• Published 22nd Dec 2013
  • 6,729 Views, 482 Comments

Extremely Loud, Intensely Bright, Drastically Tense, Exceedingly Tight - h4ns



When Bryce Smales goes to the park with his dog the last he expects is to be sent to Equestria. To some it would be a godsend. But for Bryce it is a chromatic and shrill hell. But with the help of the locals he may just discover a better life.

  • ...
50
 482
 6,729

PreviousChapters Next
Pushing Me Away - Linkin Park

Chapter 79: Pushing Me Away - Linkin Park

Almost an hour later Bryce came to the outskirts of Ponyville.

For a holiday, he knew many of the resident ponies would stay indoors—granted they still had an indoors—and off the streets. And for the first time today, he was not disappointed.

There were ponies about—Thanksgiving could not keep everypony confined to their homes—but he felt better knowing there were fewer than expected.

He did not stop to talk with anypony, more because there was nil who wanted to talk with him. Anypony who crossed his path often stepped to the side and let him pass. A few times, on accident, he bumped into somepony. Out of fear—whether it be from his size or what they believed he would do—they apologized. He tried to take the blame for his mistake, but before he could open his mouth they made their escape.

The whole experience left Bryce feeling worse off than he did already. The idea to cut his losses and head back to the apple farm crossed he mind once or twice, but he could not bear to let down his friends. More so the foals. Someone had to watch out for Rocksalt on his paper route and help him with his homework. And the twins, well, who better to keep them from their mother’s latest attempt at making something new.

For now, he put up with the disdainful looks and the sudden sidesteps. There were ponies who counted on him.

Then it happened. Somepony found the need to call him out. “Bryce, darling!”

He tensed, then let out a low groan, sank down, and rolled his eyes back into his head. He recognized the voice.

Trotting up to him was Ponyville’s resident fashionista. She made her way to the human with confidence, in strict contrast to everypony around her. “Bryce, hellllooooo!”

What he wanted more than anything to be a solitary dragging of his feet through town became a high-pitched announcement of his location.

Rarity came to a stop no more than a foot from the human. She looked up at him in confusion. “Bryce, are you okay?”

He met the white unicorn with a look which was one-part disgust, one-part disbelief, and the remaining majority the anger he fought to contain. It was as if answered her question with a throaty, demonic, “What do you want!?”

The mare took a step back. “Oh… It’s seems I caught you at a bad time…” She forced a smile. “I’ll just let you go…”

Before she could trot off, Bryce called back, “Rarity…it’s fine… It’s fine… It’s… I’m…” As he said this, he closed his eyes to reel himself back in. Cycling a deep breath, he said in a calmer tone, “I’m fine…”

Rarity blinked a few times at the statement. “Bad day?”

If only you knew, he thought as he let out a heavy sigh.

“Oh… Nopony’s hurt, are they?” It was then she noticed the bandages around his left forearm. “My word, what happened!?” She asked, drawing the attention of the few ponies about. When she noticed their glares, she thought of something on the fly. ”Where did you get that rip in your trousers!?”

“Rip, what-?”

Using her magic, she tore a hole in the left-side pocket of his cargo pants. When she finished the contents of said pocket dropped out on the ground.

Bryce looked down in shock, speechless.

“You should be glad I ran into you. I’m surprised they held as long as they did.”

“They were fine before-“

“Yes, but right now we need to get that fixed. Quick, grab your belongings. It shouldn’t take but a minute.”

His jaw dropped as he looked to her in confusion. His mind could not wrap around the polite mare’s sudden behavior. What the H are you doing!? He thought inside her mind.

Rarity flinched, but only for an instant; enough only she and Bryce took notice. Bryce, darling, she thought back in a flash, play along!

Why?

Just do it!

Bryce became skeptical. Then a thought entered his mind, one which was neither his nor Rarity’s. What’s he doing now?

It was the one, then others followed. He better not try anything with Rarity. Pretty mare like her, I’d kick his flank!

What is a mare like her doing with…that thing? Better not be planning another way to buck up the place.

The nerve of her! If she’s in cahoots with the likes of him I’ll take my business elsewhere.

Dang, and I liked that hot piece of tail. Well, I have that spray paint I’ve been saving. Her place could use a fresh coat. I think I’ll put ‘Ape Lover’. That’ll teach her. And if she catches me I’ll threaten to ‘come back later’, unless she’s willing to put out. She’ll say yes if she knows what’s good for her. It’d save me the trouble of tying her up, and the bits I’d spend on chloroform. It’ll get me a lot of cred with the guys, too.

