• Published 4th Jul 2013
  • 419 Views, 0 Comments

End of Peace - Rapid13



The ponies of Equestria have lived in peace for over a thousand years. Now that peace is coming to an end.

  • ...
 0
 419

Chapter 1: To Ponyville

The wind carried a brisk, icy chill as the shadow of night stretched across Equestria. The moon, full and bright, bathed the land in its soothing glow, and the stars twinkled around it, like children gathered around their mother. The city below reflected the moonlight, causing the marble castle built on the side of the mountain to gleam like a jewel. Canterlot Castle stood like a beacon, looking out over Equestria, as morning began its slow approach, the sun peeking up over the horizon, as if unsure of its course.

And the dark figure, standing on the balcony of one of the taller towers, had a clear view of the land. A dark sentinel, watching over the sleeping world. Only the furthermost provinces, like Appleoosa and Southport were out of her sight. Her coat was black as moonless midnight, her eyes like blue-green gemstones, gleaming and glittering as her gaze swept the land. Her mane and tail shimmered and swayed behind her, pieces of the night sky, blown by a breeze that wasn’t there. Her plain white dress hung loosely from her shoulders, reaching down to her knees. The icy chill of morning creeping up her bare arms and legs felt invigorating, and lent clarity to her roiling thoughts.

Princess Luna, one of the two rulers of Equestria, was restless. This era of peace her sister had brought about was… strange. Not bad, by any means, but strange. Since her return, Luna had yet to so much as hear the threat of war, or death. True, dark villains had arisen, but each time a shadow reared its head, the Elements of Harmony had stood to send it away. The artifacts, and their bearers, were powerful indeed, but Luna felt Equestria almost relied too much on the six ponies.

A thousand years ago, before Luna had given in to her own shadow, and become Nightmare Moon, the world was in turmoil. Even after her sister and herself had sealed Discord away in stone, chaos pervaded. War racked Equestria’s borders, while dark forces plotted within. The ponies of this age saw Celestia and Luna as benevolent, peaceful goddesses, and while Celestia may have gone down that road, the ages of war and strife felt like last week to the dark princess.

And maybe that was why she found herself brooding on her own thoughts. Luna was by no means a peaceful alicorn, so she felt displaced in this new era of love and prosperity. With a flick of her wrist, she pulled forth her ancient blade, Umbra. The silver-white blade was long, slender, and flexible, the pitch black hilt wrapping comfortably around her hand, like a spiderweb in its intricacy. It glowed with a soft blue light, and its familiar weight felt like the touch of an old friend to Luna. It was beautiful, but it was also an item of war. A tool of death. Still, Luna almost wished she could use it again, to feel the burning elation of battle as she defended her homeland.

But those thoughts, and the weapon she held, had no place in this new, gentle Equestria. That may well have been for the best, however. These ponies were pure, unstained by violence and bloodshed. She raised her hand, calling the light of the moon. An ornate dagger appeared in her hand. Nox, the companion to Umbra, silvery and sharp, its crossguard wide and curved, with a basket, much like Umbra’s, hugging her hand like a glove. her flowing silk dress shifted into gleaming silvery armor, a breastplate wrapping around her chest, bracers and greaves hugging her arms and legs, and sweeping pauldrons on her shoulders. Chainmail covered that which wasn’t guarded by plate. The armor was light and flexible, and, in Luna’s opinion, much more comfortable than the dress. She rolled her shoulders, and thrust the blade at an imaginary foe, while keeping the dagger close to her side. Nox leapt out, parrying a blow, as Umbra swung low to trip a flanking opponent. She rolled her dagger over the imagined sword she parried, and stuck it in her foe’s eye. She swept around, swinging her blade at a foe she imagined behind her.

And was met by the ring of steel on steel, as her blade was halted. Standing behind her was a unicorn, soft grey, like ash, clad in full plate mail, sans helm. His pitch dark mane looked like he’d styled it by facing directly into a windstorm, sticking out behind him wildly. Yellow eyes sparkled at her playfully over a wry grin, like two bright stars in the grey pallor of morning, the left marred with a long, wicked scar, tracing from his forehead to his jaw. He was holding up a large, broad blade, single edged and slightly curved like a scimitar, but bigger. Runes traveled down the blade, and a pair of upswept horns made the crossguard. It had been what stopped Luna’s own. Luna smiled lightly.

“Greeting to you, Sir Mithril.” She said, pulling her blade back. This was one of the few exceptions to her previous thoughts. The Ironhoof clan was by no means pure from violence. In fact, they lived for it. The warrior clan roamed the lands outside of Equestria, and many chose to act as her vanguard. Mithril was of those who chose to join the Royal Guard, and defend Equestria from within its own borders.

