• Published 22nd Dec 2013
  • 6,729 Views, 482 Comments

Extremely Loud, Intensely Bright, Drastically Tense, Exceedingly Tight - h4ns



When Bryce Smales goes to the park with his dog the last he expects is to be sent to Equestria. To some it would be a godsend. But for Bryce it is a chromatic and shrill hell. But with the help of the locals he may just discover a better life.

  • ...
50
 482
 6,729

PreviousChapters Next
When You've Got It, Flaunt It

Chapter 57: When You've Got It, Flaunt It

At Bryce's knock, he heard Rarity call from within in a pleasent tone, "Come in, darling."

When he entered, he began to say, "Rarity, there's something you should-" But was cut off from what he witnessed.

The room was dark, due to the curtains being drawn. The only illumination came from a set of candles that were arranged about the room. But it was what the candlelight revealed from the darkness that made the human pause.

The white mare, who had usually pranced around buck naked, was now clothed. Her outfit consisted of a pink lace babydoll that ran down her figure. She had redone her mane into a bun, with a pair of silver chopsticks with sapphire tops holding it in place. Around her neck and the base of her horn she had a boysenberry choker studded with gems the same color as her Cutie Mark. Snaking around her horn was a thin string of blue gemstones, which terminated with a larger sapphire hanging off the tip.

When Bryce walked in, the mare was lying on her belly and her head was resting on her hooves.

"Is something the matter, darling? Or do you see something you like?"

"Is this what you wanted me to see?"

"Yes, actually." She propped her head onto her hooves. The jewel on her horn flapped with her movements. "You see, there's a special somepony I've been trying to impress, but no matter how hard I try he never notices." Or if he does, he has a strong poker face.

"How can I help?"

Rarity hopped off the bed. "For starters, could you tell me what you think about this outfit." She struck a pose. "Please, be honest. I would rather you tell me how you personally feel than spare my feelings."

"Well, to be honest, it's nice. But it's a little much."

Rarity took the time to relax. "Oh, how so?"

"Well, the color is nice, but it doesn't seem to be the right one. I happen to like a girl in pink, but this doesn't fit you very well. And the gems are too glamorous. It's like a rich man wearing a pair of gold shoes: They're nice, they're expensize, but they're just heavy and too much of a burden. And the...whatever you call it you're wearing covers you up too much. But that's my opinion."

Rarity looked herself over. "I can't say your completely wrong, but there is some truth. Why don't you take a seat on my bed while I change."

Bryce did just that as Rarity slipped behind a partition, which Bryce noticed stood in front of the white mare's wardrobe.

When Rarity came back out a few seconds later, she had ditched everything from her last outfit, save for the bun in her mane, and now wore a quartet of navy blue and periwinkle striped socks. She leaned her back against the wall so she was standing on her backlegs. As she rested her head on her forelegs she gave a smile as she flaunted her trim belly to Bryce.

"Does this do anything for you?"

Bryce shook his head, clearly unmoved. "The color's still off. And now you're showing off too much. And the socks... They just look so... Wrong!!!"

"What's wrong with the socks?"

"It's just... Wrong!!! And I don't see how anyone would find them appealing in the slightest. And your mane doesn't look right either. Maybe try it down."

Forming her face into a pout, Rarity said, "Fine. Let me see if there's anything better."

For ten minutes Rarity changed her outfit, trying to get Bryce's approval. But with each one Bryce found something he didn't take kindly to. She tried a shirt that fit to her form, but it was too simple. She came back with her hair in it's original form, but no luck. She once tried to slip by with her usual appearance except for a purple ribbon studded with opals around her neck to see if he was paying attention. To keep it short, he was. Rarity was beginning to lose hope.

Until she came to the last outfit.

When Rarity came out from behind the screen she could tell she'd done something right just from Bryce's undivided attention.

She wore an outfit almost the same color purple as her mane. It was a thin camisole that cut off midway down her belly and exposed her shoulders. On the straps around her shoulders were a matching pair of lavender bows. She had a larger bow drawn around her horn. This one was outlined with gems that matched her eyes perfectly. In the candlelight, it was hard to tell which shined more, the gems, or Rarity's eyes. On her four legs were a set of silk stockings a shade darker than the camisole. At each knee there was another small lavender bow.