Bryce balled up his fists, wanting to say his piece to the last one. He looked back and spotted him: a male, larger than a colt but not yet a stallion. He held a hoof under his chin, a snide smile across his face as he considered what his friends would say in his fantasy. Whatever foolproof plans the teenage colt thought he had vanished when he met the human’s dark eyes.

The house with the brass bell beside the door at the end of the block? He thought with a snide smirk. You better not struggle when I come tonight. It’d save me the trouble of tying you up. And I won’t need chloroform.

He managed to say a few choice words in the teenage colt’s mind before Rarity said, “Bryce, let’s go,” in a whisper.

By the time he turned back his eyes reverted to their neutral grey. He considered the mare, and the others behind him. He needed to lose Rarity, and fast. He would have told her off without delay, but he needed his pocket mended. Instead, he bent down, took up the contents of his ripped side pocket and left with the white mare.

Once they were out of sight of anypony, he felt comfortable enough to ask, “Rarity, can you fix this rip with your magic?”

“Yes, but it would be better if-“

“I don’t have the time,” he said, pointing down an alley. “Let’s do it here then.”

She looked down the way. “Are you sure? You know where it leads, don’t you?”

He looked though the alley. Though the sun began to dip down there was enough light see the ruined buildings beyond.

It was the part of Ponyville which fell victim to Bryce’s mania.

He sucked in his lower lip and wiggled his toes.

“Why do you want to go there?” Rarity asked.

“The view.”

“It’s not a view many would find nice. I don’t know anypony who would want to go in there.”

“That’s the point,” Bryce said as he walked down the alley.

“Well, I suppose it is a good of one as any,” she commented as she followed the human.

Once they were deep enough to avoid attention, Bryce turned back to Rarity. “Should I take’em off or can you do it if I leave’em on?”

“Ehh… I can manage if they’re left on. I think you would much prefer it.”

Bryce nodded in agreement as he leaned back against a wall, one which looked more solid than the rest. “Well, how long will it take?” He asked as he crossed his arms across his chest.

She examined the tear. It hurt her a little to see her own work torn asunder. And by her own magic, no less. “Not long, if you stay still. It’s a technique one needs to take the time to learn, but in my line of work it is a necessity.” Narrowing her eyes, Rarity bent forward and lit up her horn. The left corner of the rip began to seal, inching towards the right at a snail’s pace.

After a minute, Rarity said, “I must apologize for putting you in this situation.”

Bryce waited a beat before he said, “It’s fine.”

“I wouldn’t have done it, but from the way everypony looked at you after I… I didn’t mean to draw unnecessary attention, but when I saw the bandages…”

Bryce hid his left arm out of view. “It’s fine.”

She doused her magic to relieve some of the strain in her horn. “It’s not that I doubt you, but that is a lot of dressing for a simple injury.”

The bandages around his arm was enough to cover the hindleg of a foal Dinky or Apple Bloom’s size. In response, Bryce asked, “Remember Angel?”

“Fluttershy’s rabbit, you mean? Yes, but what does that have to do with… Oh…” She said when she understood the human’s meaning. Thinking back, she remembered how pale Bryce became, as well. This time, however, his complexion was ghastly—almost a shade lighter than before.

“It’s fine,” Bryce said after the mare’s pause.

“Well, with such an ability… I suppose, but how do you feel physically?”

“I’m fine,” was the answer. When no response came from the mare, he added, “Could you finish, please? I have somewhere I needed to be an hour ago.”

As the ache in her horn subsided, Rarity decided to do as asked, ignoring the chills the human failed to hide. As she continued to mend the tear, she found the human rubbing something with his thumb. It was one of his wooden ponies, that much she could tell, but at her bent angle she could not tell of whom.

“What’s that you have there?”

Bryce stopped rubbing the wood, by now smooth from the continuous stimming. “Just one of my works.”

“Oh, which one?”

He pulled the figure to his chest. He tensed up and rubbed it some more. “No one important.”

The human was hard to read at times, but this was not one of those times. Rarity could think of one pony who could make the human go ramrod straight. “Have you had the chance to see Fluttershy recently?”

Bryce shook his head, an action which almost went unnoticed from her downturned eyes.

“When was the last time you saw each other?”

He sucked in his lower lip. “I don’t want to get into this conversation again today.”

“Why, did somepony said something rotten about you two?”

“No.”

“Then what did they say?”

“Nothing I want to get into again today.”

They said nothing for the remainder of Rarity’s mending. When she finished, she looked the pocket over. Satisfied with her work, she smiled. “Finished, with not a stitch out of place.”

