• Published 27th Jul 2013
  • 16,909 Views, 1,266 Comments

A Changeling Queen Under the Griffon's Crown - DungeonMiner



Alan Goldenhoof, Pendragon of Equestria, finds himself caught in the middle of a civil war between the griffon Royal Family and the combined forces of Chrysalis and a rebel faction.

  • ...
50
 1,266
 16,909

4-Horrors of Youth

Chapter 4

“M-mercy...” it begged. “Me-mercy, please...”

Alan looked down at the changeling in front of him.

It shook and shivered, trying desperately to hide in its little corner. It cradled its broken leg desperately as it looked up at him with its terrified eyes.

They weren’t changeling eyes.

They were not the pale blue orbs of light that Alan remembered them to be.

Instead, they were pony eyes, with pupils and irises. Those azure eyes stared up at him, tears breaking through.

“Please!” it whimpered; its voice was that of a mare’s. “Please, This One—” And that’s as far as she got before a blade went through her throat.

Red blood, not the clear fluid of a Changeling, erupted from her throat in a shower. Soon, it was everywhere, filling the room up to his elbows in blood.

“Why?” the Changeling asked, as the blood began to rise higher. “Why did you kill me?”

Alan didn’t answer.

“Why? Why did you do it?”

No answer.

The blood rose higher.

“I surrendered!” she whimpered as the blood came up to her neck. “I gave up! I wasn’t going to hurt anyone else! I surrendered!” The blood rose higher, coming up over Alan’s mouth and nose. The Changeling craned her neck over the pool as her eyes slowly went dark, transforming into black pits of nothingness. “Why did you kill me?!”

Her head disappeared under the blood that was now slowly beginning to drown the stallion.

Kill!” a voice roared behind him.

Alan, able to move now, turned.

There, just above the surface, was a massive cloud of shadow. Two, massive, baleful green eyes glared down on him, even as the blood began to rise over his eyes.

Maim! Destroy! Decimate! Eliminate!” the voice called. “Exterminate! Execute! Erase! Slay! Slaughter! Obliterate! Immolate! Eradicate! Massacre! Death! Death! Death!

Blood filled Alan’s vision, he couldn’t see anything except for the blood of that one life.

And he was drowning in it.

Blackness began to constrict his vision, and he began to lose feeling in his limbs.

He was dying.

And then, just as his vision went black, those two eyes appeared in front of him, glaring at him from behind his own eyelids.

Murderer.

Alan sat up in bed with a start, sweat covering his body.

“Alan?” Twilight called next to him, sleepily. “Is everything alright?”

Alan let loose a ragged breath, before gulping down a mouthful of air. “I...I...”

“Was it the dream again?” she asked, sitting up.

“Y-ye-yes...” he said, shivering.

She gave her husband a small smile, before wrapping her arms around him. “It’s okay, Alan. It’s okay. It was just a dream.”

Alan shook in his wife’s grasp. Images of the changeling he had murdered flashed through his mind. “Promise me...” he said.

“Promise you what, Alan?” she asked.

“Promise me you won’t let me do that again,” he said.

“Alan I—”

“I can’t think straight when I’m like that, Twi. I can’t fully control myself. Whenever I let myself go, I can still pull myself back around, but not when I’m like that. I...I can’t...I...I need you to stop me, Twi. I need you so bad...”

Twilight smiled, before kissing his cheek gently. “Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.”

Alan took several more deep breaths. “Sorry for waking you,” he said.

“Oh, don’t worry,” Twilight said, “It’s only...3:30 AM. We have to get up in four hours, anyway.”

Alan gave a slight chuckle.

“Why won’t Luna do something about them again?” Twilight asked, groggily.

“She said some demons are meant to be faced,” Alan answered. “Honestly, I can do without this one...”

“Come on,” she said, lying back down, her hoof lazily dragging him back down to the bed. “Let’s go back to sleep.”

Alan smiled as he lay down next to his wife. He gave her a quick kiss, his nightmare pushed from his thoughts.

He had his Twi.

She would help him.

She was with him.

It was going to be okay.

<<<|Ω|>>>

Twilight sat over a book, reading intently, her eyes dancing around the page.

This could quite possibly be what she was looking for.

