• Published 22nd Dec 2013
  • 6,729 Views, 482 Comments

Extremely Loud, Intensely Bright, Drastically Tense, Exceedingly Tight - h4ns



When Bryce Smales goes to the park with his dog the last he expects is to be sent to Equestria. To some it would be a godsend. But for Bryce it is a chromatic and shrill hell. But with the help of the locals he may just discover a better life.

  • ...
50
 482
 6,729

PreviousChapters Next
Spiderwebs

Chapter 6: Spiderwebs

In no time at all Bryce had finished the meager meal the orange one had brought up. After placing the tray, along with what he couldn't eat, onto the table, boredom easily sat in. Trying the door Bryce was surprised to find it unlocked. Either they're overly trusting, or they're waiting for me to make the first move and hunt me for sport.

Not wanting to take a chance of encountering anymore of the denizens of whatever bizarre reality this was, Bryce decided to stay in the room. Looking around the small bed chamber he instead chose to find something to hold his attention. On one wall was a window. Sitting under this window was a chest. Opening it he found a handful of candles, a candle holder, a box of matches, and an assortment of blankets, sheets, and pillows. Well its gonna be dark soon. After removing a few of the candles, the candleholder, and the matches from the chest he lowered the lid.

Taking a glance out the window Bryce took notice of another of the horse things. This one was red, larger than the others he had yet seen, and had what looked like a tattoo of a sliced apple shown in frontal view on its rump. Judging from his size Bryce guessed this must be the one they called 'Big Mac'. He lost sight of him when he walked to another side of the farmhouse.

With nothing better to do he inserted one of the candles into the holder and lit it. At least I have some light. Placing the candleholder on the table he sat down on the bed. Well I've done that. Turning his vision down towards the floor Bryce tried to find any shapes within the cracks of the wood.

Nearly an hour later he had found cracks that formed in the shape of a man faced fish, a buffalo like creature with its guts hanging out, and one that looked like the Mona Lisa, but only if you looked at it from the right angle. His concentration was interrupted when heard movement in the hallway. Thinking fast he swiftly made his way to the table and doused the candle.

Bryce held his breath to hear better. Listening in he was relieved when he heard the door across the hall open and then shut followed by the sound of water running through pipes.

For the next half hour Bryce listened as this happened three more times. Then he heard voices through the wall adjacent to the door. He pressed his ear against the wall to listen in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why do Ah need ta go ta bed so early?", Applebloom asked in a whine.

"Cause you're coming out with me again tomorrow, bright an early," replied Applejack.

"But Ah wanna stay here."

"Oh no you're not, not with that varmint in the other room yuh aren't."

'Come on Applejack he's not gonna hurt anypony."

"Now don't yuh go telling me that, he smacked the hay outta my hoof when Ah went ta check on'em. There's no telling what he'd do ta yuh if he had the chance."

"Well why is Granny staying then."

"Because she's more stubborn than uh mule. Ah tried ta get her ta leave but she won't."

"But can't we just...?"

Applejack interject, "Ah said no. Don't ask again."

Applebloom huffed in disappointment and fell in a heap on the floor, her head laying on her hoof.

"Ugh Applebloom don't lie on the floor yuh just had your bath."

Applebloom made no move to comply.

Having enough of her attitude for one day Applejack scooped Applebloom up and threw her onto her bed. "Now goodnight Applebloom." She made her way to the door.

At least he never threw me around.

Hearing the filly mumbling something the apple mare turned around, "What was that Applebloom?"

Getting back on her hooves Applebloom said out loud, "Ah said at least he never threw me around like you just did." She then laid down, with her head turned away, and covered herself in the blankets.

Applejack was shocked at her little sister's outburst. Slowly walking back to the bed she stammered, trying to find the right words, "Applebloom...Ah...Ah'm s..."

Applebloom responded by throwing a pillow at Applejack. With tears in her eyes she cried, "Ah don't care. Just...leave me alone."

Applejack just stood there, unsure of what action to take.

Applebloom turned back around, not wanting to talk.

Feeling both ashamed and hurt, Applejack exited her sister's bedroom. Before shutting the door she said, "Good...goodnight Applebloom. Ah still love yuh." When no answer came she closed the door and walked the rest of the way to her own room. She was on the verge of tears.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bryce felt worse now than he had before, wishing he had kept to himself. Everything I do turns to crap. I've only made things worse. What did I do to end up in a place like this.

