• Published 22nd Dec 2013
  • 6,729 Views, 482 Comments

Extremely Loud, Intensely Bright, Drastically Tense, Exceedingly Tight - h4ns



When Bryce Smales goes to the park with his dog the last he expects is to be sent to Equestria. To some it would be a godsend. But for Bryce it is a chromatic and shrill hell. But with the help of the locals he may just discover a better life.

  • ...
50
 482
 6,729

PreviousChapters Next
The Sting

Chapter 56: The Sting

As Bryce and Bait took a seat outside at the restaurant close to the train station, they heard the locomotive pull up to the platform.

Bait said, "There it is. My uncle should be on there, if what he wrote is to be believed."

The way the tan colt said it with such spite concerned Bryce. It was a tone he knew all too well, though had the pleasure of not hearing it in recent times. "Well, I doubt he would lie about it. He's come before."

Bait-and-Switch gave no response as he sat back on his rump.

Bait was the first to spot the middle aged stallion. "There he is. Coming out of the second to last car."

Bryce had to squint to better see the greying Ponzi Scheme. "Yeah, that's him." Bryce allowed that to hang in the air a few seconds. When Bait showed no interest of moving to meet his uncle, he said, "You know, he's here to see you."

"I know."

"Well, shouldn't you go and-"

"No, you go. Like you said you would."

"I know what I said, Bait, but he's your uncle."

"Who abandoned me."

"Yeah, but he's still your family."

Bait gave a huff. "Says you."

"Well, he still is, regardless."

"Quite so," said Ponzi Scheme, who had crept up on the two boys with a pair of saddlebags. "Hello again, Mr.Smales." Bryce answered with a wave. "I doubt I have to guess why you are here this fine afternoon?"

Bait was quick to stand up. "I have to go and use the facilities," he said with his back turned to his uncle. When the tan colt entered the stallion's restroom he was glad to find himself the only one there. Running over to the sinks, he turned on the faucet and splashed cold water into his face to clear his mind.

As he turned off the tap and watched the water run down the drain he tilted his gaze up to the mirror. He gave the glass a nasty glare. After a minute, Bait looked up to the wall to the clock. I read it was a around five minutes past twelve. Looking back to the mirror he thought to himself, Okay, I'm going to give them a few minutes. A few minutes more and then I never have to see that deceitful bastard ever again. I don't care what his reasons were, or why. After I get the last of my bits he's dead to me. And that's the end of it.

All the rage of his uncle's abandonment had been boiling inside Bait-and-Switch for months now. But now that his uncle was here, he hoped for the last time, the tan colt could do little but fume.

As he stared down his reflection his thoughts took on a mind of their own. They brought up the ten years he had lived with the middle aged stallion. All of the heists they'd pulled off. All of the important lessons his uncle had taught him. How for the first time in his life the colt had had a real bed to sleep on in place of a couch that was way past its prime.

Bait's uncle had taken him out of that kind of life with his mom, and now he was putting him back into it.

After a few minutes more, Bait broke his gaze with the mirror and looked back to the clock. It was almost 12:15. "Well, that's long enough." Wiping his hooves off, Bait exited the bathroom and went back to Bryce and his uncle.

At his approach, they both became quiet and stared him down. "So?" Bait asked.

Bryce stood and walked over to the colt, bending down to his level. "Bait... You'll hate me for this, but I think you should listen to what he has to say."

"What!?"

"You heard me. Bait, just give him a chance. He's your family."

"Bryce, I can tell-"

Bryce grabbed Bait by the nape of his neck and pulled him in close. "Listen to me. If you at any point in your life ever look at him as family then you will do this. If I'm wrong, then we can both walk away now and we'll never talk about this again." He released the tan colt.

Bait glared up to his friend in disbelief. If that had come from anypony else, Bait would have blown them off without a care, but then again Bryce wasn't a pony. Though he was reluctant, Bait nodded.

"I'll give you both some time," Bryce said. Bryce looked to Ponzi and gave a nod.

Ponzi gave a small, unbelieveable smile. "I... thank you, Mr.Smales. My only regret is that you had to get involved in this."

"Well, I was a part of this ever since... Well, you know."

Bryce walked off, leaving the two ponies alone, save for the restaurant's few other patrons.

As Bait took a seat across from his uncle, he saw Bryce get caught up by a rather giddy Rarity. They exchanged a few words before Bait saw the white mare drag Bryce off in the direction of her boutique.

