• Published 22nd Dec 2013
  • 6,729 Views, 482 Comments

Extremely Loud, Intensely Bright, Drastically Tense, Exceedingly Tight - h4ns



When Bryce Smales goes to the park with his dog the last he expects is to be sent to Equestria. To some it would be a godsend. But for Bryce it is a chromatic and shrill hell. But with the help of the locals he may just discover a better life.

  • ...
50
 482
 6,729

PreviousChapters Next
Welcome to the Universe

Chapter 4: Welcome to the Universe

After about fifteen minutes of walking in the direction Bryce had chosen both boy and dog stopped when they heard what sounded like drums. Looking down at Corn Bryce asked, "Do you hear that?"

Corn was caught up in the sound himself.

Standing still for a minute they heard it again and again, though the sound followed no rhythm. "Well what ever it is it's our best sign of civilization. With a renewed vigor Bryce moved quickly in the direction he thought the noise was originating from. A few seconds later he turned to see that Corn was dragging along behind, trying his hardest to keep up. Bryce waited as Corn limped over.

"Does it hurt that much boy?"

Corn looked up with a pained expression.

"Well let's go on and take a break."

Looking around Bryce saw a fallen tree a few feet away. Picking Corn up gently he carried him over to it, much to the irritation it caused in his left arm. Placing Corn down as smoothly as he had picked him up he sat with his back against the loose bark and dropped his shoes opposite of Corn.

"OK I'm gonna give his 10 or 15 minutes and we gotta move again. There's someone or something living out here I can feel it."

Corn curled up next to his boy's leg.

After about five minutes Bryce could her the drumming sound off in the distance on a shallow hill. That has to be somebody doing that, it just has to be. Nothing natural could make a sound like that. Reaching into his pocket he retrieved his smartphone. Pressing the power button nothing happened. And this thing is useless now, he thought as he returned it to his pocket. Within ten more minutes the drumming stopped. Bryce announced, "OK Corn its been ten minutes lets get going."

Reaching his hand to nudge his dog Bryce accidently touched Corn's wound. This caused Corn to stand up and begin to bark uncontrollably.

Bryce covered his ears to drown out his dog's yelping, "Calm down boy it was just me."

After barking for close to a minute Corn finally got the message.

"Well glad to see you found some energy. Let's get moving."

As he stood both boy and dog heard the sound of galloping, and the longer it went on the louder, and more hell bent, it became. Shit are they sending the whole cavalry?

Quickly scooping up Corn the dog howled out in pain. Jumping to the opposite side of the fallen tree Bryce grab Corn around the muzzle to try and quiet him. His plan was to see what exactly they were up against before revealing themselves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Having left Applebloom at the wagon Applejack resumed gathering apples to try and get her mind off of the day's events. Not even out more than an hour and already she's worse off than if she had stayed. Ah should have never let her come out here. Deeming the tree she was working on had given as much as it could she decided to go and check on her sister.

When she reached the wagon she found her sister safe and sound, curled up asleep underneath the wagon with Winona. Gosh, that filly's done gotten tuckered out. Smiling Applejack pulled out a bottle of water and began to quench her thirst.

As she finished draining the container, however, she heard the unmistakable sound of barking not far from where she and her sister were. What in tarnation?

Twitching her ears she confirmed that it was indeed barking. Oh no. Not here. Not now. Thinking it was a timber wolf Applejack was filled with a more deepened worry.

Without thinking Applejack bolted off in the direction of the barking. That timber wolf's gonna regret ever being born. Ah'm not about to let anything else get ahold of my family.

Not hearing the barking suddenly stop Applejack continued sprinting, fueled by adrenaline and filled with anger.

In her rage she completely ignored the pair of otherworldly footwear left on a rotting tree.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Bryce peeked over the decaying bark of his and Corn's hiding spot he saw an orange and yellow streak zoom right past. Holy shit. What the H was that.

Concluding that the coast was clear he loosened his grip on Corn's muzzle and released a breath he didn't realize he'd been holding. Out loud he said, "Was that...was that a horse?" Pushing himself up by pressing his hands against the tree's bark Bryce looked in the direction the horse like creature had been going. Well whatever it was it was either run towards, or away from, something like its head was on fire and its ass was catching. Turning his head again Bryce looked to where the thing had ran from, "Well whatever the H it was it came from the direction of that drumming noise. There's no way around it there's someone over there." And the sooner we'll have to deal with a complete and total stranger.

With Corn feeling better for the moment the pair continued walking. Within five minutes they reached the crest of the small hill. All around Bryce saw a plethora of baskets under many of the apple trees, some were empty, others were literally overflowing with the fruit.

