• Published 22nd Dec 2013
  • 6,729 Views, 482 Comments

Extremely Loud, Intensely Bright, Drastically Tense, Exceedingly Tight - h4ns



When Bryce Smales goes to the park with his dog the last he expects is to be sent to Equestria. To some it would be a godsend. But for Bryce it is a chromatic and shrill hell. But with the help of the locals he may just discover a better life.

  • ...
50
 482
 6,729

PreviousChapters Next
Honor Among Thieves

Chapter 62: Honor Among Thieves

That morning, despite countless attempts at feigning illness, his mother managed to coax the dull brown colt out of bed, run his paper route with Bryce, take a shower to get the sweat out of his fur, and got him ready for his first day of school.

When he and his mother had arrived at the schoolhouse they found the rest of the colts and fillies in Cherilee's pre-afternoon class, who along with their parents were waiting for the bell to ring and the doors to open. Many of the foals were scared, just like he was, while others looked to care less whether they would be away from their attention grabbing older siblings or their annoying younger ones. The few who lacked either were happy just to get away from the watchful eye of their parents.

It didn't take long for Rocksalt to spot Almond, who was prepared to sprint off at the sound of the school bell.

Rocksalt walked over to the almond filly. "Hey, Almond."

The almond colored filly turned back to speak with the colt. "Hey there, Rocko, how's it going?"

"It's okay, Ah guess. Where's your sister at?"

"Oh, she's under our Mom." She pointed under a light cream mare, revealing a pair of chocolate eyes that stared back. The second filly gave Rocksalt a wave and a weak smile.

From the side, Kernal pulled the filly out from the safety of her mother. "Come now, Pecan. You should at least be able to say hello to your friend with being afraid."

"Oh, leave the filly alone, Noyau," Cocoa rebuked in her accented speech. "She has every right to be scared. Zere is no telling what can happen." She eyed the colt with the same chocolate eyes as her twin daughters. "And zis one seems like a, how you say... A ruffian."

"He may be a tad rough around the edges, but he's a good boy." Whipping Cream stated. "You just need to get to know him."

"Oh, I know he is," Kernal said. "How are you today, Rocksalt?"

"I'm doing okay, Mr. Nut."

"But I can see you're a little anxious. Don't worry, it's just one of those things that seem scary now but you'll look back and laugh on. I remember my first day of school myself. I was scared our teacher was a big fire-breathing dragon who would chop us all up in a tick. And I also remember a certain filly, who shall remain nameless. She used to pick and tease me for being a 'scared little ninny' from the first day we met. She did that until one day I decided I'd had enough and stood up to her. What happened after that I can't rightly recall, but let's just say she still won't leave me alone."

"Mom, you were a mean girl?"

"Oh ho ho, I zink I remember it in, how you say... Another way." Cocoa said, giving her husband a sly smile.

"Um, I don't know what you could possibly mean, Cocoa."

"Oh? You don't remember how you stood up to moi? What of ze paint zat was put on my seat?"

"Yes, well, it was a nice color. It rather complemented your palette."

Cocoa gave a laugh. "I almost forgot zat part. It was a good color."

"It was, it was." Kernal turned to Whipping Cream. "And you must be Rocksalt's mother?"

"Yes, I am. I'm Whipping Cream. It's nice to meet you both."

"No, the pleasure is our's, Mrs. Cream. And is there a mister?"

"No, it's only us. His dad's staying in Manehatten for business right now."

"Well I'm sorry to hear that. But in the little time I've been with your son I can assure you he's a good boy. My daughters seem to like him, at least, so he can't be all bad."

The plump mare tried to hide the smile, showing pride for her colt. "That's really nice of you to say, Mr. Nut."

"Oh no, you can call me Kernal; it's what my friends call me. And this is my wife, Cocoa." The light cream mare bowed her head. "And these two fillies are Almond and Pecan. They're just a couple of Nuts from the same Nut."

"Oh, that's clever. It's nice to meet you all."

"Yes, well, I can tell you our meeting was from a mutual friend we share, Bry-" Kernal winced, catching himself before he could finish.

Cocoa Buerre raised an eyebrow at her other half. "What was zat?"

"What I meant was... You see-"

Before Kernal could think of something to pull himself out of the fire, the schoolhouse bell rang, and with it came a fuschia colored mare at the front door. "Alright, my little ponies, time for class." She said in a happy tone, prepared to meet the latest batch of young minds she would sculpt into the productive mares and stallions of tomorrow. "If you would all proceed in a orderly fashion we can begin the day."