Bryce looked down, tugging at the former tear to make sure. “Thank you.” He returned the contents to their proper place and turned to leave.

“She misses you.” Bryce stopped, not bothering to turn back. “Fluttershy, I mean. At least, that was the impression I got on our last spa day.”

He sucked in his lip. Well, when was that? Before four weeks ago? He thought for Rarity to hear.

“No, it was more like two weeks ago. In fact, I was the one who had to explain everything to her. She’s practically the only pony in the Ponyville area who didn’t make an appearance for Nightmare Night. It wasn’t easy—for me or for her—but we all agreed I was the best one to deliver the news.”

After a moment, Bryce’s thoughts echoed in Rarity’s mind. Why you? From what I’ve heard Rainbow and Ditzy have known her longer.

“Well, Rainbow took the situation in a way only somepony the likes of her could take. Namely, and I quote: ‘It was so awesome’. And Ditzy, while she may mean well, said it should be somepony who could speak without stepping over their own words. So, it fell to me, the only pony close enough to her who could keep their composure.

“She insisted we skip the spa that day to see you. We went to the farm instead, but Applejack told us you weren’t in the right mood to see anypony.”

Bryce chewed on his lower lip a few times before he said, “Well, the next time you see her tell her the same thing.” He walked forward, not looking back.

Rarity watched him walk a few steps, mouth agape, before she narrowed her eyes and ran ahead of him. It made Bryce jump up on his toes to stop himself. “I can’t say that to her. She’ll think you don’t care, and we both know you do.”

“Well, then tell her what she wants to hear.”

“She wants to hear you’re all better and you’re dying to see her.”

“Well, I’m not. And it’s better if she doesn’t see me at all.”

“Better for whom? Not for Fluttershy, certainly not for her. Look, I can understand if you’re afraid, but if you think she’ll reject you I’m sure she won’t.”

“Well, how sure are you?”

“Without a doubt. It may be awkward at the start, but if you would give it a chance I’m sure it would be like old times before you know it.”

“Well, if I do I’ll only end up hurting her.”

“No, it would hurt her if you resolve to do nothing and reject her all together. It would kill her to know you’re up and about and too selfish to go and see her.”

“It hurts me more than it can ever hurt her. It’s just better if we’re never seen together.”

“Hurts you more…?” She paused for a breath, considering what the human said. “What do you mean by that?”

“I mean, it hurts me knowing I hurt her, but there’s no better way.”

“No, after that. How is it better for you both to not be seen together?”

Rarity half expected to say nothing, but was surprised when he said, “It just is.”

“But for whom? I mean, if you both end up hurt how is it good for you or her?”

“It doesn’t matter about me. It’s her I’m worried about. Just know I can take the hit if it means she’s safe.”

“Safe from what? You aren’t making any sense.”

“Do I really have to spell it out? You think I’m dense, but you seem to forget why you split open my pocket.”

“I haven’t. It was to get you away from everypony. The way I caused a scene, they were looking to run you through. I only wanted to make a sensible reason I would cause a ruckus. And I already apologized.”

“Well, you don’t know what they thought about you.”

“And how could you possibly…? Bryce, you invaded their minds!?”

Bryce did not try to hide the fact; there was no way of taking back what he had said. “I did, but it wasn’t intentional. I didn’t realize what I was doing until I heard too much.”

Rarity stared in shock. She wanted to berate him, but the need to know what they thought of him overruled the need to correct the human. “What did they think? Because whatever they think of you it’s not true. And if they thought of doing you any harm it’s something we all consider, but almost never have the constitution to carry out. And with you they’ll definitely reconsider their options.”

Bryce bit down on his lip, unsure of how the mare would take his next statement. “It’s not what they thought of me which worries me.”

“Then who was it then?” He wiggled his toes as he looked down to the mare. “You mean…? Are you sure?”

“No, it was the mare only I can see.” If he were in a more amicable state, he would have ended the remark with a familiar smirk.

The shock on Rarity’s face was sparked anew. “But I… I didn’t do anything. Nothing to warrant whatever… What did they think of me?”

“Well, it was more what they wanted to do to you. One mare—her inner voice sounded like a mare’s—she didn’t to have anything to do with you. Said she would ‘take her business elsewhere’.”

“Is that it? I mean, it just one mare. I can take the loss of one customer.”

“That’s not all. There was another—the teenager.”

“Yes, but what of him? The worst he would have done is break a few windows.”

“He planned to do worse than that.”

“You mean rob me?”

“Worse.”

“Burn down my boutique.”

“No, something way worse than what he could do to your home.”

“Stop beating around the bush and say it then; I’m tired of guessing.”

