• Published 22nd Dec 2013
  • 6,729 Views, 482 Comments

Extremely Loud, Intensely Bright, Drastically Tense, Exceedingly Tight - h4ns



When Bryce Smales goes to the park with his dog the last he expects is to be sent to Equestria. To some it would be a godsend. But for Bryce it is a chromatic and shrill hell. But with the help of the locals he may just discover a better life.

  • ...
50
 482
 6,729

PreviousChapters Next
Den of Thieves

Chapter 63: Den of Thieves

They were everywhere. As far as Bait could see there were enough snakes in this ditch to fill a claw foot bathtub, and yet still a lot left over to fill a wash tub. And any second now the thin root Bait was biting down on would give out, dropping the tan colt into thick of it all.

As the seconds ticked by Bait watched the snakes spit and hiss down below, each one itching to bite down into pony flesh.

There were rattlesnakes and taipans that lunged high with passion. Mambas and adders were there, the latter with their bodies puffed in anticipation. Cobras had their hoods flared and kraits, rather reclusive, had showed for the occasion.

All these and more were present, and all were quite deadly.

Bait's mouth hurt. Never is his life did Bait have to clamp his jaw shut on anything for so long, and with the way things looked there would be no second time. But he couldn't imagine what lay in wait when either his jaw decided it had had enough or the root gave out. The one bite from a rattler had been bad, but being dumped into a pit full of venomous serpents would be hell.

Then from above, Bait saw a figure. It was hard to distinguish their features, but he could somehow tell the dark figure saw him. What the figure did next caused Bait to bite down harder with almost enough force to break teeth. From the edge of the ditch the figure dropped an object. As it came closer Bait saw it was a glass bottle, and jutting out of the neck was a flaming rag. It was a wonder Bait held on as it and a second bottle like it passed him by.

When the bottles hit the ground below they shattered, spewing their contents in a wide radius. When the flaming rags touched the fluid the bottles once contained it ignited, blanketing the area in flames. The snakes that weren't consumed by the fire retreated back, spooked by the heat the flames gave off.

As if a blessing from Celestia herself, the flames thinned out from the center, parting the ditch in two and keeping the snakes at bay. Not having the willpower to hold on for half a second more, Bait unclenched his jaw and slid down in between the flames.

Bait didn't know how long he sat there, rubbing his sore jaw, but the fires continued to burn. When Bait looked back up he could see the root he had sank his teeth in, but the figure who had saved his life was nowhere in sight.

He looked to his sides, watching as a few brave serpents made a pass to pounce over the fires. But each was consumed by the eternal flames. Under him were the blackened bones of the snakes that had the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The smell of charred flesh was insufferable, but the tan colt kept on his flank. He couldn't tell if the sweat was from the heat the flames gave off, or from his close call at becoming a serpentine teething rod.

Then from above, he heard a long wolf call. Bait looked up in time to see an object falling down to meet him. He managed to prop himself against the ditch before the object pierced the ground where he'd been less than a second ago.

The object took shape. It was long, metallic, and was topped with a small cage containing a rag that reeked of alcohol. It was a torch.

Bait looked up, and found the same figure he'd seen before. When the figure saw the colt's upward gaze it stuck out its arm, pointing down the ditch.

Bait knew what the figure wanted, but he wanted answers. "Who are you?"

The figure shook its outstretched arm in the same direction, ignoring the question.

"Why are you helping me?"

The figure held its arm out, not giving any indication of a response, verbal or otherwise.

Bait let out a sigh. He could tell sitting around would get him nowhere, and whoever the figure was they were being helpful, but only just. He looked down the ditch in the direction the figure pointed. As far as he could tell it went on forever. The entire way there was a carpet of snakes, all spitting venom and itching to bite into his flesh. He looked up to the silent dark figure, who had lowered its arm and now looked down to him as if asking, "What choice do you have?"

