• Published 29th Jun 2013
  • 2,501 Views, 317 Comments

The Formative Years - Lonepone

  • ...
16
 317
 2,501

I am Changeling

I run along the trail, two tall hedges bordering me on each side. I’m not sure why I’m running.

There’s someone ahead of me. I have to catch up to her. I speed up, trying to catch her. She looks behind her, sees me running, and picks up speed. I catch a bit of laughter from her.

“Wait up!” I shout.

“Speed up!” Comes the reply.

I push myself harder, and I’m slowly gaining on her. She takes a right at an intersection with another path, and keeps making twists and turns. I lose her.

I walk along the path. I’m in a giant hedge maze. I come to a small cliff with a steep, although not vertical, angle. I can see her coming along the path at the bottom of cliff. I jump on the slope, and slide down on my hooves, landing right in front of her.

She halts, and then reverses direction, running the other way. I take off after her, sprinting. up ahead, there’s another cliff face. She looks back, and in that second, she runs off the face off the cliff. And just like that, she’s gone.

I run towards the cliff face, and fling myself off. She’s below me. I make myself as aerodynamic as possible, and fall towards her. I gain on her. I reach out towards her. I fall past her, and just manage to catch her.

I say my last words. “I got you, Oct”-

Someone shakes my shoulder. “Are you alright, Vinyl?” Octavia asks.

I groggily lift my head, and look up at her. “Yeah, I’m fine. Why?”

“Because, you were eating some of your instant ramen, and then you just collapsed. Passed out. Your head made a loud and hollow thunk when it hit your ramen, then the table.”

I look at what I was laying my head on. The foam cup. I'm glad I drained all the water out, so it didn't make a mess.

“I don’t remember that... Ah. I see. I’m fine, just worn out” I lie.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, just tired. I’m gonna hit the sack” I say, a little zoned out.

“Vinyl, It’s morning. You’re eating breakfast, getting ready for class. You just woke up”

“I knew that” I say unconvincingly. “Off to class then” I say, getting up.

“No, you're staying here. You’re not fine”

I walk to the door. “Try and stop me”

She stands in the doorway. I grip her with my magic, but I’m weak again. I quickly siphon energy off of the others around me, and my magic flares that bright blue again. I pick her up, and sit her down at the table. I walk out to my first class.

I burn through the week of class, getting to every class on time, and having massive amounts of energy. A few things are off, though.

'Like me?' The voice asks.

'Yes, you, ya lil shit' I say.

'Vinyl, Vinyl' it admonishes 'that's no way to talk to yourself. For that matter, you shouldn't be talking to yourself at all'

'Not this again. You're not scary, your just fucking annoying'

'Why do you have so much energy?' It asks, changing course.

'Luck' I tell it.

'What if I told you' I get a vague image of a black human, wearing narrow black glasses 'that it wasn't luck? What if your changeling powers weren't completely under your control?'

'Honestly, I don't really care. Nopony is getting hurt' before it even speaks, I know it will contradict me.

'Nopony? Haven't you noticed that Octavia seems to be a little...' It pauses for effect 'worn thin?'

'What? She got a new gym membership. I mean, look at that ass'

'You have a point, Vinyl, she does have an amazing plot. But it's more then a physical tired'

'She's seemed fine to me. And even so, she was a bitch to me before, so she can suck it up and work through it'

'Before this week she might have been a bitch, but what about this week? She's been rather nice, hasn't she? And why is she nice? Has she warmed up to you being a halfbreed? Is she getting a little attracted to you?'

I focus on the voice, trying to make it stop

It laughs, a dark and evil chuckle. 'Nice try, Vinyl' a sharp, but insignificant pain blossoms in the back of my head 'now it's my turn' the pain blossoms to a full migraine, focused behind my left eye. I jump up from my chair.

The world does a single full rotation around me, and then rights itself. Then a blackness seeps in from the edges of my vision, and covers everything. Even though all is black, I can still tell where things are. I don't exactly see everything, but I can just feel where things are.

'So there's more of me in you then I expected' says a voice next to my right ear. I whip around, expecting for someone to jump me. But there's no one.

All of a sudden, the blackness shifts, and I can see through walls. I can see my classmates within their so called privacy. But they don't look normal. All of them blaze a certain color.

I look through the wall to the dorm nest to mine, the one housing Blare and Sound. At first I only see one large red blaze, but it resolves itself to reveal two blazes in extreme proximity. I don't have time to ponder this before the voice speaks again.

'So you have changeling vision' the blackness recedes, but the migraine doesn't. I look at my hoof for conformation, but it isn't my hoof. It's all black, and riddled with holes. I try to look away, but a force keeps my head locked in place. A bright blue fire swirls around it, and it's replaced with a normal ponies hoof, only orange. The fire returns, and changes my hoof back to white. The force moves my head until I'm looking at my flank. At my cutie mark. It changes to a blue, yellow, and red lightning bolt. Then a game controller. Then a speaker. 'Change it' the voice demands. I focus on it, and change it back to the customary eighth note. 'Good. Now to the bathroom'

The voice moves my limbs until I'm standing in front of the mirror. A blue flame flares around my head, and my horn is gone. I'd cry out in shock, but I have no control. Fire flares around my midsection, and wings appear. At first normal pony wings, but then they morph into a more insect form.

The blue flames engulf my entire body. The pain from the migraine is like no other pain I've felt before. The flames recede, and I stare at the changeling in the mirror. My hoof waves, and the changeling waves back.

I look closer, and realize I'm not like other changelings I've seen. My horn is whole. My eyes, instead of being blue, are red. Instead of a jet black shell, it's a dark blue. My wings are blue, not green. And I still have my cutie mark.

I am a halfbreed.

The flames return, and change my body back to normal. The pain recedes. 'Use my gift well' the voice says, returning command of my body to me.

Darkness creeps up on my vision. Not the darkness from before, but the darkness from my blackouts. Before I know it, my vision is obliterated. I bump into things, trying to find my way to my bed. I don't make it. I pass out in the hallway. And that's where Octavia finds me when she gets home.

Author's Note:

Well, there ya go. I'm going to stop writing for a few days now.

Thanks to may amazing assistant, Mikea491! He's been catching some typos I make, and ratcheting up the humor another level.