Walking away from the wall he lied down on the bed and attempted to get some sleep.

But no matter how hard sleep refused to take him. For hours he tossed and turned, just trying to find that one position that wouldn't leave him sore when he woke up.

Finally, when it seemed impossible, Bryce found that one position. The one position that would slowly draw him into the world of dreams. Ahh ora è la volta per i sogni.

Just as he was dozing off, Bryce was jolted from his stupor by a rhythmic tapping. He pushed himself with his arms, "Put down that jelly doughnut Kevin Bacon."

Wait...what?

Taking a look around the room he found nothing. I must have imagined it. Bryce lied back down.

A few seconds later Bryce heard another tapping. Wait...that's not tapping. Getting up again he looked towards the door. Shit someone's out there. If they're here to kill me they're doing a poor job of it. Bryce quickly got on his feet. Well let's see them kill this. Grabbing the pillows he laid them lengthwise on the bed and placed a blanket over them.

With his trap set Bryce made his way over to the table. Feeling around he grabbed hold of the candle holder and the box of matches in his bandaged hand. At the same moment he heard the door handle 'click'.

Bryce held his breath as the hinges let out a 'squeak'.

It squeaked again.

And again.

The last one was followed by the clopping of hooves.

He listened as their owner clopped over to the bed, all the while holding his breath. Wait for it...

Suddenly the clopping stopped. It was followed by a shifting noise coming from the bed. Wait for it...

"He...hey creature. Ar...are you awake."

NOW!!! Making his way for the door he pushed it shut. Pulling out a match, Bryce struck it against the side of the box and ignited the candle. Dropping the match he rested his now free hand on the door frame to keep it closed.

Standing there, scared stiff, was the little horse thing he'd found under the wagon. Seeing this he relaxed a little. Thank God...it's only her.

Unfortunately she wasn't seeing the situation in the same light. Bryce took a small step towards the filly.

This made her tense up, "Applej..."

Acting fast Bryce knelled down to cover her mouth. Shaking his head Bryce said, "Don't do it. I'm not going to hurt you. Nod if you understand."

She nodded.

Placing the candle on the floor he said, "Good. Now I'm going to take my hand off your mouth. When I do will you promise to keep quiet?"

She nodded again

"OK." Removing his hand he moved it up to her head and stroked her mane.

She moved back.

"Hey, hey calm down I'm not gonna hurt you." Bryce picked her up by the belly and placed her on the bed. He dropped his arms to his sides. "OK, now then let's..." Bryce had to stop when he felt heat on his left arm.

Bringing it back up he found his bandages had caught on fire. Batting at the flames Bryce shouted, "Shit! Grab the blanket!"

The little one froze up at the sight.

Bruce got her attention, "Hey look at me! Grab the blanket and cover my arm!"

Her attention now on him, she did as she was told. Snatching up the blanket the filly swung around and threw it on Bryce's arm, putting all her weight on it for good measure.

Bryce hissed in pain, his already burned arm more irritated than before. After a full minute Bryce said, "OK little one, I think it's out by now. You can let get up now, please."

She complied.

Laying his back against the wall Bryce began to laugh, much to the confusion of the filly. "Well what doesn't kill you makes you stronger I guess. Ahh it still hurts like a bitch though. He laughed again. Turning his gaze to the dumbfounded filly, while trying to avoid look into her large eyes, he said, "Hey? You all right?"

The little one slowly nodded.

At this his mood dropped, "Good...that's good. Now, wha...wha...what'd you come i...in here for anyway?"

The little horse thing opened her mouth but quickly closed it and looked down, her ear drooping with them.

"What's the matter...cat got your tongue?"

She made another attempt to speak but stopped herself again.

"He...hey, I...I know you can talk. If...if you're worried about me getting upset I promise I won't."

She perked up a little, "H...h..."

Bryce shrank back a little still not fully comfortable with this knowledge.

"Hi..."

Bryce waved a hand, "H...hi..."

A long pause followed.

She was the one to break the silence, "M...my name's Applebloom."

Bryce let that sink in before he responded, "I'm...I'm I'm Br...Bryce. Bryce Smales."

Applebloom extended a hoof, "Well uh nice ta meet yuh...Bryce Smiles."

