• Published 20th Feb 2012
  • 13,314 Views, 1,365 Comments

Ascended - BlackWing



2 Years after the events of Monster, 1 year after the epilogue. Sequel. Firebolt fan character.

  • ...
62
 1,365
 13,314

Try Again (8)

Try Again

The next morning, everyone felt apprehension. The mane 6 and Spike due to their previous experience with the gala which was that evening, Scootaloo because she was performing in the biggest event of the year, as was Sweetie Belle, although their performances were different, their feelings were the same. Applebloom hoped that the decorations would be good enough. Nightshade was worried about something else entirely, something he couldn't put his finger on. It was like knowing something big was about to happen, but not knowing what. It wasn't about the ceremony, it was... elsewhere. It was a feeling he just couldn't shake.


"Are you alright?" Twilight asked as they walked the streets of Canterlot.

"I'm okay. I was just thinking about home. I mean, Ponyville is my home now, but, before. I just can't shake the thoughts." Nightshade explained, not being his happy self that he had been since getting out.

"What brought them up?" She asked, playing psychologist.

"Oh, I was talking to Prince Blueblood and....."

Rarity's face turned red with rage.

"If that pompous, arrogant, little..."

"Bad experience?" He asked the fuming unicorn.

"We met at the gala 4 years ago, where he was the most ungentlecolty stallion I have ever met." She said, still angry.

"Yeah, I could see that. Celestia introduced me to a bunch of foreign representatives, and he was more than a little rude to me. We had a little chat about it and, let's just say he's not the same unicorn as he was yesterday, or 4 years ago for that matter. I plan on bringing him camping a little later this summer, introduce him to the 'real' world. I ended up telling him some of my past, and why his way of thinking was wrong, and I guess the topic just got stuck in my head." Nightshade said quietly. He wasn't exactly happy about having to go over it again, but the prince needed a wake up call.

Elsewhere

"Alright, I think we've got it this time. Yes! It's stable, okay, send them in. Don't come back until you succeed!"

Canterlot

The time of the gala quickly approached, and everyone got ready for their specific roles. Everyone had already arrived. The Wonderbolts did their show, which was quite the spectacle. Rainbow and Scootaloo introduced Nightshade to the group.

"So you're the crazy dude that taught Scoot to fly. Awesome. I heard about all that business two years ago. Glad you're back man."

"This here's Soarin, I'm Spitfire. You already know Dash and Scoot. Last time I checked, you didn't have wings. So, you planning on trying out too?" The pegasus asked.

"Nah, that's your thing, not mine. Glad to see Rainbow finally get in. It was her dream for years."

"How do you know Dash anyway?"

"He's the only one to ever outrun me, and that was before he went flight capable, AND during mating season." Rainbow said before he could answer. The rest of the Wonderbolts were pretty impressed. Even they couldn't keep up with her. The only reason it took so long for her to get in was because she had a hard time falling in line. He could probably get in easy, if he could outrun the speedy mare while she was in heat. Still, he refused. He didn't want to steal their thunder.

Once the shows were over, it was time to head into the party. Entering the foyer, the group was met by both princesses. Nightshade gave them a nod, which they returned, signalling that all was going well, before heading into the main room. Everything had already been set up, so now all that's left was to enjoy. At seeing the group enter, many ponies had a look of disgust on their faces, remembering when they had crashed the event all those years ago. It didn't last however, when they spotted the two bipedal figures, one six foot tall and the other five. They recognized the shorter one as a dragon, but didn't know what the taller one was. They were a little afraid, but this was the gala, and they had been used to seeing different species come and go. Since they were in tuxedo's, they were obviously there for the event.

Spotting Prince Blueblood on one side of the room, Nightshade waved to him. The prince looked, and suddenly had a look of dread on his face. He had seen Rarity. He had to do something about this.

"Why hello there Blueblood, nice to see you again, how are you this evening?" The group he was speaking with were a little surprised to see the tall figure speaking to the prince, foregoing formality. Many of them stuck their noses up and left.

"Why is she here? Oh, I was hoping to never have to see that mare again. It was simply dreadful." The prince stammered.

"Yeah, I found out what happened last time. Admittedly, she did go a bit far, and is normally not like that. Perhaps you should apologize? Rarity can be quite reasonable when handled correctly. First time we met, she attacked me with scissors. Something about a crime against fashion. Don't hold it against her." Nightshade's pep talk did little to Blueblood's confidence, but just enough to move him into action. He gulped, and went to talk to the mare.

"Miss Rarity?" He said weakly.

"Yes? What is i.... YOU!" She started fuming again.

"Yes, me." He hung his head in shame. At seeing this, she calmed down a little.

"What do you want." She was now annoyed instead of mad, her moods always did change rather quickly.

"I came to apologize for my behaviour the last we met. It was downright despicable. I am truly sorry. After speaking with a, good friend, I realized how I had been acting." His head still hung low.

"Well, it's not like I'm just going to forgive you with that, especially given the way you acted." She wasn't going to let him off the hook that easily.

"Yes, I know. I only hope that one day I can make it up to you. Till then, have a nice night." He said, then walked away. Nightshade walked towards Rarity, giving the prince a pat on the back as they passed.