Under his breath Bryce said, "Where the H is everybody?" Looking down at Corn he asked, "You don't think your barking scared them do you?"

Corn gave no answer.

"You know you could at least add something to the discussion." But in his mind he was thinking, Yeah that'll be the day. If animals could talk I won't know what to do.

Surveying the area one more time he decided the only way to make sure they were really alone was to yell out a greeting. Positioning his hands on either side of his mouth he shouted, "Helllllllllllllooooooooooo!!!"

As soon as he ceased yelling he heard a growl coming from right behind him, "What the Hell?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Applebloom awoke with a start. Still caught in the haze of sleep she could have sworn somepony was yelling. Rubbing her eyes to clear her vision Applebloom was greeted by the sight of two beige colored poles. Yawning Applebloom ignored it and rolled over to try and get some more sleep.

She was nearly asleep when Winona began to growl, "Uh Winona not so loud, Ah'm dead tired."

"What the Hell?"

Hearing a voice she didn't recognize Applebloom opened her eyes. Her mind now more awake she registered what she had taken to be poles were instead a pair of large legs. Applejack was no where in sight.

What scared her most was that they were no more than a yard from where she was lying. And they were moving around.

A second later one of the legs bent down onto the ground. At the same time something smacked down onto to the top of the wagon making Applebloom's skin crawl. She rolled to her right, behind a wheel, just as the creature bent down some more, revealing its head. The creature took one look at Winona and said, "Oh shit!!!" before it straightened its legs, turned around, and ran away. Winona immediately took chase, her teeth bared.

Applebloom looked on as the creature tripped and fell, making Winona stop with her back arched.

Out of nowhere a dog, just smaller than a full grown mare, materialized and stood between Winona and the creature. The new dog began to growl as well prompting Winona to cower in fear, her tail tucked between her legs. When the large dog started to bark Winona turned tail and ran.

The large dog attempted to chase after but was stopped when the creature yelled, "Corn, let it go." The dog obeyed and let out a huff before walking over to the creature. When the large canine reached the creature it extended a fore limb and scratched him behind the ears saying, "It's all right boy, its gone now."

With the creature now still Applebloom began to get a better view of the . Overall the body and fore limbs were similar to a minotaur's. Other than that it was like nothing, real or imaginary, that Applebloom had ever drempt of. Its entire body was pale and mostly hairless. She could see thin patches of hair across its trunk, legs, fore limbs, and a thick, curly mane on its large, round head. Its left fore limb was a shade of pink ranging from the end to the shoulder. The legs she had seen before were very muscular, somewhat bigger than Applejack's hind legs. Its face looked like it was caught in a permanent scowl. The only clothing it had stretched from its waist down to its knees. On the sides were openings that could function as saddle bags.

Turning her attention to the dog, Corn he had called it, she saw it had a burnt yellow cloth wrapped around its shoulder.

Staring at the alien pair for a few minutes Applebloom's eyes began to droop and she lost her balance. This caused her right hind leg to stretch out making her cry out in pain. Placing a hoof to her mouth she hoped that neither the creature, nor its dog, would take notice..

Unfortunately they had.

In a flash Applebloom hid herself behind the wagon wheel just as they both turned in her direction, "Is somebody there?"

Doesn't it mean somepony?"

The dog's response was a low, frightening growl, "Corn, shh!"

Applebloom kept a hoof at her mouth, firmly planting her back against the wheel.

"If there is somebody there would....would you please come out. M...my dog an...and I need som... some help." The creature paused for a moment, "Look...I know this ma...may seem cl...cl...cliché but I...we mean you no...no harm. We got lost in that...that forest and f...found our way here. We're just lost and hurt and hun...hungry and we...we just wanna g...g...get home."

For a moment Applebloom believed the creature. But at mention of the Everfree Forest she recealled what Applejack had said about things that resided within, '...it's dangerous. There's timber wolves and other kinds of critters in there that would just love to eat up anything they can sink their teeth inta. Especially little ponies.'

She had put emphasis on that last part. Applebloom began to tear up.

After a few seconds the creature remarked, "Shit...I must be hallucinating."

Applebloom gave a quiet sigh of relief. Sliding herself down she felt something tug at her mane. In her haste her bow had gotten caught on a loose nail. The sudden tug made her squeak in fright.

"Or maybe we woke up in Wonderland. Who's there?!" The last part the creature said in an angered tone of voice.

Applebloom continued to remain silent.

"That's it!"

She heard the creature stand.

"I said we needed help!!"

It was getting closer.

"Both my dog and I are injured and you wanna play games!!!"

Applebloom's heart felt like it was going to rip out of her chest.

"Well fine if that's the way you wanna play well then game on you son of a bitch!!!!"