Bait huffed. He saw no other option but to do as the dark figure wanted of him. Staring daggers at the torch lodged in the ground in front of him. There was no way he would be able to carry it in his hooves, leaving him to have to carry the metal rod in his teeth. He rubbed his aching jaw, anticipating the pain he was about to inflict on himself. Taking a deep breath, Bait reached forward, and took the torch in his mouth.

Almost as soon as his lips touched the metal rod the flames started to flicker. With little time to react, Bait gripped the torch hard, ignoring the pain and ignited the cage part before the fires were little more than embers.

With the fires gone the snakes closed in fast. Bait swung the lit torch around, knocking a few back. The rest were pushed back at leg's length while a few were charred to a crisp.

With the torch in his teeth, Bait ran down the ditch, swinging the torch from side to side as he went. He went along for what must have been miles, moving his hooves fast enough to miss the toxic sting of every snake he passed by. At times the river of snakes would thicken, but Bait would swing the torch, reducing them to ashes.

After a while, just when the torch was starting to burn out, the snakes dispersed. Bait didn't notice this at first, not until the torch had gone out and there wasn't a single snake to be seen. Skidding to a halt, Bait spat the torch out of his mouth. The coppery taste was left behind, but his teeth thanked him for the sweet release that left his mouth numb to all feeling.

He took the time to catch his breath. He looked back where he'd come from and was surprised to find the ditch empty. He looked to his front and found the same. But as his vision cleared he took note of something on the horizon. It was hard to make out, but there was something there.

He walked towards the horizon at a light trot. Very slowly the thing at the end of the ditch came into focus. It was a bridge.

At seeing, this Bait quickened his pace. When he was close enough to fully make out the bridge he came to a stop.

Standing in the center of the bridge was the dark figure. When it noticed Bait it waved before letting loose a rope over the side. When Bait didn't move, the figure beckoned him forward.

After what Bait had been through he threw caution to the wind. Right now he wanted to get out of this ditch, and hoped he never saw another snake as long as he lived.

It all seemed to be over, but when Bait was a few steps away the ground began to tremble under him. The figure above him noticed this, as well, and urged the colt to hurry.

Doing as asked, Bait looped the rope around his fore legs. Tugging at the rope, the figure began to draw the colt up.

As the figure continued to wind the rope, Bait could only watch as the source of the rumbling came into sight. He could hardly believe what he saw. Coming towards the bridge, with fire spewing from its back was a creature that made Bait want to rub at his eyes.

The bottom part was like that of a pony, but much larger. This part was at three times the height of Big Macintosh, and about the same proportion as long. Entwined around its equine form were more snakes that were nothing like Bait had seen before. These were long and slender with black and light blue stripes running down their length. But it was the upper portion that held Bait's attention. At the front of the creature, where a pony's neck should have connected to a head was a human torso, complete with arms and a bearded human head. The smile across its face spread from ear to ear, exposing crooked teeth. In its hands it held a long wooden club about the diameter of a full grown tree at its thickest point. Standing astride the human-pony hybrid's shoulders was a dragon that bellowed a column of flames. Both of the beasts had the deepest red eyes; the shade of red one would equate with violence and merciless rage.

The figure drew the rope in at a renewed vigor. But it mattered little as the dragon astride the centaur's back flew from its master’s shoulders and caught the figure in its claws.

Bait fell, getting knotted up in the rope when he hit the ground. He retched around, trying to loosen the ropes grip but only managed to trap himself further.

The centaur kept its pace, giving no indication of stopping anytime soon. It gripped the club in its hands, the maniacal grin spreading across its bearded face even further.

When Bait finally released himself from the rope he rolled to the side, narrowly avoiding the centaur's heavy hooves. Before the centaur could stop and turn back, Bait had gotten to his hooves and ran the opposite direction. But the centaur caught up with Bait with ease. Taking the club in one hand, the centaur swung widthwise, but missed the tan colt. It swung again and again, but Bait managed to dodge every swing. After a while the centaur had had enough.