"Did you make him do that?" She asked.

"I didn't make him do anything. It was his own choice. I just gave him the idea, and a little push in the right direction." He replied.

"You are rather good at bringing out the best in ponies, aren't you?" She complimented him.

"Yeah, but only after I endure their worst."

In the Everfree

"Where are we? Some kind of forest?" Asked a young sounding voice.

"Obviously, although most of it is unrecognizable. Most of these plant species don't exist back home." Said another, this time a little older.

"Can it maggots, we're being watched." Said a gruff voice.

"Fifteen, lean, size of a large dog. No heat signature." Said a female. "We're surrounded."

"OPEN FIRE!" Shouted the gruff one. The sounds of creaking wood and gunfire filled the forest that night.

The Gala

It was finally time for the ceremony to begin. Celestia took the stage. Everyone became quiet, and watched what unfolded.

"Thank you all for coming to this year's grand galloping gala. Tonight, we have something special planned, to recognize an outstanding member of Equestrian society. He came to us five years ago, from a very different world. Three years ago, we discovered him living within the Everfree. He had coexisted with our people for two years without anypony even knowing it. Then once found, he spent an entire year making all our lives better. Two years ago, he sacrificed himself to seal away the Nightmare. As of a week ago, he was freed from his stone prison. This is the grand galloping gala, but it is also the celebration of his return. Nightshade, please step forward." He walked up to the stage, and knelt.

"For your many achievements, and service above and beyond the call, I proudly name you, Sir Nightshade, Defender of Equestria." Celestia brought her horn to either side of his head, like it was a sword. After the ceremony was done, he stood, and was met with the thunderous sound of hooves stomping in approval, the pony version of clapping. Now was the time to give a speech.

"Thank you all. I don't have a speech planned, I do however, have a performance that I think you all will like." As he said that, the stage under the one he was on extended, giving an extra 4 feet to it. Some ponies moved the instruments on stage. Rainbow, Twilight, Firebolt, and Fluttershy got on stage and took their positions. Fluttershy seemed nervous, but he reassured her that she would do fine. Nightshade himself took the microphone.

The opening beats played. This song was actually classified as classical, but the ponies did a slightly more rock twist. Nightshade began to sing.

"We're no strangers to love,

You know the rules, and so do I.

A full commitment's what I'm, thinking of,

You wouldn't get this, from any other guy.

I, just wanna tell you how I'm feeling,

Gotta make you, understand.

Never gonna give you up,

Never gonna let you down,

Never gonna run around and, desert you

Never gonna make you cry,

Never gonna say goodbye,

Never gonna tell a lie, and hurt you.

We've known each other, for so long,

Your heart's been aching but,

You're too shy to say it.

Inside we both know what's been, going on,

We know the game and we're,

Gonna play it.

And, if you ask me how I'm feeling,

Don't tell me you're too, blind to see.

Never gonna give you up,

Never gonna let you down,

Never gonna run around and, desert you

Never gonna make you cry,

Never gonna say goodbye,

Never gonna tell a lie, and hurt you."


He sang the rest of the song, and they all thought it was beautiful. Nightshade had a private laugh, that he had just Rick Rolled the entirety of Equestrian high society at a knighting ceremony, but they were none the wiser to the inside joke. The orchestra packed up, and he had Vinyl take the stage. He had given her his iPod years before, and she had taken the time to turn many of the better songs into record form, that way they could be played for all to hear. 'Stamp on the Ground' was Pinkie's favorite, and many of the ponies liked the 'Party Rock Anthem'. Finally, the gala ended, and everyone went home, or off to bed. Nightshade and the ponies stayed in Canterlot that evening, and would head back to Ponyville first thing in the morning. Now that he was immortal, unless he used his lifespan for stamina, a habit it didn't like, he did need to sleep, so they all headed off to bed. He and Fluttershy slept the same 'wing pillow' way as usual, but he felt very uncomfortable.

Everfree

"Damnit, Jimmy's gone. What the hell. Wolves made of wood? They just kept getting back up! We shouldn't have to freaking BURN them to kill em permanently. What the hell is wrong with this world?" Said a female voice.

"No time for burying the dead major, we've got a job to do." Said the gruff one.

"Hq, this is bravo leader, LZ has been secured. One casualty do to indigenous life, we're ready for the delivery."

"Rodger bravo leader, care package is on it's way." Said a voice over a radio.

Uh oh, Military? That ain't good. Apparently, some humans have found their way to Equestria. What do they want? Only time will tell.

This chapter is called try again. Blueblood get's a second shot at a first impression with Rarity, Nightshade get's a second chance at life, and a bunch of other second chances that will be explained in another chapter.

Ps, I just Rick Rolled all of you too. U mad? Considering he's in Equestria, there are very few 'Earth songs' he could use. You know, since most have X-rated content. Besides, if you get past the fact that it's from the 80's, it's actually a good song. Given their technological standing, as well as the fact that they break out in song every three episodes, it's not out of place. So yeah, Rick Rolling in Equestria is totally legitimate. I was originally going to use Ozzy Osbourne's, 'Crazy Train', but I decided to take it a little easier.