A few months ago, Rarity had talked to Twilight about some anti-aging spells. Asking as to why, Rarity explained that she had a few...more mature customers, as she put it, who were willing to drop a rather large number of bits for a dress that made them “look younger.”

Twilight rolled her eyes at the notion, but nonetheless began working on the project. She had been meaning to further study aging and time spells anyway.

Although she did have to wonder what made those mares think Rarity was a miracle worker.

As it was, these kinds of spell were technically Starswirl territory. Young Starswirl, but Starswirl nonetheless.

One of his first reported time spells was the rejuvenation of a plum tree using time magic, and while he refused to use such a spell on ponies, fearing what a particularly nasty one could do with eternal youth, Twilight was sure she could recreate such a spell while continuing the effects of aging. Simply put, rather than having the subject remain, say, twenty seven, every time the spell came into effect, the subject would simply be ten years younger.

Of course, this did have an issue of ten-year-olds wearing such a dress, but she highly doubted that a ten-year-old would wear such a thing.

Actually...better turn that constant into a fraction...

Also, just as a secondary precaution, she was going to add a maximum time limit to the spell of five hours. That seemed fair, as far as she was concerned, if they couldn’t get what they needed to get done in five hours, then suddenly aging .25 their age was certainly going to be a good talking point.

Alright, so one quarter of the age would be reversed, and only for as long as they kept the spell going, probably through an enchantment, or by waiting five hours. That sounded good.

Now, all she had to do was fine tune it, and she’d have a spell that she was ready to test run.

She smiled before quickly memorizing Starswirl’s notes on the subject before slamming the book shut. Young Starswirl shorthoof was so much easier to decode. This was going to be a cakewalk.

<<<|Ω|>>>

No...not a cakewalk.

This was...

Was there anything easier than a cakewalk?

Twilight smiled as she watched the pages of the little one hundred-year-old tome suddenly become brighter and easier to read. The dust on the cover seemed to evaporate, and the cracks in the poorly treated cover (not her doing, and she sucked the idiot responsible dry in library fines) erased themselves.

She may actually need to come up with a permanent version of the spell just for this one book.

She opened it, and felt the fresh, crisp paper with her hoof, and, almost guiltily took a deep breath of the air between the pages.

It even had its “new book” smell back.

Yes, she really had to look into this.

“How’s the project coming along, honey?” Alan asked as he walked past her, a pile of books held in his mana-hands.

“I think it’s ready for sentient testing.”

Alan nodded before stopping. “That’s testing on sentient creatures, right? Not testing for sentience...”

“That’s right,” Twilight replied.

“Good, glad I got that right,” he said, before a second set of hands began organizing the books. “So you’re going to be calling Spike in?”

“No,” Twilight began, “well, yes and no.”

Alan raised an eyebrow.

“Time magic is...finicky at times, and, even though this is just for a cosmetic difference, I still need to double and triple check if there aren’t any issues, while including a wide array of body types and species.”

“Ah!” Alan said in understanding. “So Spike’s going to be a part of the guinea pig crew.”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Yes, the ‘guinea pig’ crew.”

“Alright! So when is this going to go down?”

“Well, I’ll have to let the girls know, maybe even some of the guys. Actually, probably even some of the guys. Probably tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow, with everypony?”

“Yeah,” Twilight said. “That sounds right.”

“So a big thing then?” Alan asked. “Might as well get some snacks to pass around.”

“I don’t really think—”

“Twilight, when you have friends over, snacks are of the utmost importance. Just ask Pinkie; you can’t have a proper social gathering without some sort of edible incentive.”

Twilight rolled her eyes and smirked.

“Fine, but you’re doing the snack run.”

Alan dramatically raised a hoof to his head. “Oh, woe! How will I ever survive!?”

Twilight laughed.

Alan smiled, before a hand reached out to grab at her. “Sexy thing, you.”

“Mr. One Track Mind over here,” she muttered through a smile.

“You know you love it.”

Twilight rolled her eyes and smiled.

<<<|Ω|>>>

“Thank you all for coming,” Twilight said, as the five mares, four stallions, and one drake walked into the room.

“It’s no problem,” Rainbow Dash commented as she hovered in the air above the group. “I needed an excuse to get off work anyway.”