Hefting the club over its shoulders, it lobbed the bludgeon ahead. The top impaled in the earth, with the handle almost reaching the top edge of the ditch. But it had the desired effect as it blocked the path, making the way impassable.

Bait came to a halt, unable to go forward. The centaur stopped as well, not once lowering its bloodlust smile. It took a few steps toward the tan colt, leaving noticeable holes in the ground with each stamp. Bait found himself backed into the club.

When the centaur found itself close enough, it gave a low laugh that chilled Bait to the bone. Its red eyes seemed to dance like flames in its human eye sockets. The laugh grew in volume to where Bait could almost say his ears were bleeding.

While still laughing, the centaur drew back its fore legs, placing all its weight on its hind legs. When the centaur's fore legs went past its head, it held them in the air for a second before it began to drop them back down.

Bait, seeing no way out, froze on the spot.

Then, just before the centaur's fore hooves were halfway down it was thrown backwards. From above the dragon, which had gone after the black figure, rammed into its master.

The figure let out a whistle from the middle of the centaur's club, getting Bait's attention.

Bait looked up, and let out a gasp. The figure, who was indistinguishable before, now took shape. It was Bryce. "Bryce, what in the hay-"

Bryce waved a hand, silencing the colt before waving upwards. He mouthed, "Come on!"

Taking the hint, Bait straddled the club and began to climb up. When he reached Bryce the human grabbed Bait by the nape of his neck and pulled him up. Placing the tan colt on his shoulders, Bryce climbed the rest of the way. Bait sniffed the air, and found it odd how the human reeked of the undeniable scent of smoke.

When Bryce reached the top of the club, Bait jumped up, leaving the ditch. The colt turned back to help his friend the rest of the way.

Bryce gripped the colt's fore hoof, and pulled, but was pulled back himself.

From below, the centaur had righted itself and now had Bryce by the leg.

Grabbing the human's hand with both hooves, Bait pulled back, but the centaur's superior strength dragged Bait and Bryce down.

The centaur laughed the same hysterical boast as it pulled the human back into the ditch.

Bryce shook his hand loose of Bait's grasp. In a last ditch effort, Bryce pressed his palm forward. But instead of pushing Bait away, as he had wanted, the colt was shot away with an invisible force.

As the tan colt flew away from the ditch at a high velocity, the world slowly faded to white.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bryce rushed to Bait's bed, and was quick to send the black foal that lay on the colt's chest to the floor.

"What do you think you're doing!?" He said through his teeth.

The mare, ignoring how Bryce had shoved her away, glared back. "You're welcome," she said before vanishing in a puff of smoke.

Bryce stared daggers at the spot where the mare had been.

From the door, Nurse Tenderheart, who had been accompanying the human into Bait's hospital room, could only stare. "Bryce, is something wrong?"

He looked to the blue nurse, his face void of anything having happened. "It's nothing, I just wanted to check on my friend. How has he been doing?"

"I think it best we check his wound before I answer that. Come on in, Nursery Rhyme, this is the part of the job you'll need to get used to."

A light tan filly came through the door, donning a nurse's caps on her brown curly mane. She didn’t say a word as she hopped onto the foot of the bed.

By now Bait had awakened, and let out a big yawn. "Boy, I haven't slept that well in a while." He saw Bryce standing over him. "Hello, Bryce. Is it that time again already?"

"Yep, afraid so, buddy."

Bait yawned again. "Well, let's get it over with." He hung his fore leg over the side of the bed.

"I can assure you, I take no pleasure in this, but I do find it quite a bit of fun," Nurse Tenderheart said without a hint of jest. "Now watch closely, Nursery Rhyme. You may never have to deal with anything like this, but it's best you know how, just in case."

With the nurse filly in position at the end of the bed, Nurse Tenderheart cut the bandages away from Bait's envenomed leg. When the wound came in contact with the air the tan colt gave a hiss. He kept his head turned to the side, not wanting to see a part of him meant to be covered by skin and fur.