But what held Bryce the most was the mare's mane. In the short amount of time since her last wardrobe change it had straightened out to where it flowed with each step. And the mauve headband she wore only added to it.

When Bryce said nothing, Rarity said, "So, I finally found something to your liking then, hmm?"

"It's... Hard to explain."

"Is that so?"

"Ye- Yeah. Could you, I don't know, lie on the bed?"

"Why certainly."

Bryce stood up to allow Rarity access to her bed. Once there she again lied on her stomach and propped her head on a single hoof. "Is this what you had in mind?"

"No, I meant like lie. Like lie on your back."

She did it so fast it made her bed shake. When she was fully on her back it caused her mane to fall over the side of the bed. In this position, and from the way the candles shined off of it, her mane was like a waterfall.

"Rarity..."

She gave a smile. "Yes, Bryce?"

When Rarity looked up into the human's grey eyes she imagined what her life would be like after this. Any second now Bryce would take a knee and bend in close to her. She would look confused and rolled back onto her belly, not once breaking eye contact. Bryce would again say her name, but she wouldn't respond. She would just lie on her belly and do nothing as Bryce pulled in for that first kiss between them. Being a lady, she knew she should stop him, but it was just too perfect to stop. When he finally broke the connection between they would look into each other's eyes for what felt like eternity.

In the following months their relationship would become closer and closer day by day. Then would come the day her parents would inevitably find out. There would be the explaining, then the disowning, and then the complete loss of contact. But she wouldn't care, she loved Bryce and Bryce loved her.

One day they would marry, and there would be a big wedding to celebrate it. Many would disapprove of their union, but she loved Bryce and Bryce loved her.

Then, on the day of their wedding, her parents would arrive. They would all fight a fight that came close to wrecking their entire wedding, but she loved Bryce and Bryce loved her.

Within hours before the wedding, Rarity's parents would finally take to Bryce, only because they had seen nopony who had made her happier. And they would become husband and wife, because she loved Bryce and Bryce loved her.

With their marriage there would be foals. It wouldn't be possible for them to have any of their own, but they could always adopt. And despite their differences in species, genes, and appearance the foals would know they had a father, and a mother. They would love their parents and their parents would love them.

Finally, years down the road, one of them would succumb to their own mortality. Rarity hoped it was her first; she couldn't bear to see Bryce dead. Hoepfully not long after, the other would go off to Heaven as well, and they would be together, forever. Because she loved Bryce and Bryce loved her.

In Rarity's mind, this what she saw. And to her eye this is what seemed to be happening now as Bryce took a knee.

"Rarity..." Bryce said.

Rarity, too caught up in Bryce's gaze, said nothing. She watched as Bryce's face began to brighten. And with each passing second it lit up more.

It didn't take long for a disgusting smell to fill her nostrils.

Looking up, or down from her position, Rarity saw what had made such a rancid odor.

It was her mane.

Her mane, which was on fire.

In her haste to appease Bryce, when she had rolled over the first time she had accidently shaken a candle off her nightstand. But instead of going out it remained lit. The flame had spread over to her mane, and because it was completely straight was now long enough to reach the floor.

Normally, Rarity would have tried to put it out, but she had been so caught up in her imagination she hadn't yet come back to reality.

She looked back into Bryce's eyes.

Then to her mane.

Again to Bryce.

Then again to her mane.

This was when Rarity went berserk.

Jumping up, Rarity began to run around her bedroom, not caring where she went or what she bumped into. In her rage she continued to knock over more and more candles.

Bryce tried to shout over her screams, but it would never pierce through.

While most of the candles Rarity had knocked over went out, enough remained lit to ignite the carpeting.

Bryce tried to stomp out what he could, but with Rarity jumping around it was a hard job.

It all looked like it was over.

Then, Bryce stomped his foot down. He shouted, this time loud enough for Rarity to hear, "STOP!!!"

With this one command, Rarity skid to a halt and slammed into the screen she changed behind. This shout was follwed by a gust of wind; a gust powerful enough to blow out all the flames, Rarity's mane included.

But when the fires went the light went as well.

For a few seconds, Rarity could hear nothing over her own heartbeat. Then there was the sound of heavy footsteps, coming from somewhere in the darkness.

When the footsteps came to a stop they were replaced with a loud rip, followed by a bright light flooding the room.

