• Published 7th Sep 2013
  • 16,522 Views, 1,249 Comments

Courage - scion



Evil has come to the Everfree and Ponyville. The Elements must stand against it... but they will not be alone. The mysterious blue-eyed wolf will aid-or hamper- their efforts to bring harmony back to Equestria.

  • ...
25
 1,249
 16,522

Adventures In Ponyville: Chicken Chaser

Fluttershy was taken completely by surprise. In hindsight, she should have seen it coming, or at least something like it. After all, Mr. Manitcore was by no means a domesticated cat, and even domesticated cats were not necessarily divorced from their instincts. Mr. Manticore was a predator, no matter how sweet he was by insisting on protecting her.

The first she heard was the frantic squawking of the chickens. To her animal attuned ears, they were a call for help, and she rushed outside to find out what was wrong.

She found the chicken coop door askew and Mr. Manticore with Elizabeak, helpless, between his jaws. The rest of the chickens were scattering, panicked beyond reasonable thought, flying and running away from the fearsome predator as fast as they could go. The scorpion tail swished playfully and the bat wings quivered in joy. His prey was caught, and now he would fea–

“STOP!”

For such a timid pony, Fluttershy was very loud when she wanted to be. Mr. Manticore paused as Elizabeak continued to struggle in his mouth, eying the pony who had interrupted his meal–

“NO! BAD KITTY!” Fluttershy chastised. Very loud and very intimidating. She stalked up to him without fear and without a single hint of weakness. Mr. Manticore drew back from the pony in front of him, ears flat against his skull as he raised a paw as if to ward her off.

“YOU PUT ELIZABEAK DOWN RIGHT NOW!”

The jaws of the manticore opened on their own accord. Elizabeak scrambled away, squawking her head off. Fluttershy did not let up.

“YOU WILL NOT EAT MY ANIMALS SO LONG AS YOU SHELTER UNDER MY ROOF!”

The manticore, mighty predator of the Everfree Forest, King of the Wild, cowered at the hooves of the normally-timid yellow pegasus from Ponyville. She let him cower there for a few seconds, her face carved from stone, before she decided that he had been chastised enough and her features softened.

“Mr. Manticore, you have to understand, all the animals here aren’t for you to eat or to play with. They are my friends, and it’s my duty to look after them. I know you normally hunt in the Everfree, and I know you miss that, but this isn’t the Everfree. These aren’t your hunting grounds. Every animal here and in Ponyville is not to be eaten, because we ponies promised them that we would protect them in return for their companionship, or their services. I won’t let you eat them.”

The manticore mewled something from beneath his quivering wing, daring not look at her. Fluttershy sighed.

“If you were hungry, you should have told me! As long as you want to be here, it’s my job to feed you. All you have to do is ask,” Fluttershy told him kindly. The wing stopped quivering as a single eye poked out from underneath. He hissed something to her.

Fluttershy smiled. “Well then, lets get you all fixed up with a nice trout! Is that alright?”

The manticore sprang to his feet and enthusiastically licked her mane. Fluttershy giggled.

“Well come on then!”

The manticore, fearsome predator of the jungle, trailed after the yellow pegasus like a little duckling.

He hadn’t been hard to please. A few fishes and he was happily napping in the sun. Which left Fluttershy with a problem. She needed to get her chickens back. They wouldn’t want to come back on their own though, not with Mr. Manticore still around. They knew her well, knew she would protect them, but like most animals were ruled by their instincts; Mr. Manticore was now a threat, they would not come near him willingly. Even worse, they were all gone, scattered to the four winds.

Fluttershy sighed. It was going to be a long afternoon, rounding up all her chickens. She turned around and promptly squeaked like a mouse as she came face to face with a wolf. Her wings clamped tightly to her sides and she froze in place.

Link cocked his head to the side curiously.

“uhm, you startled me,” Fluttershy whispered.

Link looked apologetic.

“No, it’s okay. I just wasn’t expecting you,” she said quietly. “A-anyways, I’m very sorry, but I have to go. All my chickens were scared off by Mr. Manticore and I have to go find them…”

Link, ears pricked, gave a small whuf.

“Y-you would? That would be, uhm, nice. Thank you,” Fluttershy told him. “Uhm, I’ll look around and wait here in case any come back…?”

Link nodded as he padded silently towards the town.

---

The town was almost in a panic. It was a strange state for most ponies in Ponyville; it was usually either full-blown panic or everything was (relatively speaking) normal.