“Greetings to yourself, your highness.” He said pleasantly, lowering his blade. “Working a little rust off?” he asked, looking at her garb and her weapons. Luna arched a brow, dropping into stance, her dagger ahead, her blade ready to dart forward.

“I assure you, Sir Mithril, there’s no rust to work off.” She stated, staring him down. The unicorn smirked, clutching his own blade and stepping back as he raised it in challenge.

“Is that so, your highness? Are you sure a life of luxury hasn’t dulled your blade any?” he asked. He was provoking her, waiting for her to attack first, and she knew it. She smiled, and gave him the satisfaction. She stepped forward, her blade lashing out like a snake, only to be knocked away by a well timed parry. The warrior brought his sword around, coming at her from the right. She sidestepped, catching his blade on her dagger and turning it away, at the same time turning around the back of his sword. She flipped Umbra into an underhanded grip, stabbing out behind her. Mithril matched her, by twisting around, skirting the edge of her sword. He ducked low, he sword going high as he cut at her. She leapt away, the tip of his blade breezing past her by no more than an inch. As he completed his swing, the sword out awkwardly behind him, Luna struck, the blade darting for his exposed left side.

He turned his blade at the wrist, knocking her thrust high above his head with that twist. He jumped to his hooves, turning as he went, his sword sweeping down as he turned to face her. He brought it down, but suddenly snapped it around, changing the attack to an uppercut. Luna leapt back, landing on the railing of the balcony, before leaping forward, tucking her wings in and rolling past Mithril. She came to her hooves and turned, lunging at the small of his back. He swung his blade above his head, and behind his back, blocking the thrust as he turned to face her. He brought his sword around, carrying the same momentum from his parry and his turn into the strike. Luna ducked under and around it, the sword swiping harmlessly through her mane. She leaped back, avoiding a powerful downward swing from the warrior.

She stepped forward, just as he was recovering from the attack, and slugged him in the cheek with the hilt of her sword. She followed up with the basket of her dagger, hitting him in cleanly in the nose and causing him to stumble back. She stabbed, aiming for his throat. Before she could stop the attack and declare her victory, however, her blade was knocked away. Mithril had recovered quickly, and was going back on the offensive, swiping furiously at her, his blade darting in from the left and right, keeping Luna on the retreat. Luna ducked and weaved, avoiding the series of attacks, but she was being pushed back. She leaped back into her room, gaining some distance. He approached her slowly, his sword at the ready, rather than charging blindly.

“You’re not half bad, Princess.” He admitted, wiping a trickle of blood from his nose. Luna smirked.

“Twas we who drew first blood, Sir Mithril. Thou hast yet to touch us with thy blade.” She said, slipping back into the Royal Canterlot dialect, as was her habit. She and Mithril often had these little sparring matches. The unicorn was no stranger to battle, and he kept her on her hooves. Sometimes it was he who drew first blood… on a rare occasion. It was good exercise, and kept her from becoming complacent, like her sister. Equestria may not have had a war in many a century, but if her princesses became lazy, then they might as well send out engraved invitations saying “attack us now! Our army is weak and lazy and so are our rulers!”

Mithril held up his hands in defeat. “Alright, Princess. You win this round. I’ll get you next time though.” He said. Luna shook her head, smiling, and let the weapons evaporate into moonlight, the armor once again becoming a silken dress. She smiled lightly at the unicorn, who sheathed his sword behind his back.

“Come, Sir Mithril. We shouldst not keep our sister waiting… Knowing her, she will already be staring down a piece of cake.” The night princess said with a laugh. Mithril chuckled, taking a low bow and gesturing at the door.

“Right this way, milady.” He said, standing and opening the door for her. Luna stepped out, and Mithril fell in beside her. The pair of Lunar guards at the door saluted the princess and superior officer. Mithril and Luna trotted along the halls in silence. While not in her private chambers, she and the unicorn weren’t friends, they were guard and charge. Luna idly contemplated this as he led her to breakfast. While a guard, Mithril was part of neither the Lunar nor Solar guard. He was a knight. A separate organization of elite guards, dedicated to the protection of not the princesses, but Equestria as a whole. Knights had existed since long before Luna had been corrupted, and she sometimes wondered why her sister kept them when Equestria entered its era of peace.