“Very responsible, Dash,” Thunderlane commented.

“Says the dude who came with me.”

“Simmer’ down, lovebirds!” Applejack cat-called.

Rainbow Dash, of course, reacted as maturely as she possibly could by blowing a raspberry.

Silver Pauldrons rolled his eyes.

Big Mac and Fluttershy stood on opposite ends of the group, both convincing themselves that it was the best way to keep the other from hearing their fluttering heart rate. He was now pretending to look interested in a few of the books, while she fake fussed over the two pet birds, Volo and Owlicious.

Soarin stood with a smile on his face as Pinkie’s upper body lay draped over his shoulders. Even though she was content to hang off his back, she still swayed back and forth, smiling. “Yay!” she called. “Science Party!”

Rarity, meanwhile, waltzed over to her friends. “Thank you so much, Twilight. I can’t believe you’ve found an answer already.”

“Oh, don’t worry about it, Rarity. It was a pleasure, really.”

Spike, double checking to make sure the ceiling was tall enough, finally stood on his hind legs. “So where’s Al?” he said, before wiping his claws on his lower legs, sending up a small cloud of dust.

“Getting some snacks for afterward,” she explained. “The best part is, since you’ll all be about nineteen, you can eat it all without it going to your hips,” she finished with a laugh.

Soarin snickered. “Please! I’m dating this pink mess over here, it’s already gone to my hips! Heck, the cake she made for me was ridiculous.”

“Soary! I was going to surprise them with that cake at a party!” Pinkie whined.

“Trust us, Pinkie,” Rainbow Dash said. “Nopony is surprised that you had a cake for us.”

“Thank you, nonetheless,” Twilight said. “Now, if I may, let’s see how this works...”

<<<|Ω|>>>

Alan was carrying three boxes of doughnuts, four dozen cookies, a jug of milk for those cookies, a couple of pies, a box of fruit with chocolate dip, and a few bags of chips. Everything ten nineteen-year-olds would want.

Smiling he walked up to the door, and yet another set of hand materialized.

He was proud to say he managed to do so many of the hard mana constructs at once. It was certainly a feat for any other unicorn.

Of course, basic telekinesis was still out of his reach.

Shaking the thought away, Alan opened the door to the library.

What he saw scared him.

Six little foals crawled around on the floor, each one somewhere on the scale of giddily playing to bawling their eyes out. All about two years old.

In the air, three baby pegasi foal flapped crazily, getting way too high for any baby to actually be.

There was also a purple-spotted egg that one one of the little fillies was rolling around.

They also looked a lot like his friends.

In the middle of it all stood Twilight.

She was frantically looking between the foals as she became very aware that Rarity might actually have a lot more magical talent than she let on as the curtains suddenly came down.

Alan blinked. “What did you do?” he said.

“I can fix this!” Twilight replied, as he grabbed at an already racing Rainbow Dash, closing the windows to keep the other pegasi from escaping.

“What did you do!?” Alan asked, shoving the food into the kitchen as yet another set of hands picked up a crying Fluttershy.

“I can fix this!” Twilight insisted, shutting the door behind him, as she frantically began burping Big Mac.

“What! Did! You! Do!?” Alan yelled, watching as a young Pinkie Pie began to vertically climb the bookshelves.

“I! Can! Fix! This!”

<<<|Ω|>>>

After four or so repeats of the previous...“conversation,” Alan quickly went through the house, locking away every single dangerous item he could think of.

From the silverware to Judgement itself, all of it was stuffed into a closet and locked.

“Alright!” Alan said, rushing back into the library’s atrium. “I think that’s all the sharp stuuuuuooh my Celestia!”

A small ball of cyan fuzz dive bombed him.

Barely catching the pegasus filly, Alan saved her from hitting the wall by inches.

“Alan!” Twilight called, floating up the egg. “Keep Spike safe! He’s way too delicate for this!”

“Where in Tartarus—” Alan began, only to have the egg shoved into him.

“I don’t care! Just away from everypony else.”

Alan looked down at the egg, and then suddenly realized that his other hand wasn’t holding anything.

“Rainbow!” He yelled at the spot where the little filly had been.

