• Published 12th Sep 2013
  • 12,319 Views, 1,119 Comments

A Shadow Hangs Overhead - BronyWriter



What would have happened in The Secret Life of Rarity had Rarity not become a serial killer.

  • ...
40
 1,119
 12,319

The Big White Building

Rarity awoke some time later to the sound of her cell door opening. She heard something being placed on the floor, and she wiggled out of her blanket. The door closed again just as Rarity turned around to see a metal tray with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and some orange juice on it. Seeing the food made Rarity realize just how hungry she was, and she eagerly began eating the food. Her first instinct was to use her levitation skills to pick it up, but the second she tried, a sharp pain went through her horn. She clutched at her head as she remembered the nullifying ring secured to her horn. She made sure to not try something like that again.

The pain in her head faded away, and she turned her attention back to the sandwich. She picked it up with her hooves and took a bite. Even that single bite dulled the hunger pains inside of her, and she made short work of her food. The orange juice soon followed, and Rarity found herself slightly more comfortable and relaxed than she had been. The hunger wasn't completely gone, but the worst of it had subsided.

When she put her cup of orange juice back down on the tray, she noticed that a book had been placed next to it. She pulled it over to her and saw that it seemed to be a book on sewing techniques and basic styles of clothing. For the first time in a while, Rarity smiled a smile of genuine happiness. Princess Celestia had clearly made an effort to make Rarity comfortable by asking around about her interests.

Rarity moved the book over to her makeshift bed underneath the cot, and laid down on her pillow. She opened up the first page, and settled in to read it.

The book and its contents did wonders for Rarity, and she felt the terror of that day slowly fade away. It helped her forget what she had done, it helped her forget how she was treated by the captain. It even helped her forget that there was a magic blocker on her horn.

Time flew by quickly for Rarity as she engrossed herself in the book. She was delighted at the amount of sewing techniques and little tricks that she had picked up. Part of her wanted to ask Princess Celestia if she could keep the book. She didn't seem to want Rarity to feel bad at any rate.

Her immersion in the book was broken when she heard the door at the far end of the hall open. She shot to her hooves and closed the book. She considered that it was possibly Princess Celestia coming to tell her that she was going to be taken away now. Taken away forever to try to fix the bad feeling inside of her.

However, the hoofsteps coming down the hall weren't calm, reserved ones. Instead, it sounded like somepony running as fast as they could. Rarity walked over to the bars and tried her best to look down the hall. What she saw made a happy smile appear on her face.

"Mommy!"

Rarity's mother screeched to a halt in front of Rarity's cell and shoved a foreleg in between the bars. Rarity grabbed it in one of her own and nuzzled it. "Rarity, baby, are you okay?" Rarity's mother put her other foreleg through the bars and hugged her daughter.

"Nopony hurt me, Mommy." Rarity's simile fell, and she drooped her ears. "B-but I hurt them. I hurt Dug and Kicker so bad that they died."

Rarity's mother whimpered and she began stroking Rarity's mane. "You're okay, Rarity. Mommy's here; Mommy's got you. You didn't do a bad thing."

Rarity watched as her father walked up to the bars, followed by Princess Celestia. His expression was blank and his eyes were hollow, but he gave Rarity his best attempt at a smile. He reached through the bars and patted her head. "Hey, Rarity. You doing okay?"

Rarity leaned her head on one of the bars. "I don't know. Princess Celestia told me that they're going to take me to a hospital where they're going to make the bad feeling that made me do this go away."

Rarity's mother squeaked and turned her head towards Celestia, glaring at her. "You are not going to take my child away from me! Get that demeaning thing off of her horn, and let us take her home!"

Celestia shook her head sadly. "Miss Pearl, I am afraid that I cannot do that. Rarity has a magic blocker on her horn merely as a precaution, and we must take her to an institution to help her heal from what she did. She will not be harmed, I swear to you."

"You are not taking my baby away from me!" Pearl snarled. "Let me take my child home!"

"Miss Pearl, I cannot do that." Celestia quietly sighed and looked down at Rarity. "I wish I could. I wish more than anything that I could, but Rarity did a very bad thing, and there are consequences for what she did."

"I'm a murderer, Mommy," Rarity whimpered. "I d-didn't mean to kill Dug, but I did want to kill Kicker."