In those ancient days, each knight was a truly great entity. They answered only to the princesses, and each one was said to be able to hold back an army on his lonesome. Luna knew this wasn’t entirely true, but all of them were impressive individuals. She meant no insult to Mithril, or any of the latest generation, but she doubted these knights could match up to those of the old war torn days. It wasn’t a matter of training, nor a matter of skill. It was a matter of experience. These latest knights may have had the same training, and similar skill sets, but the knights of old used their skills on an almost daily basis, often getting into skirmishes with griffons, diamond dogs, even dragons! What experience did these young knights have, in this peaceful Equestria?

A door opening called her back to reality. A pair of stark white, golden clad Solar guards had opened the doors to the dining chamber. Mithril entered first, standing at perfect attention. “Princess Luna of Equestria.” He announced, following that annoying old protocol. Luna felt it was silly to be announced to her own sister. None-the less, she stepped in, and took her seat as the solar guards shut the doors.

The princesses personal dining room was placed at one of the highest points in the castle, without being in one of the towers. The roof was open, and decorated with carved vines arching over them, forming a dome, and letting in the crisp morning air. The light of the rising sun leaked in, illuminating their feast. Across from Luna sat Equestria’s ruler for a thousand years, her sister, Princess Celestia. The alicorn princess seemed to glow as she smiled at her sister. In contrast to her sister’s dark coat, Celestia’s was white. Beyond white, even. A pure and pristine lack of color, that her multi-colored mane more than made up for. Like an aurora flowing behind her, matching her beatific smile. Rosy eyes showing nothing but love and compassion. Oddly, it made Luna think of the days of old, her mind flashing back to a battle long ago, where Celestia’s eyes burned with excitement, and battle driven fury, her face, now that of a loving mother, once the furious mask of a war leader.

Behind her stood the largest stallion Luna had seen in her life, clad in similar armor to Mithril’s, the silver gleam contrasting his dusty brown coat, and deep black mane. He was the picture of knighthood, unlike Mithril with his wild hair and bright eyes, this stallion’s mane was cropped short. Brown eyes looked dispassionately out at nothing. An enormous hammer hung at his side, a large round shield slung across his back. Luna knew the emblem of Equestria would be emblazoned upon that shield. The two knights nodded stoically in greeting, before taking their places by the entrance.

“Good morning, Lulu.” Celestia said, only the slight glint in her eye telling Luna she knew that nickname annoyed her.

“Greetings, sister.” Luna said. “How art thou this morning?” she asked.

“I am well, though I must say I’m not looking forward to court today. I have the nagging feeling Blueblood might attend. He had some complaints regarding a shop in the business district… something about his donuts taking too long.” She said, rolling her eyes. Luna scoffed.

“That prat needs to learn his place.” She said. “Back in our day, he wouldst be forced into the guard. Likely killed whilst peeling potatoes, somehow.” She muttered. Mithril couldn’t help but smirk, though nothing creased the other knight’s stoney expression. He might as well have been carved from the same marble as the castle. Celestia shook her head.

“He is… young.” She said. “And you shouldn’t talk about him like that. He, and his family are nobles, and more importantly, they are family… however distant.” Celestia noted. Blueblood was called her nephew, but only because it was easier than his full relation to her… which was many times removed, Luna was glad to know.

“Tis good to know after a thousand years, one thing still hath yet to change. “ Luna began as she poured a glass of tea. “Nobles are yet an annoying, pretentious lot.” She said, sipping the beverage. Celestia laughed lightly, as the servant entered with their meal, setting the trays down before them and revealing the food. Celestia’s face turned a bit more serious as she was served.

“Unfortunately sister, I fear I must cut short our morning joviality. We will need to call a meeting.” Celestia said. Luna blinked, sitting back and arching an eyebrow.

“A meeting of whom, pray-tell?” she asked.

“A meeting of the Knights.” Celestia said. Luna’s eyes widened , and the two armor clad ponies guarding the door exchanged a glance, Mithril’s eyes wide, and the other stallion’s face breaking its blank expression for but an instant.. “Yes. I am afraid you heard that correctly, Sirs. The meeting will commence immediately after breakfast.” She said, not looking up from her tea as she addressed the pair of knights.

“With all due respect, your highness.” The large earth pony at the door began. “Why? The Knights haven’t been gathered in well over a century. Not since the Necromancer, Invictus, invaded.” He said.

“I cannot say here, Sir Adamant. But I will say that this is a matter of international security.” She said. Luna knitted her brow. She hadn’t been informed of any such problems… but then, she was still a bit out of the loop. Still, it would be nice if her sister would inform her of such matters. As she started on her food, Luna’s mind raced at what the problem could be. Conspiracy? Espionage? An escaped convict? There were many possibilities.

And one little part of her mind, the part of her that held just a little bit of Nightmare Moon, thought one word almost gleefully, and was immediately silenced.

