• Published 27th Jul 2013
  • 16,906 Views, 1,266 Comments

A Changeling Queen Under the Griffon's Crown - DungeonMiner



Alan Goldenhoof, Pendragon of Equestria, finds himself caught in the middle of a civil war between the griffon Royal Family and the combined forces of Chrysalis and a rebel faction.

  • ...
50
 1,266
 16,906

5-One More Date

Chapter 5

Julius Ironblood frowned. He stood hunched over a table cluttered with papers and documents detailing both the recent movements of the Liger Sultanate, as well as the reports of his own country.

The cities of Flompeii, Tibeak, Susaelaneum, and Featherii Novi had all gone silent. No doubt the work of the Iron Crown.

What worried him the most was Susaelaneum. That was no small town. That was a proper city, it even had a coliseum, and was known for its bloody gladiatorial fights. A tourist trap, to be sure, but it was still a city.

What power had the Iron Crown promised to give them in exchange for their loyalty?

The Sultanate, on the other claw, was also a factor. Several battalions were already moving along the border, and Julius did not need the fabled Gem of Truesight to know what was going on.

The darkness of his bedroom gave no answer to the issue, but nonetheless, he searched it for one.

Julius frowned. “Penstroke!” he called.

The palace scribe was quick to answer, and quickly entered the Prince’s chambers. “Yes, Milord?”

Julius sighed, and his eyes darted to the far corner of the room where a pure white griffon lioness lay sleeping on a couch. “Could...could you tell my Father I request his presence, and his council?”

Amadeus Penstroke sighed as he regarded the young Prince, and gave him a soft smile. “Of course, My Liege.”

As the scribe turned to leave, Julius spoke again, “Ama—Penstroke?”

“Yes?”

Julius hesitated. “Wha-what do you think?”

The aging, bespectacled scribe turned to the young Prince, a sad look on his face. “I think that you should not have to be the one to suffer through this, My Prince. But such is the way of things.” Amadeus smiled. “Just do your best, and keep the will of the people in your heart.”

Julius opened his mouth to speak again, but the scribe was already gone.

The Prince paused before looking back at the lioness.

He had been engaged to her since birth, and when he was merely fourteen, she had stolen his heart away.

Was his Empire a safe enough place for her?

<<<|Ω|>>>

Alan double checked the notes he had received.

Everything was going to plan.

This...this was going to be the ultimate in post-marital dates.

Everything was perfectly laid out, from start to finish.

He was paying hundreds of bits to numerous ponies to get this just right. She was worth it, of course, and money wasn’t really an issue…

Of course, he would literally empty his bank accounts for her. All eight hundred and ninety nine billion bits if she so much as asked.

And people say they could never keep the romance alive…

Now all he had to do was get Twilight out of the house.

Yeah…

That’s all he had to do...get the bookish librarian out of her home…which was a library.

Easy.

Easy as fighting a Deathclaw with a powerfist and an unarmed skill of fifteen.

Man, I miss video games.

Well, hopefully if Celestia pulled through on this favor, it wouldn't be too hard.

All he had to do now was hope that Celestia could do it, and not take it out of his hide once she realized that her Pendragon owed her.

Oh, who was he kidding? She would never let it go.

<<<|Ω|>>>

Twilight returned home with a smile.

She and the girls had all gone out for a pet day, and, while technically the bird was Alan’s, she gladly took the large bald eagle. Alan had said something about waiting for a package, otherwise he would have taken care of Volo himself.

As she reached out to open the door, her ears twitched, and she caught the sound of two leathery wings flapping behind her.

Looking up, she saw a very familiar dragon, a scroll in his claw. “Twilight!” Spike called. “Message from the Princess!”

He tossed the scroll down, where it was expertly caught by the librarian’s magic.

“And tell Her Majesty that she really needs a better sense of timing. Rarity is getting tired of the taste of ink.”

Twilight rolled her eyes but opened the door into the library as she stretched out the scroll.

As the two birds leapt off her back to their respective roosts, Twilight’s eyes danced across the familiar hoof writing of her teacher.

She gasped.

“Alan!” she cried. “Alan! We need to go to Canterlot now!”