“Well, you’re a beautiful mare, he’s a pubescent colt,” he said, “can I make it anymore obvious?”

“Yes, I am a mare, and yes, he was a colt, but what…?” When the realization hit her, her face contorted into a mixture of anger and disgust.

“Finally, and I’m the dense one.”

“I can’t even… Are you sure?”

“Well, it’s hard to lie inside your own mind. More so when you think nobody can hear you.” He rubbed the back of his neck. “And…puberty… When that happens a boy’s brain is more in his-”

Rarity waved him off, the look on her face now enough to cause wrinkles. “Just stop it! I didn’t need to know beyond the word ‘puberty’.”

“Well, if you’re reacting this way because of what he wanted to do to you, think how much worse it would be for someone like Fluttershy.”

Rarity needed less than a full breath to become immersed in a deeper depth of revulsion. “It would utterly destroy her! But…you shouldn’t allow it to dissuade you. I mean, she can’t hear what you can hear. If anything, she will feel safer with you.”

Bryce bit his lip. “How is being with me safe? I already told you what they thought of you—and what they planned to do. Even if no one attacks her out right, what about her house? Or her animals? If not them, then in other ways. She likes to go to the Farmer’s Market every Wednesday. If I’m seen with her they could refuse to do business, or charge her more, depending on their mood. Where would she and her animals be then?”

For once Rarity was unable to make a retort. She wanted to believe nopony would be so callous as to punish the delicate mare for choosing the human as a companion, but after what she heard doubt weighed on her opinion.

When she said nothing after a minute, Bryce sighed. “If you don’t mind, I have somewhere to be.” He sidestepped the mare, who said nothing until he was almost out of sight. “No, you wait a minute!” She cried.

She stomped her way ahead of the human. “Why is it whenever I present a reason you and her should meet you somehow find another excuse to avoid her?!”

“Does it matter? Doesn’t mean I’m not right.”

“Yes, it does matter, and just because you raise a few good points does NOT make you right! It means you would rather make excuses than do what you know is right. Let me ask you this—and the you either answer ‘yes’, or you answer ‘no’.

“Do you want to see the mare you tried to convince me was too good for the likes of you? I’ll answer for you: yes!

“Does the thought of not seeing her at all make you sick to your stomach? I’ll answer again: yes!

“Is there a possibility other ponies will take offense to your being there with her, much less your relationship? I’d bet every bit to my name, and my home, and my kitty, Opal, they would.”

She drew in a breath before she spoke again. “Now, my last question to you—and this time I want you to answer for yourself—is this: is it right for you to make her suffer only because of what might happen? To make her worry over you when all you need to make it stop is take a short walk down the road? To be the one hurting her more than anypony else ever could?”

“Enough!” Bryce spat out, cutting short whatever Rarity wanted to shout next. “It doesn’t matter what I say. If I’m not with her, and nobody sees me with her, she’s safe. And that’s all I care about. If you want to tell her something, tell her to look for someone better. In time, she’ll forget all about me. You can doubt me if you want, but it’s happened before.”

He sidestepped the mare once more. As he passed, he said, “And I don’t see it changing because of a change in venue. Not anymore.”

Rarity sat down in the dirt, exhausted from her futile attempts with the human. Despite this, she found the strength to stand up, turnabout and face him. “Bryce-“

“Save it,” he said, not meeting her gaze he turned down a corner. As he did, somepony rushed at him, tackling him to the ground. They said something he could not make out in the moment, but from the volume of their voice it did not sound to be in his favor.

Rarity cried out, “Celestia, what on Equus!!!”

His first thought was somepony decided to take matters into their own hands—or, rather, their own hooves. He grabbed said limbs from around his sides and rolled over on top of them. As far as he could tell, the only assailant was the one below him, but he looked about to make sure, spotting only the white coat of Rarity.

When he saw the coast of clear, he brought a fist back and spoke down to the pony below him, “Didn’t expect me to fight back, did you?!” As he brought his fist down, his arm became enveloped in a blue aura and pulled to the right. He glared to Rarity. “Let me go right now!” He said through gritted teeth.

“Bryce, I don’t think you know who you’re dealing with,” she said with fear in her voice.

“I do” It’s someone with more balls than-!” If his hand were not puleed back, he would have reeled back for a second punch, one which would have landed square in the face of Pinkie Pie.

The pink pony pinned under him bore the same face Bryce now held: one of complete and utter shock.

“P- Pinkamena?” He stammered out. As they continued to look at each other in surprise, he asked a question which was certain to have a baffling, convoluted, Pinkie Piesque answer. “What the H were you thinking?”