Nursery Rhyme watched as her mentor cleaned the exposed flesh with care, and later spread ointment before redressing it. If she were a filly training to be in any other position she would have fainted at the sight of blood. But this is what she wanted to do and she was going to do it until she had a cast iron stomach, just like Nurse Tenderheart.

Once Nurse Tenderheart was done, Bryce asked, "Well, how's it look?"

"Rather well, actually. In truth, it's healed tremendously since last night. With hopes he should be out by tonight. Nursery Rhyme, what did you think?"

The filly took in a deep breath. "I think it looks like an exposure of flesh that is usual for a snake bite victim. After his discharge the patient will need to come back to have the wound closed surgically, but in the meantime should avoid any unnecessary exposure and keep the sight clean. He'll also need a few weeks of physical therapy, as well as a prescription of high grade pain medication to counteract any ill effects the wound gives the patient. After that it will be as if it never happened."

Bryce and Bait looked at the filly, beyond belief at her medical acumen. Nurse Tenderheart smiled. "Very good, Nursery Rhyme. That's exactly right."

The filly's blank face made it impossible to tell how she felt about the compliment.

Bryce turned to Tenderheart. "Nurse in training?"

After a few seconds, Nursery Rhyme asked, "Can I go and color now?"

Nurse Tenderheart nodded in approval, and the filly hopped down and made her way out of the room without another word.

"Yes, a nurse in training," Tenderheart said once Nursery Rhyme was out of the room.

"Well, that was...enlightening." Bryce brought a hand to his head and brought it away, opening his fingers and saying, "Boom."

"Quite," Bait added.

"Yes, she's quite gifted. Now then, breakfast will come by in a few minutes. And if Doctor Stable will do his job he should come around noon to check you over, and then discharge you." When the boys said nothing afterwards, Nurse Tenderheart said, "I'll give you both the room. It was nice to see you, Bryce."

With the nurse gone, Bait began to slowly move his jaw. Bryce caught on and asked, "What's wrong with your mouth?"

He continued to open and close his mouth, finding it almost unbearable to move his mandible. "I don't know, but my mouth feels as if I bit down on a metal rod." He thought for a second. "I remember something, but it's faint."

"Like what?"

"It was..." He shook his head. "Whatever it was it's gone. It must have been a dream. Anyway, how have things been on the outside?"

Bryce shrugged. "Eh, they've been the same. I get up, help Rocksalt with his paper route, go to work, go home, play with Apple Bloom or whittle, then go to bed; with a few breaks in between to eat. But I did see Dinky and her sister last night. Amethyst said they would come by sometime later today. And I also got a return letter from your uncle. He'll be here today, too. Other than that same old, same old."

"How have Amethyst and Dinky been?"

"Amethyst's worried about you. Dinky hasn't said much since the incident. But she perked up a little when she heard you were doing better."

"That's good to hear. As long as she and Apple Bloom are well this is worth it."

"Well, it didn't happen until they were out of the hole. But after all the surgeries, the being put under, and the 10 to 20 antivenin jabs, that I know of, I would think the bite was the best part of it all."

"You can say that again. This is truly the best sleep I've had since you brought me in."

Bryce gave Bait a blank stare. "I can see how you would think that, but it wasn't me who brought you in. You'd be dead if I had."

"Oh, then who may I ask did carry me all this way?"

"Well," Bryce hesitated. "It may sound hard to believe, but it was Applejack."

If Bait had been in the process of drinking, he would have done a spit take. "I'm sorry, but you must be confused."

Bryce shook his head. "Nope, it was AJ. Like I said: If I'd brought you in you'd be dead before I could get you through the front door."

"But...that makes no sense."

"Maybe not, but she did."

"Did she say why?"

Bryce shook his head again. "Whatever reason she had you'll have to ask her yourself." He opened the front casing of his watch and checked the time. "Well, it's almost time for me to get to work. And there's one more thing." Bryce rummaged inside his satchel, producing a thin cord. He held it out for Bait to see.

Hanging on the end of the cord was what looked to be a miniature ear of corn. "What is that supposed to be?"