She tugged at her bow with all her might but it held fast.

"Let's play this game you little..."

Looking back Applebloom saw the creature's face change from one of unending rage to one of unbelievable surprise.

"...horse thing?!"

She stopped, scared stiff by its close proximity and sudden change in temperament.

Extending a fore limb it said, "Uh hey sorry I thought...I thought you were a per...person." When it could almost touch her Applebloom kicked at it causing it to retreat back. "Hey I'm not gonna hurt you. Just let me get you out of this." It made to reach for her again and was met with another kick. This one hit. Pulling its fore limb back it hissed in pain. Applebloom gulped expecting it to lash out. She rolled onto her back and tried to push herself away, but her bow had gotten tangled around the nail.

"OK...that one hurt a little. But I'm made of stronger stuff than that." Laughing to itself it reached in again.

Thinking fast Applebloom gathered up a ball of mud and threw it at the creature hitting it straight in the face. With it distracted for the moment Applebloom finally loosened her bow and ran. As soon as she got out from under the wagon the creature's dog began to bark. Spying a basket Applebloom quickly jumped into it, tipped it on its side, and just as smoothly tugged the opposite side onto the ground.

Now trapped under a basket Applebloom's hopes of survival were diminished. The creature was only distracted for a second, any minute now it would find her again, and Applejack was nowhere to be found, if she was even alive. Even if she did try and run there was no way she could outrun its dog.

Seconds later she heard the creature speak from just outside the basket. Is this it? No no no no no this cant be it. Ah don't...Ah don't wanna die. She heard the creature speak again, her mind to scared to comprehend what it was saying.

Soon after she saw the basket get lifted off the ground and the creatures feet inches away from her nose.

Knowing of nothing better to do she put her hooves onto her head, turned her face down into the mud, and began to cry. Feeling something grab onto her back she could only hope what came next would be painless.

After what felt like hours Applebloom was surprised to fell no pain come. In fact it didn't hurt at all. It now felt like it was rubbing her back. Almost like it was comforting her. Taking a chance she slowly pulled her face out of the mud and looked to see the creature was kneeling on the ground in front of her. Ah'm...Ah'm still alive? Looking up higher she saw it looking down, though not looking directly at her. The scowl it had looked sculpted onto its face was gone. Instead it was smiling.

When the creature noticed this it spoke in a soft voice, "Hey, hey. Sssshhhh. Don't cry now. I'm not gonna hurt you. I'd never hurt something as cute and as little as you." Looking closely at its eyes Applebloom saw what looked like tears beginning to stream down its cheeks.

Removing her hooves from over her head Applebloom lifted her head up off the ground. "There now, you see. You got yourself all worked up for nothing. Though I guess both Corn and I are to blame for that huh?" As the creature continued to pet her across the back Applebloom slowly stopped shaking. After a few seconds the creature stopped its gentle strokes and extended its pink fore limb. Thinking it had all been a ruse she again sank her face back into the mud.

"Hey don't be that way now, I was just getting you a treat." Looking back up Applebloom saw it holding out an apple, "Go on, take it. It'll help you feel better." Still not fully trusting the creature Applebloom gave the offering a sniff. It smelt safe. Still being cautious she lightly nibbled at the red fruit. The creature just watched her in silence. Her hunger taking over she snatched the apple from its grasp and started biting off bigger and bigger chunks until she had eaten the entire thing, core and all.

"Well now looks like somebody was more hungry than they realized, weren't they?" Drawing her attention back to the creature she found it sitting beside her. Reaching to a basket behind them both the creature gave her a second apple, which Applebloom devoured fully as well.

After a few minutes of silence the creature got onto its feet. Walking away Applebloom watched as it made its way to the wagon. Ducking under it she saw it look for something. When it found what must have been looking for the creature returned and knelt down in front of her. In its fore limb Applebloom saw her bow that she'd left wrapped on a nail under the wagon. "He...here, you left this. I was trying to unhook you but you kept swatting at me." The creature brought it closer. Taking it as a threat Applebloom shrank back. "Hey not worry, I'm not trying to hurt you I just wanna put it back in your hai...your mane is all. I bet you'd look even cuter with it." It moved towards her again.

Taking a leap of faith, Applebloom allowed the creature to try and tie the length of ribbon through her red mane. She almost regretted letting it do so when it felt like it was trying to pull a large portion of her mane out of her head. After a few seconds of mane pulling the creature announced, "Well not my best work. But at least its in there." Petting her head roughly with a fore limb it said, "Just try not to get it caught on anything else. OK?"

