• Published 12th Oct 2013
  • 5,941 Views, 92 Comments

A Beautiful Night - bakersong



When Luna is feeling sadden and alone after two months of being back, she goes to a spot that views the entire city of Canterlot, and the view is beautiful at night.

  • ...
12
 92
 5,941

The Meeting

It was a nice day out with some clouds darting the sky, but it was spring and he seemed to enjoy the weather. But knowing about his past now, which he felt like it was another's life and not his, he knew it was his past. For one thing that proved that was the sadness in his heart, the loneliness making sense from why he didn't feel like this house was his home, and why it felt something was missing.

That something was bringing her new coltfriend by to meet him, he wasn't nervous at all. He could say that he was jealous that he would never bring that happiness to her, but he knew it was for the best. For even though he knew his feelings were true he also knew that he had died and she was trying to move on, but knowing this he knew he would never move on.

Though he could not remember their relationship he knew his feelings for her were true. But to force her back into a relationship she so desperately wanted to get over would only bring her more heartache. Especially with her finally getting a new relationship and finding new friendship with him though he had no memory. Yes he could fight for her telling her that he knows about his past, but he knew that it would only make her upset as she wanted to protect him from his past, which he understood as he wanted to protect her from getting hurt.

Today was the day when he finally got to meet Onyx, and he would pretend not to know of his past. As he knew he could because he had been doing it with Luna for about a week, though it was tough. But he had agreed to meet Onyx for two reasons, one is because she had wanted to introduce them, and two was because he wanted to make sure he was a good guy.

His thoughts constantly drifted to Celestia telling him about his past though, he still had a hard time accepting that was his past. He at least understood why Luna had kept it from him, two hundred years of being alone being tormented by a creature who used him as a food source. But he always shook the thought out because even if it was his past it was all behind him now, he could start a new life. Though like he always thought now he would not be able to move on with his feelings and thus not be able to find somepony else, and then he heard a knock on his door.

"Coming!" He called snapping out of his thoughts. "Hello Luna, and you must be Onyx?"

"Yes it's so nice to meet you Song." Onyx said, but as Song actually looked at him his attention were drawn to the stallions eyes.

He didn't know why but his eyes sent a cold wave of fear through him, though he didn't show it as he put on his best smile. Though he looked at the eyes again and one was orange like the setting sun, and one was azure. And another wave of fear went through him. Inviting them in and offering them something to drink they made small talk.

"So Onyx what do you do for a living? I mean I know that you're one of the leading astrophysicists at the Canterlot Observatory, but do you do anything else in your spare time?" He asked.

"Oh yes I am, and yes I do. In fact I also study the mystery behind the Night Gem. If my memory serves from what I've heard your father also studied them, is that true?" Onyx asked.

"Onyx!" Luna said making Onyx draw away a little.

"No, no it's okay I don't blame you for not telling him, and I don't blame him for not knowing." He said keeping his smile, but he looked at Luna who was surprised at Onyx question.

"What do you mean?" Onyx asked.

"Well I have a severe case of memory loss i'm afraid. Before you ask, I talked to Celestia who told me I had massive head trauma not to long ago and suffered from short term memory loss for a minute as well. But through some training I managed to start remembering things again until finally waking up and now be able to remember everything I've done since. As for your question i'm afraid I really can't answer it, but from what I've read in my personal file I guess yeah he did." He smiled.

"Well sorry to hear that, and that's where I got my information from to. After all I make sure to study up on anypony just in case." At this his suspicion rose but he pushed it down, after all it did make sense. "It's a shame though that you lost your memory, I was hoping to see if he passed any knowledge down to you."

"Thanks, so have any luck though on your research on them?" He asked.

"Nothing that wasn't already discovered, but i'm not giving up hope just yet. I think I may be on the verge of making a new discovery." Onyx said proudly."But I did at least figure out some old legends on them, would you like to hear them?"

"Well sure it's always good to learn something new." He replied.

"Okay, well legend says that Night Gems are stars that have died. So ancient unicorns used them for some kind of ritual though no pony knows what the ritual is as it's been lost for a long time. The last known reference of them using this ritual was about fifteen hundred years before the three pony tribes found Equestria." Onyx said, and Song was listening but he knew he should already knew that. After all apparently he had spent decades studying them.

"That's very interesting." He said.

"Yeah it is, but anyhow so since you don't seem to remember do you know that you're seen as a hero?" Onyx asked.

"Yes I've noticed, though it get quite tiring telling them that I have no memory. Of course one of the strangest things I've heard was that I apparently die, can you believe that? I mean it took a little convincing that i'm not a zombie or anything." They all chuckled about that.

"Well maybe Luna here can shed some light on that matter. I mean I know you said that you had help with gaining control over your memory problem, but during the memorial service for you Celestia had said that you had died in a battle with an unknown enemy, along with Luna, But she told us that you had apparently been battling this enemy for years before the princesses knew about it." Onyx said.

"That was just a cover story in order to help him recover." Both stallions nodded their heads in understanding, after all a pony who had trouble with their short term memory, mixed with the fact that they also had long term memory loss, would not like it with being bombarded with questions.

"Now I know you didn't want me to say anything but I know that he must have heard about it by now." Onyx looked at Luna who was giving him a murderous stare. "Alright I won't ask then."

"Alright, well if you can't ask me then let's have something to eat shall we?" They nodded their heads. "Great I know a nice little restaurant that is supposed to be open twenty four seven.From what I heard I used to work there, and they even named their most popular dish after me." He smiled.

"That sounds lovely, and I know the place you're talking about. You were head night chef there." Luna said, but she also remembered that night.

"Ahh, so you're a cook huh? That makes sense from your cutie mark, but may I ask do you remember why it's bent like that?" Onyx asked.

"I'm afraid I can't remember, sorry." He said letting his smile fall a little.

"I can answer that, it's represents his love of cooking and he sings while he cooks. That's why it's bent that way." Luna said smiling.

"Well thank you for telling me what it means, I was racking my brain trying to remember." He smile at her.

-------

They had went to dinner at the restaurant and made more small talk, and he even got to meet one of his old friends. Though his friend was sad that he had lost his memory and wished them good luck, though as he walked away he glanced back at him with a sad look in his eyes. He knew what the look meant, his friend was sad because his old love was sitting right in front of him with a date.

"So Song you seeing anypony?" Onyx asked.

"Nope, I've been mostly trying to adjust without my memory to really get out and about." He answered, and he looked at Luna who was giving him a sad look. "And I don't think there really is somepony out there for me anyhow. I can't explain it but it feels like my heart belonged to another, but I know you two are together. So how's that working out?" Changing the topic before they could ask what he meant, for he didn't mean to let that one slip.

"Oh everything is going fine." Onyx said with a big old smile. "We decided to take things slow though."

"Yep, and I do agree so far things have been working out." Luna said.

"Well that's good to hear, now how about I take care of the check and we'll get out of hear and you two can go have fun." He smiled at them.

"Well thank you, but since you're the one who brought us hear why don't you let me pay. I would feel bad for letting you spend your bits on us." Onyx said, and before he could object Onyx had already grabbed it and was looking it over. Though something was wrong as Onyx contorted his face a little. "What? This much for three bowls of that stew?" Onyx took on a much angrier and menacing tone.

"That's why I wanted to pay, because I knew how much it was. After all you ordered without even taking a look at how much it cost." He said, though those eyes now filled with anger turned on him and the shiver of fear that he had came back a hundred times worse.

"Now you listen here I said I would pay and so I will." Onyx growled, and then shook his head. "I'm so very sorry I don't know what came over me." With a much softer and guilty tone.

"It's fine, though I would have expected somepony who live's in Canterlot to be used to those kind's of prices." He trying his best to cover the terror he felt, he still had no idea why those eyes alone sent a wave of fear down his spine.

"Yeah, you're right. I should have expected it to be expensive." Onyx said, and placing a bag of bits on the table.

They left it at that and went on their way out, thanking the waiter for the excellent services. Though they did get a few curious glances but they ignored them and went on. After they parted ways he found himself wondering through the caves, this would not surprise him if for the fact that he wasn't headed in the direction of the cliff. Instead he was headed down a new path the urged him to continue down it, and it did seem familiar.

"Dam it I know Celestia told me, but I wish I could just have my memories back. Maybe if I did then I would have Luna again, but since I don't I have to let her go." He said to himself. "Aaagh!" Screaming punching the cave wall leaving a nice hoof sized hole in it.

He laid down and started to cry over his lost memories, over his lost love. From what he could understand Luna was the only pony that ever understood him, as she also suffered from the same loneliness and sadness. And even though his feelings remained the same he had to let her move on, as she thought he had died and now he had to have help to remember his own name a little.

As he started to calm down he took long deep breaths to help him, and they seemed to help for the most part. He then stood back up and looked around once again, the cave wall that surrounded him looked like it was about to fall in. As though a battle had raged here, but that's when he remembered what Celestia said and realized that this must have been where he had made his last stand.

"Figures I would break down here seeing as this is the spot where I first lost her." He mumbled.

He wanted to go back and go to sleep, he may have been a night owl before but as of late he has been tremendously tired. So he had to rest, but something was dragging him forward and he didn't know what but he decided to follow it. Not soon after he came across part of the cave that seemed to have collapsed upon the rubble, but there was a giant gaping hole straight down the middle leading off somewhere.

After making sure it was safe he continued hoping that he would find some answer to how he could get his memory back without it feeling like a story. He kept making mental notes about where he was going just in case he got lost. But upon coming across two doors that seemed to have been blasted through his eyes went wide as he went into a massive chamber.

-------------

"So how did you know about his father?" She asked, though she knew that he would just say he looked it up.

"Well as I said I looked at his public record and all." Onyx said, and she had to hold in a sigh.

She knew something was amiss as she knew Song didn't exactly have public records, other wise Onyx would have known about the memory loss. That and she was sure she had told him, but she was scared of him a little now. what was that outburst, for she never seen him do that before. He had seemed so angry and for no good reason, she remembered the look of fear in Song's eyes and she wished she could talk to him about it.