War.

~~*~~*~~

Under Canterlot, built deep into the mountain the castle and city were built upon, was a large complex, seldom used. It was here that the Princess kept dangerous artifacts, and the bodies of honored heroes. The tunnels were complex and confusing, but if one knew the path, they would lead to a large circle, built at the peak of the mountain, above the clouds. Stone pillars supported a stone roof, under which sat a large table, with the symbol of Equestria emblazoned upon it. Since days long passed, this had been the meeting place of Equestria’s defenders. Her knights.

On either side of the table sat a throne. One for Celestia, and one for Luna. Around them were twelve chairs, filled by ponies of various species, build, and color. Some of those gathered were names known all across Equestria, and to the outlying lands, such as Shining Armor, former captain of the royal guard, now king of the Crystal Empire. Others were names no one besides the other knights had known, or ever would know. Mithril could name his comrades by heart, but a few would rather even he not know their names. All of them, however, looked at Celestia intently. It was one pegasus, clad in all black leather, his face covered with a blank mask without so much as clear eyeholes, who spoke first.

“What have you called us for, your highness?” he asked. Mithril had never seen his face, but he’d dealt with Flicker before. The Pegasus had an insatiable lust for knowledge of all kinds. It was no surprise that he was the best infiltrator Equestria had. He was also quick witted and sharp tongued, though sharper by far were his infamous blades, Regret and Despair. Mithril had fought the crafty rogue once… and only once. He was glad to leave the possibility of a round two in the past

“A matter of great import.” Celestia answered. “I trust all of you have heard of the Ventral Empire?” she asked. There was a soft murmur of conversation. Indeed they had. The Ventral Empire was a large, powerful kingdom, past the Everfree forest. They were aggressive, and well known to be a bit harsh with their laws, but they had never threatened Equestria before. “A criminal from their Empire has escaped to Equestria. According to reports, they attacked a member of the royal family, and stole a valuable suit of armor. The Empire has sent a message. Either we capture this criminal... or they invade, and do the job themselves.” She said. An old, many-scarred stallion, his mane long faded into grey, slammed his hoof on the table.

“What right have they to threaten this?” Stone Shaper growled. He was certainly a threatening sight himself, clad in silver mail, with half his face burned into a twisted, misshapen mess. His coat, once as gold as a bit coin, had faded more into tarnished yellow. His one remaining green eye burned with barely contained fury. The old warrior was loyal to Equestria… completely loyal. And he’d fight you eagerly to prove it. “Equestria has shown the Empire nothing but kindness, even when they began encroaching on our boarders, and yet they threaten invasion?!” he asked incredulously. There was a soft murmur of agreement between the Knights.

“Yes, Stone, I agree. But we cannot retaliate with hostility ourselves. With the Empire’s attitude, any sign of hostility will be taken as a declaration of war.” Said a younger unicorn, Midnight blue, and clad in long gold trimmed robes. His purple eyes showed from under a carefully trimmed silver mane, and showed wisdom far beyond his years. He was by far the youngest knight at the table.

“What Silent Night says is correct.” Celestia said. “While I do not appreciate their threat, I do not want a war. I want this criminal found. The last reports we have received indicate that the thief is heading towards Ponyville. Sir Mithril, it is my understanding that you have an estate near there?” she asked. He nodded.

“Yes, it was my old mentor’s home.” He said. “It’s about halfway between the forest and the town.”

“Excellent. You will be sent there to watch for the thief. As far as the records go, you will be on paid vacation. You are not to inform anyone of this mission, not even Twilight Sparkle.” The princess said.

“With all due respect, your highness, I’d like you to place me on this mission.” Shining Armor said. “If there’s a dangerous criminal on the loose there, my sister might be in danger.”

“I understand your concern, Shining Armor, but Twilight has been in much more dangerous situations before, and Mithril is one of the few of you who’s presence would not be questioned. Besides, I have another mission for the rest of you.” She said. “We need Equestria’s borders secured. If this criminal escapes into another county, we’re going to have a problem on our hands. We cannot allow that to happen.” She said. “Sir Adamant, Sir Night, you two will stay here, in Canterlot, in case they try to hide out here. The rest of you will spread out to border towns. Keep an eye out, and communicate if there’s any sign of the thief.” She ordered. “You are all dismissed.” She said. The Knights stood, and began to disperse. “Sir Mithril, a moment please.” Celestia said. Mithril stopped, and turned to face her. “There is something not right with this situation. I want you to be extremely vigilant, and to use your own judgment. There is more to this than the Empire has told us.” The princess said. Mithril nodded, snapping a salute.