“I see her!” Twilight said.

Alan nodded. Before suddenly shrieking as his eyes saw a flash of pink.

“Pinkie!” he yelled, the hands holding the egg shooting into the bedroom.

He dived at the bookshelf that the young earth pony jumped from, barely getting between her and the floor fast enough to cushion her fall.

She hit him like a small meteor.

Whump!

Alan yelled in pain, and the young pony laughed at the stallion who made the silly noise.

“Gotcha!” Twilight called, as she grabbed the cyan pegasus in an aura. Rainbow Dash gave a slight whining sound.

“Don’t give me that!” Twilight said to the baby. “You had plenty of time to fly around, this is only fair.”

Alan was slowly recovering, and as he did so, he picked up the pink foal. “That hurt,” he said, as Pinkie appeared to contemplate her own tongue.

Alan stood, holding the foal close to him. He quickly did a head count. “Where’s Rarity?” he asked.

Twilight blinked, before quickly looked around the library herself.

A crashing sound came from the kitchen, and both unicorns instantly paled.

They both ran, barging into the kitchen door, and were slightly relieved to see that all that had happened was Rarity had pulled out a few pots.

The white filly was wrapped in the curtains she had yanked down, and was now more than content to bang away at the many pots and pans that Spike had stashed away.

Alan suddenly got an idea, and set Pinkie down next to the unicorn foal. She smiled, clapped her hooves, and began to bang away on the makeshift drum set.

“Make sure nothing falls on them,” Alan said, before blinking. “Um...where’s Dashie?”

Twilight looked over to see that the magical aura she had surrounding the pegasus was now surrounding air.

“How did she do that!?” Twilight yelled.

The question went unanswered as they both looked up to see Rainbow Dash now hovering over the library’s central table.

“Rainbow Dash! Get down here!” Twilight called.

Dash, either unable or unwilling to comprehend, ignored her.

Thunderlane began to follow, a bad example now set for the entirety of the room.

“No!” Twilight shouted as her magic reached out to grab both of them, “No! You are staying on the ground!”

And that’s when Soarin’s lower body smacked into her face.

The table suddenly shook violently, and Alan, suspecting the source, checked underneath. Sure enough, both Apple children had begun throwing their weight into the thick leg of the table.

“No bucking the table!” he yelled before dragging them both out from under it.

And suddenly the resident eagle screeched.

Both unicorns, once Soarin’s body was out of the way, looked up and saw Fluttershy slowly crawling her way up to Volo’s personal nest.

The look on the bird’s face was that of uncertainty.

“Volo! Volo, please help!”

Volo looked down at him, blinked, and then quickly headed for the exit.

“Hey!” Alan called as she opened the window and shut it behind her.

“Coward!” Alan yelled after the bird.

Fluttershy, however, now seeing that the big pretty bird was gone, began to cry.

And then Big Mac began to cry.

That set off Applejack, and Applejack set off Silver.

Now with four crying foals, the two unicorns sprang into action. Mana and mana hands all scooped up the babes as Alan and Twilight both began to do their best to comfort the crying foals.

“Hush, hush,” Twilight called frantically. “Sh! Sh!”

“What are you doing?” Alan asked.

“What do you mean?” Twilight asked.

“That’s not how you comfort a baby,” he said.

“And what does a stallion know about taking care of kids?” she asked indignantly.

Alan rolled his eyes before a second and third pair of hands snatched the babies away from her.

“Hey!” she called, angrily.

“Hold them close to your body,” Alan said, “move slowly and carefully, not too fast, not too slow.”

Twilight blinked.

“Speak softly, quietly, and calmly. A frantic shush won’t help any more than frantically yelling at them,” he said, before turning to the children. “Hush, hush, it’s okay,” he said, his voice calm and quiet.

She blinked.

He looked over at her, and in the same tone he whispered. “Rainbow’s gone again.”

Twilight looked up, and sure enough, the pegasus was gone. “Rainbow!” she said in an exasperated sigh.

As she went looking for the cyan pegasus, she couldn’t help but think. “So...he’s good with foals...really should have found that out sooner...”

<<<|Ω|>>>

“Is that all of them?” Alan asked.

