• Published 11th Oct 2013
  • 17,739 Views, 492 Comments

Friendship is Optimal: All the Myriad Worlds - Eakin



A series of brief character studies by proxy

  • ...
24
 492
 17,739

Shard #62,902 (The Conspiracy)

SHARD #62,902

It was a perfect world.

The stallion slipped out of the shadows of the alleyway for only a moment to check the time on his wristwatch. The contact he was supposed to meet was already forty-five seconds late. Maybe it was nothing, and there was an innocent explanation for her tardiness. But the stallion hadn’t made it this far by believing in innocent explanations.

Despite his growing sense of unease, he decided it was worth the risks that came with waiting a little longer. If the mare he’d spent months slowly but surely drawing out to meet with him was right, she could give him the proof he finally needed to blow the connection between the secret society based out of Canterlot University and the criminal syndicate down at the docks wide open.

His ears perked up as he heard the clopping of approaching hooves on cobblestone. He peeked out of the alleyway and to his great relief saw the tan earth pony mare trotting cautiously down the street, a briefcase gripped between her teeth. His eyes darted about, reflexively triple-checking everypony else he could see and making sure he hadn’t overlooked anything. He didn’t like the look of those two unicorns across the streets, chain smoking cigarettes with their trenchcoats pulled tight around them. The only details he could make out was the color of the tips of their muzzles in the cigarettes’ orange glow. And he never trusted anypony if he couldn’t see their eyes.

The mare stopped under the nearby streetlight and checked her own watch. The stallion waited five minutes, just as they discussed, and walked up to the other side of the little island of light pushing back against the evening’s gloomy darkness. He took one last glance around, and then reached over and tapped the lamppost twice, sending a pair of hollow clangs reverberating out into the street.

This was it, the moment of maximum exposure and excitement. His heart pounded as he studied every shadow, every corner, for the eyes that were surely watching from somewhere.

The mare put the briefcase down against the lamppost, and stood there for another solid minute. Then she turned and began to walk off, leaving her priceless cargo where it lay. The stallion waited until she was several steps away, then hooked a wing under the case’s handle and lifted it onto his back, feeling the weight of the papers inside shifting as he did.

A scream pierced the night air and he spun around. Down the road, the mare he had just made contact with lay in a spreading pool of her own blood, a knife driven deep into her chest. Standing over her was a figure he recognized even through the dark cloak it wore. It was the pegasus, the same blue pegasus who he’d seen that day when his wife had vanished into thin air without a trace. The pegasus turned his head and looked back at the stallion. The familiar, ugly scar that ran down one side of his face was unmistakable. Then the one-eyed pegasus leapt into the air and shot off into the starless sky.

The stallion was just about to give chase when the mare let out a raspy wheeze. Torn for a moment, the stallion hesitated. Then with a final rueful look up into the sky, he rushed over to her. The mare grabbed him, pulling him close as she desperately tried to get out just a few more words, a few more words that could mean everything. But all that emerged was a final gurgle before her eyes rolled back and her body went limp.

As the realization that this mare, like so many of his other allies over the years, was gone for good sank into his mind the stallion slammed a hoof down onto her chest in frustration. His hoof came back soaked with her blood. Why would the one-eyed pegasus be interested in the docks? Unless...

Unless everything went even deeper than he’d thought.

Picking up the briefcase that the mare had given her life to put into his hooves, the stallion rushed back to the basement apartment he called home. As he slammed the door behind him and double checked each of the three locks, he brought up the light to look upon his masterpiece.

Every flat surface, wall, and ceiling was covered with articles, newspaper clippings, and government documents that had been blacked out almost beyond recognition except for a few telling words that spoke volumes to an informed eye like his. Spiderwebbed across the room were multicolored pieces of string connecting pieces of information he’d slowly but surely pulled together from every source imaginable. Nothing criminal or suspicious about any particular piece of it, but as he pulled them together and started spotting the commonalities, a horrible picture began to emerge.

They called themselves ‘The Illuminaughty,’ though they hid themselves behind many other names as well. Their numbers, their goals, and their identities were still shrouded in mystery, but the more the stallion looked the more clearly he saw the signs of their influence pervading even the most innocuous Equestrian institutions. He feared that even Princess Celestia herself was one of their clueless, though well-meaning, puppets. Only his connections and precautions that some might have called ‘paranoid’ kept him a single step ahead of them at any given time. One day, though, one day he’d have all the pieces of the puzzle. He’d show Celestia the incontrovertible truth and she’d drag the conspirators out of the shadows and into the harsh, burning light of her sun.

But that day would not be today, or tomorrow. If he’d learned anything tonight, it was how ignorant he still was. There were wheels turning within wheels, and thanks to his friend’s sacrifice he’d stripped away another layer of their deception. The stallion popped open the briefcase and frowned at what he found there. It looked to be reams upon reams of shipping manifests. Something in them must be a vital clue, and the only way he’d find it would be to comb over it with a fine-toothed comb looking for any details that seemed out of place.

The hours flew by as he pored over the stacks of papers. Occasionally, he’d notice something that reminded him of something elsewhere in the network of clues, and he’d hover through the thicket of criss-crossed strings that were woven through the room until he found it. Then the page he’d been reading from would be added to his mural of truth along with a new piece of puce, no, aquamarine thread to bind it all even more tightly together. Every color had its own meaning, and the fractured rainbow scattering around the room in every direction spoke of how deeply the conspiracy ran.

At some point the sun came up, though the stallion didn’t notice. The tin foil spread across the windows to shield himself from prying eyes blocked out any light from the outside. As he uncovered more and more tiny pieces of the greater puzzle within the incriminating documents, a grin spread across his face. He was getting closer, and soon the Illuminaughty would fall. He didn’t doubt for a minute that their cover up would fail, and the truth would come out at last.

It was a perfect world.