“Tw- Twitchy…tail…” Was her only response.

Before Bryce or Rarity could comprehend her statement, the wall along the side of the alley—the alley Bryce would have taken a few seconds before—collapsed, covering every bit of ground below it in stucco, timber, and broken glass.

From somewhere on the other side of the crumbled wall, the two ponies and Bryce heard somepony shout, “What the hay was that!?”

Another said, “Let’s check it out!”

They heard the faint clop of hooves grow louder with each passing second.

Wasting no time, Rarity released he magic on the human. “Bryce, get up!” She said through her teeth.

He looked to her in shock, unsure of what he had done. “Rarity, Pinkamena, I didn’t mean-“ He said as he stood up from the party mare.

“I know,” Rarity cut him off. “But right now, you need to hide.” Before he could question why, she turned her attention on Pinkie. “Pinkie, without going into details, I need you to stand up, so I can get where you are.” Pinkie did as asked, with Rarity taking the same position on her back. “Now, straddle me.”

Bryce looked at the mare in confusion. Pinkie, despite her nature, was bewildered by Rarity request, as well.

“Why?” She asked.

“Because if anypony sees Bryce around—no offense—they might think the worst. Which is why if they see only you and me-“

“Oh, I see. But I don’t think it’ll work. Here, stand up and I’ll show you how to make the scene.”

“Why, what’s wrongs with-?“ They heard a small group of ponies shouting from the other side of the blocked alley. The debris was enough to block their view.

“What the hay happened here!?”

“Must have been Bryce. Let’s look around.”

“Yeah, has to be. And somepony find a way around. I could have sworn I heard somepony shout before.”

With time running out, Rarity did as the pink mare asked and stood. “Okay, now what?” She asked in a whisper.

Pinkie ran a hoof under her chin. “Go a little to the left.”

“I fail to see-“

“Shh shh shh! A little to the left.”

Rarity rolled her eyes, but otherwise did as told. “Okay, now would please explain-?”

“Don’t scream now.” Saying nothing else, Pinkie hopped forward, forcing Rarity onto her back, in almost the same spot she had pushed Bryce before her.

It took a lot of effort, but Rarity managed to stifle a cry of panic. And not a moment too soon.

Within seconds a trio of stallions came running into the clearing. They surveyed the scene, their eyes drawn to the two mares in an instant.

“What happened?!” One of them asked. “Did Bryce do this?! Did you see which way he went?!”

Rarity and Pinkie looked to each other, then back to the three stallions. “What makes you think he was involved?” Rarity asked. “We both saw the wall fall of its own accord.”

“Are you sure?” A second stallion asked. “Why is she on top of you?”

“She pushed me out of the way. She came out of nowhere and forced me back. And not a moment too soon. A half second more and…” She pointed a hoof down the alley.

“Alright, then why were you here?” The last stallion asked, pointing a hoof at Pinkie Pie. “Seems an out of the way area for somepony.”

Pinkie pulled her mouth back into a tiny smile. “Twitchy tail,” she said, pointing at the base of her loopy tail.

As if three bricks materialized out of this air and dropped on all three of their heads, the stallions let out a drawn out, collective, “Ohh...”

One of them looked up in the air. “So… It’s not twitching right now, is- Is it?”

Pinkie scanned her appendage for a few seconds, then shook her head. “Nope. Everything’s Okey-Dokey-Lokey now!”

They sighed in relief.

“That’s good… So, are either of you hurt?”

“No worse for wear, myself,” Rarity replied. “Though I would very much like to stand now,” she said with a look to Pinkie.

Pinkie blinked a few times. “Oh! Sorry!” She stepped back, allowing the fashionista to stand on all fours. “There, much better.”

“Good…” The first stallion looked to the collapsed wall. “Dang, that’s awful. Wasn’t that… Wasn’t that Hedge’s place?”

“Yeah, I think it was,” one of his companions agreed.”

The first let out a huff. “That bastard. Can’t believe the mayor let him off with just a slap on the pastern.”

“Are we gonna break the news to him?”

“Might as well. Not as if he’ll be any worse off than he is now.” He turned back to the two mares. “You’re sure Bryce didn’t do this? Seems like the kinda crap he’d pull.”

Rarity narrowed her eyes. “I can assure you he had nothing to do with this. You make him sound like a monster.”

“Well, he did buck up the place. What else could he be?”

“Yeah, what are you, his friend?”

“Yes, actually,” Rarity said without a flinch. “We both are.” She motioned to the pink mare beside her.

“What, both of you?! Don’t tell me you don’t get a twitchy tail, or knee pinch, or…whatever when he’s around?” He asked the latter.