All the parents gave their foals one last hug and a kiss before sending them under the fuschia mare's guidance.

Before Rocksalt left, Whipping Cream pulled him in close. "I know you hate it when I say this, but be good, Gelati. And be polite to the teacher. I've heard she's a sweet lady. And whenever she says something be sure you say 'ma'am'."

"Uh, yeah, Mom, Ah got it. Now I gotta-"

"Just one more hug." They two ponies gave eachother a tight hug that lasted for a while, sneaking a single kiss to the other. When they released their hold, Rocksalt ran inside.

When Rocksalt entered the schoolhouse he found it hard to hear anything over the noise the other foals made inside the small, single room building. The teacher, Cheerilee, tried to yell over the foals but anything she could say was lost amongst the chatter.

With little else to get her students' attention, Cheerilee began to rummage around in her desk. She found what she was looking for, though she seldom had need for them past the first day. It was a pair of earmuffs, which she proceeded to place over her ears.

Before any of the foals knew it, there came the loud, head spliting sound that could only be made when one ran their hoof across the chalkboard. It had the desired effect as the room went quiet after a few seconds of this.

After removing the earmuffs from her head and placing them back where they went in the desk drawer, Cherrilee said, "Alright, my little ponies, I realize you all must be very anxious to begin the school year, but you will all have time to talk later. Now, if you would all find yourselves a seat we can begin."

As the foals moved around the room, all the while complaining about a low ringing in their ears, Rocksalt found it difficult to find himself a desk.

Every chance he had the seat he wanted was either taken before he could lay claim, or the foal who sat next to him would snear at him, daring him to take the seat.

By the time everypony was seated, save for Rocksalt, there was only one desk left in the back of the room, which he took. It was by a stroke of luck that his two neighbors happened to be the Nut twins.

"Hey, Rocko, glad you made it." Almond said.

Seeing that all the students were quiet and seated, Cherrilee began, "That's better. I'm your teacher, Miss Cherrilee. I see a few faces I know and a lot more I don't. I'm sure we'll all get to know eachother eventually. I'd like to start the day by going around the room and have you all introduce yourselves."

At hearing that Rocksalt's heart sank.

"We'll start with you, at the front. Then we'll move down and to the back row."

For the next few minutes the dull brown colt couldn't hear a word of what was said over the sound of his own heartbeat. He knew any second it would be his turn to tell the other foals about himself. And then it would be only a few seconds more before the teacher told everypony what Rocksalt had accidently left out.

When the line came down to his row it was Pecan who went first. She spoke in a voice almost too quiet for even Rocksalt to hear. "Um, I'm Butter Pecan... And... Uhm..."

"Sorry, but I didn't quite hear what you said." Cheerilee said from the front of the class.

"Uh..."

Seeing her sister's distress, Almond decided to butt in. "Her name's Pecan, and I'm her twin, Almond. Our Dad runs the nut stand on Market Days, and our Mom's a cook."

"That's nice. Is your sister feeling okay?"

"She's okay; she's just quiet. It's what our Mom says. She also says that I'm the one who needs to 'asseoir et fermer elle putain de bouche.'" Almond said in perfect Prench.

"Oh... And what does that mean?"

"I don't know, she won't tell us."

"Well it's nice to meet you, Almond, Pecan. Now, let's begin our first-"

"Wait!" Almond shouted. "You forgot about Rocko."

"Did I? So I did. And Almond, when you want my attention you should raise your hoof. Now, you there." Cheerilee said, pointing to Rocksalt. "Would you mind telling us your name and a little about yourself?"

Rocksalt shot Almond a death stare. "What?" She mouthed.

Rocksalt cleared his throat. "My name's Rocksalt. I-"

From somewhere up front, a foal coughed, "Butthole." Sending a wave of laughter through the classroom, save for the very back row.

Cheerilee stomped her hoof, cutting the laughter short. "Settle down, class. Rocksalt was kind enough to stay quiet while you all spoke so you can show him the same respect." A few of the foals gagged, resulting in a second hoof stomp from Cheerilee. She looked back to the dull brown colt. "Go ahead, Rocksalt."

"I... I live with my Mom. She makes ice cream for Sugarcube Corner."