"It's the tail of the snake that bit ya."

"The tail of...the snake that bit me...?"

"Uh huh, listen." Bryce shook the rattle, producing the unnerving sound Bait had heard a few days before.

"Well, that's...nice."

Bryce held it out to Bait. "I made it for you. After all, it's not every day you survive a bite from a rattler."

Bait would have rejected the item, but said, "I would say keep that thing away from me, but since it's from you I'll take it." Bait took the necklace and looped it over his neck. He took the tail end and shook it, getting the same result as Bryce. "That's quite terrifying."

"Well, I wouldn't want to meet the guy who walked away without being spooked. But I have to get going now. Take it easy, Bait. I'll come by after work and hopefully take you back to the farm." With a wave, Bryce went out the door.

Almost as soon as Bryce had left, there came a food cart. It was pushed by pale yellow nurse who looked to be sleepy eyed. The nurse put the tray on a rolling table and rolled it over to Bait, but cut short when she laid eyes of the tan colt.

"Well, I don't believe I've seen you here before." She looked at the chart at the foot of his bed. "Hmm, Bait-and-Switch. I don't think I've ever heard of a name like that before."

"It's not a very common name," said Bait.

"It's nice though. And it says here you turned 18 a few months ago. Em, you're my kind of stallion."

Bait gave the nurse an odd look. "I'm sorry...?"

"Oh, where are my manners. I'm Nurse Snowheart, and I'll be serving you your meals today."

"Yes, well, thank you, Ms. Snowheart. Do you think you could-?"

Snowheart laid down on her fore hooves at the end of the bed. "I'll do anything you want, sugar. All you need is ask." She batted her eyes.

Bait swallowed. "Yes, do you think you could maybe bring my meal over here?"

"Right away." Nurse Snowheart walked over to the rolling table, swaying her rear end in Bait's direction. When she reached the table, she 'accidently' bumped the glass of orange juice off, sending it to the floor. "Oh, clumsy me. I better clean that up." She then bent down with a wash cloth, giving Bait a better view of her rump. Bait looked up at the ceiling, not liking the mare's display in the least. It did little to hide his blushing cheeks, however.

After she was done wiping the juice out of the floor, she stood back up and said, "You wait right here, I'm going to go and get you some fresh juice to keep your immune system in good working order. And maybe give you an extra boost of energy for later," saying the last part under her breath.

Bait was happy to see her leave. With the nurse gone, Bait made an attempt to roll the table over to him, while still keeping on the bed.

It didn't go as he'd hoped when he fell forward, hitting his lacerated leg and crying out in pain.

Around that same time, Amethyst came walking in with Dinky at her side. The magenta mare was shocked at what she saw. "Bait, what are you doing down there!?"

"Amethyst..." He said, trying to recover from the pain.

Amethyst gave a grunt. Using her magic, she placed the colt back in bed and rolled the table over to him. "What in Celestia's name were you doing?"

"I was trying to get breakfast. The nurse-"

As if answering his call, Nurse Snowheart came back in with a glass of orange juice balanced on her back. "I'm back... Oh, you have visitors," she said with a dismissive tone. She almost slammed the glass onto the table. "I’ll come by later to clean up whatever's left, if there’s anything left." She went back out of the room, coming close to bumping into Amethyst as she did so.

Once Snowheart was gone, Amethyst shot Bait a glare. "What was that?"

"What was what?"

Amethyst narrowed her eyes.

"It was nothing. She was the one who was, uhm."

Amethyst began to tap her hoof.

"You don't honestly think I would do something so heinous, do you?"

"I don't know, is her face red because of her, or are you mad because I cut the show short?"

"That's...complicated..." Bait gave a meek smile.

Amethyst gave a huff. "Come on, Dinky, we're leaving."

"But, Amy," Dinky protested.

But the magenta mare would hear none of it. "Now!"

Turning to Bait, Dinky said, "Get well soon, Bait," before being ushered out of the room.