“Nope. I only have a pinch in my knee when there’s something scary, and it never happens when he’s around.”

“And what happened four weeks ago wasn’t scary?”

“Well… Yes, my knee itched then, but that was the only time. The rest of the time I feel happy knowing I have a good friend like Brycie. You know, he’s not as bad as he looks. He’s big, but he’s an even bigger softy one time Applejack tried to force him to go to his ‘Welcome to Ponyville party’ and so I was all mopey and my mane went straight but then we worked it out and he got his party and it was a lot of fun and I got to see him smile and not a smirk because smirks aren’t as happy as smiles then this other time-“

By then the three stallions tuned the mare out. “Always knew that one wasn’t right in the head, but this…”

His companions groaned in agreement.

“Well, since you managed to find your way in here you can find your way out. Unless you’re willing to admit Bryce had something to do with this.”

Rarity shot the stallion a glare. “A promise you he did NOT.”

“Figures… Welp, if you change your mind… Town would be a lot better place without him.” The three stallions walked away without another care.

Now alone, Rarity sighed in relief. “That was a close one. Good job, Pinkie Pie. Though, next time, I would appreciate the pleasure of a warning.”

Pinkie returned a sly smile. “Sorry, but it needed to look convincing. And you didn’t look surprised, like you just almost met your maker. It was more like, ‘I’m serious and we need to make them think Bryce was never here’,” she said as she furrowed her brow for emphasis.

Rarity pinched the bridge of her nose. “Yes, I suppose… But still, a little warning would have been nice. Speaking of Bryce…” She looked about but could see neither hide nor hair of the human. She called out a few times under her breath, but he did not answer back. She glared at nothing as she said, “The nerve… I told him to hide, not vanish.” She turned to the party mare. “You didn’t happen to see where he went, did you?”

“No, but he couldn’t have gone far. Though he can walk fast. I mean, when he wants to get away he can-“ Pinkie stopped as she cried out in pain.

“Pinkie Pie, what’s the matter!?”

She placed a hoof over her mouth. “Uhh, I bit my dung.”

Rarity raised her eyebrow. “You bit your what!?”

“Mah dung, see!” She said before she stuck out her tongue.

“Ohh… Well, that’s better than… Never mind, we need to find Bryce.”

“Vait, Varity, I remembered dumting. Ah bit my dung!”

“Yes, I understand. And would you please not say that word, it is so uncouth!“

“No, Varity! Varity! A bit dung means dere’s an ag-zoo-! Ag-zoo-!” She huffed in frustration. She resolved to write her words in the dirt.

Bite your tongue, somepony’s about to be hung!

Rarity mouthed the words as she read along. “Is this another part of your Pinkie Sense.” Pinkie returned a nod. “Somepony’s about to be…? Oh no! Pinkie, it isn’t Bryce is it?!”

Pinkie shrugged her shoulders. “Uh dun know,” she said, a few drops of spittle spraying from her mouth.

“Pinkie, I believe the expression is ‘say it, don’t spray it’. But if it is Bryce we need to find him, and soon!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Dang, that’s awful. Wasn’t that… Wasn’t that Hedge’s place?”

Bryce did not stick around to hear anything after this. He did not want to hear whatever else the three stallions wanted to pin on him. Besides, the Nuts’ expected him. He hoped he could make it through without further incident.

If it were only so simple.

When he exited the ruined section of Ponyville he was happy to find himself within sight of the Nuts’ house, in sight of their roof at the least. He took in a few breaths to calm himself, and prepared to depart, but then caught something out of the corner of his eye.

He wanted to believe he misread the situation—if only to reach his destination and with hopes end the day on a good note—but something felt off.

Bryce came to a stop, watching as a colt—who had a silver coat the color of mercury and a mane and tail like shadows—trotted away on his left. He looked the right size for a colt, though he was lean and half a head taller than the ones Bryce had become accustomed with.

The thought to forget what he saw and move on crossed his mind several times, but his conscience nagged him to do the opposite. He sucked in his lower lip, his toes wiggling inside his boots hard enough to burrow into the salamander hide.

Before he could decide, somepony behind him cried out, “Varity, Uh vound’m! Uh vound’m!”

He snuck a quick look back, dissatisfied to see it was Pinkie. He looked back to the colt, who trotted further away with each passing second.

A few seconds later Rarity found her way out. “Bryce, there you are!” She exited the alley and came to a stop at his side. “Are you okay? You aren’t upset, are you?” When he said nothing, she became concerned. “Bryce, what’s the matter?”

“Rarity, what would you do if you saw a crime?” Bryce asked.