“One, two, three, four...seven, eight, nine! Yup! That’s it!” Twilight responded happily, the nine foals now caught under a dome of fuschia magick.

Alan breathed a sigh of relief. “Thank Celestia,” he said as he sat down. “It’s safe, right?” he asked, referring to the magical bubble.

“Just soft enough to give,” Twilight said as she watched Rainbow Dash charge for it. She slammed into the wall, and it moved with her, much like the mach cone that she would create whenever she tried a Sonic Rainboom. And then, she shot backwards as the bubble reaffirmed it’s shape. “Hard enough not to break,” she finished.

The fluttering of wings sounded behind them. Turning, Alan saw the renegade eagle, finally returning after the half-hour of baby round up. “And so the coward returns!” Alan snarled at the sort-of pet.

Volo had the decency to duck her head at the remark.

“After all I did for you! Making sure you were taken care of while I was at war! All those little hunting trips we took! All the time I spent trying to make sure you were comfortable and free to go wherever and whenever you please, and the one time I need you, you leave me! You should be ashamed of yourself!”

The bird answered by reaching out of the window and pulling in a basket full of baby bottles and cloth diapers.

Alan looked down at the peace offering. Then he looked up and scowled at the bird. “I am still mad at you,” he said with finality as he scooped up the basket. Turning back to the bubble, he said, “It’s a good thing I got milk while I was out.”

Twilight nodded, before grabbing the jug from the pile of would-be snacks.

As the two began filling bottles their eyes frequently moving from the milk to the babies, Twilight began to speak. “So...where did you learn to take care of foals?”

“Hm? Oh. It’s uh...well, my mother used to run the daycare for the hospital. There were a few nights where she stayed over late. I picked it up just being around long enough, you know?”

Twilight nodded.

“She would have liked you,” Alan said, watching as his numerous hands began to tighten the many bottles around them. He smirked. “Actually, she would have liked you just because you were interested in me, but you know what I mean.”

Twilight nodded again, smiling. “What was she like?”

“She’s a reader, like you. Maybe not to your extent, but still.” He sighed. “She had a real heart for kids, though. I’m more than fairly certain I disappointed her a little by growing up, but nothing was really going to stop that, right?”

“She sounds like she would have loved grandfoals,” Twilight said.

“No kidding,” Alan said. “She would be all over this right now,” he said with a smirk.

They went back to work in silence.

“So why can’t we magic them back to old age?” Alan asked.

“Because I wanted to test the actual spell before enchanting the clothes, and since there isn’t any way of removing the enchantment from the spell...”

“Great,” Alan replied, as he began to gather the milk bottles. “So how long until the spell dies?”

“Four hours, twenty minutes to go.”

“Four and a half hours?!”

Twilight sent him the best “yes, that long, now stop complaining” look she could muster.

Alan sighed. “Great,” he said standing. The nine milk bottles all floated around him, and he took a deep breath. “Alright, cover me. I’m going in!”

<<<|Ω|>>>

“Thunderlane, stop hitting Big Mac!” Alan yelled from behind the barrier, which was, as he’d gladly tell you, the safer option.

To the earth pony’s credit, he didn’t really notice.

“I don’t think it matters any, Al. It’s not like he’s hurting anypony.”

“Not yet,” Alan said, “But if he gets it into his head that he can just beat on ponies without any consequences, then he’s going to turn to one of the others. It’s a bad habit to form.”

Twilight rolled her eyes, even though she knew he was probably right. “Alright, Mister Child-Psychologist. What do you suggest we do?”

Alan opened his mouth to answer, before suddenly, five of the nine foals began bawling.

The two quickly shot up. “What’s wrong with them!?” Twilight yelled.

“I don’t know!” Alan answered. “I mean, we fed them, we...”

As he trailed off they both looked at each other.

And just like that, they both knew.

“Not it!” they yelled in unison.

“No!” again, in unison. “You do it!”

Alan growled. “You take Fluttershy, Thunderlane, and Applejack, I’ll get Rainbow Dash and Pinkie!”

“Why do I get three?” Twilight asked.

“Do you want to deal with both Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash?”

Twilight looked at him. “The way you divided this is both fair and appreciated.”

Alan nodded. “That’s what I thought!”