<<<|Ω|>>>

Alan piloted the Victory, his own personal sky-yacht, towards the shining city of Canterlot with all speed.

Twilight paced the deck, muttering to herself as she reread the letter.

“Twilight,

I need you and Alan to come to the Palace immediately. I have an emergency.

Get here as fast as you can.

Princess Celestia.”

The urgent but incredibly vague, letter had driven Twilight to all but shove her husband into the airship, yelling at him to drive like a heist-level thief in an action movie.

“Why can’t this stupid boat fly faster!?” she yelled.

Alan bit his tongue in an attempt to keep him from telling her that it was not a ‘stupid’ boat.

It was his boat. He liked his boat.

The half-an-hour flight seemed like it took days to the mare, and she had almost walked a rut into the hardwood deck.

Alan pulled the ship into a skydock and shut off the engines. As he did so, however, Twilight was already leaping across the gap and galloping for the Palace.

She raced forward, running between the guard checkpoints with all haste. She ran with all the speed she could muster. If there was some sort of emergency, she would do everything in her power to prevent it.

<<<|Ω|>>>

“The gold, or the blue?”

Twilight blinked. “What?”

She had run past a dozen servants, pushed her way through a line of nobles, all trying to present before the Solar Court, and she even shoved the Princess’ own personal guard out of the way all for this.

For this.

“The gold, or the blue?” Celestia repeated, standing between two dresses.

Twilight’s eye twitched. “This...is an emergency?” she asked, doing her best to smother her rising rage.

“Of course,” Celestia replied, using centuries of practice to keep her face straight. “Ambassadors from the island nation of Saint AndaLucia are coming today to re-establish our olive-to-wine trade route. I have to look my best.”

Twilight’s eye twitched again. “Go with the sky blue. You tend to overuse gold.”

Celestia briefly wondered if her student was making a jab at her. “You really think the blue one will be best?”

“Yes,” Twilight all-but-seethed.

The Princess looked off into the near-distance comparatively. “Very well, thank you, Twilight. Your help was appreciated. Have a nice day.”

Twilight grumbled a response as she headed for the door, just in time for Alan to arrive.

“We’re leaving,” she muttered darkly as she walked by, leaving Alan to stand in the doorway between the Princess and his wife.

Alan looked over to the white alicorn.

She smiled and spoke. “One, triple-layer, chocolate, vanilla, and mixed cake. Doughnut and eclair toppings.”

Alan blinked, before following his wife out of the castle.

Once she was alone, Celestia broke into giggles. “Finally! The Royal bakers would never let me get away with this!”

Alan was quick to catch up with his grumbling wife, who was muttering her way back down the many stairs she had just frantically climbed.

“You okay?” Alan asked.

Twilight sighed. “I will be after I’ve sat through the endless apologies I’ll have to make.”

Alan smirked. “Well at least some of them will understand. They were there when I proposed. The others, well...they don’t really matter do they?” he said, flashing her a smile.

She looked up at him, and grinned despite herself. “You’re so bad.”

“B-b-b-bad to the bone…”

Twilight rolled her eyes, but was definitely smiling.

“Tell you what Twi,” Alan said, “I’ll handle the rich bores, and you head down to Doughnut Joe’s for some coffee and a Chocolate-Filled Breakfast Roll.”

That did sound good. Even if it was late afternoon. “That...I don’t know, I mean, I was the one being rude, I should apologize.”

“And I am your husband, so technically, we are ‘one before all ponykind’ and after all that stress you just went through over a question of fashion, I think you could use a coffee break.”

Twilight sighed. “You are not going to let me win this one, are you?”

“Nope!” Alan said.

Twilight shook her head. “Alright, alright, you win.”

Alan smiled, before giving Twilight a kiss. “Love you.”

“Love you too.”

<<<|Ω|>>>

Twilight nibbled at her fourth roll.

Now she was just starting to feel awful. How much longer did Alan need to suffer for her behavior? It just wasn’t right.

The sun had set, and the streets were slowly beginning to empty as ponies began to head home, and still Alan had not returned.

It really took the deliciousness out of these rolls.