“A crime? Why, what did you see?”

“I don’t know, but I have my suspicions.”

“Suspicions on what though? You aren’t making any sense. Look, you seem to have had a rough day, and you look pale. Why don’t I take you to my boutique, I brew some coffee, and we talk this out?”

Bryce looked to his right one last time and made his choice there. “There’s no time, he’s getting away,” he spat back at Rarity. He prayed the twins and their mother could find it their hearts to forgive him.

He turned to his left and powerwalked to reach the colt, catching up with him in no time. “Hey, kid!” He called out, drawing the attention of more than the intended pony.

The colt skid to a halt. A shiver ran through his spine. He inched his head back to meet the human. “Can I- Can I help you, sir?”

Bryce ignored the question, instead saying, “I saw you dragging your bag. Do you need any help?”

The colt needed a moment before he replied, “No, that’s alrate. I can manage.”

By then Rarity and Pinkie caught up with Bryce. “Bryce, if you won’t come with me you at least should explain-“ She cut herself short when she noticed the quicksilver colt. “Oh, hello there.”

“Hi…” The colt said. “Uhm, can I help you?”

“Well, I suppose an explanation is in order. Bryce, would you kindly explain why-?”

“You sure?” Bryce said, ignoring the exchange between the two. “They look heavy. Well, a mare’s bag is usually heavy.”

“A girl’s bag? Yeah, I guess they can be,” the colt replied.

“Yeah, they can. So, you sure you don’t need help? You don’t want anything to fall out, do you?”

“No, but honest, I’m fine,” the colt said as he took a step back. “I’m just taking this home for my Mum. She wanted to stay and chitchat with one of her friends for a while, and I wanted to get home. So, we made a compromise: I can go, but only if I take the groceries home mesen.”

“Groceries, huh? What kind, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“Oh, you know, the usual. A loaf of bread, a carton of eggs, some butter. The usual.”

Rarity surveyed the scene, spotting the saddlebag. What caught her notice was the way the colt strained to hold himself together, as well as the bags were made for a pony twice his size.

“Bread, eggs and butter.” Bryce repeated. “Well, there’s a reason you need someone to help you. If you aren’t careful you’ll mash the bread and crack the eggs. You might want to check and see if they’re okay.”

The colt tensed up as a blush spread across his face. “I would, but…”

“What’s the matter? I just want to check if the groceries are okay. What’s the harm in that?”

“Well, uh hum, you see… We bought a few special groceries today. The kind for…mares…”

Bryce had to stop and think on the colt’s words, his eyes shooting open once he took the hint. “Health and wellness products? Well, if that’s the case I promise not to look.”

The colt shook his head. “No, no. I don’t want to trouble you. My Mum would get mardy if I brought somepony she doesn’t know around the house.”

"Mardy? What’s that?” Rarity asked.

“You know… P’d off.”

“Well, I could go and introduce myself,” Bryce offered. “That was her back there, wasn’t it?” He said, pointing a thumb behind him. “The mustard yellow one with mint-green hair?”

Rarity looked back, but found nopony matching said description. “Bryce, I don’t-“ She began before the colt interrupted.

“Alrate, now I know you’re piggling me. My Mum’s red with a lavender mane.”

Rarity took another look back, finding the described mare in an instant. By now Rarity began to catch on to Bryce’s random questions, as well as his interest in the saddlebag. He thinks this colt stole that saddlebag!

Pinkie, in the meantime, sat back and swiveled her head back and forth, her injured tongue left to hang in the air.

Bryce looked back to make sure, but he already knew the colt spoke the truth. He began to think he misread the colt; it had been out of the corner of his eye. Then something dawned on him. Those are some weird words. ‘Mardy’, ‘mesen’, ‘piggling’. Oh, I forgot one: ‘Mum’. You’re not from around here, are you?”

“Yes. I mean, no. Well, we moved from Trottingham.”

“Well, that explains the speech, but not your voice.”

“Wha- What do you mean?”

“Your voice doesn’t sound like you came from this Trottingham, and I’ve met a couple guys who are from there.”

“Yes, about that… I grew up here.”

“But you said you moved from Trottingham. When was that, again?”

“Two months ago. And I grew up here, then we moved to Trottingham, but now we’re back.”

Rarity deduce two things from the colt’s last statement. The first was the absurdity of the colt’s story. While possible, it seemed too farfetched for her liking. It was almost a coincidence, and the timeframe raised another alarm: the colt was a little taken back by the human’s presence, but there neither fear nor hatred in his composure. If Rarity did not know any better this was the colt’s first experience with any human anywhere. And what Bryce said next confirmed he noticed this, as well.