As the unicorns grabbed their perspective foals, Twilight began to gag at the smell. No wonder they were crying.

She opened Fluttershy’s diaper first.

Sweet Celestia!

What has she been eating?

“Figlio illegittimo di Principessa di Sole!” she heard Alan swear in Bitalian. “What have you been eating, Pinkie!?”

She looked back to Fluttershy’s less-sugar-heavy post-diet, and sighed. There were worse fates.

With a few quick wipes and a generous cloud of baby powder, Fluttershy was ready for a new diaper.

“Rainbow Dash! Get back here!”

Definitely worse fates...

Applejack’s was a much cleaner mess, probably all of the apples.

She had finally moved on to Thunderlane, when a sudden crash sounded from the other room, and a naked pegasus filly flew overhead.

“I said get back here!” Alan said, chasing after her, a newly changed Pinkie bouncing behind him.

She bounced that early? No wonder she was used to it.

Finishing the colt, Twilight turned and grabbed at the escaping pegasus. Pinned by the magical aura, Alan was able to grab her and drag her down for a quick change.

The foals, now clean, were then corralled back to the magic dome playpen, where the others were happily beating on pots and pans, and in the case of one, each other.

Once they were all settled, Alan took a deep breath of relief.

And then coughed. “Why do I still smell stink?” he asked.

The answer came to them in the form of a slight squishing sound as Rarity crawled up to them, a smile on her face.

She sat down in front of them, complete with another squish, and laughed.

The irony of it was not lost on the unicorns.”I got it,” Twilight said with a sigh, before picking Rarity up through the playpen.

Alan checked the time.

Well, that killed thirty minutes...

<<<|Ω|>>>

“Alright...” Alan said, out of breath. “Is that everyone?”

Both he and Twilight were in the dome now. A half-hour ago, Alan had had the brilliant idea of tiring the foals out with a good, long session of playing.

Ten minutes in, they realized this was a horrible idea.

Nonetheless, it worked, and now, nine foals lay on the kitchen floor, asleep.

“I think so,” Twilight whispered back.

Alan sighed. “Good, let’s get them to the couch so they stay comfortable.”

“And thus, asleep,” Twilight added.

“Exactly,” he whispered.

With a soft glow from her horn, Twilight carefully lifted the sleeping babes up, and into the living room, the gentle caress of telekinesis not so much as a causing a stir amongst the foals.

Setting them gently on the couch, both husband and wife took a simple moment to bask in the silence of their house.

“All we need to do now is check up on our little troublemaker,” Twilight whispered, motioning upstairs.

Alan smiled. “You are so right, who knows what trouble he’s gotten himself into?” he said, leading the way up to the bedroom.

Twilight snickered.

Coming up to their still open door, they both looked in to see the purple egg, sitting exactly where Alan had left him.

“Aw, look at him. So well behaved!”

Twilight giggled as she carefully floated the egg downstairs. “Only two hours to go,” she said. “We should be fine.”

“Fine enough to take a nap?” Alan asked.

“Nap? I plan to sleep for the next week, thank you.”

“Not without me, you’re not!”

Twilight smiled. “Give me one second,” she said, as she brought out a quill and paper. “Got to write a letter to Rarity telling her that her customers just need some really good makeup.”

“Tell them they can take the doughnuts when they leave.”

“What about the fruit and the dip?”

“That we’ll keep. We need a reward for all of this, after all...” he said, just a hint of seduction in his voice.

Twilight smiled. “I was hoping you would say that.”

Alan nodded. “But first, hibernation!”

<<<|Ω|>>>

Two hours came and went, and at about that time, the ponies in the downstairs library began to stir.

“Oh...what just happen’d?” Applejack asked, holding a hoof to her head.

“Why am I so tired?” Rainbow asked.

“And why do I feel like I need a three-hour long bath?” Rarity wondered aloud.

It was later decided by the married couple that it was best not to tell her.

--------------------------------

There you go, guys! One Babysitting chapter.

Was it as funny as I promised?

“Meh. Could have been funnier.”

Cut me deep, there, Pinks. Cut me deep.

Alright! Well I guess I have nothing left to say to you guys but, “See you next time!”

Bye!