Sort of…

Not really…

Before she could further this argument with herself, and begin the subsequent moral debate about what food should taste like in stressful and/or disheartening circumstances, a certain Pendragon slumped into the pastry shop.

“How did you manage to annoy so many ponies?” he asked, his upper body slapping against the counter.

“I’m sorry, Honey,” she said. “Here, let me get you a roll.”

“No, no don’t worry about it,” Alan said, waving her off. “Besides, it’s past dinner time, I’m really starving.”

“So, what? You want to head to a restaurant or something?”

Alan smirked. “Or something.”

<<<|Ω|>>>

Twilight’s mouth hung open wider than Sweet Apple Acres’ barn door. “How—? When—? What—?”

Alan simply waited until she could form a complete sentence.

They were standing at the door to Canterlot’s Observatory and Hub of Spatial and Aerodynamic Sciences building. And it was totally empty.

“How did you do this!?” she asked. “I-I couldn’t even get them to leave me alone for a minute when I came here! How did you get them all to leave?”

Alan smiled. “Well, I—”

“I did everything I could just to get access to their telescope; how in Celestia’s name did you get them to leave?”

Alan opened his mouth.

“I mean, I had to flat-out tell them I was Celestia’s personal student just to simply get them to open the door! What did you do!?”

“I gave them money.”

Twilight blinked.

“A lot of it.”

Twilight blinked.

“I understand they’ll be opening a new wing within the month.”

“I…” Twi began, before shaking her head. “So why did we come here when we were heading out to eat?”

Alan smiled before walking into a set of thin, metal, double doors, a sign above them reading “Observatory.”

Twilight cautiously followed.

What she saw caused her to gasp.

There, in the middle of the floor, right next to the eyepiece of the massive telescope, was a simple checkered blanket, adorned with a picnic basket, two plates and a single candlestick in the very center, lighting the middle of the room in a warm, yellow light.

Alan walked up to the telescope and peered through the eyepiece. “Very nice,” he said. “We seem to have an amazing view of the Moon tonight, and, if you look closely, you can actually see Ajax coming from around the lunar horizon.”

Twilight blinked, before slowly approaching the blanket, just as Alan made way for her.

“I’m still a little miffed that we missed it though,” Alan said.

“Missed what?” Twilight asked as she looked into the telescope.

“Well, Ajax, Curlin, Nasrullah, and Shergar were all supposed to close in on the moon tonight, kinda like it did when Nightmare Moon was released. I figured it was something cool enough to watch from a telescope.” He turned and mumbled. “Sadly, that was a half-hour ago.”

Twilight turned and kissed him deeply. “That is so sweet of you!” she said, kissing him again.

Alan smiled once the second kiss ended. “And the two of those together made this totally worth it.”

Twilight laughed, as Alan pulled out a covered bowl of pasta out of the picnic basket, as well a bottle of dandelion wine.

Pouring two glasses of wine, Alan lifted one to his wife.

And held it as she was absorbed with the telescope.

And held it.

And held it.

He cleared his throat.

“Huh? Oh!” she said, taking the glass from him.

Alan smiled and lifted his glass. “To Equestria’s most beautiful Star.”

Twilight smiled, clinking their glasses together. “Charmer,” she muttered.

<<<|Ω|>>>

Once the two unicorns finished their dinner, Alan quickly whisked her out of the observatory, and led her into the dimly lit streets of Canterlot.

“Where are we going?” Twilight asked for the third time.

For the third time, Alan answered only with a smile.

“Come on, Alan tell me!”

Alan smirked as a magick hand lead her forward. “Just trust me, Twi.”

Twilight was about to say something to the extent of she knew him too well to trust him, when they suddenly came upon a plaza.

Again, Twilight’s breath was stolen from her lungs.

The plaza practically shone in the darkness, the lone lamp posts sending shafts of warm, orange light across a massive sheet of ice.

The ice was perfectly flat, a mirror surface that reflected the night sky, broken only by the orange of the lamp post light. She blinked and could swear she saw the carefully laid mosaic underneath the ice shimmer.