“Well, not to sound like I’m repeating myself,” Bryce stated, “but how about you introduce me. Here, I’ll introduce myself to you first.” He thrust out a hand. “Bryce, nice to meet you.”

The colt looked at the human as if the name held no weight. Though skeptical, he took the offered hand. “Sure, nice to meet you, too.” He went to pull his hoof away, but Bryce tightened his grip.

“Say, you weren’t around for Nightmare Night, were you? I was, but my memory’s fuzzy.”

“Yeah, I came. Wouldn’t miss it for anything,” the colt said as he pulled to release himself. “Nothing like the stuff back in Trottingham.”

“I bet,” Bryce said before he put more strength into the colt’s hoof and pulled him forward. “But then again, anyone who would say that wasn’t really there. Now, what’s in the bag?” Bryce asked as he pulled the colt up to meet his gaze.

“I… I…”

Rarity stepped forward, coming into Bryce’s line of sight. “Bryce, there are better ways to deal with this,” she said to try and gain control of the situation. “Please, let him go and we can discuss this like adults.”

“We both know you have no idea,” Bryce whispered, Rarity’s words lost on him. “So, you can either go and give it back yourself or I can take it from you.”

“You would be wise to take her advice!” A stallion shouted. It was the one who lead the trio not five minutes before.

When Bryce looked away he did not expect to find himself, the colt and the two mares surrounded by no less than thirty ponies.

Bryce took a moment to survey the crowd and take in how they might see the scene. “Okay, I know what you’re thinking, but I assure you I have the situation under control.”

A few seconds elapsed before the same stallion said, “Let the boy go or I’ll make you.” He took a step forward.

Bryce looked to the colt, then back to Rarity. “Bryce, do as he says. If we remain calm I’m sure we can make them see reason.”

Though reluctant, he did as Rarity requested, but not before he said a few parting words. “You try and run you’re wrong to think I can’t catch you.” He squeezed down once more on the colt’s hoof, then relented. The colt let out a hiss as the blood flowed back into the tip of his limb. Bryce raised his hands. “Okay, now I know what this looks like, but I can explain.”

“Shove it up your rear!” A pony in the crowd shouted.

Bryce disregarded the comment. “This boy stole something-“

“I’m sure you did!”

“-and has tried to make off with it.”

“More like you’re trying to rob him!”

“I can assure you all that is not the case,” Rarity chimed in. “Bryce is above stealing from anypony, much less a foal.”

“I bet! You’re probably in on it, too!” The stallion from before stared at her with a look of scorn. “No wonder you defended him! You’re in bed with the enemy!”

“The only thing I’m in on is exposing an injustice. This boy is the guilty party.” She thrust a hoof in the quicksilver colt’s direction.

“The only injustice anypony here can see is a bunch of ape sympathizers picking on a defenseless colt!”

“You can believe what you will, but I promise you it is the opposite. I have reason to believe this colt is in possession of a saddlebag not his own.”

“Probably wishing it were the bags under your eyes!”

“This has nothing to do with…” She had to fight the urge to check the accusation for herself, though this did not stop her from making a mental note to make an appointment with Aloe and Lotus later. A lady could never be too careful. “Would anypony who is not willing to treat this situation with the seriousness it deserves please leave?”

This served to only make the crowd fire back with more insults.

With the attention off him for the moment, the quicksilver colt made to slink away. He made it a fair amount of distance before Bryce shouted, “No, you don’t!” The colt took off in a gallop but fell forward. He felt something tug at his tail. When he looked back he found himself once more in the human’s grip. He began to kick in a futile attempt at freedom. “Let me go, you git!”

“No, you had your chance. Now you‘re going to face what you’ve done.”

This sudden turn of events served to infuriate the crowd. Many of the braver souls galloped forward, but skid to a halt at the intrusion of a new voice, one which Bryce knew well. “Nopony better lay a fecking hoof on him!”

From out of nowhere, a mare stepped into their line-of-sight. “Yes, you will,” she spat in answer to Bryce’s statement. She bent down to glare daggers at the object of her rage. “Bor, what in Celestia’s name have you done this time?!”

She was somepony Bryce had seen at her worst. To look into the eyes of this mare was to look into Hell itself. If Bryce had heeded Rarity’s advice and taken the day off the events to come may have been prevented. But from here on Bryce’s day kept its course, light only able to show itself in the darkest hour. One of these two will escape this mare’s ire, but in the end, both will suffer the consequences of their actions.

Who was this mare? Read the next chapter if you would know.

PreviousChapters Next