• Published 23rd Jun 2013
  • 2,283 Views, 129 Comments

The Elements of Honor - Flanagan



The story of three stallions and their journey to fine their true destiny, rated Teen for blood, gore, sexual innuendos and language

  • ...
6
 129
 2,283

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 46: Among Friends and Gods

There was only darkness, nothing more, nothing less. The cold winds swept across the abyss that went on for eternity. A single pegasus lay there, curled into a ball resembling a newborn. In the mist of all the darkness a single light began to shine, brighter and brighter it glowed. Until finally, two figures stepped from the light, one noticeably larger than the other.

“Is it really him?” the smaller of the two figures asked, looking to the giant figure next to her.

“Yes my child…” the larger one said. “Quickly, we must gather him before he wakes.”

The smaller figure nodded and her horn began to glow a ruby color. She placed the pegasus on the back of the larger one. Then they stepped back into the portal of light. Once the two returned, a large group surrounded them all waiting eagerly to see what the two had brought to them this time, but this time they were not in wonder they were in anticipation.

“Is it true?” one of them asked. “Is he with us now?”

“I doubt it…” another said. “He was the toughest pony I’ve ever known.”

“Enough my children.” the large one said, “and to quell your thoughts it IS him… he was taken too quickly.” he placed the pegasus on the floor before the large group.

After a few long moments, the pegasus’s eyes slowly opened. The group around him all surrounded him even tighter, waiting for him to do something. Then his eyes shot wide open, revealing his dark iron colored eyes.

“GREATSWORD!” They yelled simultaneously.

“What the HELL?!” Greatsword exclaimed, springing to his hooves.

“Told you he would do that…” one of them said. “I said that we needed to give him space but NO…”

“We haven’t seen him in nearly a year, Camo…” another said. “I’m sure he’d want to see us again.”

“Give him some space,” a female said. “He still doesn’t remember who any of us are yet.”

“Come on Record Keeper…” yet another said. “I think he’d remember me…” the figure approached Greatsword. “Right buddy?”

“Bud-buddy…?” Greatsword said shaking his head. “C-Comet?”

“I knew he’d remember me!” Comet said wrapping his forelegs around him. “I missed ya buddy!”

“What… What’s going on?” Greatsword said looking around.

“He still doesn’t know…” Record Keeper said walking up to the two. “Greatsword… You’re dead…”

Greatsword took a few steps back, still trying to absorb the news. Looking to his left and right he saw all those friends he had lost and another much larger creature behind them. He forcefully pushed Comet back, much to Comet’s surprise and when he tried to approach him again Greatsword readied himself for a fight. The other quickly backed off knowingly, but Record Keeper remained in front of him staring into his eyes.

“Stay the hell back…” Greatsword growled. “This is another one of The Shadow’s tricks!”

“Greatsword…” Record Keeper said walking even closer. “If this were a trick would I do this?”

Record Keeper stopped inches in font of Greatsword, the others waited in tense anticipation to see either’s next move. Then without warning, she leaned into him, pressing her lips against his. Jaws dropped, eyes widened and breaths were lost, they never expected anything like that, especially from Record Keeper, but was even more surprising to them was that Greatsword was letting her do it.

“Looks like he DOES have a heart…” one of them said laughing.

“Flash come on…” Comet said. “This is a lot for him to take in; we were the same way not long ago.”

“I guess you’re right Comet, but I can still hardly believe the HE of all ponies is here, hell I thought he’d live forever.”

“N-not all of us are still used to being dead…” the smallest one said. “I-I still think th-that I’ll wake up in Canterlot.”

“Cannon Fodder?!” Greatsword said in shock. “Can somepony PLEASE tell me what’s going on?”

“You have passed my child…” the large one said, “but you died by means unforeseen, and I must do what I can to send you back.”

“Who are you?” Greatsword asked.

The massive pony knelled before Greatsword and smiled, “I am Omnipotent, the father of Equestria.”

“Im-Impossible!” Greatsword roared. “You’re dead! You used all of your magic to make everypony forget.”

“My physical form yes…” Omnipotent replied stepping before him. “But my soul is connected to Equestria and all beings that call it home, so I only died in body… but my soul remains here where I show those who have passed a true paradise.”

“You are not the only one who guides the fallen to paradise.” another voice called from a distance.