Come on, every freakin time. Bryce lifted his hand. He hesitated, "Uhh?"

Applebloom was confused, "Wha...what's the matter? Did Ah do somethin wrong?"

"N...no. I'm j...just not sure if you wa...want me to shake o...or fistbump."

This confused Applebloom even further, "Huh? What's a...fistbump?"

Now Bryce was confused, "You know...a fistbump. When you....Well I guess you won't even know a fist is now...would you?"

Applebloom shook her head.

Demonstrating with his own hand, Bryce said, "Well it...it's when someone takes their hand, thi...this thing on the end of my arm, and balls it into a fist." He made a second fist with his other hand, "And someone else does the same and then they, well, bump." He finished by place the front's of his fist together.

"Yuh mean a hoofbump?"

"A....hoofbump?"

"Yeah, it's when two ponies do kinda the same thing, but...with...hooves."

Bryce looked past her.

Extending her hoof again, Applebloom said, "Well you can do which ever one yuh want...Ah guess."

"Uh...OK?" Bryce did a quick fistbump? Hoofbump? What ever the H you would call it, he did it.

Another awkward silence followed.

It was broken by Applebloom yet again, her eyes looking off to the side, "So...what uh...what are yuh?"

"Uh...what d...do yuh me...mean?"

"Ah mean kind of creature are you?"

"O...oh. I'm uh....a human."

Applebloom's mind drew a blank, "What's a...Hugh Man?"

"A human, that's...that's what I am. A homo sapiens"

"Ho...mo...say...pee...in?"

"No, a homo sapiens. You have to include the second 's' at the end."

"O...oh."

"H...have you n...never heard of a hu...hu...human before?"

Applebloom shook her head.

"Oh...Well I...I guess that explains the uh...not so warm wel...welcome then."

Silence filled the room a third time. Bryce brought his legs up to his chest and looped his arms around them, staring off into space.

Hey Bryce Smiles...are you OK?"

Just let it slide Bryce, just let it slide. "Yea...yeah. Wh...wh...why?"

"Ah only asked cause yuh keep rocking back and forth."

Bryce felt embarrassed, "Oh...y...you noticed that?"

Applebloom nodded.

"Well I'm fine. It's just...I sometimes do this to help me calm down. Sometimes I don't even notice I'm doing, ha ha ha."

"Oh...What's making you so nervous?"

Bryce shied back, "Well...I...I don't know if I can say really."

"Wha...what do yuh mean?"

"I'm not really used to this...place. Like...at all."

"Yuh mean the house?"

"N...no I mean this...world, this reality, I don't know what to call it."

Applebloom frowned, "O...oh, is there any way Ah can help."

"Well the...there really isn't any...any...anything that can b...be done about it. I mean in...in truth I'm nervous n...no matter wh...where I am. I just feel...out of place everywhere. Just mor...more so now."

"Is it something Ah did?"

Bryce paused, "Well not you entirely."

This saddened the filly, "Oh...I'm sorry."

"Huh?"

"Ah said Ah was sorry." She lied down on the bed.

Bryce was taken aback. He banged himself once on the head, "No! Look it's not you...you didn't do anything wrong."

"But yuh just said..."

Bryce interrupted, "Look, it's just...it's just really hard to explain."

"Cou...could yuh try explaining it ta me?"

"Well...I could try. When I said it wasn't you entirely, I meant...it's just..."

"Wha...what's wrong?"

Bryce exhaled, "It's that...I want to say it, I...I just don't know h...how you'll take it."

"Is it really that bad?"

"I don't know..."

Applebloom hopped down off the bed and situated herself in front of Bryce, "Will it help if Ah promise not to get mad if Ah don't like it?"

Bryce tried to avoid her gaze, "Well...I...I guess s...."

"OK, I promise Ah won't get mad at yuh for what yuh say. Is...is that good enough."

"OK, but cou...could you sit down first?"

Applebloom did as she was asked.

"Well, let me start at the beginning. I said I was nervous...always nervous. Whenever I go to someplace I'm not used to, like this room for example, or get faces with a new situation I get more nervous than usual. But whenever I get around people I need to get used to them before I can even say anything to them."

"Is...is that why yuh wouldn't talk to my sister?"

"Well yeah that's a part of it."

"Then...how are yuh able ta talk ta me?"