“Yes ma’am. I won’t let anything get past me.” He said, trotting off into the tunnels, heading for his quarters to pack his things. He would leave in the morning, catching the first train to Ponyville. He felt a hand grab his shoulder, and turned to look at Shining Armor, blue eyes looking sternly into his.

“Mithril.” He began. “You and I have fought together before. There aren’t many other ponies I can say I’d entrust my back to… but I swear to Celestia-“ Mithril cut the other unicorn off by slapping a hand onto his shoulder.

“I know, Shining. Don’t worry. I’ll look out for Twilight. I’ll protect her like she was my own.” He said. “Nothing will happen to her. You have my word.” He said. The two stared at each other for a long while, before they clasped hands.

“Good, cause if she does get hurt, I’m going to feed you your own horn.” Shining Armor said, smiling though his eyes still showed concern. With that, the two parted ways. Mithril headed straight for his quarters. It had been a long time since he’d been home. Even if it was for work, he was looking forward to seeing Ponyville again. He was looking forward to having a cupcake from Sugarcube Corner again. Just because he was on the hunt for a potentially dangerous Imperial criminal, didn’t mean he couldn’t enjoy himself… at least a little bit.

~~*~~*~~

Shadow Dawn galloped through the thick underbrush, cursing her bad luck. As black as her name implied, mane and coat both, and she had still been spotted by an Imperial patrol… though the heavy, much augmented armor likely hadn’t helped at all with that. Every piece of the crystalline white armor was designed to enhance the wearers speed and strength, but clearly the architect hadn’t thought of stealth.

She cursed herself then. She had to go for the fanciest armor. She couldn’t possibly have stolen a suit of scout armor, a suit that wouldn’t be missed, and could help her sneak. Nope. She had to steal a priceless Imperial treasure, the first suit of artificed armor, forged after the mysterious magical plague that killed the magic in the Empire.

“Way to go Dawn. What’s your next trick? Falling into a ho-oh fuck me!” She screeched, her berating of herself interrupted by a deep hole, just beyond the bush she had crashed through. She groaned, sitting up and looking up at the mouth of the pit, covered by the leaves of the bush. She idly wondered what she had fallen into. A pit trap set by the Empire, or maybe the den of a manticore?

She’d prefer the manticore.

“Fillies and Gentlecolts, the fabulous Shadow Dawn.” She muttered pulling the helmet off as she considered her options, letting her red streaked black mane fall over her armored shoulders, her violet eyes narrowing at the lip of the hole. She was a Pegasus, she could have flown out easily, but dare she hope…

“This way!” A stallion called. Dawn shrunk into the hole at the sound of the scout’s voice. “I saw her go this way! Get the archers over here! Maybe we can catch her before she crosses the border!” he called. Dawn sucked in a breath as she heard hooves thundering off… away from her hole. She released her breath, as the patrol galloped off into the distance.

The scout had mentioned the border. She was close. Once she was in Equestria, she could make her way south, to the ocean. From there she could catch a ship to distant lands. Maybe Zevara. Or she could loop around, and hide up north, past the mountains into Stalliongrad. It was worth a shot if she could escape the grasp of the Empress. This wasn’t even about the armor. She’d just taken that to spite the “bitch queen” as the citizens very quietly called her. Ventra was cruel, merciless, and twisted… and her every word was law. She was mad, Dawn was sure, but not mad enough to start a war with Equestria, with its two living, breathing goddesses, Celestia and Luna. Not to mention Equestria’s larger population, abundance of powerful unicorns, and the Elements of Harmony. Ventra was mad… she wasn’t a fool.

Dawn counted to ten, just to be sure the patrol was gone, before she peeked her head up over the lip of the hole, her wings bringing her to the top. No one, she was alone. She crawled out, and looked the rising sun, her infallible compass, and itself a symbol of freedom to the downtrodden mare. She just had to keep moving towards the rising sun. Heading towards the light of Equestria. She began her gallop again, crashing through brush, this time watching carefully for pits, her breathing even and controlled as she ran.

Right into an ambush. Typical.

A form leapt at her from the treetops. She barely reacted in time to avoid getting clubbed over the head by his shock stick, a powerful and painful non-lethal weapon. A simple metal rod with an alchemical electrical device, it caused muscles to tense and spasm uncontrollably, in the most painful ways possible. It was used for many things, torture and slave control being foremost among them. The stick wouldn’t hurt her, but her armor would carry that devastating electric charge to her entire body.