"Well, I suppose you get to have all the ice cream you want, huh?"

"Not too many times. My Mom won't let me have too much. And I, uh, have a job as a paperboy."

"Is that so?" Cheerilee exclaimed. "I guess I have you to think for my morning paper."

"Ye- Yeah, I guess so."

"And your accent, is it Manehatten?"

"Ye- Yes ma'am."

"I thought so. Well it's nice to meet you, Rocksalt," Cheerilee said with a smile.

Seeing the teacher smile made Rocksalt feel uneasy. He knew this was it; the moment he had been dreading. What was meant to reassure the colt he saw as coniving. He felt on the verge of puking.

Instead, Cherrilee looked across the room. "Is there anypony else I missed?" The silence that resonated from the foals gave the fuschia mare her answer. "Alright, my little ponies, unless there's anything else let us begin the day by introducing you to 26 friends I'd like you all to get acquainted with." She walked over to the chalkboard and proceeded to write a collection of lines, bends, and curves that held meaning to the brightest of foals. "The alphabet!" She said, as giddy as a schoolgirl.

For once, Rocksalt felt relaxed. He didn't know if Miss Cheerilee knew what had happened with him, but if she did she didn't show it. Pulling a sheet of paper and a pencil out of his saddlebag, he began to copy down each individual letter. Mr. Nut had been right; he could look back on it and laugh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bryce yawned, as he had done for at least the hundredth time that day. Between getting up before the sun rose and then going about his usual work day the fatigue had begun to sink in. And it was made all the more worse when Bait insisted he come with him to God knew where. It wasn't that he minded spending time with his best guy friend, but it had to happen on the day Dinky would be staying late at the farm. And it had felt like forever since he had seen either her or Apple Bloom. But still he went along with Bait, who promised he would get him back before Dinky had to leave for home.

But their trek down the road past the apple farm wasn't the only thing that had intrigued Bryce that day. It was the addition of a black eye to the tan colt's usually shrewd face.

Bait claimed it was from a rogue apple he had bucked down from a tree. But after seeing the way Bait would tense up when Applejack came around made him wonder if it had been a rogue apple of a different sort.

But Bryce remained silent about the situation and instead passed the time by tossing a tennis ball to Corn, who carried a clingy Jack that struggled to hold herself around the canine's neck.

When they came close to the fifteen minute mark, Bait announced, "Here it is."

The pair stopped at a fork in the road. One way continued off into the infinite; the other into a copse of trees.

Without a word of explanation, Bait walked down the latter fork, with Bryce and Corn close behind.

After they walked for a little over a minute down the second path, Bryce asked, "Bait, what are we doing out here?"

"I suppose you've waited long enough. As you know, I recently came into a good amount of bits from my uncle. Well, after our last meeting I thought it wise I take his advice."

When Bait didn't say more, Bryce asked, "And that advice was?"

By then they had cleared the treeline, and emerged into a wide open area that descended at a shallow angle on one side and ended up at a small hill on the other before meeting a plateau. The plain part was a large flat area, with the occassion outcropping of trees. The large plain may well have went on for miles before coming to Everfree Forest far in the distance. It may have been beautiful, but it was overrun with tall grass that had grown past Bryce's knees. Down the slope, Bryce could see the silver glint of a river that fed into a large lake or pond downstream. On the other side, which was up a shallow slope from the plain, the area gave way to a second flat area before rising up to the plateau.

"My uncle advised me to buy a plot of land. And from the looks of this property I think it prudent I do so."

Bryce looked to Bait. "You want to buy all this? How far does it go?"

"All the area from the plateau, down the hill, , to the forest, to a few yards across the river."

Bryce gazed across the land. "This has to be about a square mile."

"Close to one-and-a-half, to be precise."

Bryce looked back to Bait, doubting the seriousness of his friend. "This can't be cheap."

"Quite right, but they did give me a rather good price. 42,500 bits."

Bryce shook his head. And I thought 5,000 gold was a good deal for land and the materials for a little starter home. "And that's for all this?"

"That's correct."

"Well, it's a nice place, but why did you bring me out here?"

"Yes, the reason. Well, I was thinking that while having land would be nice, I think it's a little much for me."

"So things have been going good with Amethyst?"

Bait gave a chuckle. "They have, but she was not who I had in mind."

"Well, who did you...? Oh..."