When Rarity could see, she saw Bryce standing by the window with a torn curtain in his hands. All around the room there were black patches where once had been fire. When the white mare could move she pulled her mane into her vision.

It was terrible.

There was almost nothing left of her once long, majestic mane, and what was left was melted together.

When Bryce came over to see about her she had hardly moved a muscle. "Rarity...?"

She didn't meet his gaze and kept silent. She instead looked down to her camisole. Though it had escapsed from being burned it was little more than gnarled lace. There was only a single strap on her shoulders left in one piece.

Tears began to form in her eyes.

"Rarity...are you...?" Bryce tried to lay a hand on the fashionesta's shoulder, but she shook him away. "Rarity, I just want to see if your hurt?"

At those words Rarity was finally able to meet Bryce's grey eyes. "Hurt... Hurt...? HURT!?" She shouted. "My mane's been burned, my room is in shambles, and my outfit, the one I'd finally found to impress YOU isn't even worth the thread I used to put it together." She buried her face in her hooves. She could no longer hold back the tears.

"Rarity..." Bryce said again.

"Oh, would you stop saying my bucking name already." She looked up to Bryce. "Bryce, Bryce, BRYCE!!! How does that sound!?"

"Rarity, I-"

"There it is again. Can you say nothing else, you stupid, simple minded, dense, handsome, uncouth idiot?"

Bryce didn't know what to say, but what she said hit deep.

Rarity began to cry, not trying to hide it in the slightest.

Bryce placed his hand on her shoulder, and was met with a sizeable smack across the face. "Leave me alone, you simpleton."

"Rarity..." He knew he chosen the worst possible word to say to the sullen mare.

"Get out," she said in a low tone.

"But-"

She raised her voice. "Get out!"

"But you-"

"Get out, get out, GET OUT!!! Can you get nothing through that thick skull!? GET OUT!!!" With her last shout, Rarity used her magic to toss a ponniquin at Bryce.

Bryce was able to duck out of the way. He made it to the door in time to avoid being trampled by a rogue sewing machine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Bryce came out the front door of Rarity's boutique he hit the ground running.

It didn't matter where he ran, he just wanted to try and get as far away from the white unicorn as possible. He doubted that she would be following him, not after the way he had left her. But after almost meeting his end to a sewing machine it felt best not to chance it.

No, Bryce didn't stop running until he he took a turn down an alleyway and placed his back against the wall. Sneaking a peek around the corner confirmed it: Rarity had no intention of coming after him.

Skulking back into the alley, Bryce slid down to the ground and grabbed his hair, tugging at it.

After the disaster with Rarity he felt terrible. In truth, there was no word yet to describe how he felt right now.

It had been bad enough that he had been the cause of the fashionista's duress, but having to learn the hard way how she had done all this for him was worse. And after the trouble he had put her through to find the one perfect getup that he liked the most, he felt all the more responsible for what happened.

But all this paled in comparison to how he had reacted during Rarity's frenzy. What he had done. How he, Bryce Smales, had managed not only to stop Rarity in her tracks, but also extinguish the flames.

For months now Bryce had thought he had control. For months he thought that nothing could happen to cause him to bring out that.

Looking back now, to his time in Equestria, to his time with the strange land's equine inhabitants, to the friends he had made it seemed there was no controlling it.

Even now, Bryce was struggling to get himself back in control. But no matter how many goods times he could think of helped him take the reins. He was losing the fight. If he couldn't get his mind off this soon there was no telling what would happen.

As if answering his pleas, there came a soft, singsong voice. "Bryce, what are you doing here?"

And like that, Bryce's mind cleared. It was that nameless voice, which came with a scent of calming lavender. It was the mare.

"I'm sorry?"

"What are you doing here in this alley? Trying to get out of the sun?" The mare asked.

He could be wrong, but the way the sun hit the mare almost made her silver coat, peridot eyes, and rose and lavender mane sparkle. The light breeze that blew across her mane added to the effect.

"No, I was..." Bryce lay his head back and sighed. "It's complicated."

"Oh? Mind if I sit with you? I'm feeling a little bit feverish."

"If you want."

The mare squatted down beside Bryce, well out of the sunlight. Once she was comfortable, she asked, "Bit for your thoughts?" Bryce let out a huff, showing he wasn't interested in her offer. "Come on, I'm sure if you talk about it you'll feel a lot better."