The lightly armored Pegasus hit the ground in a short, controlled roll, leaping back to his hooves, and stabbing out at her with the club. Dawn stepped to the side, and clenched her fist, activating one of the armor’s many devices, a short sword sprung from her bracer. She stabbed out at her attacker, who brought his weapon around, knocking her arm far out to the side.

Dawn screamed in agony, stumbling back as that brief contact invaded her armor, and violated her muscles. The shock lasted only for a second, but that was enough. She couldn’t even parry that devilish device! The Pegasus grinned maliciously at her from beneath his helmet, rolling the shock stick in tight circles as he approached her. He stabbed out again, but it was too short. Dawn saw the feint for what it was. She side-stepped, like she’d done the last time, but when he revealed his trick, and swiped at her, she ducked beneath his weapon, causing him to open his right side to her.

She took the invitation, her sword punching through her opponent’s lesser armor, and driving deep into his side, between his ribs. She could tell from the pained gurgle he emitted, she’d punctured a lung. Possibly both, gods forbid. She tore her sword free from the dying colt, and charged ahead, but her skirmish had clearly made noise, as three more jumped from the brush, two armed and armored similar to her last assailant, but she wasn’t worried about them.

She was worried about the heavily armored Imperial Enforcer, swinging around a Hellchain. Enforcers were few in number. Handpicked by the Empress herself from the common ranks for their exceptional cruelty. They were typically assigned to training the troops, disciplining the slaves, or capturing runaways… and whatever they did outside of or during those assignments was their business. It wasn’t rare to see a runaway slave returned, barely recognizable after the attentions of their captor.

The Hellchain especially worried her. Mechanically, it wasn’t very impressive. A shock stick, mounted on a long chain. What made it terrifying was the barbs and spikes that covered the length of both club and chain. Swung hard enough, those spikes would punch right through her armor to bite at her flesh.

She wondered what the enforcer would do if he managed to get her free from the armor. It didn’t take much imagination to figure it out, from the way he was licking his lips.

The two shock troops charged, coming in at her from opposite directions. If they were mere swordsmen, she could cut them down in an instant, but those weren’t swords. She leapt, using her wings to propel her up at the last second. The two swinging shock sticks connected, and crackled against each other. The fighters tried to pull them away, but it was too late. The shock sticks alchemical components had been compromised. They exploded in a flash of sparking electricity, the two pegasi screaming much louder than Dawn thought possible as the electricity caused muscles to clench and spasm and tear. Those two would be down for days… if their organs weren’t smashed into hamburger by their own writhing anatomy.

Dawn spotted movement ahead of her, and looked up just in time to see the tip of the Hellchain rushing in at her. She cursed, and folded her wings, dropping to the ground between the two twitching ponies. She ran forward as the enforcer pulled back his chain, swung it in a brief arc, and snapped it back at her. She leaped to the side, tucking into a roll, but stopped and laid flat on the ground as the stallion swung the weapon out of its flight, in her direction. She watched him bring it full circle, than swing it high and tight, whipping it at her. She rolled out of the way at the last second, watching as it smashed harmlessly into the dirt. She jumped to her hooves as he pulled his weapon back.

She circled him slowly, watching carefully as he swung his weapon in slow, lazy circles. He suddenly snapped his arm forward, the chain following his lead, and that vicious head launching her direction. She ducked around a tree trunk, and had to leap away as the chain wrapped around it, the flail smashing into the bark where her head had been.

“Right. Chain.” She muttered. Than her eyes widened, and a grin came over her face as an idea came to her. It was a daring tactic, and if it failed, she was screwed… probably in a very literal sense. She stepped out around the tree, a fair distance away from the heavily clad Enforcer. “What’s wrong, big guy? Performance issues?” she asked, taunting him, setting a hand on her hip, and cocking it to the side, trying to look as “bratty” as was possible in armor… and at the same time, activating one the suit’s many devices. “I hear one in every five guys has it. I wouldn’t know, of course. Never been with a man.” She said. The temptation of fresh meat looked to be too much for the crazed stallion, and he swung his chain rapidly, launching it like a spear towards Dawn.

She charged, the mechanisms in her armor activating, and doubling her speed easily. The Enforcer looked shocked, and tried to bring back his chain, but Dawn was ready for him. She skidded to a halt, planting her hooves, and grabbing the chain with her trailing hand. She dug in, and with all of her mechanically enhanced strength, swung the head of the chain around herself, using her body as a fulcrum.

The colt could only watch helplessly as the heavy, spiked head flew at his armored face. One of those cruel spikes stabbed clean through the metal, into the stallion’s forehead.

Oh how he screamed!

