• Published 23rd Jun 2013
  • 2,281 Views, 129 Comments

The Elements of Honor - Flanagan



The story of three stallions and their journey to fine their true destiny, rated Teen for blood, gore, sexual innuendos and language

  • ...
6
 129
 2,281

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27: Ponyville Defense Force

Several weeks had passed since the welcome party, and Greatsword and his counterparts had started their mission. They expected given the size of the town nearly twenty ponies would sign up, but initial predictions were very wrong.

“Five…” Battleaxe said to the group, “all those damn flyers we set up around town and we only get five…”

“It’s not the quantity, Battleaxe,” Lug Nut said looking over the five ponies in question. “It’s the quality.”

“Five…” Battleaxe repeated. “Just FIVE.”

“It’s better than none, brother.” Greatsword said to Battleaxe as he stepped before their trainees. “And we must not disappoint Princess Celestia. They will be trained, and they will be ready.”

“Am I the only one who still knows how to count?” Battleaxe said to Patches, who replied with a hoof over her face.

“Good morning, ponies,” Greatsword said to the five trainees. “You all are here because you want to become more than what you are already and you want to keep what you care about safe.”

“Eeyup.” Big Mac said smiling as the other four remained silent.

“I am Captain Greatsword of the Equestrian Special Forces Division, and I will be overseeing your training.”

Greatsword calmly explained everything that he and the others would be training them for over the next several weeks. The small group of volunteers remained silent during the duration of his speech, but several were starting to wonder why they volunteered in the first place. Once he finally finished, a single hoof rose into the air.

“Captain, sir,” the pony said. “Will we actually be killing things after you train us?”

“If it comes down to that, yes,” Greatsword said. “What’s your name stallion?”

“Carmel…” he replied

“Carmel,” Greatsword said, “why are you here?”

“What?” Carmel asked, somewhat surprised at the question.

“Why are you here, Carmel?” Greatsword said again staring him down.

“Well, Big Macintosh signed up and I thought that I should do the same,” Carmel explained, “after all, he and I are really good friends.” He turned to Big Mac, “Right buddy?”

“Eeyup.” Big Mac replied nodding his head.

“Carmel,” Greatsword said again, “why are you here?”

Carmel began to sweat while he took a large gulp, “Uh… well, you see…” Carmel’s eyes shifted around as he tried to find the right words. “Can I tell you in private?”

“Of course you can, follow me.” Greatsword said walking to the far side of the Town Hall. “Now,” he said once they were far enough away from the other ponies to where they couldn’t hear, “why are you here?”

“I like Big Mac’s little sister, Applejack…” Carmel said hanging his head low. “I thought if I joined she would notice me more and maybe start liking me the way I like her.”

“Have you ever told her that you like her?” Greatsword asked. “That would help.”

“No! I can barely look at her; even though I’ve done odd jobs at their farm for years I still can’t seem to muster the courage to talk to her.” Carmel spoke almost too quickly for Greatsword to understand him. “She loves military ponies though, but I’m too scared to join the real forces, so this was my best bet to have her notice me.”

“Your heart’s in the right place, Carmel,” Greatsword said placing his hoof on Carmel’s shoulder, “and after these next few weeks, I’ll have your mind and body there too.”

“Thank you, sir.” Carmel said smiling.

“No, problem, Carmel, now get back to the others. I still have to explain your itinerary.” Greatsword said as he and Carmel made their way back to the ponies, the 1025th was still introducing themselves and what they would be instructing.

Greatsword took his place in front of the ponies and looked them over one last time. “For the next four weeks you trained in small town urban defensive tactics. Training starts at 0445 every morning, and will continue until 1930 every evening. Do all of you understand?” The trainees all nodded. “Good, Training starts tomorrow, and believe me… you DON’T want to be late for my classes.”

The next day at 0445, all the ponies were there, ready for the training. It started with a two hour run around town. After a one hour break for breakfast and bath time, they received classes. On the first day, Lug Nut was their instructor.

“Alright, ponies,” he began, “since Graphite is the only unicorn, I’ll teach you the hard way how to make and repair a short and long range radio.” he grabbed a cart full of household appliances and moved it in front of the group. “First you take the sewing machine…” after hours of agonizingly boring instructions he was finally done with his work. “And that’s how you do It.” he said proudly, “your turn.”

The trainees looked at him in confusion. They had all fallen asleep at some point in time during the class. Lug Nut was just so concentrated on making the radio that he failed to notice. The other instructors did their best to hide their laughter when Lug Nut became a shade of red with frustration. He took the whole thing apart and made the trainees put it together until they finally got it right, seven hours later.