Having a wolf the size of a mare padding down the street in broad daylight would normally have fallen under ‘full-blown panic’ and sent everypony running for cover. However, this wolf had saved a good portion of the town no more than a week ago now, freeing them from their diamond dog captors. Word had spread. And as such, most ponies gave him a wide berth, kept a sharp eye on him for any sudden moves, and straddled the line between panicked and merely stressed.

The wolf, however, paid them no mind. It seemed unusually focused on something. His nose led him behind an empty flower stall (one normally run by Daisy; however, she had decided that panicking was the better part of valor and had bravely abandoned her post). The surrounding ponies looked on curiously as the wolf disappeared behind the wooden stall.

WOOF!

Half the ponies started, ready to bolt, and a quarter of the ponies watching the scene did bolt, eyes wide with panic. Those who remained saw a squawking chicken rush out from behind the stall. The wolf was after it quickly, but did not pounce or otherwise try to catch the chicken in front of him.

The crowd watched, stunned, as the wolf proceeded to herd the chicken down the street and out of the town.

---

This continued throughout the day at various points around Ponyville. A chicken would be hiding, behind stalls, in backyards, on patios. Link would appear. He would chase them, root them out, and herd them through the streets of Ponyville, out of the town, and into Fluttershy's chicken coop. Quite expertly, it must be said, almost as though he had been herding his whole life.

Most ponies continued to be wary of him throughout the day. He paid them no mind though, simply continued rooting out chickens. At least until he came to a particular-looking establishment, one that a very pink pony lived in.

"Heeeeeyyyyy!"

Link let out a startled gasp and very nearly fell off the roof of Sugarcube Corner. He looked around quickly to find the pink pony standing next to him on the roof. How she got there, without him noticing, he didn't know.

"I've got a letter for you!"

Her hoof went into her pink, curly mane, and came out with a letter. A letter with Link's name written on it in energetic pink hoofwriting.

“It’s a party invite! I always invite every new pony in town to a surprise party when they first get here, and even though you aren’t a pony you’re smart like one and Epona likes you and she said it would be a good thing for you so I’m throwing you a “Welcome to Ponyville” party! It’ll be fun!”

With that, Pinkie Pie promptly shoved the letter into his mouth and threw herself off the roof. Link gasped and ran over to the edge just in time to see Pinkie get flung back into the air at about the same height.

“Woo hoo!” she cheered, doing a backflip. “I knew it would be a great idea to put a trampoline out back!”

Confused and slightly alarmed at her attitude, Link backed away slowly as Pinkie continued to bounce. He then decided the best thing to do would be to get back to what he was doing before. He dropped the letter at his forepaws and began stalking the chicken that was resting at the crest of the roof once again. Nopony noticed the sliver of shadow detach itself from his form and grab the invitation.

---

It was nearing nightfall now, and it looked like Link was almost done. She’d spent the time reassuring the chickens that everything was alright as Link herded them expertly into their coop, one or two at a time. There was, as a matter of fact, only one remaining.

Fluttershy watched as Link herded Elizabeak towards the farm. She did not seem to need much convincing to get into the coop, much to Fluttershy’s relief; Elizabeak was a flighty one. Still, all the chickens were back in their coop, and everything was once again back to normal.

“Thank you so much,” Fluttershy told Link. She gave him a pat on the head and got a little tail wag in response. “I’m not sure what I would have done without you.”

Fluttershy paused. She felt compelled to at least try to offer him a reward of some sort, considering he had done so much for everypony. But what could she offer him?

Fluttershy ruffled her wings nervously as she tried to think of something she could offer him. As she did, a single yellow feather fell from them onto the ground. She didn’t even notice until Link padded forward and picked it up.

“Oh… uhm… you can have that… if you want it…” Fluttershy trailed off.

Fluttershy got the impression that Link was smiling as he walked off into the twilight, a yellow feather grasped between his teeth.

Author's Note:

Here we are, the first chapter of Link's Adventures! In! Ponyville!

These will be shorter than my other chapters, sometimes significantly so. They also span a relatively long time period, with Link weaving in and out of town to go off and do other things. They also won't necessarily be on topic, or even relevant to the story in general; these are the sidequests, the minigames, the other stuff that Link can do when he isn't saving the world.

For future record, I am at a like/dislike ratio of 341/6 at time of posting and 407 favorites.