• Published 29th Jun 2013
  • 2,501 Views, 317 Comments

The Formative Years - Lonepone

  • ...
16
 317
 2,501

Her story

"I'm off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz!" She shouts in a singsong voice.

"Vinyl, there's something I want to ask you" I say.

She looks at me. As always, I'm enchanted by the hue and color of her eyes. "Yeah, Octavia?"

"Well, what was it like to grow up knowing you where..." I pause, looking for he right word so I don't hurt her feelings.

"A halfbreed. No need to mince it" she sighs, and reclines on the couch. I sit down on the other end. Watching her. The way her blue hair falls, almost but not quiet covering her left eye. The long, thin scar on the inside of her right for hoof she's been trying to hide ever since I might her.

She starts her narrative with what her mother looked like while in pony form. Long, straight blue hair. Simple, brown body. Straight blue tail. A bag of bits for a cutie mark.

Her mother spent a year living with her and her dad. Her father found out what she was shortly after giving birth to her. He was okay with it for the most part, as she had broken the grip The Hive had on most changelings. In that one year, however, the royal guards began to crack down on Changelings residing in Equestria. Equestria for the Equestrians was the motto.

She lived in the south side of Apploosa when this 'purge', as she called it, happened. The Griffins had it the worst. 'Griffers' as they were called. She was playing outside when the neighbors, a family of respectable Griffons, were deported. The child ran back inside the house to grab a favorite toy, something completely innocent. One of the guards killed him on the spot, claiming the child rushed him. Her mother tried to defend the child. In her anger, she forgot to stay in her pony form. She was immediately locked up. No trail.

After that her and her dad left. They bounced around different towns, looking for a new home, staying no more then a year at each place.

She tells me of her year on Ponyville. It was the worst for her. She was in her junior year of high school. She got through half of the year, managing to conceal her dirty little secret. She even managed to make a friend. Then, someone found out, and it spread like wildfire. She couldn't walk down the halls without insults being hurled at her like rocks. Her one friend, who she trusted, abandoned her. Instead of submitting to depression, which consumed her briefly, she turned to music. More specifically, the drums, which is how she got her cutie mark.

Weeks passed. She managed to hold up under the pressure. She came home one day to find her dad packing up. A blue and red Pegasus had managed to threaten her father into leaving. And then they had moved to Manehatten. And she's been there since.

She finishes her story. Ever since I met her, I was awed by her looks, knowing I could never compete with that. But know its the strength she shows that surprises me. I use to think she had it all perfect.

I look at her. Her chin is on her chest, eyes closed. Her breathing is slow and rhythmic. She almost appears to be asleep. "Vin-" my voice cracks from not saying anything recently, and from nerves. I clear my throat, and try again. "Vinyl?"

"Yeah?" She says, not even opening her eyes.

"I misjudged you. I thought you had everything perfect, but I see that's not how it is. I'm sorry"

"No prob. Just don't do it again, or I might have to punish you, eh?" She says suggestively.

My mind screams 'yes, please teach me a lesson!'. What comes out, however, is "Really, Vinyl? I thought we were having a great bonding moment, but you go and ruin it"

She just shrugs. "Just sayin. The offers there. Anyways, I should probably head to class. See ya"

I almost reach out to stop her, to take her offer, but I don't. What would my parents think? What would I think? I've never felt this way about a mare before.

I wait until she's out the door, then take a can if her pop from the fridge. I've never tried one of these before. I crack open the top, and take a tentitive sip. I love it. I drain the entire can, and open another. I skip class all that day, drinking her pop and playing her games.

Author's Note:

It feels weird writing as Octavia, I feel as if this is really low quality compared to the other chapters.