"Well I can talk better with people I like and..."

Applebloom perked up at hearing this, "So...yuh like me then?"

"Um, well, you see I...I haven't really gotten to the point where I like you yet."

Applebloom's mood dampened, "O...oh."

"Look, you didn't let me finish. It's not that I don't like you personally, it just that...I can trust you more because of your age."

Applebloom looked up, very confused, "Yo...you like me because I'm a filly."

"Well...yeah. I guess I'm trying to say I can get along better with people not my age. I...can't really relate to others my age. Do you understand?"

Thinking for a moment Applebloom replied, "Ah...Ah think Ah do. Does that mean you'd talk ta Granny Smith?"

"Who's Granny Smith?"

Applebloom caught herself, "She's granny."

Bryce was confused, "Yeah I get her name is Granny but who is she?"

"Granny."

"Who is Granny Smith?"

"No, Granny Smith is granny."

"OK but who is Granny Smith?"

"Granny."

By now Bryce was getting infuriated, "What is Granny's full name?"

"No it's Granny Smith."

"Her name is Granny Smith?"

"Yeah."

"Now what is your relation to her?"

"Granny."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying she's granny."

"No...are you saying she's your grandmother or she's Granny Smith?"

"Ooooohhhhh...she's granny."

"She's Granny?"

"Yeah."

"Granny Smith?"

"Yeah."

"OK...Stop! Granny Smith is your grandmother?"

"That's what I've been saying."

"Well then...is she older than I am?"

Applebloom nodded.

"Well I probably would."

In their argument she'd forgotten all about her first question, "Would what?"

"Be able to talk to Granny Smith better than anyone my age."

"Oh..."

There was a pause between them."

"Can...can Ah ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Why were you so afraid of out in the orchard, and why'd yuh cover yourself in that blanket?"

Bryce looked down at his feet, "Well...that one's complicated."

This only peeked Applebloom's interests as she scooted closer.

"It's...it's because...can I ask you something first?"

Applebloom nodded.

"Can everyone of your kind talk?"

This made Applebloom uncomfortable, "Yea...yeah. Can't they talk where you're from?"

"Welllll...no. In my world only thing that can talk are humans. I mean there are certain species of birds that can also talk but mostly only humans talk." Bryce paused to let that sink in.

"But...but you do have ponies in where you're from don't cha?"

"Well yes, but they are very, very different."

Applebloom inquired, "H...how are they different?"

"I think that's a story from another time, but going back to what I was saying before humans are the only living thing that can talk."

Applebloom looked disappointed, "Then how come you were so scared?"

"Do...do you still promise not to get upset?"

"Yea...yeah."

"Because to me, in my mind set animals aren't supposed to talk. I mean I always felt safe around animals because I could always say anything to them, and I mean anything to them, even when I knew it was crazy." Bryce hid himself behind his legs.

"Do...do yuh feel safe around me?"

"I...I do. When I first find you under that wagon I thought you were like any other horse, it didn't even cross my mind you could say a single word. That...that was why I ran. When I saw the orange one talk..."

"The orange one, do yuh mean Applejack."

"Yea...yeah, the one with the braided blonde mane and tail?"

"That's her."

"Well anyway when I saw her yelling at me I...I just couldn't take it. I...I don't man to be offensive, but I hate it. I don't mean it in the literal sense, I don't hate anything or anyone, I just don't like it...at all."

"Does...does that mean yuh want me ta stop talking around yuh?"

Bryce opened his legs so he could see her. She looked like she was about to tear up. Just seeing her like this made him want to cry as well, that and the pent up rage.

"Hey, hey now don't cry, come on over here."

Applebloom reluctantly stood up and trembled over to him. She was surprised when Bryce picked her up and held her tightly, his hand gently caressing her back.

"I...I didn't mean that I wanted you to...to stop talking. I mean who am I to tell you to stop doing something you were born with."

Applebloom sniffled, "But, you just said you didn't like it when I talked."

He held her more tightly, regardless of the irritation it gave his burn, "No I said I didn't like it that you horse things could talk. To me you're not one of them."

"Ah...Ah'm not?"

Bryce held her out under her forelegs so he could get a better look at her, "No, of course not. You're the first friendly thing I've seen in this place, really in the longest time. Does that make you feel better?"