Pearl whimpered and hugged Rarity tighter. "Don't say things like that, Rarity. I'm sure that you didn't mean to do it at all. You're not a bad filly."

"I am, Mommy!" Tears began falling down Rarity's face again. "I killed Kicker on purpose because it felt really good to kill Dug! I w-wanted to kill Annie too, but she got away!"

"Rarity don't talk like that!" Pearl screeched. "It was an accident, Rarity! It was all just an accident!" Pearl turned her furious glare back to Celestia. "She's coming home with us right now! Don't you dare try to take my baby away!"

"Pearl, you forget yourself," said Celestia, her tone turning darker. "I swear to you on the sun I raise every day that your daughter will not be harmed. Anypony who even considers treating her poorly will have to answer to me personally." Celestia's subtle glare faded away, and she took a deep breath. "I can't imagine what this must be like for you. I have seen many ponies commit murder, but your daughter is not as evil as they were. I know that she was just scared and made a very bad choice, and that is why she will not be executed or spend the rest of her life in prison." Celestia gently put her hoof on Pearl's shoulder. "I swear to you that she will not spend the rest of her life in an institution. One day she will come home to you."

Pearl whimpered and rubbed Rarity's back. "When?" she squeaked. "When can my baby come home?"

"I cannot say," Celestia admitted. "That is for the doctors to decide. I'm sure that they will see that she is not a bad pony, so she will not spend most of her life there. I cannot say for sure when she will be released."

Rarity sniffled and wiped her eyes with her foreleg. She looked over at her father who was just staring blankly at her. He tried another attempt at a smile, but it held no warmth in it. He looked as though his brain hadn't fully processed what had all just happened. Rarity reached through the bars towards him, and he met her hoof with his own. "You're goin' to be okay, Rarity."

* * * *

A few hours later, Rarity was taken out of her cell and led to a wagon not unlike the police wagon that had brought her to the police station. It was more comfortable, though, as Princess Celestia had given her a cleaner pillow and blanket for the trip over. She had even been allowed to keep the book that had been given to her. Her parents hadn't been able to go into the wagon with her, and as such, they followed behind the cart in a taxi. Rarity was glad to see that there were no bars on the windows in the cart, and when the door was closed, she was able to stand on her hind legs to see her parents behind her. Her mother was leaning against her father's shoulder, while her father himself merely stared ahead, unblinking, at nothing in particular. Rarity flattened her ears and sat back down on the floor.

With nothing more to do, Rarity went back to her book. She could forget for a little while. She could forget that she had done a very bad thing and made her mommy and daddy very sad. They were always such happy ponies, and it was her fault that she had killed Dug and Kicker and made them sad. She could forget all of that when she read her book, if only for a little while.

The ride to the hospital came to an end just before Rarity finished the fourth section of the book. The moment the wagon stopped, the tight feeling welled up in Rarity's chest again, and she shakily got to her hooves. She walked back over to the window and stood on her hind legs to see that her parents had gotten out of the taxi. Her father attempted to give the driver some bits for the ride, but he waved them away. The driver gave her parents a sympathetic smile and said something that Rarity couldn't hear before going back into town.

As Rarity continued to watch her parents, she saw two ponies dressed in white, one stallion and one mare, the mare wearing a nurse's cap, come towards her parents. Her mother seemed very sad to see them, and she couldn't meet them in the eye. Her father exchanged a few words with them. The two nodded and walked towards the wagon. Rarity got down on her hooves just as the doors to the wagon opened. Rarity flinched back at the sight of the two ponies in white in front of her, but the duo gave her warm smiles.

"Hello," said the mare. "Your name is Rarity, isn't it?"

Rarity weakly nodded. "Yeah."

"Pretty name for a pretty filly," said the stallion. He motioned his head over to the mare. "This is Dr. Redheart, and I'm Dr. Sharp Mind. We're going to take care of you, okay? We take care of foals from all over Equestria here. We'll do our best to help you."

"Okay," Rarity squeaked. She slowly walked towards them and allowed Dr. Mind to levitate her out of the wagon.

"That's it." Dr. Mind patted her on the head. "You're going to be okay, Rarity. Nopony is going to hurt you."