With Bait now alone with his uncle, he was beginning to regret listening to the human. For the longest time they said nothing; only exchanging sideways glances. After a minute, a waiter came over to their table with two steaming mugs placed on a tray. After placing the mugs in front of the two stallions, the waiter went back inside.

From the smell emanating from across the table, Ponzi had gotten his usual ginseng tea. The smell of the drink alone always made Bait wonder how his uncle could drink ginseng. By itself it smelt of dirt. He couldn't imagine what it tasted like.

Bait look down to his mug, but didn't drink from it. "It's hot chocolate," Ponzi said.

"I know what it is."

"Yes, I suppose you would." The gray stallion gave a small smile. "I can still remember how much you would drink when you were a foal. Had to make it for you by the gallon whenever you first moved in with me. And still to this day come winter you always have to have a cup everyday until all the snow melted away and the flowers came in bloom."

"Yeah, so!?" Bait shot back, not taking his eyes off the mug.

"I suppose this old stallion is wanting to see you like this just one last time."

Yeah, well, you saw me, Bait thought. Now get on with whatever speech you've made to try and win me over, leave my bits, and we can go our separate ways.

"I know we've never discussed this, and when we have it has never been so straight forward, but you have always been the son I've never had." Ponzi took the first sip of his tea to allow the message to sink in. "You can doubt me if you want, Bait, but it is how I feel. Whether you feel the same way I do not know. Regardless, it is how I feel."

And just like my mom you're giving me away.

"When we first met I doubt you knew of me, and I didn't know you, but since then you've become like me in more ways than one. And that, Bait-and-Switch, is why I thought it best you be away from me."

That was enough to cause Bait to look up to his uncle, who had now found himself unable to meet his nephew's gaze. "What...? What do you mean?"

"Let me explain: When I was a foal, about the same age you were when you came to live with me, my father taught me his ways, which he learned and improved upon from his father, who he also learned from his father before him as far back as can be remembered. And I, in lieu of any foals of my own I knew for sure were mine, passed that knowledge down to you."

When the old stallion fell silent, Bait said, "So your taught me your ways, but I still don't understand why you would leave me here."

After taking a second sip of his ginseng, Ponzi asked, "Do you know why there are no ponies in our line of work who live past my age? It is because as we get older we begin to accumulate more and more enemies; more and more ponies who would be able to identify us when we passed them by. Some may confront us, some will spit on us, but a few aren't so forgiving."

Bait cringed, afraid of where his uncle was going with this.

"My great-grandfather and his brother were murdered in his sleep from a long line across their throats. My grandfather was done in after taking a drink from somepony he'd swindled a family heirloom from years before. And then there was my father." Ponzi had to swallow before he said, "He was...burned alive in a warehouse after a deal that went horribly wrong."

Bait watched as a single tear fell from the old swindler's tired eyes.

"When I heard about what had happened I was more scared for your life than I was angry. I was afraid it had been you that was almost burned alive. I can only thank Celestia I was wrong."

After hearing what his uncle had to say, he wanted to still hate the stallion. Maybe he wanted to spit on him himself for good measure. But any feelings the tan colt had had for him were little less than an afterthought now.

Lifting a small spoon, Bait swirled the contents of his own mug around a few times. After feeling satisfied the hot chocolate was mixed well enough he placed the spoon back on the table, grabbed the mug, and went to take a drink, but couldn't bring the porcelain cup to his lips.

Putting down the mug, Bait sat and looked to the old stallion. For the first time, Bait could see just how old his uncle had become. It was evident by the cracks that had formed across his face and the gray hairs in his mane. He didn't know if was from his time with Granny Smith, but he could see it in his face as plain as day.

"Uncle Ponz..." Bait struggled to form the words. "Why are you telling me this? And why now?"

With confidence, Ponzi said, "Because, Bait, I want at least one pony in our family to be able to live to see their grandfoals. Grandfoals they know for sure are of their own flesh and blood. I'm not saying you go and do it now, but one day I hope you have have the privilege to...to..." Ponzi downed the rest of his tea and slammed the mug on the table. Under his breath, though still loud enough for Bait to hear, he said, "I can only hope you will understand this one day."

For a while Bait said nothing.

The meaning behind Ponzi's Scheme's words held weight.