“Ah my beloved…” Omnipotent said looking in the direction on the voice, “Greatsword, this is-”

“Aurora…” Greatsword said finishing Omnipotent’s statement.

“You know of me?” Aurora asked slightly confused. “How do you know me?”

“Dante told me your story… he told me everything…” Greatsword answered.

“My dear friend Dante…” Omnipotent said shaking his head. “I knew he wouldn’t allow my spell affect him.”

“He’s trying to save what you created,” Greatsword said. “He said I was one of the ones who represent the elements of honor.”

“The elements?” Omnipotent asked shocked. “The elements were destroyed with… Dante, you always had your ways…”

“I don’t understand,” Greatsword said, “what are you talking about?”

“I made sure I had the elements of honor with me when I cast my spell,” Omnipotent explained. “The elements were destroyed.”

“Then how am I the representation of Sacrifice?” Greatsword asked.

“You don’t represent the element of sacrifice…” Omnipotent said. “You ARE the element of sacrifice.”

“WHAT?!” Greatsword and the others said in unison.

“Dante must have gathered their essence from the weapons and held them until he found a family worthy of holding them inside if Destruction would return.” Aurora said to her husband.

“Indeed…” Omnipotent replied. “But who would he trust so much to hold such a force inside them?”

“He trusted me, my king…” an older pony said stepping into the light.

“General Ballista…” Omnipotent said. “If Dante would’ve chosen anypony he would’ve chosen you…”

“I am sorry for acting behind your back my king,” General Ballista said bowing to him. “But I believed that Dante was right about Destruction, and as you can see he was.”

“My one regret has come to haunt me again…” Omnipotent said. “And I am powerless to stop it.”

“Powerless?!” Greatsword roared. “YOU created ALL of Equestria and you say your POWERLESS?!”

“I am bound to this realm as well as my wife…” Omnipotent said sadly looking to Aurora. “If that were not the case then my son would have NEVER touched my youngest, every evil would have been stopped if I hadn’t cast my spell.”

“You did what you thought was best at the time, my king.” General Ballista said. “Not even you could have never predicted what would come of that decision.”

“Over three thousand years of regret, General…” Omnipotent said. “That’s three thousand years more than anypony should bear.”

“There is still hope, my king,” General Ballista said making his way to Greatsword. “My successors unlocked their power… well at least him.”

“You’re my-” Greatsword tried to speak but General Ballista stopped him.

“There are far too many ‘greats’ in my relation to you Greatsword,” he interrupted. “But there are two here that may wish to speak with you.”

Two more figures stepped into the light their shadowy figures were impossible for him to distinguish. He could only see that one was a stallion and the other was a mare. Without warning the mare rushed Greatsword and embraced him.

“MY SON!” she cried happily. “I finally get to see my son all grown up!”

“What…” Greatsword said confused. “Who… who are you?”

“You don’t recognize your own mother?” she said looking up to him, “how can you not know me?”

“My… my…” Greatsword stuttered. “My MOTHER?!”

“Forge, Greatsword had his memory wiped over five years ago…” Record Keeper explained. “He has no memories of before then.”

“You don’t remember the first ten years of your life?” Forge asked teary eyed. “You don’t… you don’t remember me or your father?”

Greatsword finally returned his mother’s embrace, “I’m sorry, but I don’t…” he said fighting back tears, “I only remembered a mare… one I fell in love with…”

“My son in love?” the stallion said. “I bet she was lucky.”

“Armor Smith, please…” Forge said looking back at him. “Come here so your son can take a look at you.”

The stallion stepped into the light, though he was a bit shorter than Greatsword. His dark grey coat, black mane and tail made him look almost exactly like Greatsword, except one minor difference.

“You’re both earth ponies…” Greatsword said confused.

“My father was a pegasus…” Armor Smith explained. “And Forge’s mother was a unicorn, if you want an explanation for Battleaxe.”

“How are the other two?” Forge asked. “Did they grow up to be as handsome as you?”

“They’re fine…” Greatsword said reassuringly. “And they’d love to be here now…”

“You said you loved somepony son,” Armor Smith said. “Did you get married to her? Have a few foals?”

Greatsword looked to his father and took a deep breath, his look said it all. He turned his attention to Record Keeper who was tearing up at the question. Armor Smith saw how the question upset her and quickly reacted.