Rarity looked back at her parents, who were walking towards the wagon. Rarity reached out a hoof to them, and Rarity's mother ran up to her daughter and pulled her in a crushing hug that Rarity returned.

"Please don't take her," Pearl whispered. "Sh-she's my only foal. Please don't take her away from me."

"Miss Pearl, we aren't taking her from you," Dr. Redheart assured her as she placed a hoof on her shoulder. "You will be allowed to see her every day."

"Only during visiting hours, I take it?" Pearl said bitterly.

Redheart slowly withdrew her hoof, and bit her lip. "W... well yes, but surely you understand--"

"You are taking my daughter from me. That's what I understand." Pearl's expression softened and she nuzzled her daughter. "She should be at home with us. She doesn't belong here. She's not a bad filly."

"We never said that she was," Dr. Mind insisted. "Our only aim is to help her, I promise, and if I may say so, you aren't making it any easier for us to do so."

"Don't be sad, Mommy," Rarity whispered as she nuzzled up to her mother's chest. "I-I'm sorry that I did what I did, but I don't want to make you sad because of it."

Rarity's father put a hoof on her mother's shoulder. "Pearl, she's going to be okay. She isn't going to be here for very long. They're going to just keep her here a little while until they find out that nothing is wrong with her, then she can come home."

Rarity chanced a glance at the two doctors, and as such didn't miss the look that they exchanged. Rarity flattened her ears and leaned into her mother's chest. "It'll be okay, Mommy. They'll fix me and I can come home."

"But you're not broken, Rarity!" Pearl stroked Rarity's mane. "You're a good filly."

"Miss Pearl... please don't make this harder on us." Dr. Redheart put a hoof on Rarity's shoulder. "We don't like doing this, but I'm afraid that we have to."

Pearl sat in silence, rubbing Rarity's back. Rarity felt tears drip on her shoulder, and she nuzzled her mother's chest again. It was a full two minutes before Pearl slowly nodded, and put Rarity down. "Don't hurt her," Pearl whispered. "Don't hurt her or I'll make things miserable for you."

"We won't hurt her, I swear," said Dr. Mind. "We want to help her."

"Right." Pearl stood up and allowed her husband to put his foreleg over her shoulder. "She's going to be okay, aren't you, Rarity?"

Rarity gave her mother a small smile, and the family followed the two doctors when they beckoned them onwards. They walked towards the big white building that said "Ponyville Youth Psychiatric Care" on the side. Rarity whimpered as it registered with her that this was where she would be living for quite some time. She knew that the doctors and Princess Celestia had said that she wouldn't live there for the rest of her life, but now that she was actually here, walking up the steps, she wasn't so sure that they were telling the truth.

Dr. Redheart opened the door for Rarity and her parents, and Rarity was greeted with the sight of a large white room with a desk against the far wall with glass over it, save for one small hole where the pony behind it could talk to the ponies coming in. The mare behind it was leaning back in the chair, filing her hooves, but straightened up when they approached. She pulled a manila folder towards her, and smiled down at Rarity when she approached.

"Well, you must be Rarity," said the mare.

"Yeah."

"Well, my name is Janice. I'll be taking care of you today."

Janice pushed a button and the door next to the desk buzzed and swung open. Dr. Redheart and Dr. Mind turned back to Rarity's parents with grim expressions. "I'm sorry, but you can't come back with Rarity. We have to take her into our custody now. Provided she behaves well you can start seeing her daily sometime next week, but for now..."

Pearl whimpered, and swept Rarity up into another tight hug which Rarity returned. Her father sat down next to them and wrapped his forelegs around his wife and daughter. And so the small family shared one last peaceful moment with each other. None of them said anything, for there wasn't anything that could possibly be said anymore. Rarity, for her part, didn't want a long, drawn-out goodbye. It would only make her parents sadder, which would in turn make her feel worse. It was her fault that all of this was happening, and she didn't want to make it hurt any more than it had to.

The hug came to an end, and Rarity's parents let her go. Dr. Mind beckoned Rarity onwards, and she followed him and Dr. Redheart through the door. Before it swung shut, Rarity turned her head back to her parents for one last look.

"Mommy, Daddy... I'm sorry. I love you."