"Well, I would. But I don't know if I can, or if I should."

"What's the harm? If it's something embarrassing I'm sure it's not a bad as you think it is."

Bryce bit his lip and shook his head. He felt as if he shouldn't, but whatever unseen aura the mare let off forced the words out. He told the mare what had happened with Rarity. How she'd invited him into her boutique for a fitting, then up to her bedroom for his help. Then he told her about what that help had consisted of, and how, just when they had found the right clothing that would make Rarity turn the head of any stallion, and any colt who was of age, it had all taken a complete 180.

When Bryce was done speaking, the mare said, "I don't see what's wrong. I mean, you didn't have anything to do with it. I'm sure everything can be fixed. And you even got the fire out before there was any real damage."

"You just don't understand. You would have had to have been there."

"Well I wasn't, but from my view you didn't do anything wrong. Hay, if weren't for you then Rarity might not have a home."

"No, I'm not saying anything about that. I know I put out the fire, That's not what's upsetting. It's how I put it out that's the problem."

"You stomped it out."

"No.. I mean, yes... But..." Bryce shook his head. "I did stomp some of it out, but that's not how I put out the rest. It was just... Rarity wouldn't stay still, and I knew I had to do something. But how I did it..." Bryce paused.

The mare placed a hoof on Bryce's shoulder. "How did you do it then?"

Bryce began to say, "I used-"

Then, from above, he heard Rainbow call, "Hey, Bryce." Both Bryce and the mare looked up to see the rainbow mare coming in for a landing. "What are you doing here?"

"Rainbow, I was... It's complicated."

By then the pegasus had landed at the opening of the alley. "What, were you and your fillyfriend making out?"

Bryce looked over to the mare, who's pupils had shrunk at the sight of Rainbow. "What... No. NO. She's not my- We weren't doing-"

Rainbow gave a laugh. "I was kidding. Bait told me he was looking for you."

At that Bryce got to his feet. "I almost forgot about that." Before he left, he turned to the mare. "I'm sorry to leave you like this, but I have somewhere I need to be, and fast."

The mare waved him off. "That's alright with me. I have an appointment I need to get to myself. Do try and feel better, Bryce. And remember: What happened with Rarity was NOT your fault." Waving again, the mare took off.

Rainbow looked to Bryce. "What did she mean by that? What's going on between you and Rarity?"

Bryce rubbed the back of his neck. "I don't want to talk about it right now."

Rainbow blew a raspberry. "With her I bet it's nothing too serious anyway. I bet you got a small little stain on a dress and now she's trying to get it out."

If only it were that, Bryce thought to himself. "Where does Bait want me to meet him?"

"He's over at the clock shop. But, uh, before you go. Who was that you were with?"

"Who, that silver unicorn?" Bryce shrugged. "I have no idea. She just shows up whenever she feels like it."

"That's cool, that's cool. She must be new to town. I think I would remember somepony like her."

"Why's that?"

"Oh, you know. She's just...one of those mares that everypony notices... I mean, it would be hard to not because she's... You know..." Her words trailed off from there.

"I'll take your word for it. All of your kind look like little horse things to me. Well, I'll see you tomorrow morning for our workout session." Before leaving, Bryce said to Rainbow, "And, Blitzkreig. Your wings are doing that thing again."

"My wi-" She forced her wings to retract to her sides. "Darn it, wings, not now!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For once in the longest time, Thunderlane could say he was walking on air. Not in the literal sense, but since he had heard from the old stallion he was in league to be a Wonderbolt, Thunderlane felt there would be nothing to dampen his mood. It didn't matter now what anypony said or whatever happened, he would continue to hold his head high, for soon he would be above all of the pegasi in this backwater town, if not everypony in it. Most especially over that one; the one who would have to bow to Thunderlane and surrender his flight.

True, he doubted Bryce would bow, but still it would feel beyond awesome to see the human be knocked down a peg. But then there was the problem of finding Bryce. No doubt Bryce had decided to hide out at the apple farm to avoid Thunderlane. The human had to know there would be no way the slate grey pegasus would even consider paying for the watch. And now that the old stallion had the bits, there was no possibility of that happening.