A little cliché, perhaps, but nonetheless true.

Ponzi then said, "I heard from Bryce just before you came back from the, uhm, facilities. You seem to have a fillyfriend, unless I'm mistaken?"

Bait's face reddened up almost instantly. "Who, Amethyst? Well, we're not necessarily, you know, together. But we... We're..." Bait shook his head. "It's complicated."

Ponzi gave a grin. "With the opposite sex, it's never simple. Ever. But from what Bryce told me it looks promising."

"Oh, well, you know."

Taking the saddlebag of bits, Ponzi placed them before his nephew. "I don't know if this means anything now, but here is the rest of what I promised you. You can do with it as you wish, but I suggest you get your own house. Maybe a tract of land to build one upon. Something with enough room to fit more."

"Uncle Ponz!!! I haven't even kissed her yet!"

"Has she kissed you?"

"She...has, but it was more out of appreciation; a peck on the cheek. Not like, you know..."

"An old stallion can hope, can't he?"

"Well, yes, but... I guess it's like you say: If you want something you have to keep pursuing it until it yields. And I must say, I want her."

Ponzi gave a laugh. "That's the spirit, boy. And don't you ever forget it. I'm glad you learned at least one good thing from me."

Opening the flap on the saddlebag, Bait looked its contents over. "I thank you for the money, Uncle Ponz. But..."

"Why the hesitation?"

"It's...something I want to ask you for first." Bait then told his uncle about something that had been on his mind for a while now. The entire time the aged stallion sat with his head rested on his hoof.

When Bait finished, Ponzi asked, "Bait, I can understand your conundrum, but why can't you do this yourself?"

"I would, Uncle, but he...knows my face. It's not like I had much choice. He saw Bryce and I together."

Ponzi brought his hoof to his chin. "I see. I suppose you can't. But, Bait, I-"

"Uncle Ponz, I feel responsible for this and cannot just brush it off any longer. I only want to ask you for this one thing, and only one. If need be, I'll give you back every single bit."

Ponzi raised a hoof to silence the tan colt. "No, Bait, that won't be necessary. I may be a swindler at heart, but I'm not so shallow that I would charge family. I'll do this gratis, provided you pick up the tab for our beverages."

Nait furrowed his brow. "What happened to not being shallow to family?"

"You see, Bait, I will do a service such as this with ease, but somepony has to pick up the tab. Now hurry and drink your hot chocolate before I order a second cup of ginseng."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Rarity had pulled Bryce away he took no notice to how eager she was to have him all to herself. He went with her, all the same, since she insisted he needed to have a fitting. With Bryce's recent spells of near wardrobe malfunctions involving his pants and the way his shirts were coming close to being short dresses he agreed it couldn't wait any longer.

After almost dragging the human all the way to Carousel Boutique, they entered inside. In an instant the white Persian kitten that had once trapped itself inside the boutique's walls came running out, almost pouncing into Bryce's arms.

Bryce had to hold himself together from the surprise attack. "Well, when did she get here?"

"Just last week," Rarity exclaimed. "It took some doing, but I think she may be coming around."

"That's great. Have you named her yet?" Bryce asked as he held the kitten in his arms.

"Not yet, I'm afraid. I've been thinking of a few names, but I can't ever find the one that would set her apart from the rest, if that makes sense."

"It does, actually. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure you'll sniff one out soon enough."

Rarity was a bit perplexed by Bryce's choice of words, but her mind was caught up in thoughts more... prurient. "Yes, you're probably right." She then used her magic to draw the kitten out of his grasp and sit it on the floor. "But right now we should get to taking your size,. Not your size, your measurements. In fact, I think I should make you a suit as well. Everypony should have something couth to wear for...certain occasions. Now, disrobe and take stand up straight."

The white mare had Bryce disrobe down to his underpants. For the next several minutes Rarity went to making quite sure she got Bryce's form to every eighth-of-an-inch. Bryce could be wrong, but he could swear the further south the mare went the longer she allowed her tape measure to linger.

Twenty minutes later, feeling satisfied she had taken Bryce's measurements to the best of her ability, Rarity announced, "And that should do it. You may relax now." After jotting down a few notes, she said, "I must say, your measurements have shrank quite a bit since our first encounter? Oh, you must be working out," she said in a flirtatious tone.

"Well, yeah. I've been getting up early for a few months now with Rainbow. The nurse said it was for the best and I agreed with her."