"Yeah...it actually does," Applebloom replied, a small smile beginning to form on her face.

Bryce put her down on the floor.

"But why were you keeping yourself under that blanket?"

"Well you see when your sister came to check on me, after I feel off the bed, she...she touched my shoulder."

"That's all? What's so bad about that?"

"You really too yound to understand this but some people just don't like it when others touch them. When someone touches me I just can't stand it."

"I still don't get it."

"I can't really explain it. It's just how I've always been. Just please trust me on this..."

At that moment the lone candle that was enlightening the small room finally gave out as it flickered and died.

Bryce felt something wrap around his legs, "I...is that you little one?" As if confirming his suspicions, the thing wrapped around his legs pulled tighter. "Well I need you to let go so I can get another candle." Reaching down to his legs Bryce felt a silk ribbon confirming it was indeed Applebloom. "Come on now it's nothing to be scared of. Here just grab my hand and I'll put you on the bed."

Slowly Applebloom let go of the human's legs and felt around for his hands. When she finally found them she was yanked up and thrown onto the bed.

"OK, just sit tight. Once I find the candles and the matches we'll be able to see again." Before leaving he added, "You all right?" No answer came. "You're gonna have to say something little one, I can't even see my hand in front of my face."

"Yea...yeah Ah'm...Ah'm OK."

"Don't be scared now, keep talking to me."

"Wha...what do you want me ta say?"

"Well can you tell me where Corn is?"

Thinking for a second Applebloom replied, "Sure, he...he's at Fluttershy's cottage."

"Oh really, who's that?"

"Who Fluttershy, she's the local animal doctor."

"How good is she?"

"Oh she real good, she's able to communicate with animals and ask them where they're hurtin. We're always taking our animals here on the farm to her and they come back fit as a fiddle."

Bryce finally found the candles, "Is she nice?"

"Sure, she's one of the kindest ponies you'll ever meet. Though she shy like you."

"Is that so, well I guess Corn's in good hands then?"

After a short pause Applebloom asked, "Hey Bryce, why is your dog named 'Corn'?"

Still feeling around for the matches Bryce in turn asked, "Let me ask you something first, do you have movies have movies in this world?"

"Uh...yeah."

"Well to answer your question I call him Corn, but it's really short for 'Cornelius'. I got the name from a movie. I used to have a bitch named 'Zira' but...she's in a better place."

"Oh...What's a bitch?"

"You know, a female dog."

"Yuh mean like our girl dog Winona?"

"Is she the one that ran away this morning?"

"Uh huh."

"Sure, that's a bitch. Ah here they are." A second later Bryce struck a match and lit the candle. "See...that wasn't so bad now was it?"

"Well you...*yawn*"

"You OK there little one?"

"Yeah, Ah'm...*yawn*...Ah'm just tired."

"Well I think its time for little ones to be heading off to bed."

"Don't...*yawn*...don't call me little."

"Well I usually give nicknames to people because I don't like to use names."

"Can't you call me something besides that?"

"I normally let the name come on itself, what would you want to be called?"

"Anything...*yawn*...anything besides that."

"OK, how about 'Flower Bud'?"

"No."

"'Blossom'?"

"*yawn*...nope."

"'Appleseed'?"

"Nooo."

"How about...how about 'Sprout'?"

"OK...*yawn*...yuh can call me that."

"Well Sprout, it's time for fillies to go to sleep. Ora è la volta per i sogni."

To this Applebloom replied, "Huh, what'd yuh say?"

Holding open the bedroom door he answered, "I said 'now is the time for dreams."

"Oh...OK. Goodnight." She stopped, "Hey Bryce. Ah...Ah know yuh said yuh don't like ta be touched, but can Ah give you a hug before Ah go?"

Exhaling Bryce said, "Normally I would say no..."

"Oh...sorry Ah asked."

Bryce stopped her before she could leave, "...but these aren't normal circumstances." He bent down and held out his arms, "Come on before I change my mind."

Applebloom quickly jumped up and wrapped her forelegs tightly around Bryce's thick neck. Bryce hugged her back even tighter causing Applebloom's back to pop in places.

"Now go on Sprout, catch some z's."

"OK, goodnight Bryce."

"Buon notte Sprout."

Closing the door behind the filly, both boy and pony were finally able to go soundly to sleep.

PreviousChapters Next