It didn't matter now. There would be no easy way to hide something that large for long. Thunderlane didn't care if he had to go out to Sweet Apple Acres himself, he was going to find Bryce, get his flight back, and become a Wonderbolt.

Rumble, who had been following his brother through town, felt nothing but dread for Thunderlane. The lecture their parents had given the older pegasus about drinking and loose mares had been bad .The light grey pegasus couldn't imagine what they would do to Thunderlane when they found out about the coffee can in the pantry. Right now killing the stallion seemed a tad severe, but after being kicked back inside the house Rumble wouldn't care if that were to occur. He knew their parents would never go that far, but whatever punishment they gave Thunderlane would be too lenient in Rumble's opinion.

Then, without much warning, Thunderlane came to a stop. Whatever he saw had caused him to stop and began to hop on the tips of his hooves. When Rumble saw what had made his brother erratic he could hardly believe it.

Thunderlane was happy. Happy to see Bryce coming out of the clock shop with a tan colt and... The old stallion.

"Lane, you do know who-" But Thunderlane ignored the colt and almost went running at Bryce. Instantly, Rumble could only think the worst. He ran after the older pegasus. "LANE, YOU'RE GOING TO GET YOURSELF-"

But by the time Rumble caught up Thunderlane had again came to a stop, and was saying, "Just the guy I've been looking for."

Bryce gave Thunderlane a somber look. "What do you want?"

"Oh ho, I think you know what it is I want. Welp, let's have it."

"Have what?"

"Oh, nothing, just my flight."

It was then Rumble facehoofed. Not this again! He thought.

Bryce stared at Thunderlane blankly. "Why would I give you that?"

"Oh, trying to pretend last night didn't happen?"

"I wish I could, but I can't. You just always seem to crawl out of the seams."

"Then maybe this will help you remember. I won the bet." He fell back on his rump and crossed his forelegs across his chest. "Well, go on. While we're young," he said as he shut his eyes and gave a confident smile.

For long time, Thunderlane sat there like that as Bryce, the tan colt, and the old stallion looked down at him.

A few seconds rolled by before Bryce lifted his left arm to look at his watch.

After a few more seconds, Thunderlane opened his eyes; the smile still on his face. "Well, did you do it."

Bryce continued to look a his watch. "No, I'm just checking the time. It should be one o'clock about... Now."

Just then, a series of synchronized chimes came from inside Time Turner's shop, ending with a single 'ding' in unison.

Thunderlane gave a glare. "Hey, what the buck. I already told you I won the bet, and all you want to do is check the-" It was then Thunderlane realized what he was looking at.

Wrapped around Bryce's wrist was the very same watch the slate grey pegasus had taken. The very one he had pawned to Time Turner.

He could barely get the words out. "Wh- Where did you get... That?"

"My watch? From Time Turner's shop."

"From Time Turner's... That... That's..." He then looked over to see Ponzi looking at him. "Wh- What are you doing with..."

For the next few seconds Thunderlane looked back and forth between Bryce and Ponzi. "How do you two-"

"Know each other?" Ponzi asked. "You see, my nephew and he are friends."

"Friends? Who's your nephew?"

"You should say: Who is your nephew." Bait corrected. "And I am his nephew."

Thunderlane again looked back and forth. "This... This can't... You... He... I was..."

"Going to admit what you did?" Bryce asked.

"What? What did I do?"

"Remember our bet? You said if I got the watch by 1 o'clock then you would admit to stealing it in the first place."

"I... I'm not doing that!"

"I knew you wouldn't."

Thunderlane began to glare daggers into Bryce. This I know stuff again? "You... Give me my flight back."

Bryce gave a smirk.

"Fine, then I'll just... I'll tell the Guard Time Turner bought it, even though he knew it was stolen."

Bryce continued to smirk. "I knew you would say that."

"Yeah, do you know what I'm going to say next?"

"Yes, you're going to look real intimidating, then demand your flight, again."

"No, I'm going to go tell the Guard." Thunderlane began to walk off. He didn't get very far because Bryce had placed his foot on his tail. "Let go of my tail!" Thunderlane demanded.

"You could tell the Guard, but I'm afraid there won't be anything to charge him with."

"And why's that!?"

"It's odd. There doesn't seem to be a single record to show this watch was ever here until today. And that was so Time Turner could take a look at the mechanism. He payed me well for it, just to be fair."