“How did…” she began, before her eyes drifted over to the corners of the massive sheet, where two unicorns per corner sat nearby.

“I figured it was about time you learned how to skate,” Alan said, as a pegasus dropped some ice skates from above.

“But, I—”

Alan leaned in close to her, staring her directly in the eyes. “Trust me, it’ll be fun.”

Twilight hesitantly took her skates.

“Trust me, I’ve done this a hundred times on two legs, doing it on four is a cakewalk,” he said, slipping into his skates.

Twilight slowly followed suit.

In less than a minute’s time, Alan’s skates were on, and he quickly shot forward onto the ice. His upright stance was firm as he raced forward, leaving a barely-visible scratch in the ice as he went. He slowed as he banked in a lazy curve, and slid forward back to Twilight. A mana bar, made of Alan’s silver magick, appeared above the ice, and Alan grabbed it, stopping him from flying off onto the street. “Come on,” he said, holding out a hand of silver mana.

Twilight didn’t really like the ice. She had tried it before and had simply landed on her barrel for her trouble. But he was asking her to, he had gone to all of this trouble for it, and even had a pegasus bomb-deliver the skates so the surprise would remain just that.

She took his hand and a careful, uncertain step onto the rink.

Before she really knew it, she was being pulled forward.

The mental hand of her husband’s was gently pulling her forward on the ice, getting her up to a speed that she was not at first comfortable with. She wobbled, but the hand steadied her, keeping her on her hooves.

“I got you,” he said quietly.

Alan lifted one skate, dragging his heel along the ice to slow himself down, and the mana hand followed suit, slowing his wife until they both stood still in the middle of the rink. “Now, stay steady,” Alan said. “Keep your balance.”

Twilight tried her best.

“Relax your legs. Just stand; don’t freeze up.”

Slowly she forced herself to loosen up.

“There you go. Just focus on staying on your hooves for now,” he said.

She stood, and slowly the hand lowered her hoof down onto the ice.

“There you go,” Alan said, smiling. “Now, slowly, use your hind legs to push out, like this,” he said before his right hind leg began to move outward, forcing him forward.

Twilight did her best to do the same, and she slowly inched forward. “That’s it,” Alan smiled.

She began to pick up speed, and before long she was sliding across the ice with all of the grace of a drowning cat.

“Keep going,” Alan said, encouraging her as he almost literally skated circles around her. “Now you’re getting the hang of it,” he said, as he smiled again. A smile Twilight was more than familiar with.

“What are you planning?” she asked.

And then the music started.

“Welcome back, Winter once again,

And put on your warm fuzzy sweater,

‘Cause you’ll feel much better when…

The snowflakes fall, gently to the ground,

The temperature drops and your shivers,

Freeze all the rivers, around,

But I keep you warm.”

Alan smirked. “Care to dance?” he asked, slowly skating backwards as a set of hands began to gently pull her forward.

“If speed’s a pro, inertia must be a con,

‘Cause the cold wind blows at precise rates,

When I’ve got my ice skates on.

“If all the roads were paved with ice that didn’t thaw or crack,

I could skate from Maine to Nebraska, then on to Alaska, and back,

‘Cause you keep me warm.”

Alan suddenly broke away, skating down the plaza as fast as he could before turning back and orbiting his wife on the ice.

“Peer over the edge, ‘Can you see me?’

Rivulets flow from your eyes,

Paint runs from your mouth like a waterfall and your lungs crystallize

I’ll travel the sub-zero tundra,

I’ll brave glaciers and frozen lakes,

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg,

I’ll do whatever it takes

To change.”

Alan slowed, and with two more orbits closed the distance between them in a graceful spiral.

He kissed her.

The song quickly picked up, and Alan grabbed his wife.

“Farewell, powdery paradise!” the song belted, and Alan’s hooves quickly moved in time with the music, making them fly forward.

“We’d rather skate on the thinnest ice!”

Alan laughed, turning them to the left so the glided around the corner.

“Our fingers failed us before they froze!”

Twilight suddenly caught sight of the speakers that were playing the music, Alan’s iPod no doubt plugged into them.

“And frostbite bit down on all our toes!”

