• Published 29th Jun 2013
  • 2,501 Views, 317 Comments

The Formative Years - Lonepone

  • ...
16
 317
 2,501

Mom

I open my eyes up, and look at Sky, her head resting on my shoulder. I lay there, just looking at her, not wanting to wake her up. I start absentmindedly stroking her hair. She opens her eyes, revealing her bright green eyes. We lay there, taking each other in.

“Morning” I eventually say.

She laughs. “A little late” She springs up out of the bed. “So what are you doing today? Mind if I tag along?”

“I was going to go into a salon or something, get my hair fixed, and visit Dad. Come along if you want”

“Cool. Can’t wait to meet my marefriend’s parents”

The fact that she already considers me her marefriend surprises me, but not too much. “Parent. Just my dad”

“What about your mom?” she asks innocently.

“I’ll tell you later. All you need to know right now is that since almost forever, it’s been just me and Dad. But first, let’s get my hair back to it’s normal color”

“Aw, I kinda like the gray. Looks nice on you”

“Thanks, but I like my blue messy look, not this so much”

“Alright. I’ll pay for it. After all, how else am I gonna prove how awesome last night was?”

“Hey, you were pretty good yourself. No one else has such a”-

“Quiet. I don’t think the author wants to go in that direction yet” She says.

“Alright. Let’s go” We walk out of the dorm building, and into the streets of Manehtten. We walk into the nearest high quality salon. Sky pays, and I go back and sit down in a chair.

“So what do you want today?” Asks the stylist.

“Well, my hair dye is fading out. Its a dark blue base, with neon blue stripes. You can tell it you look at the end of my hair” I tell her.

“Alright” She gets to work, massaging the dark blue dye into my hair first. “So who’s the mare with you?”

“My really good friend Neon Sky”

“Mhm. So are you two ‘really good friends’ or a couple?” She asks.

“Couple” I say, an edge creeping into my voice. “Does it matter?”

“No, of course not, darling” She drawls. “I’m bi myself. I was just wondering” My hair is done. I stalk back into the reception area, Sky pays, and we leave.

“So to your Dad’s now, right?”

“Yeah. He’s a really cool person, wait till you meet him”

We walk along the streets. We get hungry, so I buy us a pair of apples. We munch on them on the way home. before I know it, we’re home. I le tus in, and we walk into the living room. Dad’s there, cradling his head in his hands.

Something is wrong, seriously wrong. “What’s wrong dad”

He looks up at me, and by that look alone, I know I don’t want to hear what he has to say. I turn and run, but you can’t outrun sound.

“It’s your mother, Vinyl”

Author's Note:

Sorry about two really tiny chapters in a row.