The next day was much the same, except they were learning scouting and maneuver through urban terrain. The two pegasi in the group of five excelled in their attempts. So much they actually impressed Long Shot, the instructor for the day.

“Not bad, ponies, not bad at all.” He said with approval.

“Thank you, sir.” the two said in unison.

“I never caught your names, mind telling me so I can out in a good word?” Long Shot asked them.

“I’m Thunderlane, sir.” the stallion said.

“Name’s Scootaloo.” The mare said.

“You seem a little young, Scootaloo,” Long Shot said to her. “Just how old are you?”

“I’m at the minimum age requirement, sir.” Scootaloo said proudly, “I signed up because I thought it would be a new challenge.”

“She’s always looking for something exciting, sir,” Thunderlane explained, “a few years back she won the Equestrian X-games.”

“I have this cutie mark for a reason, Thunderlane.” Scootaloo said pointing to the winged scooter wheel on her flank.

“That’s where I’ve heard the name before. Well I’m sure we can think of more challenging courses as you two progress.” Long Shot said nodding to them.

“I can’t wait for it.” Scootaloo said excitedly.

“Don’t get carried away, Scootaloo,” Thunderlane said to her, “I’m sure they’d want you NOT to break a wing during training.”

“You’re not my dad.” Scootaloo said back as the two walked away from Long Shot.

“Nopony knows who your dad is, Scootaloo,” Thunderlane said back, “and Roller Blade never told you who he was.”

Scootaloo punched Thunderlane’s shoulder while they continued to walk away, but she was not the only pony there to have a reaction at the mention of that name. Long Shot froze in place the moment he overheard the two’s conversation. It was impossible, he thought, it was so long ago.

“Did he just…” he said staring back in their direction.

“Something wrong, Long Shot?” Patches asked Long Shot. “You look like you just saw a ghost.”

“I’m fine…” Long Shot said shaking his head, “I think I was just hearing things.”

“Well ok, we still got three ponies to run through the course and it’s almost 1800. We kind of need to speed them through.” Patches said to him as they made their way back to the start of the course.

Long Shot saw the other three ponies though the course quickly and at 1930, the training was completed. Everypony made their way back home. Once Long Shot arrived at his brother’s house he stopped at the front door to think.

“Can it be?” he asked himself, looking to the door, “it’s impossible, she never left Flankford…” Long Shot lowered his head, “well, she never WROTE saying she left Flankford.”

Just as he had finished his statement, Archer opened the door to greet him. “Welcome home Uncle Long Shot!” she said with a smile, “How was training today?”

“Interesting to say the least.” Long Shot said as he picked up his head and gave a smile to his niece.

“I can’t wait to hear about it. Ready for dinner?” Archer asked happily, “I cooked it myself!”

“I’ll call the hospital then,” Long Shot said as Archer rolled her eyes at him, “I need to talk to your dad after dinner though…” he said walking inside, “in private.”

“Sure Uncle Long Shot,” Archer said letting him pass, “I’m just glad you’re back.”

Nearly two weeks passed since the 1025th started training their volunteers and they all seemed to be doing well. Big Mac was excellent for supply shipments, Thunderlane and Scootaloo were getting faster and faster with each obstacle course. Graphite was learning basic defensive and offensive spells faster than any of them expected, but it was Carmel who was becoming their best recruit and it wasn’t just his trainers that took notice of that.

The training had been completed for the day. Everypony had left for their homes. Carmel stayed behind, as he had nearly every evening, to get in some extra practice with what they had learned that day. About an hour in to his own personal training, he was halted by a familiar, southern accent.

“Howdy, Carmel,” Applejack said making her way to him. “I heard ya been doin’ well out here.”

“Uh… uh…” Carmel stuttered, whipping the sweat from his brow. “Thanks…”

“I been hearin’ a couple of other things ‘bout ya as well.” She said stopping only inches away from him.

“Uh… like what?” Carmel asked wiping the sweat of his brow.

“Well,” Applejack said smiling, “I heard that somepony round town has caught yer eye.”

“Really?!” Carmel hastily said with his eyes darting everywhere. “Who would possibly say something like that?”

“Carmel…” Applejack said again, “ya don’t have to be like that. To tell ya the truth, I kinda like ya too.”

“What?!” Carmel shouted, “R-really?!”

“Half the time ya did odd jobs at the farm nopony really needed to do anything,” Applejack said, adjusting her hat over her eyes. “I just wanted ta watch ya work.”

“I-I don’t know what to say Applejack…” Carmel said his face becoming red.

“Then let me show ya.” Applejack leaned into him and gave him a peck on the cheek, Carmel froze in shock. He started to lean to one side, but Applejack caught him before he completely fell over.

“Come on,” she said, smiling. “Let’s get ya home.”