As the two sisters left the room they passed by a middle-aged grey stallion with a salt-and-pepper mane. Upon his entrance Ponzi found his nephew with his head planted in his hooves, shaking his head. After a few seconds, Ponzi Scheme cleared his throat.

Bait looked up. "Oh, hey, Uncle Ponz,” he said with no enthusiasm.

"Did I interrupt something?"

"No, you didn't. It was a misunderstanding."

"Oh. So was that the famous Amethyst Star?"

Bait gave a sullen nod.

"What happened?"

Bait pointed behind his uncle. "That happened."

Turning back, Ponzi found Nurse Snowheart leaning against the side of the door, tapping her hoof. "How many visitors are you going to get, I need to check you up." And check you out. She thought, hiding a smile to herself.

Just when Bait was prepared to chuck the glass of orange juice at the pale yellow nurse, they all heard somepony call from down the hall, "Nurse Snowheart, you get away from there, right now! You've been told about this before!"

Before the plump purple nurse could reach the doorway, Nurse Snowheart went running down the hall and out of sight.

Entering the room, Nurse Sweetheart said, "I apologize for that. Nurse Snowheart tends to become a teeny bit involved with some of our adult male patients." Which is why she's been assigned to the mares and foals. "I hope she was no trouble."

"No, no trouble," Bait said. "All she did was make me look like a lecherous teenage colt in front of the mare I was close to becoming my official fillyfriend." He fell back onto his pillow.

Nurse Sweetheart brought a hoof to her mouth. "I'm so, so sorry for that. Is there anything I can do to help?"

Bait was close to waving her away when Ponzi spoke up. "If you would kindly go and inform the magenta unicorn who left not too long ago of the situation. She was with a grey, purple toned filly who had a horn, as well."

Sweetheart gave a smile. "Sure, I'll go and do that right now." She ran down the hall, wanting to get to Amethyst before she could get too far away.

Ponzi turned back to his nephew. "There, you've been saved an unfortunate fate. Now, how are you feeling?"

Bait shook his head with a smile. "A lot better. Thank you, Uncle Ponz."

Ponzi smiled back. "Anytime, nephew. Anytime."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bryce's concentration was turned away from his work when he heard the whistling and howling of his male coworkers. Normally, Bryce would disregard this, but when he saw what had caused the current commotion he stopped. This time the three stallions' attention was on the silver mare who would show up at the construction site around noon every second day.

Bryce stood up and threw his hammer into a pail of nails, which he made sure was far from the edge, and began the climb down.

When he got to the bottom he found the guys chatting with the mare, who gave a polite smile while at the same time turning them down. Ambrosia kept busy, rolling her eyes at their mannish behavior.

Noticing Bryce, the mare walked over to the human. "Hey, you. You ready to have lunch?"

"Yeah, I'm ready. Let's go."

The pair took their usual route away from the sight, heading into town and then becoming lost down an alley.

Once they were alone, Bryce said. "How have you been?"

"I've felt better than I ever have before, though I feel a little drained this morning. I went out on a limb and went for a long walk this morning. But now I'm regretting it."

"Well, you're not cured yet. But you look a lot better than when I saw you the other morning."

"Yep, and it's all thanks to you. And let me tell you, the doctors are really baffled by my sudden 'recovery'."

Bryce smirked. "I'm sure they've never seen one so good. But you reminded me of something I wanted to ask you."

"Oh, what is it?"

"What's your name?" Bryce asked bluntly.

The mare said nothing for a few seconds. "My...what...?"

"Your name, what is it?"

After a few more seconds the mare laughed, waving her hoof. "You're funny. I'm sure I've told you."

"Well, that's the thing; you haven't. I asked around the hospital this morning and they don’t know what to call you, either."

The mare laughed again. "Nice one, Bryce. Now, could we get on with..." The stare Bryce gave her made it obvious Bryce wasn't about to drop the issue. "But...I'm sure I told you... Didn't I?"

Bryce shook his head.

"Oh... Darn... I could have... Well, my name is... It's..."