"Quite a shame," Ponzi said.

"Yes, quite a shame." Added Bait.

Thunderlane began to hyperventilate as he grinded his teeth together. Taking an intimidating pose, he said, "Give me my flight now!!!"

Bryce shook his head with a smirk. "You pegasi and your damn wings." Bryce stepped forward so the pagasus' head came to his gut, but Thunderlane held his ground. "You listen to me, you feather brain. I am going to say this once, and only once. I didn't take away your flight. I do not have your flight. I never did, and never will."

For whatever reason, Thunderlane refused to listen. "And you're a liar."

"Believe what you want, Featherbrian. I'm in no mood now to mess with you." Bryce looked over to Rumble. "It's Rumble, right? I'm sorry you had to see all this. I hope I wasn't much trouble to you."

"N- No, you weren't any trouble to me. I'm sorry about my brother."

"Well, you had nothing to do with that." Bryce reached down and tapped the light grey pegasus on the nose, leaving the colt a little shocked. "You try and take care of yourself, kid. And watch out for your brother, if you can."

"I- I'll try."

With that said Bryce began to walk off, with Bait and Ponzi following close at his sides.

But Thunderlane refused to take this. Turning to face the departing human, he said, "That's fine. You just go on. But this ain't over."

Though Bryce clearly heard him, he said nothing as he walked on.

"I burned all of that wooden junk. it made a nice camp fire!"

"I'm sure they did," Bryce said back. "I can always make more."

"You know what, fine! You're nothing but a coward!"

"Lane, just leave him alone," said Rumble.

"Shut up, Rumble!!! This is all your fault!"

"No it's not. You're the one-"

Before Rumble could finish, Thunderlane lifted the colt and used his foreleg to press him hard against a nearby wall. He shook his free hoof in the colt's face. "Say one more word and I will bucking-"

As quick as Thunderlane had lifted Rumble, Thunderlane found himself being slammed against a wall. When he could see straight, he saw he was face to face with Bryce, who had a hand held tight around his neck. "Don't you dare hurt that boy. What's happening between the two of us is only between us. If you think I'm going to just sit back and let you do anything to hurt him because of me then you've got another thing coming."

"Bryce, stop this," he heard Bait say. "He's not worth it."

Bryce stared deep into Thunderlane's golden eyes with those same black, bottomless pits. The longer the stallion looked the more he felt himself fall into them. Then, when Bryce blinked, he saw them change to their normal grey. He released his grip from around his neck. "You heard what my friend said. You're not worth it. And he's right." Bryce let go of Thunderlane, allowing him to crash to the ground on his back.

"You just...made the biggest mistake of your life."

"Shut up!" Bryce said. "You got what was coming to you. Now accept it."

"I'm going to get back at you."

"Maybe you will, but not today." Bryce stuck out a finger and held it a few inches from Thunderlane's nose. "You listen here and listen well. I don't have your flight, and never did. The only thing keeping it from you is yourself. While I won't tell you how I will say this: You will get it back. But, I also give you this: You will one day be seen as the center of attention to all pegasi. You will be seen as one of the most important, and in truth you will be."

"But the day you would have played your role you will find it filled by someone you least expect. Someone you think no more harmful than a butterfly. Why is this? You see, you will be too unwell to perform. Someone you would never think will take your place, and take the glory you thought would be yours. All of this, I know."

With that said, Bryce again walked away from the pegasus.

But Thunderlane wasn't done. Not yet. "You know what, just go. You just go and enjoy your time. I'll get back at you, you dame ape. And when I do everypony will see you for what you really are: A monster. Because that is all you are. You fight tough but you're a coward, and the only reason anypony fears you is because you're tall. But when I'm done with you they'll have something to fear. I'm going to make you out as one of the worst things to ever have entered Ponyville."

All this Bryce heard. And he could only hope Thunderlane would skulk away from this.

He didn't know what Thunderlane had planned, or if he had one, but Bryce could only hope the pegasus would let this lie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For a few hours since Bryce went running out of her boutique Rarity could hardly bring herself to move. When he finally found the will to do so, she almost broke down a second time over the state of your bedroom. Her torn clothing and scattered belongings were bad, but didn't compare to the scorch marks in the carpet. And she hadn't even looked in a mirror.