“I’m sorry Record Keeper,” he said, “were you the one he loved?”

“I THOUGHT I was…” she said with tears running down her face.

“Record Keeper…” Greatsword said walking to her. “I do love you, I always will… but I need to get back to Equestria, I need to stop Destruction.”

“I understand…” Record Keeper said. “But I’ve missed you so much… I thought you’d want to… you know… stay.”

“I wasn’t supposed to be here now in the first place, Record Keeper,” Greatsword said, “and I must stop Destruction before he destroys all of Equestria.”

“There is a flaw in you plan Greatsword…” Omnipotent said walking next to him.

“And that is?” Greatsword asked turning his attention to Omnipotent.

“My husband and I can’t send you back…” Aurora said. “You are here for eternity unless the ones around you when you died can find away…”

“There IS a way, my love…” Omnipotent said to Aurora, “but they require a dragon’s heart to do so.”

“Dante…” Greatsword said. “Dante can give me his heart!”

“That he can…” Omnipotent said, “but one must meet the requirements to save a life by a dragon’s heart healing power.” He looked directly into Greatsword’s eyes. “Your soul is full of anger, regret, pain… I’m uncertain that you will meet those requirements…”

“I can only hope that I do…” Greatsword said, “but none of these ponies belong here… they’re all dead because of me… I would give my life gladly if it would bring them back…” Greatsword stared right back into Omnipotent’s eyes, “and I would give up everything if it meant that they could live again…”

The two remained staring at one another for some time. Then finally Omnipotent spoke. “It seems there is more to you than meets the eye, Greatsword… not just in physical appearance but in your soul as well… you are a worthy bearer of sacrifice.”

“My son, the element of sacrifice… I could never be more proud of you son…” Armor Smith said walking up to Greatsword with teary eyes. Then without notice Armor Smith wrapped his hooves around him, “I-I love you son…” he said through his tears, “I know you don’t remember, but I never said that enough to any of you… I just want you to know now that I always loved you…”

Greatsword placed a his hoof on Armor Smith’s shoulder and let a single tear fall from his eyes, “I love you too father…”

“Uh… I-I know that you’re all having a moment…” Cannon Fodder said to get the attention of everypony, “b-but shouldn’t w-we be t-trying to get Greatsword back to Equestria?”

Everypony paused and looked to Cannon Fodder; he was tapping his hooves as he sheepishly looked back at them. Then Greatsword stepped away from his father and stood before Omnipotent. He stared into the alicorn’s eyes for a long time and then smiled.

“I need to get back…” Greatsword said to him, “and I need your help.”

“Then you shall have my help…” Omnipotent replied. “I should know more than most that if there is hope… there is a way.” Omnipotent looked over to Aurora, “Come my wife, though we can’t send him back, we may be able to find something so that we can influence those around him."

The two alicorns walked off into the distance, Greatsword started to follow them but he was stopped by the gentle touch of a hoof. He turned around to see Record Keeper standing behind him with a look of sadness.

“What do you need Record Keeper?” he said looking into her eyes.

“Do you really love her?” she asked, fighting back her emotions.

“Record Keeper…” Greatsword said. “I-”

“Do you love her?” Record Keeper asked again.

“I-I…” he stuttered, trying to say the right words. “I feel-”

“Are you happy?” she finally asked. “I just want you to say you’re happy when you’re around her,” Record Keeper suddenly embraced him; her tears ran down her face. “All I ever wanted was to for you to be happy.”

Greatsword took Record Keeper in his hooves and held her as tightly as she could. “I was happy,” he said fighting back tears of his own. “I was happy when I was with you…” Greatsword pushed himself away from Record Keeper, keeping his hooves on her shoulders, “and I feel the same way around her.”

“As long as you’re happy, Greatsword,” she sniffed, looking up to him. “As long as you’re happy…”

Greatsword turned away from Record Keeper, but before he followed Omnipotent and Aurora he placed his hoof under her chin and kissed her one last time. She looked at him with loving eyes while he walked away, but before he took another step he turned around. He nodded his head and gave her the same charming smile he had over five years ago, she nodded back, unable to stay the tide of her tears anymore. Then with a deep breath he faced the light and took one last step before disappearing.

PreviousChapters Next