"Oh...yes. But still, you are much slimmer than when we first met. And is that a muscle I see there on your...shoulder?"

"Probably. I got a job last week. I'm working for the construction crew outside of town. I've been having to do a lot of heavy lifting for them."

"Is that so? Well if you keep this up I bet you could carry, I don't know, a mare up to the bedroom."

"I can do better than that: I had to carry a cement mixer up five floors. Turns out I didn't even have to."

Rarity was beginning to become aggitated with the human. I can understand somepony being dense, but this...? UGH!!!

Without warning, she heard a loud snap in her ear. "Rarity, are you alright?" Bryce asked.

"I beg your pardon?"

"You were just standing there for a minute without saying or doing anything. I counted."

"Was I? Silly me. I was just thinking about something rather...important to me." She ended this with a graceful pose that showed off her best side. The air around her seemed to sparkle with a bewitching radiance.

"Like what?" Bryce finally asked.

With those two words the glow encircling Rarity dimmed as she forced back a sneer. I can understand somepony not getting it, but this...? I guess it's time to pull out the big guns.

"Well, it's something I feel needs a pair of fresh eyes. I've been trying to figure it out by myself, but no such luck."

"Is it your cat's name?"

She wanted to shout back, "IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY CAT, YOU STUPID, STUPID, STUPID FOAL!!!" But being a lady, she instead made herself stay calm and said, "No, it's not that. It's something I find more important than that." She walked to the bottom of the stairs that led to her bedroom. "I think it best if you come and see for yourself."

As she began to trot up the stairs, Bryce stopped her to ask, "Is it alright if I put my clothes back on first?"

"Oh, why of course, darling. If you feel you must. But please do take your time. I need to get it set up first. Just remember to knock before you enter."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For what must have been at least the thousandth time that day, Rumble sat on the sofa and watched as his brother, Thunderlane, pace around the living room. After a few repetitions, Thunderlane would stop in front of the grandfather clock and watch for a few seconds as the seconds ticked by before trotting around about another five-to-ten times. A few other times, Thunderlane would look out the front window, but only came back to the same trek.

Rumble might not be as smart as his older brother claimed to be, but he could tell whenever a pony was anxious about something. But after an hour, Rumble began to wonder if it wasn't something that was causing Thunderlane's mania. What if instead it was somepony? Or someone?

When the grandfather clock gave a single chime to announce it was half past the current hour, Thunderlane jumped up to the chandelier. "What was that? Did you hear that!?" He shouted.

"It was just the clock, Lane. Just like it was the six or seven times before."

"Yeah, well, why does it have to do that?" He asked as he came down. "Who would want to know what time it was anyway?"

"You, obviously. You keep looking at it and saying: Almost 1. Almost 1. Almost 1. Then you start rambling on about-"

Thunderlane gave the colt a glare. "About who!?"

If he had thought his older brother were of sounder mind, Rumble would have said the name of He Who Must Not Be Named. But Rumble was sure on how he would react. "N- Nopony. What's so important about 1 o'clock?"

"Nothing. It's just...one of those times of the day, you know?"

"One of those times of day for what?"

"Don't question me! Just... Go outside. You're bugging me."

Right now, that sounded like a good idea. But that morning, after he had to watch as their parents lectured Thunderlane, Rumble had been tasked with keeping a close eye on the older pegasus. And after Thunderlane had came home in the middle of the night going on about watches, black eyes, and rainbows, Rumble wasn't going to go against his parents' word.

"It's doesn't look like a good day." Was all he could manage to come up with.

"Not a good day? What do you mean? There's...sun and dirt and..."

"Bryce."

Hearing that name made the slate grey pegasus jump right back up to the chandelier; screeching like a scared filly or who'd seen a large cockroach. "What, he's outside. LIKE RIGHT OUTSIDE!?!?!?"

"No, Lane, he's-"

At that moment, there was a knock at the door.

For a few seconds, neither brother dared to move.

Thunderlane said, "I thought you said he wasn't out there."

"He's not. I- I never said...?" Taking his time to make it to the door, Rumble took hold of the door knob and opened the door a crack; enough for him to see who was outside.

Instead of finding Bryce, he found an old stallion. He had grey fur, a salt and pepper mane, and a business suit. When he saw Rumble peeking out, he said, "Hello, I'm looking for Thunderlane at this residence. Is this a bad time?"

