• Published 14th Sep 2013
  • 7,859 Views, 500 Comments

Equestria's first warp drive - CCC



The Enterprise pays a visit to Equestria. Luna decides to go and see what this new thing in the night sky is.

  • ...
14
 500
 7,859

Assimilation, Part I

“Pog?” crackled the communicator on the bridge. “Pog? Are you there, Pog?”

A hand reached up over the side of the console; a Ferengi hand, but with a Borg implant already growing out of it.

“Pog?” asked the communicator. “Are you going to try to turn on the drive now? Because if you're not, then -”

There was a *crunch* as the hand crushed the communicator. Then there were no more words.

Only the voices in his head.

* * *

“- I can try to re-align the -” Frem stopped, and looked at the communicator in his hand. “Signal lost?” he asked. “How on – where in this ship could Pog go and lose the signal?”

* * *

“So you're Celestia's daughter?” Spike asked.

“Yep.” said Dawn, nodding. “Mommy doesn't talk about me much. I don't think I'm actually supposed to mention it.”

“Who she's never mentioned to anyone?” continued Spike.

“Some ponies know.” said Dawn. She was hoping that the idea of scandal would justify the fact that Spike had never heard of her.

“Such as her faithful student.” said Spike, flatly.

“Um...” said Dawn, frantically trying to remember anything she might have heard about Celestia's student. Her horn glowed greenish, as she tried to pry the name from Spike's brain

“The one who only helped to save the world from Nightmare Moon and save her sister Luna.” clarified Spike.

“Oh, right!” said Dawn, remembering some vague rumours, and, more importantly, picking up a name from the forefront of Spike's thoughts. “Auntie Rarity!”

Spike fell over laughing. “Do you honestly expect -”

“Spike!” called Scootaloo, leading the other Crusaders at a run around a corner in the corridor.

“Girls!” said Spike. “You're here, good. This is -” he pointed at Dawn - “apparently an alicorn who doesn't want to talk about anything.”

“Hey!” said Sweetie Belle, pointing at Dawn's flank. “You don't have a cutie mark!”

“Er... yes?” said Dawn, hoping that alicorns weren't born with the things.

“Ya oughta totally join the Cutie Mark Crusaders!” said Applebloom, grinning.

“Um...” said Dawn. She could only taste suspicion from Spike, but even so... “What's the Cutie Mark Crusaders?”

“That's -” began Sweetie, as a large, bipedal creature stepped around the corner behind them.

“We are the Borg.” it said. “You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.”

“I think we kinda should get moving.” said Spike, grabbing the nearest scroll and backing away from the drone. “This guy doesn't exactly look friendly...”

“Yeah.” agreed Scootaloo, stumbling backwards several steps ahead of Spike.

“Stop wasting your breath,” said Dawn, firing a bolt of green energy at the drone, “and just run!”

* * *

The cockatrice hissed at its selection of statues. None of them were familiar shapes, but it had been some time since it had had a proper meal...

It picked one at random, opened its toothy beak, and prepared to release just a small piece of the drone from the stony enchantment – when there was a sound from nearby.

The cockatrice turned to look, and saw four Borg drones beaming in, surrounding it. It stared at the drones, preparing its magical attack.

But these drones just had a band of blank metal where their eyes should be. With no eyes – they were blinded, but immune to the cockatrice's magic.

The cockatrice hissed in consternation, and every drone turned to face the sound. Each drone raised its right hand, and a pair of tubules shot out in the direction of the hiss; the cockatrice was able to evade them only by ducking quite suddenly, falling to the deck with a thump.

And, at the sound of the thump, all four sets of tubules bent downwards.

The cockatrice could not dodge all four sets. One stung it, leaving only a brief moment of pain.

Then it was gone, and four blind Borg drones vanished a moment later.

The cockatrice looked around the corridor. It hissed, a long, slow, confused hiss, sounding like air deflating from a tyre.

It would be at least five minutes before it started to hear the voices.

* * *

“Is it following us?” asked Sweetie Belle.

Spike glanced back. “No.” he said. “It's, uh... it's unlocked that door. It's going after Flam and Dawn!”

“A unicorn and a buffalo.” explained Applebloom. “They were helping us escape.”

“Right, well.” said Dawn. “Any help that they could have helped with will be wasted if we don't get out of here!”

“Hey!” argued Scootaloo. “We've gotta help them!”

“And the best way to help them is to get out of here and get some help!” objected Dawn. “What're four fillies and a baby dragon gonna do?”

“Uh, guys?” said Sweetie Belle, pointing at the door. “He's coming out of the room again.”

“Well, he can't have had time to do much in there.” said Spike.

“Yeah, see?” said Dawn. “Flam'll be fine. Now let's get running!”

“Whatever those things are,” said Scootaloo, “at least they're slow.”

“Can anyone see anything I can use for ink?” asked Spike. “I think I've got a lot to write about.”

“Is that really the best thing to do right now?” asked Dawn.

“If I can write it down,” replied Spike, “I can send it to Princess Celestia. She might know how to stop these things.”

Dawn thought about it a moment, stopping to fire another green bolt at the slowly pursuing drone. “Alright,” she conceded, “maybe in this situation asking her is justified. I could write with my horn, just light up the end and burn the message in, if you like...”