He fell to the ground, thrashing and kicking and screaming, as blood poured from his eyes and mouth and nose, the electricity breaking blood vessels, and causing multiple aneurisms, all at once. Frying what few brains the cruel stallion had to begin with.

There was something deliciously poetic about an Enforcer getting whipped by his own chain, but Dawn didn’t have much time for poetry. All that screaming would doubtless attract the attention of more patrols. She ran on, the sword snapping into place back in its bracer. She heard the sounds of pursuit behind her, and shrill whistles from above, but still she ran on, her charge speeded by her armor. The sounds of pursuing parties stopped, and soon halted altogether, so finally, she stopped as well, slowing her pace to a brisk walk. After an hour, she finally got the courage to fly up, and inspect the treetops.

Far behind her, were little specks in the distance, like flies buzzing around a rotted fruit.

And ahead of her, no more than an hour’s flight was a small settlement. It had to be Ponyville. She had crossed the border.

She was in Equestria.

She shouted and cheered, congratulating herself for her escape, but she wasn’t out of the woods yet… literally. Even Imperials knew the Everfree Forest was a dangerous place, filled with all manner of wild and untamable monsters. But never-the-less, she had done it.

Shadow Dawn had escaped the Empire.

~~*~~*~~

Steam hissed, like a thousand angry snakes, and metal crashed together, like thunderclaps. Gears ground against each other, like the rumble of an earth elemental. The device was huge and complex, and it filled the dark throne room. A whisp thin stallion, dressed in ill-fitting blue robes cowered in front of it, trembling so hard it seemed he would fall apart at any second. He was clearly the worrisome type, his swiftly graying mane missing in chunks where he had torn it out from stress, his dull red coat showing patches of dry skin, all this, though he was barely into his twenty fifth year.

And Scribe had every reason to be worrisome. He was the Empress’s personal errand boy. It was his job to deliver news to his glorious leader, and if it was good news, he was rewarded in ways many Imperials would doubtless kill for.

But when the news was bad, gods help him. Unfortunately, today’s news was very, very bad.

“Y-y-your hi-highness…” he stuttered. The machine let out a particularly loud his at that moment, bringing a yelp from the colt.

“Spit it out, you worthless peon. I haven’t all day for your nonsense.” A voice said from the shadows below the machine. If the steam sounded like a thousand angry snakes, the Empress’s voice was like the hiss of an adder, ready to strike. Deathly quiet, and raspy, though with a rumble to it that seemed to come from every direction.

“W-we have j-just received reports that… that Shadow Dawn has c-crossed the border.” He whimpered, shrinking back, like a whipped dog fearing punishment.

“I see… it matters not. We have sent our message to Equestria. If they do not capture her, they will be destroyed.” She said.

“Y-your gloriousness! You mean to provoke a war with Equestria?! They will-“

“SILENCE!” she roared, and the machine responded with a hiss and rumble, as if the whole apparatus was reacting to her fury. “You dare to question me?!” she asked incredulously. “Equestria will bring me Shadow Dawn, and that armor, or they will be nothing more than dust beneath my hooves.” She snarled. Scribe shrunk back further. “You dared question my judgment. This insolence cannot go unpunished… you will report to the Enforcers. You are dismissed.” No trial, no further clarification. The empress was furious with him, and her word was law.

“B-but your highness, I-“

“YOU ARE DISMISSED!” she roared. Scribe turned and scampered out as fast as his thin legs would carry him. The Enforcers would inflict great pain on him, but it was nothing compared to what the Empress could… and would do.

“I honestly don’t know why you keep him around.” A voice said from above the machine, as the door slammed shut. A Pegasus swooped down, landing lightly, and staring impetuously at the door. The Empress sighed heavily.

“He has his… uses.” The Empress insisted.

“I’m sure he does. Everyone has needs I suppose.” The stallion said. Only one pony would dare speak so disrespectfully to her, the only true living goddess. High Riser was the best assassin in the Empire. Maybe in all the world. He knew it, and he flaunted it. His mottled grey and black coat was natural camouflage, causing him to fade into the shadows at a moment’s notice. Green eyes glowed from under his black mane, wicked green orbs peeking from behind a curtain of shadow, and oh, he was wicked. Wonderfully so. It was the only reason the Empress suffered him. Even her Enforcers were horrified by the things this stallion did. “So, you called me here for a reason. What is it? I was… busy.” He said, examining his nails idly.

“You heard Scribe’s news, did you not?” the Empress asked.

“Ah. This Shadow Dawn character. Right, so you want me to put a knife in her.” He said casually.

“Shadow Dawn is not to be harmed. Nor is the armor she wears.” The Empress demanded. High Riser turned, furrowing his brow.