Before the mare could think of what to say, Bryce jumped to the side, narrowly being pelted by a water balloon.

Bryce and the mare looked to where the projectile had originate, and found a rather infuriated Thunderlane. He had a fresh water balloon in hoof, and many more like it in his saddlebag.

"You!" Thunderlane snarled.

"What is it now?" Bryce asked. Thunderlane threw the balloon in his hoof, prompting Bryce to avoid it like a plague rat.

"What the H!?"

"I want my flight!"

"This again? I've told you-" Bryce avoided another water balloon.

"You're nothing but a liar. I did what you asked me to do. I went and did an act of hu- Hu- I did a good thing. At least 20 good things for ponies, and after all that I still can't fly."

"Well, then you didn't really do-"

Thunderlane lobbed another water balloon, not giving Bryce time to finish.

"Don't you dare throw that!" Bryce screeched, trying to keep his voice down as to not draw attention.

"I won't if you give me what I want."

"I've told you already how you can get it back. It's your own fault at this point."

"Oh yeah. I did what you wanted. I helped an old mare carry her groceries home. I gave a bit to a beggar. I even gave my little brother the last popsicle. And still this." He flapped his wings, but remained planted to the spot.

"Well, let me ask you this: After you did all that did you hold any contempt for the person in your heart, or did you feel they were beneath you after the fact?"

"What’s it to ya?" Thunderlane barked back.

"Well, why did you follow me out here to tell me all you've done if you're so humble?"

Thunderlane lowered the water balloon in his hoof. For a few seconds he did nothing, but he then started to tremble with rage. Drawing his hoof back, he let the liquid filled balloon fly.

It missed Bryce by little more than a foot. "If you hit me with that-"

"You'll what, crush me?" He asked as he threw another balloon from his saddlebags.

"I'll do worse to you, you egotistical-"

Thunderlane threw the water balloons, his aim blinded by his rage. Bryce was able to dodge every one the slate grey pegasus threw at him, but he could tell he was being pressed into a corner.

This proved true when Bryce's back came in contact with the concave corner of a building. It left him in the worst possible position for Thunderlane's single remaining water balloon.

"Any last words?" The pegasus asked.

Through clinched teeth, Bryce said, "I'm going to pop your head like a fucking grape."

Thunderlane gave a toothy grin as he drew his hoof back for one final strike.

But before he had to chance to set it free, the mare shouted, "STOP IT!!!" And with those two words a garbage can exploded outwards, dazing Thunderlane enough that he lost his hold on the balloon. He tried to regain his hold, but it hit the ground, spewing its contents.

After watching his last weapon disintegrate, Thunderlane looked up to the silver mare's peridot eyes and found it hard to look away. He could have sworn he'd seen Bryce come into this alley alone, but then again the human had been the only thing he was focused on.

The mare was pissed; way past being mad. Staring deep into Thunderlane's eyes, without blinking once, she slowly stepped forward. "What do you think you’re doing!?" She said through her teeth.

Thunderlane soon found himself backed into a corner. "I... He..."

"SHUT UP!!!" She growled back. "I don't know what all has happened between you both, but from what I just saw he should do worse to you."

"But he-"

The mare levitated a garbage lid over, smacking Thunderlane across the face. It sent the pegasus to the ground, but he held his gaze on her eyes.

"Did I say you could talk!?"

Thunderlane said nothing back.

"I don't care what Bryce has done to you, but what you did was something only a foal only half-- no, a quarter of your age would do. As long as I've known him he has been nothing but kind to me. But you, you've been nothing but a little colt whose ball got taken by the big kid. And that's all I see you as." The mare turned to the side, showing off her beautiful figure. It gave the desired effect as Thunderlane looked on, barely able to hide his self. "Do you see this beautiful body? This mane? It's because of Bryce you're able to look at it now. And it's because of what you've done that you'll never be able to have it." The mare turned back, coming nose to nose with the slate grey pegasus. "If you ever do anything like this again, anything Bryce can think to do to you I promise I can do ten times worse."