Laying its back against a nearby tree the creature sat silently. When it said nothing for what felt like hours Applebloom eyelids began to droop. Shaking her head she thought Ah need to stay awake. Ah can't fall asleep. It could still be trying to trick me. After she rubbed her eyes she felt something warm and wet on the side of her face. Turning in that direction her line of sight was overtaken by the muzzle of the creature's large canine. Fearing it was there to eat her, Applebloom slid back towards the creature. "Corn, leave the poor thing alone. You're scaring it." Corn just whined. "I know your hungry but we're not eating her. There's no telling what she's been in." Corn just whined again.

Applebloom then saw the creature reach into one of its saddle bags. It pulled out a fuzzy green ball. Pulling its fore limb back it yelled, "Go on Corn, get it," and threw the ball. The dog immediately ran off after it. When the dog was out of sight the creature said, "Don't worry about Corn, he's friendly. He just hasn't had anything to eat since we got here." Scratching Applebloom behind the ears the creature said, "But don't worry. I won't let anything or anyone hurt you. I promise." She took that last part to heart.

Soon after Applebloom almost feel over from exhaustion. "What's the matter little one? Are you tired?" Applebloom's only reply was a wide open yawn. "Well go on and take a nap. I'll keep watch." Standing up, Applebloom spun in a circle before curling herself up, resting her head on her tail.

Trusting that the creature wouldn't harm her, or let her be harmed in any way, Applebloom finally allowed herself to fall sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bryce watched as the small horse thing spun around in the dirt. After a few cycles she, he assumed it was a she because of the bow that he had replaced in her mane, finally stopped and coiled around into a ball. When she had finished this ritual he saw her eyelids slowly shut before closing and staying closed. After almost a minute he saw her midsection steadily rise and fall.

At the same moment Corn came back with the tennis ball. Dropping it at his boy's feet he began to sniff the tiny horse thing again.

Bryce swatted at him, "I said no. She only just fell asleep. Leave her alone."

Corn stared up at Bryce before taking the tennis ball in his mouth and walking off in a huff. Stopping a few feet away, Corn did the same ritual and was more content to just chew on his ball.

Hoping Corn would obey Bryce slowly slid his arms under the small equine and carried her over to the wagon. Placing her gently in it he bent down and whispered, "Sweet dreams little one," and gave it a tender peck on the head.

"Step away from the wagon. NOW!" an unseen voice cried out.

Not expecting this a chill ran down Bryce's spine as he lifted his hands to the same height as his head.

After a minute, when Bryce just stood there, the same voice said, "Did Ah stutter. Get away from the wagon. And my sister."

Doing as the voice had told him Bryce slowly stepped back. Did that voice just say sister?

"Stop."

Bryce did as instructed almost tripping over his own feet. This can't be.

"Now turn around and face me. And don't try anything funny or Ah'll buck you so hard you'll land on the other side of the Everfree," the voice threatened.

Fearing what he might find he turned around to face the owner of the voice. Beyond disbelief, Bryce came face to face with a small orange horse thing with a braided blond mane topped by a cowboy hat. From the look on its face he felt like it could set him on fire if it concentrated hard enough.

Thankfully that didn't happen. It instead spoke again, "What in tarnation are you?"

Seeing the little horse thing talk only continued to weigh Bryce down with fear. This isn't real. It just cant be real. Horses aren't supposed to talk.

From behind him he heard another voice, "Applejack...what's the matter?"

Turning to face this new entity hoping against hope it was what he thought it was. Just please don't be. For the love of God please. People talking to me I can take, but animals? I...I don't know if I can take that. Looking back the only living thing he could see was the small yellow horse thing he'd placed in the wagon not a full minute ago.

"Applebloom just stay there. Ah don't know what this thing is but it picked the wrong day to mess with yuh."

Rubbing the sleep out of her eyes Applebloom said, "What? Him? He's not gonna hurt anypony."

Trying to hop off the wagon Applejack rebuked, "Didn't yuh hear me Ah said stay there. This fellers getting all shaky."

"Well you're probably scaring him."

"Scaring a big thing like that? Ah doubt it."

Bryce just stood between the two bickering horse things unsure of what to. His head turned toward whoever was talking at the second.

Not wanting to believe what he was seeing, and tired of being in the middle of this spat, Bryce made a split second decision. He ran. Simultaneously the orange horse thing took chase.

"Oh no yuh don't yuh varmint!"

"Applejack wait..."

Looking back he saw the orange horse thing had nearly caught up with him and the yellow one much further behind. This is just too much. I need to get away from here and try and wake myself up from this night... As he turned around he was able to catch sight of the tree. Hitting it hard he fell backwards. Opening his eyes he saw a large red sphere bean him in the face before he blacked out.

PreviousChapters Next