"Yes, you."

Bryce gave the land a thorough look over, not missing any details. "You want me to come a live with you, on this?"

Bait gave a nod.

"I like the idea, but this place... It's so... Big... So big and...and open. I mean, if you wanted to you could start a village here."

"That's an idea, but I doubt it would happen in our life time."

Bryce scratched his head as he curled and uncurled his toes. "Bait, I don't know."

"I'm not saying you have to; it's only an offer. Just think about it. Let's go and take a look up the slope."

When they reached the top of the hill they looked back. The view of the the river and the land was sublime. Here the grass was much shorter, coming up to Bryce's shoes. Somehow nature had carved ot the area in such a way to give the view down below a beauty no mortal being could create.

"This would be the perfect place for a house," Bait commented. "You can practically see the whole thing from here."

"Yeah, I'll get behind you on that," Bryce said in agreement. "Not that I'm saying yes, but it's nice."

Corn barked, giving his approval, as well.

"Yes, but I think I've kept you long enough. Let's get back to the farm, shall we?"

As the trio made their way back down the slope and reentered the tall grass, Bait let out a cry. "What is it!?" Bryce shouted.

"I felt something crawl under my hooves."

"Did you see what it was?"

"No, but it wasn't very-" Bait froze.

"Bait, what is it?"

"It's...on...me..." He said, trying to keep his movements to a minimum.

"Okay, just stay still. Can you see what it is?"

"No... It's crawling...up my...back..."

Bryce paced over to Bait, and looked down the tan colt's back. Bryce placed his hand on Bait's back, allowing the creature to crawl up his arm. "It's safe."

Bait looked back, finding the snake that clung to Bryce and his dog like a moth to a flame wrapped around the human's arm. Bait narrowed his eyes at the serpent. "Darn you, Jack."

"Hey, she's family." Bryce said as the scarlet kingsnake coiled around his neck. "She's harmless. But this is a good warning to watch your step. Tall grass is good hunting ground for her less friendly cousins. So watch where you step and go slow. And don't antagonize them if you can help it."

It didn't take long before Bait came to a stop a second time. Bryce caught on quick to the colt. "Okay, just stay still. The worst thing to do now is to move. If you move you'll frighten it, and then it'll strike."

Searching through the grass Bryce found a stick, though not as long as he would have liked. He picked it up and made his was over to Bait. When he got there he could see the serpent, and it didn't look good. From the looks of it it looked to be a copperhead, though the grass concealed most of its form.

"Okay, I'm going to put this stick on the back of its head. When I do you step back."

Bryce bent down, and placed the stick on the snake. "Go!" Bryce said in a low voice.

Bait did so.

With the stick still firmly planted on the snake's neck, Bryce grabbed it from just behind where it was pinned. Dropping the stick, Bryce used his now free hand to grab the snake midway down its body.

When he brought it up to the light the bright red and yellow scales gave away its identity. "It's safe."

Bait stepped forward with cautious steps. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah, it's safe. It's nothing but a corn snake." He held it down for Bait to see, though the colt still remained a safe distance away. "Suit yourself; he's not a biter." He held the serpent up to his eye level. "Sorry, friend, but I already have Jack." The snake flicked its forked tongue out at the human. "Yeah, that's what she said. Well, see ya next time." Hefting back his arm, Bryce tossed the snake a good distance away.

With the snake gone, Bryce, Bait, and Corn continued through the grass without further incident.

When they came upon the fork in the road, Bait said, "I cannot get over how calm you were. Have you done something like that before?"

"Like what?"

"Have you had to pick up a snake like that before?"

"Yeah. But not for a long time."

"Well, regardless, it was quite impressive."

"Well, that was a small one. If it had been a foot or more longer I would have had my work cut out for me. It also helped that it wasn't a biter because I doubt you could get me to the hospital before I croaked."

"In all fairness, I wouldn't try. We are friends, but I think you would have a better chance if I ran to the farm. Let Big Macintosh or Applejack break their backs. They're more built for the task."

Bryce shrugged. "Eh, you have a point. So, what happened with AJ?"

"I guess there's on point in denying it any longer." Bait cleared his throat. "Along with advice on how I should spend my inheritance, my uncle also suggested I should try and make amends with those I've wronged."

"And it didn't go as planned?"

Imitating Big Mac, Bait said, "Nnope."