Thunderlane watched as he saw what looked like flames fill the voids where her eyes once were. He shuddered in fear, shutting his eyes tight. He opened one a crack, and saw her eyes were again the green peridots he'd seen before.

"Now, leave my friend alone!" She snarled.

Thunderlane ran off in fright, more afraid of the silver mare than he had ever been of Bryce.

After he was gone, the mare lowered her guard, and fell back on her rump. She shook, the air feeling cold against her skin.

Bryce took a knee next to her and felt her head. "Hey, are you alright?"

"I'm fine. I'm just a little winded."

Bryce felt for her pulse. It felt like she had just finished the 100 meter dash in less than 5 seconds. "I think you better lie down."

"I think you're right." She fell on her side, unable to hold herself up.

Without hesitation, Bryce rubbed his palms together and spread his life force all over her body. He may have given more than he should have for a work day, but right now that mattered little.

The mare let out a pleasured grunt as Bryce finished. "Thank you, Bryce. I feel a lot better now." She got back in a sitting position.

"Take it slow; that stuff takes a while to kick in sometimes."

"I'm fine now. But I can't say the same for you. You look like a ghost."

Bryce looked himself over, and saw she was right. "Yeah, well, after what happened I lost myself. I'm sorry."

"It's okay. You were just trying to help. I hope this doesn't affect your work, though."

"It will, but I'll come up with an excuse." He checked the time on his watch. "And I need to get back soon. Are you going to be okay?"

"I'm sure I'll manage. I'll take it easy the rest of the day, I think."

"Well, that's for the best." Bryce got to his feet, feeling shaky. "Hey, you never did tell me your name."

"What...? Oh, that, um... It's..." The mare racked her brain, but nothing came up. "Darn, I can't think of it now."

"That's fine. I'll just call you...Mina." Bryce stated.

"Mina? Where did you get that from?"

"It's from a book back in my world. A book about a vampire. A good book about the grandmaster of all vampire literature, and not one of those modern ones that are made from wood that would have been better used to make stakes with. In this book Mina was greatly ill herself at one point. But don't worry; she got better."

"Is that so? If that's the case it seems like a good fit. Mina?"

"Well, I have to go now. Take care, Mina."

As the newly dubbed Mina watched the human go past her line of sight she smiled. For once she felt happy. It filled her heart to just have something to go by.

Meanwhile, as Bryce approached the construction site, he spotted Rivet speaking with an older, light brown mare. Whatever they were talking about was finished by the time Bryce reached the pair.

Rivet looked to Bryce. "Hey, Big Ole. How'd things go with your fillyfriend?"

"My what?"

"You know, that unicorn you've been leaving with the past few days."

"Mina? She's not my girlfriend, if that's what you mean. We're just good friends."

"It looks to be more than that to me," Ambrosia said as she trotted over. "What do the two of you keep doing?"

"I've been helping her out with something," Bryce replied.

"Something like what?" Ambrosia inquired.

"'Something'."

Ambrosia eyed the human, but shrugged it off, knowing he wouldn't answer. "So, Riv, what did Mayor Mare want?"

"Mayor Mare?" Bryce asked.

"Yeah, she's the mayor of Ponyville."

"The 'mayor' or the 'mare'?"

"The mayor."

"Wait, is her name Mayor Mare, or Mare Mayor? Or is it Mayor Mayor? Mare Mare…?"

"What are you...? Whatever. Riv, what did she want?"

"This involves all of us, I'm afraid." He waved over his brother and Offset. "Fellas, I've got some bad news. The mayor informed me she's pulling the plug on this construction job."

"For how long?"

"Indefinitely."

That sent a moan through the group.

"I know, but that's the way it is. I have everypony’s severance. If there are any construction jobs in the future I'll send an express letter to you all. Until then I suggest you all check the job board. All I can say to you all is good luck. And if any of youse needs a reference I’ll be happy to help."

PreviousChapters Next