The way the stallion said it in such a proper and mild manner caught the colt off guard. But he also felt a hint of caution, despite the stallion's advanced age. "I... I..." Was all he could get out.

From above, Thunderlane jumped down from his perch and threw the door open. When he saw it wasn't you he had expected, he felt relieved.

"Oh, you're just the one I was looking for."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Beg pardon, but is your name Thunderlane?"

"Th- That depends. Who's asking?"

"Well, Mr.Thunderlane, I am happy to announce that you are the winner of our big sweepstakes."

Thunderlane raised an eyebrow. "Sweepstakes?"

"Yes, from WingMag. The magazine for all things pegasus sports and fitness."

The stallion racked his brain, trying to remember. "I don't remember..."

"It's okay, the sweepstakes announcement did go out more than six months ago. And it looks like your name was drawn."

"It was? For what?"

"Why, for the chance to become a member of Wonderbolts aerial stunt squadron."

"For the Wond- THE WONDERBOLTS!?" For a second, Thunderlane was beginning to doubt the stallion's words, but after hearing that he was considered to be a part of the best group of pegasi that ever existed, he couldn't pass that up. He was Thunderlane, after all. "You mean I'm going to be a Wonderbolt?"

"Of course, but..."

"But... But...? Why but!?"

"I don't know how to better say this, but there is the matter of the security deposit."

"Security what?"

"The security deposit. You see, before you can be officially recognized as a Wonderbolt you will need to pay for the equipment. There's the bodysuit, of course, then the goggles, the room and board."

While Ponzi listed off random items and Thunderlane listened on, whose thoughts were blinded by the offer, Rumble was not taken up in the ruse. "Lane..."

"Rumble, hush. The grown ups are talking."

"But Lane!" Using his back leg, Thunderlane kicked the colt back inside the house. The grey colt went rolling through the house, only stopping when he hit the back wall.

"Sorry, my little brother is a twerp."

"I can understand," said Ponzi. "Now, the price. It's a bit steep, but in the end I promise you it is quite worth the risk. 1500 bits. In coin."

"Fif- Fifteen hundred?"

Ponzi raised an eyebrow, looking Thunderlane over. "You can pay that, can you not?"

"I- I don't know. That's quite a bit of bits."

"Then I apologize for wasting your time." Ponzi made his way to leave. "I hate to ask you this, but do you know where I could find Miss Rainbow Dash?"

"What!? Why do you want her for?"

"I wasn't completely honest with you. The contest was for one pegasus. I've already been to see around 20 other pegasi and they've all turned me down. Oh well, I have to pay the bills somehow. Maybe Miss Dash will be more willing." Ponzi turned and walked off.

But Thunderlane wasn't going to hear of it. He ran in front of the aged stallion. "Now hold up, you're going to go and see Rainbow Dash? The best she's ever done is a few somersaults and twirls. And my little bro can do that."

"And as I said, Mr.Thunderlane, we need 1500 bits. And unless you can pay the fee, I'm afraid my business with you is-"

Thunderlane ran back inside. When he came back out a few seconds later he had a bag almost to the point of breaking with bits. "Here. I have the bits. Now please say I'm in."

Ponzi was dumbfounded, but he looked the bag over. "This looks to be the proper amount." He pulled the bag up onto his back. "You've saved me a lot of leg work. I can't wait to see how you go, Mr.Thunderlane. I'm sorry, Thunderlane, soon to be Wonderbolt. That has a nicer ring to it."

"Oh ho, you know it, mister. When they get a look at what I can do it'll put Spitfire to shame." With that, Thunderlane jumped up in the air.

This was perfect.

With the bits now in this stallion's hooves there was no way Thunderlane could possibly pay for Bryce's watch.

If he couldn't pay for the watch then Bryce would have to give him his flight back.

If Thunderlane had his flight back then he could... Well, fly.

And if he could fly he could impress the Wonderbolts, and then become one of them. Maybe even become captain of the entire squadron.

Sure, he shouldn't have taken the extra needed bits from his parents' coffee can in the pantry, which he wasn't supposed to know about, but it wouldn't matter when he was a Wonderbolt. When he was a Wonderbolt he would be able to pay back his parents by a hundred coffee cans full of bits at the least.

Thunderlane felt on top of the world.

PreviousChapters Next