Bryce chuckled at that. "Well, you can't blame her. You did try and kill."

"Yes, I don't deny it. If I could have taken it back I would. But it's out there and I there's nothing I can do to make up for it."

"Well, there isn't, but in the end I bet you feel better for being here now."

"I can agree. After everything my uncle told me about the outcome of the stallions in such a line of work this did turn out to be the better alternative. Plus, in addition to meeting you I also had the pleasure to meet Amethyst Star."

Bryce smirked. "Well, so it's all good on the Amethyst front?"

"It's had its ups and downs recently. Ever since she took a job as a foalsitter I don't see her as often. But when I do it feels like forever."

"I'll take your word for it." Bryce went silent.

Bait noticed his friend's silence. "How about you, Bryce? Have things been well between you and Fluttershy?"

Bryce was slow to give a response. "I really don't know. I mean, she kissed me."

"Well, that sounds like a step forward to me."

"It was just a kiss on the cheek. And that's was for... For helping her with her pet. But since then she doesn't seem to want anything to do with me. When I see her anymore it's like I distract her. I've tried talking to her, but then she finds something she needs to do right that second. And even then she won't look at me."

"I'm sure she means well. Whatever she does it for I'm sure isn't meant to spite you. Maybe when you think you are distracting her it's because she doesn't know what to say at that moment."

"Well, whatever it really is there's no point in me trying. There's no way she could go for a guy like me."

"And why is that?"

"We're too different."

"Different?" Bait questioned. "From what I have seen you both are close to being one and the same. You both like animal, and you're both helpful to everypony. You both may not be much at home in a crowd, but when it comes to affection you're like a pair of cuddly teddy bears. How can you say you're so unalike?"

"Because I'm a human. And Fluttershy, she's...not... She deserves to be with someone her type. Someone who will treat her right and not end up bringing her down with them if things turn south. She could never like a human, much less..."

Bait didn't need to guess what the human didn't have the stomach to say. "Bryce-"

"Tell me this, would you ever tell Amethyst about your past. About all the thousands and thousands of bits you took from unsuspecting ponies?"

"That's...questionable. But if I did, and if she did care for me, I'm sure she would be mad but would try to get past my shortcomings...eventually. And I'm sure anything you told Fluttershy about your past-"

"Bait, don't. I know what you're going to say, but I've made my peace with this. Just...please, drop this and let it lie. It just. Wouldn't. Work"

Bait wanted to say more, but he could see there would be no getting through to the human. There was more he could say, but now wasn't the time.

When the group reached the front yard, they were a bit surprised to find all the grown ups in a frenzy. The older Apple members were all there, Ditzy and Amethyst, as well. It didn't take long for them to figure out why they were all in such a state.

Amethyst was the first to notice the boys. "Bait, Bryce, have you seen Dinky or Apple Bloom?"

"No, we were out inspecting a property." Bait explained.

"Well they're missing. We searched around here but no luck. Can either of you think of a place they'd be?"

The boys shook their heads.

"Darn. Well come on and help us. If we can't find them soon..." Amethyst couldn't manage to finish that thought. "Just help us, please." The magenta mare pleaded.

Before Bait could take more than three steps forward, Applejack blocked his path. "Oh no, you ain't doin nothin."

"Applejack, I-"

"No, you listen. I'm not gonna let ya go past the barn. After that poor excuse ya gave ta me today I shoulda done you in."

"I can assure my intentions on this are pure. I may not like you, but I'm not so low that I would harm a foal."

"Yeah, but let's see ya say that when nopony's around."

They both shot eachother a death glare.

Bryce stepped between them to intervene. "The two of you stop it! All this time you've been arguing you could have been looking for the girls. Whatever's going on you drop it."

"Why are you defending him?"

"I'm not defending anyone. You're the one who's letting this get in the way of your sister's safety."

Applejack gritted her teeth. She turned away from the pair. "If you find them, and if either one a them fillies are hurt, I'm blaming you personally." She ran off, calling the fillys' names as she went. Winona falled the apple mare at her heels.

Bryce and Bait teamed up, with Corn following close behind.

For a while the boys followed after Corn. But despite the German Shepherd's heightened sense of smell he couldn't find a scent.

Around an hour later they had turned up nothing. Not even a single little hoof track. It all seemed hopeless until Bryce spied a hole in the ground not far off. "There!" He shouted.