The song slowed suddenly, and Alan had them both spiral to the center.

“Snowdrifts build up and enfold us,

As we wait out this winter storm,

So we snuggle close in the darkness,

And keep each other so warm.”

As the last note echoed in the air, Alan gave his wife yet another kiss. “You skate rather well, Twilight,” he said.

Twilight smiled and rolled her eyes. “You were pulling me. All I had to do was not fall over.”

“And you did an excellent job of it.”

Suddenly a very familiar heavy bass guitar sounded.

Alan smirked again. “Did you think that we go out on a date without listening to our song at least once?”

“So why don’t you come with me?

Take a trip to the other side.

Where you, you and I, we can sing, we can fly

We can dance as the stars go by.”

As the song played, the unicorns slowly spun on the ice, dancing on what looked like a blanket of stars.

“I love you, my Precious, Little Star.”

<<<|Ω|>>>

After skating a while longer, dancing on the ice to the music of another world, they headed back downtown.

They had stopped by a little hole-in-the-wall ice cream parlor and were both enjoying their own two scoop, separate flavor cones. Alan with a cookies and cream ball and a fudge brownie scoop, and Twilight with her chocolate mint and chocolate chip cookie dough.

The two walked, her side pressed to his, down the now abandoned streets of Canterlot, most of the shops closed for the day.

“Did you set all of this up?” Twilight asked.

“What?”

“This, did you set it up? With the Princess and everything?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Alan said. Which, to Twilight, meant “yes, yes I did.”

“Did you know about the dresses?” she asked, a slight frown forming.

“If I knew anything, not that I do, and if I had set this up, not to say that I have,” Alan began, “I would theoretically have no idea what Celestia would do to get you out of the house.”

“And you couldn’t ask me?” she asked.

“And keep it a surprise? Unlikely at best.”

Twilight nodded. “I’ll give you that one. But did you really need to get the Princess involved?”

“I couldn’t think of any other reason to get you to come to Canterlot, the Princess was here, so I thought it would be the best option. I owe her a cake, by the way.”

“Oh boy,” Twilight said, sighing.

“My sentiments exactly.”

“So why did you go to all that trouble?” Twilight asked.

Alan glanced at her. “Do I need a reason to treat the world’s best, most beautiful mare?”

Twilight raised an eyebrow. “No...but when you normally treat me, it’s with smaller things, like a box of chocolate, or a bouquet of flowers. This is a little big for a spontaneous event. What are you up to?”

“Up to?” Alan said, sounding scandalized. “Are you insinuating that I have some sort of ulterior motive?”

“No,” Twilight said. “I know you're hiding something, because I know for a fact that you don’t use legalese unless you are hiding something. What’s the deal?”

Alan eyes turned up to the sky, avoiding her. He began to whistle tunelessly.

Twilight narrowed her eyes.

Alan’s eyes suddenly landed on an old clock tower. The dark hands read five minutes to midnight on the bright face. “Would you look at the time!” Alan said, loudly. “We need to get home!”

Twilight eyes narrowed more.

Alan quickly made an exit, stage left, towards the sky docks and his docked Victory.

Twilight watched him, an eyebrow raised in suspicion as she began to follow him, ice cream cone in tow.

It took only three minutes, Twilight noted, for the two of them to get back to the ship, and on board.

In fact, it looked like the ship had been prepared to leave already…

Alan quickly reversed the ship, pulling away from the dock, and freeing the Victory from its prison.

He quickly pulled the ship back, and Twilight found themselves hovering still, facing the castle gardens.

Alan smiled, before coming down to the deck. “Join me on the observation deck, if you would,” he said, ducking inside.

Twilight frowned, but now she was curious.

Grumbling, she followed him to the aft under the quarterdeck. Inside there was a door in front of her to the captain’s quarters, as well set of stairs to the lower decks on the left. Down these stairs sat the armory, guest cabins, head, galley, and of course, the observation deck.

Trotting down the stairs, she walked down the long hallway to the glass, sphere-shaped bow. There sat Alan on a ebony bench, looking out over the gardens.

“What are you up to?”

Alan smiled. “Just sit down and wait for it.”