“Did it work?” Apple Bloom said, hiding behind a short wall while Big Mac was peering over it.

“Eeyup.” Big Mac said with a smile.

Apple Bloom pumped her hoof up and down, “I knew big sis wouldn’t let ‘em down! I’m sure if you didn’t hint to her about Carmel she’d of never made the move in the first place.”

“Eeyup.” Big Mac said again looking to his little sister.

“Let’s get back to the farm Big Macintosh, I’m sure Granny Smith’ll be wonderin’ where I been by now.” Apple Bloom said getting up.

“Eeyup.” Big Mac said while the two made their way back to Sweet Apple Acres.

One day later, Greatsword was looking over the volunteers. They had come a long way for being trained for a little over two weeks. He was proud of every one of them, in particular Carmel. Today however, Carmel looked a little different, a lot more upbeat usual. His mood made Greatsword wonder what made him like this today. “Carmel,” he said, “why are you so happy today?”

“No reason in particular, sir.” Carmel replied, his stupid grin still on his face.

“It’s Applejack, isn’t it?” Greatsword asked in front of everypony. Carmel’s smile quickly went away when all the other ponies stared at him.

“YOU and Applejack?” Graphite said with wide eyes, “I never saw THAT coming.”

Carmel’s eyes darted from pony to pony as he wiped sweat off his face. He continued to look around until his eyes fell on Big Mac, who was doing his best to cover up his smile. Carmel glared at Big Mac angrily. He was the only pony that knew before he told Greatsword a few weeks ago.

“Carmel, it’s nice that you found somepony to care about,” Greatsword said giving him a stern look. “But do NOT let your feelings for her get in the way of your mission, it WILL kill you.” He turned to all the ponies. “I don’t want any of you to let your emotions control you, doing that either kills you or the pony next to you.”

“Yes sir.” all the volunteers said in unison.

“Good, now let’s get our run in so we can start training,” Greatsword said. “You get Warhammer as an instructor today, heaven help you…” he smiled as they began their run, but his smile was as it had been for over a month, fake.

After nearly breaking everypony during his training, Warhammer went to speak with his brother. Greatsword was watching a few of their volunteers run a course, in silent thought. He was so lost in thought he didn’t even notice it when Warhammer stopped at his side. The two sat there for several minutes but finally Warhammer spoke.

“I don’t think I’ve never seen you this upset, Greatsword,” he began. “Not even five years ago, when your dreams haunted you beyond any reason.”

“I don’t need to talk, Warhammer,” Greatsword said to him. “I just need time alone.”

“You’ve been left alone for over a month, Greatsword,” Warhammer said. “Now I am here to help, please brother, let me help you like I have before.”

“You can’t help if there’s no issue, Warhammer.” Greatsword said back. “You don’t have to worry about me, worry about our volunteers, they only need one more week of training and then they’ll be on their own.”

“Like you are now,” Warhammer said stepping even closer to Greatsword. “Record Keeper’s death ways heavy on all of our minds, brother, I know you were the closest to her-”

“CAN’T I JUST BE LEFT THE HELL ALONE?!” Greatsword yelled, halting everypony on the course. “I know you are trying to help, but I need to be left alone. Do you understand that?”

“I do brother,” Warhammer said, “but you’re wrong.”

“I’ve been wrong before,” Greatsword said walking back to the Town Hall, “and I’ll be wrong again.”

Warhammer just watched as his brother left him. It didn’t take long for Battleaxe to take Greatsword’s place at Warhammer’s side. Warhammer continued to stare off into the town, even when Battleaxe tried to get his attention. After a few seconds of waving his forearms around like an idiot he finally said something.

“What the hell is his problem?”

“He’s going through a troubling time.” Warhammer answered.

“Aren’t we all?” Battleaxe said rolling his eyes. “We’re in a no-name town training a group of ill-prepared ponies to more than likely die when-“

“It is a matter of the heart, Battleaxe,” Warhammer interrupted. “I know that he and Record Keeper were close… but they may have been closer than any of us thought.”

“You think those two…”

“I’m not sure… but this is a battle that he wishes to fight alone… even though he needs our help.”

“Well… we still need to train these guys, so if you would be so kind.”

“I’ll be on my way soon enough,” Warhammer said staring into the distance. “Don’t wait for me.”

Battleaxe returned to the training while Warhammer remained. He knew that Greatsword was going through hell, much like he was, but it was different than being away from the one he loved. Several minutes passed before Warhammer returned to the group, because after all, Battleaxe was right. Their training was only a week away from completion and this last week needed the full concentration of the whole team.

Author's Note:

That name... could there be a connection between Long Shot and this recruit?

PreviousChapters Next