"Bryce, how can you be-" Bait started to ask.

Corn began to bark, drowning out Bait's words. The dog ran to keep pace with his boy.

When Bryce reached the ditch he gave a smile. He found the two fillies huddled close together at the other side of the depression. "There you are. We've been-"

His words were cut off by the intrusion of a rattle. When he found the source his face recoiled in horror.

By that time Bait had caught up. "Bryce, are they-"

"Shh!" Bryce said, silencing the tan colt.

"Bryce, what's wrong!?"

The human pointed down into the part of the hole closest to where he was kneeling. Following his finger, Bait saw what caused his pause.

Opposite the two fillies, coiled to strike at the slightest movement was a snake. It shook the end of its tail, releasing an unnerving rattle. "Please tell me that's not a biter."

"I wish I could. It's a timber rattler, one of the more dangerous of the venomous snakes." Bryce punched the ground. "Damn it all!"

Bait looked over to the girls. The only indication they were still alive were from Apple Bloom's darting eyes. Dinky lay craddled in the yellow filly's fore legs, not meeting anyone's gaze.

"Have you been bit?" Bryce called down in a low voice.

Apple Bloom shook her head, which almost went unnoticed.

"What about Dinky, is she alright."

"A- Ah don't know. She won't say anything."

"Okay, just stay there and stay still. We're gonna get you both out of there."

Bryce and Bait retreated a short distance away from the hole. Bryce pulled a long, straight limb out of a tree and began to clear away any residual branches. "Okay, Bait, I'm going to need you to take this after I'm done with it."

"Wait, Bryce, you can't mean for me to-"

"You're going to take this stick and pin that rattler."

"But you have more experience doing...whatever one calls that."

"Yeah, but I have the longer arms. While you keep a hold on'm I'm going to pull the girls out. And don't say you can pullt hem out. If you tried they would pull you down there with them."

Bait hated it, but he had to agree with Bryce. "What do you need me to do?"

"I'm going over towards the girls. When I get over there you need to press the end of this stick down just behind his neck." Bryce handed the forked stick to the tan colt. "You need to really bear down on it now. When that thing feels you on'm he's going to fight you all the way." Bryce gripped Bait's shoulder hard. "But you don't give that fucker the privilege. If you give him even an inch he'll slither out, and he'll go for the first thing that he can get." Bryce released his hold. "Now let's do this."

It didn't take them long to get into position. Bait met Bryce's eyes.

The human held up a hand, and with it three fingers.

Bait nodded, understanding what he meant.

Bryce shook his hand once.

The rattlesnake hissed down in the hole, shaking its rattle.

Bryce shook his hand again, lowering a finger.

Apple Bloom swallow, her mouth feeling as dry as a bone.

Bryce shook his hand, lowering a second finger.

Bait tightened his grip on the stick in his hooves. What happened when Bryce gave the cue was all dependent on how well the colt did his part.

When Bryce dropped his last finger Bait sprang into action. When he pressed the stick onto the snake's neck its body slithered around, trying to break away. But Bait held the serpent down.

While this happened, Bryce lowered his hand down to the two trapped fillies. "Girls, come on!"

Apple Bloom was the easier of the two to get out of the hole. Dinky, however, refused to move as she held her little hooves tightly against her chest. She had tears in her eyes.

"Dink, come on!" Bryce shouted.

She remained comatose.

"DINKY!!!"

The purple-grey filly heard the human's word, but she couldn't take her eyes off the snake.

"Damn it, DINK!!!" Giving a growl, Bryce dropped down in the hole. Grabbing up the unicorn filly, Bryce cradled her to his chest, causing her to flay about in protest.

As Bryce was in the process of climbing back out the rattlesnake finally found its opening. It took advantage of this and wiggled free.

"Bryce, hurry!" Bait-and-Switch cried.

As if pushed on the his words, Bryce leaped out, with Dinky in tow. He narrowly missed the serpent's bite by less than a second's time.

Bryce fell down on his side, his heart beating in his throat. He looked down to Dinky, who had calmed down enough to keep still. When her heard her sob he knew then that she was alive. He wrapped her in a tight hug. "Dink, thank God." He kissed her head.

Down in the hole the snake had yet to accept defeat. It pounced upwards, trying to grab Bryce's low hanging shoes.

"Bryce," Apple Bloom said, "that critter's about ta get ya."

