• Published 29th Jun 2013
  • 2,502 Views, 317 Comments

The Formative Years - Lonepone

  • ...
16
 317
 2,502

Retaliate

I grind through my classes like a machine. I go through the motions, not putting in any thought in anything. I finish third block, and feel utterly drained. I pull myself to my dorm, and find Octavia waiting for me.

She sees how I look. “You all right?”

“Why would you care?” I ask with an edge.

“Sorry” She goes on the defensive. “You just looked... Beaten. You look beaten Vinyl”

“Great. I’ve been looking like crap a lot recently, and you’ve noticed”

“I’m sorry, Vinyl. Are you ready to go?”

I sigh. “Yeah” I’m normally energetic. But now, I have to dredge up the energy I need from the bottom of my soul.

I try to grab a Mountain Dew from the fridge. My magic, weak and gray, grips the door.

‘So weak you can’t even open a door. How shameful. If your mother could see you know’ The Voice says.

I grit my teeth. ‘Not now. Not. Bucking. NOW’ I shout to myself mentally. I clench my eyes, and focus. I feel the door in my grip. I try pulling it open, but I don’t have the strength.

‘You don’t have the strength? You’re in a college dorm. There’s plenty of energy sources around. Use them’ It tells me.

I open my mind, and feel the minds, the emotions of everyone around me. So much raw energy. So much untapped potential. I open my eyes, and grip the fridge again. My magic flares a bright blue, brighter than ever. Using the energy of others around me, feels good. Not in a moral way, but it feels empowering.

‘This is the power you have. This is your mother’s inheritance’ It says, and fades away.

Still hyped from the buzz my magic gave me, I slam an entire can of Mountain Dew. I can feel the caffeine kick in almost right away. This feels good.

A grin spreads across my face. “Let’s go” I say, walking out the door.

Me and Octavia walk along the sidewalk, on the way to the Lightrail.

“So, Octavia, why are you all of a sudden being nice?” I ask.

“Because. I knew that you were having a rough time, so I decided to cut off my behavior”

“Can you say it differently?”

“Because I wanted to” She says simply.

“Ah... Thanks” I say.

She nods.

We get on the train, and we shoot of to the complex my mother is at. We walk into the building, get through the security checkpoints. We get our guest passes, and were escorted to the room she’s being held in. I siphon a little energy off of everyone as we walk.

The guard stands outside the room. Me and Octavia walk in the room. She’s sitting at a chair. She looks just how I remember her.

“Hello. Who are you?” She asks.

“Hello. Mother” I say unemotionally.

“Vinyl? Is that you?” She says thickly. She stands up, and walks towards me.

“Yes, mom. It’s your daughter, Vinyl Scratch” I take a step toward you.

She looks at my face, taking in every feature of it. “You’ve changed” She says.

“You haven’t” I say with an edge.

“Who is this?” She asks.

“Hello. I’m Octavia, a friend of your daughters”

“You must be a good friend to be with her right now. Vinyl, I can feel how you feel. Tell me, how have I changed you?”

Her wording is off, but I know what she means. How have I made you different?

I take a breath, steadying myself. Should I tell her about what has been haunting me my whole life? No. Not yet. “I can siphon energy from other’s emotions” I state matter-of-factly. “Don’t apologize. It’s usefull”

She looks relieved. “Nothing else? No blackouts? No voices?”

“No. Why?”

“Because. That means you don’t have the issues being a half-breed would give you. Did you know you're the second pony-changeling mix? There’s been only one other. He was insane. He said he had this voice, that would whisper in his ear, telling him things. Threatening that he could seize control at any time”

I can feel my mother has genuine concern for me.

“Well, I don’t have any voices”

All of a sudden, I feel a sharp pain in my head.

“Are you hiding anything?” She asks. Her form starts to flicker, and she changes into a changeling. The pain in my head grows sharper. I fall to my knees, the pain blocking out all thought. She’s doing this.

‘Retaliate’ The Voice says. ‘Retaliate’ I grasp her mind. It feels so different. I grip it hard with my mind, and squeeze. The pain instantly vanishes. Along with any feelings I might have had for this Changeling.

“You’re not my mother” I say with quiet fury. “I am motherless” I squeeze her mind harder. She falls to the floor. “Don’t try that again” I tighten my grip. “Don’t contact me again” I twist her mind, causing her to cry out in pain. “Never talk to my father again” I release her.

“Let’s go, Octavia” I say, walking out. Octavia follows me.

“Wait! I have to tell you something!” the Changeling shouts. I send a powerful spear of mental energy at her. I slam the door.

“What happened?” Octavia asks me once we’re out on the street again.

“She tried reading my thoughts. So I mentally attacked her”

“Did you do this for the same reason you attacked me? Gut action?”

“Yes. So what? She deserved it”

“Vinyl, you only hurt the people around you because you want to inflict pain on others, to show them the pain you’ve suffered. Until you stop and find closure, you’ll be no better than her”

“I don’t understand” I say. But I do. I’m glad Octavia can’t read my emotions, and see the turmoil.

Author's Note:

Gar. I'm tired. If the last little bit doesn't make a lot of sense, It's because I'm tired. I'm rereading it now, and it sounds good, but maybe only because I'm sleep deprived.

Sorry for the short chapter. I found some awesome dubtrot on soundcloud, and wanted something to do as I play music, so I decided to write. It's surprising how much each individual song influences the flow of the story. The mood of the song completely changes the vibe of the story. Or I'm just so sleep deprived-drunk that it just does stuff in my head... That doesn't sound like proper English.

Tell me what you think, I'll check in whenever I can.

Follow me on twitter, @lonepone13 for updates.

*yawn* night all *falls asleep, and my head lands on the keyboard* asdflhiueganlmxfueg