Twilight sat next to him, her eyes scanning the horizon. The dark, night sky was empty, save for the full moon and brilliant stars. Her eyes danced across the cityscape, looking for some hint as to what she was supposed to look for.

Eventually, her patience broke. “What am I looking at?”

“When does it officially become tomorrow?” Alan asked.

Tomorrow? But tomorrow’s our—Oh he’s good.

“No.”

“Eeyup!”

“No!”

“Eeyup!”

“But it’s tomorrow!”

“And tomorrow will be here, in 3...2...1…”

The sky erupted in light as fireworks squealed into the sky, filling the world in bright flashes of color and light. Shapes, ranging anywhere from the simple starburst to giant red and pink hearts, filled the skyline, painting the roofs of Canterlot below.

And then, in a truly phenomenal display of pyrotechnics, a massive rocket shot skyward, and exploded into a massive word that spanned the sky. “Congratulations” it read in sparkling letters as another two rockets burst into flames resembling the cutie marks of the married couple.

“There is nothing I won’t do for you, Twilight,” Alan said, watching the sky as fire erupted before them. “There is no price too big.”

Another rocket exploded, displaying a massive red one in the sky.

“Happy Anniversary, my Little Star,” he said, pulling his wife into a hug and gently kissing her forehead.

“Happy Anniversary,” Twilight replied, nuzzling his chest, “my Dashing Prince.”

<<<|Ω|>>>

Lydia Snowlily arrived in Canterlot five days later.

She hardly spoke, a frown on her face even as Celestia welcomed her.

“I understand that you would rather be closer to your fiance,” Celestia said, as she led them down a corridor, past several tall windows and stoic guards, “but I will try to make it as comfortable here as I can.”

“Thank you,” she answered automatically.

Celestia glanced down at the albino griffon, and gave a slight frown. She said nothing though, merely reaching a wing down and laying it across the lioness’ back.

She looked up at the Princess, her sad eyes glistening in the sunlight.

Celestia closed her eyes and frowned. “Come, let me show you where you will be staying.”

Celestia led the griffon to a room, an opulent thing reserved for ambassadors and nobles. “I’ll have Emerald Quill come by and introduce herself. If you need anything,” the Princess said, “just let her know, and she will take care of it.”

Lydia nodded, as she set a large rectangular chest of black wood on the bed. “Thank you, Great One; your generosity is only matched by your wisdom and beauty.”

Celestia stood in the doorway as two more griffons came in and set down three more suitcases, all of them incredibly smaller than the chest Lydia had brought in.

The Princess sighed. “I’m sorry, Young One. I wish you well.”

As the griffon servants left, following the solar sister out of the room, Lydia’s eyes traced the ebony chest.

The conversation between her and her love still fresh in her mind.

“I don’t want to go!” she had said.

“Lydia, please. It’s too dangerous.”

“And so you want me to leave you here? In danger?”

“Lydia, please.”

“I won’t let you face this alone! I will stay here, and I will help!”

“Lydia…”

“I’m not going to let you send me away so you can die alone! If things go wrong, I want to be here with you!”

“Lydia!” his voice rose, silencing her. “Lydia…” he said. His voice broke, and his back bent, as though he wore a yoke. “Lydia, you are all I care about. If I lose you, then I can not trust myself to run my country. I...I need you alive more than anything. If you are alive, then I have something to fight for. Please, Lydia…”

“But...but I don’t want to lose you either…”

The Prince smile at her, before he brought a large chest between them. “I want you to take this with you,” he said. “If things go wrong, Father and I will fly there to collect these. I will see you again, Lydia. I swear.”

He swore.

He promised.

Lydia looked down on the black chest.

Tears flowed from her eyes.

She prayed he could keep a promise.

--------------------------------

One big fluff chapter, medium well?

“Ooh! Ooh! That’s me!”

Here you go, made to order.

“Thanks, Miner!”

By the way, guys, here’s the song:

“Ooh! I love this song!”

Next time, Girls’ night in, Guys’ night out, and a crazy set of shenanigans in between.

See you, guys!

“Be sure to smile today!”

Bye!