Bryce satthimself up, looking down into the hole. He gave a silent laugh. "That thing's not getting me from down there You know why, becuase I'm up here, and he's down there," he taunted.

Bait, who was lying down over the edge of the hole, said, "Bryce, please don't make jokes right now. Somepony could have died."

"Well, no one did. You did good though, while you had'm."

"I tried, but he found a way."

"I know, but you did your part and it paid off. Sprout, are you okay?"

"Yeah, but Dinky still hasn't said anything."

Bryce held the shaken filly. She had tears streaming down her face, but for the most part looked to be unharmed. "Dink, are you alright?"

She didn't give an answer.

"Dink, I'm sorry for yelling at you, but I was worried. If you're hurting I need to know."

Dinky shook her head.

"Good... That's..." He hugged her to his chest.

"Is she safe?" Bait asked.

"Yeah, she's safe."

Bait wiped off his forehead. "That's good, because from the way Applejack looked she-" Bait let out a hiss.

"Bait?" Bryce looked over, and saw it immediately.

The whole time Bryce had been cradling Dinky no one noticed the rattlesnake had picked a new target; one much closer to his strikes. And that had been Bait.

The snake had its fangs sank into one of the tan colt's fore legs. Already the sight where it was attached was going numb from the venom. Bait couldn't move.

Not letting himself fall victim to shock, Bryce placed Dinky on the ground and ran over to Bait. Pushing him over on his back, Bryce gripped the snake around its neck. It didn't come free at first, but when it did a string of blood followed from its fangs. Twin holes poked through the colt's flesh, oozing blood and urine colored venom.

The snake turned its attention to Bryce, but the human held a firm grip. The serpent spat at Bryce, cursing the human in its own language.

Bryce understood it all, but the rage built within him made him unforgiving. He stared into the snake's golden eyes, bringing it to silence. Seconds later the serpent's head blew outwards, sending chunks of flesh down Bryce's front.

With the snake dead, he dropped what was left and turned to Bait.

The tan colt held his bitten leg out in front of him. He shook violently.

Bryce inspected the wound. "Girls, we have to go." He said as he picked the colt up, positioning Bait so the bite was below the colt's heart.

As Bait was held in the human's arms, he saw the snake. Despite lacking a head its body continued to slither about aimlessly. "Hey, snakey, you might have a problem looking for your head since you ain't got one." He joked. Though a second later he didn't feel in a joking mood. He felt nauseous, his spit tasted metallic, and he couldn't stop shaking.

Before Bait realized what was happening he was back at the farm. He heard voices, but couldn't place who they belonged to.

"There y'all are. Did ya find the girls?"

"Yeah, they're here with me. But we need to get to the hospital."

"Hold on, are the girls okay?"

"We're fine, Applejack," Apple Bloom stated.

"Dinky...? DINKY, THANK CELESTIA!!!" Ditzy shouted, happy to see her filly.

"They're fine," Bryce said, getting the apple mare's attention. "now we need to get the the hospital."

"Well what for?"

"He's been bit."

"Who has?"

"Bait, he's been bit by a rattlesnake."

"A rattler? How'd that happen?"

"There's no time to explain. He's fading."

"Well it's nona my concern. A thief like him got what he deserved."

"Maybe he has, but if it hadn't been for him the girls would have been in the position he's in now."

There was a few seconds of silence.

"Beg pardon?"

"I would never have been able to save the girls without his help. It's because of him they're alive. If that means nothing to you then get out of the way."

Bait felt movement once again.

The movement stopped when he heard Applejack say, "Wait, Bryce, in his condition you'll never get there in time. Give'm ta me; I'm faster."

"Are you sure, Applejack? Because I have doubts your intentions are pure."

"Bryce, do you want him dead or alive?"

There was a moment of silence before Bryce said, "Can I trust you?"

"Yeah, of course ya can."

Bait watched as the ground came closer. "Can I trust you!?"

"Bryce..."

"Look me in the eye!"

There was a long silence.

"Bryce, I'll get him to the hospital as fast as I can. I promise."

A few seconds later, Bait felt himself dropped onto the apple mare's orange back.

"You haven't lied to me yet. I trust you, but I'm holding you to this."

The ground Bait could see rushed past his vision. After a while he heard voices again, but by now they sounded distant. The tan colt was out before his back hit the gurney.

Author's Note:
PreviousChapters Next