“Mercy? From the dreaded Empress Ventra? Who exactly is this mare?” he asked.

“That is not your business. Your business is to bring her back to me… whole, and unmolested.” The Empress demanded.

“Really? Not even a little molestation?” he asked.

“You tread a dangerous line, assassin. You are a fool if you think I’ll hesitate to obliterate you, no matter your considerable prowess.” The Empress growled.

“Woah. Someone’s on the rag.” He said, cocking a brow. “My expertise isn’t exactly ‘whole and unmolested,’ your highness. It’s more, ‘important bits mostly intact and thoroughly violated.’ It’ll cost you extra. Say… twice my normal rate .”

“Your normal pay, plus a third.”

“Mmmm, no, no can do. Pay and three quarters.”

“Pay and a half. That is my final offer.”

“How does-“

“Final. Offer.” She said, her tone leaving no room for argument. High Riser sighed.

“Fine.” He relented. “You drive a hard bargain, Empress. I’ll bring back the bitch. Not a scratch on her.”

“Good… and High Riser… if there is so much as a scratch on the mare or her armor, the only thing you’ll receive is the end of a Hellchain.” The Empress said. High Riser looked back at her and grinned.

“Your highness, have I ever failed you?” he asked.

“Do you still draw breath?” the Empress asked, as if the answer should be obvious, and indeed it was. High Riser grinned, and trotted out of the great, dark throne room. He stepped out onto a balcony, and spread his wings, leaping into the air, and flying fast for Equestria.

“Why are you so special, Shadow Dawn?” he asked himself as the wind roared in his ears. “What game did I just become a pawn in?” he wondered aloud. Whatever game it was… it was sure to be fun. Fun… and profitable.

~~*~~*~~

Flicker landed atop a nondescript house in Ponyville. He was supposed to stay, and watch out for Mithril, and the Elements, and learn all he could about this “Shadow Dawn.” He pulled off his mask, and sighed, rubbing a hand over his tired face. He replaced his mask, and looked out at the town, a silent guardian. His hand strayed to his hip, and the hilt of his long, wicked sword, Despair.

He leapt down to the road, and moved swiftly through the still sleeping town. Though the sun was visible in its entirety, most of the town slept silently. Only the farmers and shopkeepers were active at this early hour. Flicker made full use of it, creeping through alleys, taking little used back roads. He knew the town well. He lived here, after all. Finally he reached his destination. A small, burnt out shack on the outskirts of town. He could have flown straight there, but he didn’t want this place found. The shack was surrounded by trees, and grass, the trees closest burned out as well. The pony approached the trunk of one tree, and knocked it in three places, releasing the false panel. He climbed into the hollow trunk, and replaced the panel, climbing down the ladder.

As soon as he hit the ground, runes flashed around him. The runes were keyed to him, and him only. If anyone else found their way in, they’d be hit by any number of traps he’d set. They wouldn’t die… but Flicker would find them paralyzed, and worse for wear. He could handle that though. He had experience. He trotted into the safe house, and it lit up as he went. There were four rooms. A room with row upon row of different weapons, all of which he knew how to use. A room with jars and cases, and all manner of other containers, filled with herbs, and roots, and mushrooms, and other ingredients for his potent poisons. The third was a simple, sparse bedroom. The main room, the one he had just entered, held only a desk and a chair, littered with papers and pictures. He sat at the desk, digging through the organized chaos until he found what he was looking for. Pictures of the Empire, taken from the air.

It had been quite the feat getting those pictures, seeing as the majority of Imperials were pegasi, but he’d done it. Much more impressive were the papers stapled to every photo, detailing the locations, their significance, and their defenses. He dug through reports, looking for every little thing he had on the Empire. It sadly wasn’t much. What he did have was reports of the Empress’s obvious cruelty. Her, and her army, were evil. That was the only word for it. Why Equestria hadn’t wiped them out yet, Flicker would never know. Probably something to do with Celestia’s eternal hope for ponykind. He scoffed at the notion, shaking his head at the absurdity of it. If ponies were truly good at heart, he wouldn’t exist. He turned his thoughts away from the past, and towards the future… which didn’t look particularly bright either.

“An ill wind is blowing…” he muttered. Something was coming, and Ponyville was already caught in the crossfire.

But this was his town, and he’d cut off his own wings before he let the Empire take his home.

Too much had been taken from him already.

Author's Note:

So, yeah. This is polished and completed chapter one. I noticed not many p[eople liked it.... but I don't care, I'm continuing this anyway. Chapter two shouldn't take too much longer.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment