• Published 12th Oct 2013
  • 5,942 Views, 92 Comments

A Beautiful Night - bakersong



When Luna is feeling sadden and alone after two months of being back, she goes to a spot that views the entire city of Canterlot, and the view is beautiful at night.

  • ...
12
 92
 5,942

The Arrest

He couldn't help but enjoy himself at the party, though it seemed like it was for a foal he just felt happy. After a short embarrassing game of pin the tail one the donkey, ironically it was a donkey who won, he went to go mingle with some of the other guest. But after he made his way through he quickly found himself talking to Twilight again and they were having an interesting talk about his job.

"So wait, you got your cutie mark after you saw an orange comet streak past the moon?" She asked.

"Yeah, but the strange part about it is that without a telescope no pony could see it with the naked eye." He replied taking a sip out of the punch.

"Wow, no wonder your about my age and yet so successful. But one question still remains, you said that you did illusion magic so who was your mentor while you still were in school?" She asked.

"Ah, that would be Hoofdini." He said with great pride. "Though he taught me my magic I also had to take astronomy lessons as well."

"That's pretty impressive if you had him as your magic teacher. You must have been very talented in illusion magic if he taught you." She said taking a bite out of the cookie she picked up.

"Yes, well the first spell that I learned other than levitation was a invisibility spell. From what I now understand it was actually a some what complicated one to cast as well. So as somepony who knows something about magic you know that casting such a spell is hard for a fully grown unicorn, yet I casted it with ease." He had a modest tone about it.

"Huh, well you should have seen me when I took my entrance exam. I was casting advanced spells all over the place, from hatching a dragons egg, to levitating all four entrance examiners, to turning my own parents to plants, shot I even somehow did an aging spell." She now taken a more gloating tone.

"Hey not all of use have a cutie mark for magic you know, nor can we all be the personal student of a princess." He said.

"Yeah, yeah. So have you discovered anything while at work?" She asked.

"Actually I discovered an asteroid when I first started as head of the observatory." He said taking another sip.

"Really, what did you name it?" She asked her eyes in a little awe.

"I named it after Luna." He sighed a little sadly.

"Oh, that's right I forgot you're the one Luna is going out with now. But why do you sound upset?" She asked concern in her voice.

"It's nothing really." He said.

"Look you can tell me, I promise not to tell anypony." She said.

"Let's just say my and Luna's relationship may have ended." He said this time the sadness was evident.

"Oh my, what happen?" She asked.

"What you mean you haven't heard?" He asked.

"Heard about what?" She asked back.

"Song was found alive without no memory a little while ago." He said.

"What? But that's impossible!" She said her eyes widened in surprise. "I wonder why Princess Celestia didn't tell me that."

"Probably because they didn't want anypony to tell him about his past." He said. "But Luna and I talked it over, and we decided until she told him and they knew how they felt for one another that our relationship would be put on hold."

"I guess that makes sense, but are you going to be okay?" She asked putting a comforting hoof on his shoulder.

"Yeah, I just wished I had more friends like you." He said looking into her eyes.

----

"What do you mean you're the host?" She asked in complete shock. "And how do you know for sure?"

"It's exactly like how I said, i'm the host of the creature that tortured me for two hundred years. As for how I found out was because I was drawn into the caves, and I was drawn to the chamber that once held the creature." He answered.

"But that still doesn't answer my question." She said stomping her hooves.

"Luna, it spoke to me." He said quietly.

"H-how did it survive?" She asked.

"Like I said, when it took a piece of my soul it replaced it with a piece of it's. So i'm guessing even after death it still was attached to me." He replied.

"I refuse to arrest you just because you heard some voice in your head!" She yelled.

"Luna, it wasn't my own voice or anypony that I know. It was dark, ancient, and full of hunger for magic. As a princess of this country it is your duty to protect it from any threat. And don't try to worm your way out by saying that there isn't a law about this kind of situation, I spent all night and most of the day looking over every law I could. The law clearly states that if anypony is a host of a dangerous being then the crimes of said being will be put onto the host. Whether or not they have been taken over by it, though it's a harsh law I will still abide by it. So if you won't arrest me then i'll go straight to your sister." He said in a stern tone, with a stare that told her that this is something he will do no matter what.

"Laws can be rewritten! You have not been taken over by that monster, you're just an innocent pony who got caught in the middle of something." She said her tears not slowing down.

"I know they can be rewritten, but I don't want to take the risk of the creature taking over me while i'm in public. Luna it's power is still growing, slowly but still fast enough to where it might take over me in a few weeks or a few days." He said.

"I still refuse to allow you to turn yourself in! Let me help you." She said stepping closer but he took a step back.

"How can you help me? The creature is attached to my very being, it's consuming my soul Luna. It's only a matter of time before it consumes all of it and I won't be able to fight it off anymore." He said hanging his head low. "I'm just not strong enough to fight it, not anymore without my memory."

"But you are strong, you are still the Song that I feel in love with. The one who manage to hold onto his life for over two hundred years, the one who waited, the one who..who.. who will always have my heart." She said bringing him into a kiss.

"No, i'm sorry." He said pulling away. "I do still love you Luna even if I don't remember it in my head, but I don't want you to be hurt when I go. When I finally die and the creature lives again, so please move on continue with your relationship with Onyx. Please, I know it'll hurt you now but you have to arrest me."

"No!" She screamed. "Don't you even dare try to talk to my sister either, I will never allow you to turn yourself in!"

"Then you leave me no choice." He said closing his eyes a tears escaping before, and his horn glowed it's normal blue hue.

"W-what are you doing?" She asked just before he shot out a spell that hit her.

"I'm sorry Luna, I know the spell won't last long on you but it's the only way for me to do what needs to be done." He said with guilt in his voice and in his eyes as he watched her fall unconscious. "I am so very sorry, but I had to put that sleeping spell on you."

---

As she woke from her forced sleep from the sleep spell her mind was still a little hazy as to where and what she was doing. But she jumped up remembering that she had been talking, no arguing with Song about him being the host of the creature. She looked at the time, only an hour had past but she knew that was more than enough time for him to get to the palace.

She quickly took to the air hoping she was not to late from stopping him from turning himself in. He had been right when he said that there was a law that stated that if you are a host of a dangerous and wanted criminal or beast of some sort, then it would not matter if you still had control or not. The law was very strict and was placed there after the Sombra incident a thousand years ago.

When she finally made her way to the palace she did not hesitate and ran opening the door with her magic and ran into the palace. Though many guards tried to stop her to see what the problem was she just flew on by. She had to get to her sister and convince her not to take Song's case seriously.

"You do know what this means right?" She stopped when she heard her sister talking.

"Yes I do, it means that I would be punished like how you would if I were actually the creature. Just in case i'm the creature just trying to act like me, to disguise it self." Song said.

"Then you are here by under arrest for caring a dangerous being that could cause harm to this country and it's citizens. Though you may seem like yourself we cannot take the risk of it taking you over, and you will here by be given a sentence of that which you are hosting." Her sister said in her royal angered voice, with sadness behind it. "Guards take him away."

"No, please stop!" She burst in taking everypony by surprise. "Sister please you can't do this!"

"Luna you know the laws just as well as I do, and if he is the host of the creature then there is nothing I can do." Her sister said her own sadness starting to show.

"What about rewriting the law?" She asked trying desperately to not have him be tossed into their dungeon.

"That would take time sister, and by the time we will be able to make the change it could already be to late." Her sister said.

"Please let me try and help him, I made a promise that once he was back I would never let him go. Even if he didn't care for me, or even if I moved on I would never leave him. For I would have gladly accepted friendship if he offered it if that meant I could still be beside him." She said trying to regain her royal composure.

"Luna i'm sorry there is nothing I can do. You can still try to help him, but he will have to be locked away so if he does get token over he won't cause any harm." Celstia said though her sadness now only showed in her eyes.

"But what if I somehow manage to prevent that?" She asked.

"Even then as the law is now he'll still be punished as if he were the creature." Celstia looked away. "And that means since the creatures intentions were to try to seek out every unicorn and drain them of their magic, it's punishment is not a kind one."

"Whatever the punishment I will accept, even if that means death." Song spike up. "I'm sorry Luna, but this is to protect others..."

"That's just like you, you never want to hurt anypony. Even if that means it'll cause you harm, I refuse to let any harm come to you anymore!" She screamed.

"LUNA!" All heads turned towards Celestia. "I know you still love him deeply, but he made the choice to protect this kingdom from a potential threat. As he told me that he explained to you, you are in fact a princess of this kingdom and it is your duty to put the safety of it's citizens ahead of your own feelings."

"I know, but please just let me try. You can work on changing the law while I try to save him." She said looking at her sister desperately for help.

---

"You have nice eyes you know that?" He asked still looking into those purple eyes, and he smiled a little when he saw a slight blush.

"And you have interesting eyes." She said.

"So I do, but your eyes just seem to sparkle with beauty." He said.

"Umm, uhh, have you tried the cake?" She asked looking away.

"How about I tell you about my eyes, but what you're about to hear is a sad story. Not one I would normally tell to strangers." He said.

"Alright, but you don't have to tell me if you don't want to." She said.

"Oooh, what's going on over here? You two getting all lovey dubby?" Pinkie suddenly appeared next to Twilight.

"What, no we weren't!" Twilight squeaked a deep blush crossing her face. "He was getting ready to tell me about his eyes."

"Yeah, I saw you to looking at each other in the eyes looking like you two might kiss any second." Pinkie said raising an eyebrow in suspicion.

"Well i'm taken actually." He said.

"Oh please, I know you broke up with Luna last night. That's why you were all sad and mopey, and that's why I wanted to throw you this party." Pinkie said.

"I didn't necessarily break up with her, but wait how did you know about that anyway?" He asked.

"It's apart of that thing you won't understand, you two need to hurry up if you're going to get hooked up." Pinkie said with a wink and then bounced off.

"What did she mean by that thing you wouldn't understand?" Twilight asked.

"She said something about a book or something, I don't know she's your friend why don't you tell me what she meant." He said.

"I gave up a little while ago to try to understand that pony, as well as everypony in Ponyville." She said. "So you were saying about your eyes, if you don't mind me bringing that back up?"

"Oh, of course not." He said and looked over his shoulder and saw the pink mare looking at them with expecting eyes. "But how about we go somewhere more private to talk."

"Yeah, I think that be better." She said also noticing her friends stare, and he lead her to his private study.

Author's Note:

Sorry for this chapter being out later than usual, it's just apart of a new schedule that I worked out a little. Hope you all enjoy this chapter. Hope it didn't have to much cheesiness int it, but I was in the mode for cheese while writing this. There's american cheese, swiss cheese, white cheese, and pepper jack cheese...I think I need to stop hanging out with Pinkie Pie.