But she had a feeling that the conversation would have lead to her having to tell him the truth. Though she made a note to talk to her sister about what exactly she discussed with Song. She had to make sure that his past remained a secret if she wanted both of them to move on, which she was surprised that Song had not found a date by now.

He was good looking enough, and everypony recognizes him as a hero. So she knew that he had to have a couple of offers, and she wanted to ask what he meant by he was pretty sure his heart belonged to another. For he made it clear he still couldn't remember, and as for her own relationship it was going fine but her heart still wasn't in it.

"Look Onyx I know what his records say, so please tell me how you knew about his father?" She asked again.

"Like I said I looked them up, and besides even Song said he looked at his own records." Onyx said.

"Yes, but he had access to his more private records." She wondered how far those went though. "So tell me how?"

"Alright i'll tell you how I know.' Onyx said taking on a serious tone and she looked at him, and he had that same anger he had before. "I know about his secret Luna, about how he is over two hundred years old. How he had a connection with a creature that granted him his immortality, and I know that the unknown enemy was this creature. And upon killing it you killed him, but somehow revived him. I know it all."

"B-b-but how?" She asked with surprise and shock, but at least the anger in his eyes went away.

"Like I said I do my research, and upon my research on him I found some old news papers that had a photo of him. They dated back just over two hundred years ago, it was shortly after his real parents were arrested. At first I though it wasn't him because he was just a young colt, but looking at him now I knew it was him. As for how I know about the creature i am a descendant of one of the ponies who discovered it trapped in that cave." Onyx explained, and she was looking at him in shock.

"You mean you know about the creature because of your ancestor?" She asked.

"Yes, it has been tossed down from generation to generation in my family. As for Song being two hundred years old, it wasn't hard to figure out. Once I read the old news paper saying that he explored a cave for days without his parents not even attempting to find him, the same cave the creature is in. After what I learned of the creature I knew he had made a deal with it, and as for me knowing about his foster dads research was because of another old news paper. Look Luna I promise I won't tell anypony, and that means Song as well seeing as he seems to have no memory of who he is. But I hope by me knowing this we can still be together..." He was cut off by Luna kissing him.

"Listen I know you'll keep your promise, and I thank you for that. But the one thing about it I must insist upon is you never ever tell Song about his past." She looked at his two different colored eyes.

"Yes I will keep it from him, but why? Don't you want him to know about your's and his relationship?" Onyx asked giving her a concerned look. "I mean I know your heart still belongs with him."

"You are right my heart will always belong to him, but the reason why I do not want him to know is because he has had a tortured past. I do not want to tell him about it, even if that means losing him. As it is right now I do not think he even remember's his feelings for me, and so i'm just trying to move on without bringing him heartache. I also do not want him to feel obligated to start a relationship with me just because of our history together, and besides I have you know." She answered.

"Thank you, but what you need to realize is that even though you seem to have moved on you're only lying to yourself." She gives him a look that asked the question for her. "Luna if you really want to move on you're going have to tell him, other wise this relationship might not go anywhere. So I want you to promise me that you will tell him, no matter how he takes it. Or if that makes him remember his feelings for you, I don't care as long as you get the closure you actually need and you come back to me." Onyx says bringing her in for another kiss, though she pulled away with a sad look in her eyes.

"I promise you that I will tell him by the end of the week, but I cannot promise you i'll be your marefriend anymore. If he does have feelings for me still then I may not help but to go back to him, but I will promise to always be your friend. And I hope we do get to take this relationship to a new level." She said, and he just give her a nod but she looked in his eyes again and saw pure rage and hurt cross them.

She couldn't help but also notice that his demeanor had changed again just like it did during dinner. It scared her a little but she had no idea why, could it be because he never showed this side before? No he showed that he got angry and even admitted that he wasn't happy because of the stress of his work, this was something else.

"Then i'll be waiting for you in the Observatory every night, and if you meet me every night for the week without telling him then we can still see where it may lead us. But if you tell him and you don't meet me on the last night then I know my answer, I will be looking forward to it though. Now goodnight and goodbye for now." Onyx said in a far different tone then what he always uses, but he smiled at her and walked off into the night to his home.

Now she know that she has to tell Song the truth whether he accepts it or not, or if he still has feelings for her. Onyx had a point that if she wanted another relationship to go somewhere she had to tell him to get the closure she needed, to know if he still loved her. If he did then they might get back together and start their relationship anew, but one thought crossed her mind.

"What if after all this time I don't have the same feelings anymore? I had accepted his death finally, and he does not have his memory anymore, do I even feel the same way after all this?" She asked herself, but even if she didn't love him like she used to she still loved him. And he did finally deserve to know who he was, especially to her. "I will tell you the truth my fallen prince, I may not feel the same way anymore but I do still love you." Whispering to herself, and she knew right then that no matter what her feeling will never change until she knows how he feels about her.

Author's Note:

Well this was a bit of a fun chapter to write, hope you enjoyed it. And what's this exactly about Onyx knowing about Song and the creature? And he is a descendant from the first unicorns who discovered the creature when they first came to settle on the mountain? And why did I reveal what Onyx knows so quickly? Well all of this and more will be explained better, see ya in the next chapter.