For more than an hour afterwards Rarity looked around to assess the damage. The burnt carpeting and shredded clothes were obvious. But there were the things she hadn't seen at first. There was the ponniquin and the sewing machine, which each cost a pretty bit. Then there was also a sunken portion in the center of the floor. She almost tripped over that one. And all the clothes in her wardrobe she'd placed countless hours into were ruined. All ruined.

But it was her mane she felt the worst about. It had taken the white mare more than a year to grow it out to the proper length, and a whole nther to get it to curl as it did. Even though it was hard to manage Rarity felt it was worth it. And now, more than two years of work had been flushed down the drain. She didn't even know if it would all grow back.

She realized her mane may make her come off as snobbish but she didn't care. Her mane and manestyle was a part of her. A part of her pride was caught up in her mane, and now that pride had all been reduced to soot and ashes. And the smell, it was impossible to describe.

Pulling the blanket off her bed, Rarity drew the cover around herself to hide from the world.

In the darkness, she was damning herself mentally. She couldn't ever face the world again, not like this. For minutes she thought of what could have gone wrong. What had made her life turned to this mess. This big, burning, putrid mess.

Then it hit her: Bryce. This was all because of Bryce.

If it hadn't been for Bryce this would have never transpired.

If only that impudent beast hadn't been so dense.

If only he had more competent and understood what she had been hinting at.

If only he were more couth than she wouldn't have to resort to such a barbaric display.

If only he had been more... Normal.

But with each thought of what Bryce should be like the more Rarity realized something.

It was because of his differences that had attracted her in the first place.

If one were to take away all the things that made Bryce be so thickheaded, so uncivilized, so... Different.

If somepony took that away from him what would be left to enjoy.

For a long time Rarity sat curled in her blanket and pondered all this, until she felt something tap at her back.

When she felt that, there was only one person she could think of who would touch her in this state. Throwing off the blanket, she said, "Bryce!?"

But it wasn't Bryce who had tapped her. Instead, she found it was the Persian kitten, who sat looking up at Rarity with concern. "I'm sorry, I thought you were..." She didn't have the heart to say that name again.

Seeing Rarity as she was, the kitten did what she thought was best. She pressed her head into the chest of her owner.

Immediately Rarity was hit with a wave of different emotions. She was still hurting over what had happened with Bryce, and the destruction of her room, but now she felt the one thing she wanted all along.

She felt loved. It wasn't from what she had expected, but it was love.

Taking a hoof, Rarity brought the kitten in close, causing it to purr into the mare's chest. "My, you fell so... soft. I could never imagine..." Fresh tears began to form in Rarity's eyes. "It's going to be alright, kitten. I might not know what's best for you, but for now you are all I want." Rarity drew in a breath, but something flared in her nostrils.

She took a second whiff. "That smell. I know it." She took a third. "I know, it's perfume. Did you get into my perfume?"

A fourth smell confirmed. "You did, but what brand is that?"

After a few more whiffs, Rarity's eyes flew open. "That's Opal perfume. Opal...hmm. What was it Bryce said? I'd sniff one out?" She chuckled to herself. "Well, I suppose he was right." Rarity cradles the kitten into her leg. "I'm going to name you Opal. In fact."

Dropping the newly dubbed Opal onto the bed, Rarity ran over to the reminants of her wardrobe. After digging through the scattered corsets and shredded stockings she found what she was looking for. Grabbing it in her magic, Rarity brought the object over to Opal and tied it around her neck. "There you are, an opal ribbon for Opal. Hmm, maybe Opalescence would be a better name. Something more regal for something so snooty."

Opal meowed in response.

"You're right, Opalescence. Though I think I will still call you Opal for short. What do you say to that?"

Opal show her agreement by sinking into Rarity's offered hoof.

"Oh, I knew you'd like it." Rarity looked around. "I suppose your home could use a little tidying up. Oh fiddle dee dee, tomorrow's another day. Why don't we go and find you something to use as a cat bed? I know the perfect thing."

For the rest of the afternoon, and well into the evening Rarity gave Opal her constant attention. At times her thoughts were brought back to Bryce, but she let them all sink down. She knew she had to say to something to Bryce, but she would cross that bridge when she came to it. For now, all that mattered was her and Opal.

PreviousChapters Next