• Published 23rd Jun 2013
  • 2,280 Views, 129 Comments

The Elements of Honor - Flanagan



The story of three stallions and their journey to fine their true destiny, rated Teen for blood, gore, sexual innuendos and language

  • ...
6
 129
 2,280

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 48: Sacrifice Reborn

“What exactly is he doing?” Greatsword asked looking over Aurora while Omnipotent stood in the middle of a crsytaline room, his horn glowed brightly.

“He’s doing what he can, Greatsword,” she replied, “but he can only do so much.”

The two looked to Omnipotent, his horn glowing furiously while he stared to the ground. “What exactly is he doing?” Greatsword asked.

“My husband is creating a portal.” Aurora answered.

“I thought the two of you said that you couldn’t send me back.” Greatsword replied trying to rush past her.

“We can’t…” Aurora said, stopping him with a forceful hoof. “This portal acts more like a window than a door, it allows us to look into your world every now and then.” she looked back to Omnipotent. “He usually uses it to check up on our daughters.”

“So he knows about…” Greatsword asked gingerly,the blood rushing from his face .

“Yes,” Aurora replied with a smile. “And we could not be happier for our daughter, your brother is the finest stallion she could ever love.”

“He always was the best of us…” Greatsword said thinking about Warhammer. “I wish I was more like him.”

“You are far from perfect, Greatsword,” Aurora said turning to him. “But that’s where the beauty in existence comes from.”

“What?” Greatsword said. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Greatsword,” Aurora continued, “could you imagine if you were like my husband or myself?”

“I could only assume it would be perfect.” Greatsword answered. “Who wouldn’t want to be an alicorn?”

“You would have no need for the ones you have grown to call your friends,” Aurora replied, “though you would be perfect you would not forge bonds or become the amazing pony you are now.” she turned back to Omnipotent. “Life is supposed to be beautiful, but not easy… you need others to help you become more than you could ever be on your own.”

“It is done…” Omnipotent said, gathering the attention of the two with him. “The portal is complete.”

Greatsword rushed to the portal; once he arrived he saw a sight that he only saw in his nightmares. Canterlot, the shining gem of Equestria, was nothing more than rubble and flame. He turned to Omnipotent with worry in his eyes.

“Is everypony alright?” he said, “Are they still alive?”

“Words cannot describe my feelings as I gaze upon this truly terrifying sight,” Omnipotent said misty eyed, “but I do feel the presence of life, more than likely those who were with you when you were betrayed.”

“Then focus on them!” Greatsword yelled. “We need to save them!”

The portal zoomed into the smoldering city, until it stopped in front of the castle. It was there that Greatsword saw the group staring into the sky. He looked closely counting the ponies there, his eyes widened when he realized that one particular pony was missing.

“Where’s Princess Celestia?” he asked. Omnipotent and Aurora’s legs bucked, falling to the floor the two winced in unconceivable pain. “What? What’s wrong?!”

“I-I can’t feel my daughter’s presence…” Omnipotent said, a tear falling from his eye.

“She’s gone…” Aurora said heartbroken, “Celestia is gone…”

“No…” Greatsword said, “Not HER…”

“It is the only explanation for her absence…” Omnipotent said, “and I know who did it…” the portal turned to the direction the group was looking towards, showing a massive serpentine monster, “Destruction… he must have murdered Dante as well, for I do not fell his presence either.”

“How the hell can I get back now?!” Greatsword cried, “THEY NEED ME!”

“There is still a part of Dante among them…” Omnipotent said the portal focused on a single pony in the group.

“Derpy?” Greatsword said, “What in Equestria does-” a silvery object in Derpy’s hooves caught his eye. He strained to get a better look at what it was and after a few moments his eyes shot open again. “I-is… That…”

“A dragon heart…” Omnipotent said, “Dante must have given it to her before he passed.”

“Get her to put it in me!” Greatsword said, “I’m needed more than ever before!”

“Again, Greatsword…” Omnipotent said, “It is NOT that simple…”

“Derpy!” Battleaxe yelled to her, “we NEED Dante’s heart!” His call seemed to fall on deaf ears; Derpy was still cradling the heart that Dante had given her in her hooves. “Derpy!” Battleaxe shouted even louder. “If you don’t give us his heart then everything that Dante did was for nothing!”

Derpy looked over to Battleaxe, a lone tear falling from her crossed eyes. After a few more moments of looking at the heart in grief, she flew over to Battleaxe. She stopped right in front of him and with tears in her eyes looked to the fallen pegasus at Battleaxes’ hooves.

“It’s now or never, Derpy…” Battleaxe said, “This is our only chance.”

“Dante…” Derpy whimpered fighting her tears. “I’ll always love you…”

She took the piece of Dante’s heart and placed it into the hole in Greatsword’s chest. The ponies there watched in awe as the wound healed around the heart, like he had never been stabbed in the first place. They watched eagerly, hoping that he would pop back up instantly, but after a few moments they knew something was wrong.

“I-it’s not working…” Battleaxe said in shock. “WHY THE HELL IS IT NOT WORKING!” he grabbed his brother’s body and shook the limp pile violently, “GREATSWORD!” he yelled, “GREATSWORD COME BACK TO ME!” but it was no use he let go of the body and it fell limp to the ground, Greatsword was still gone.

“It didn’t work…” Greatsword said, “How didn’t work?”

“As I told you Greatsword,” Omnipotent said in a heavy tone. “It’s NOT that simple…” he looked away from the portal for a few moments, “Though Derpy is pure of heart, that is only half of what is required to bring back one from the grips of death.”

“What else do they need?” Greatsword asked frantically, “the heart already healed my wounds… I NEED to go back!”

“It’s not what THEY need, Greatsword,” Aurora said as Omnipotent turned back to the portal. “It’s what you need.”

“What?” Greatsword asked, “What I need?” he looked at Aurora with great confusion. “I NEED to get back there to save Equestria! THAT’S what I need!”

“We know you need to do that,” Aurora said calmly, “but what you need most is a reason-”

“WHAT BETTER REASON IS THERE THAN TO SAVE EQUESTRIA?!” Greatsword roared, “IS THAT NOT REASON ENOUGH?!”

“You need a reason to live…” Aurora said gently covering Greatsword with one of her wings.

“A reason to live?” Greatsword asked, “But… I do have a reason to live again… I need to-”

“No…” Aurora said, “The only way for you to return is to have a reason to live for the rest of your life, a reason so true… reason that would remain until the end of time.”

“Dante must have died before he could fully explain the working of a dragon’s heart… I will do what I can to try to make them see.” his horn began to glow even brighter. “I only hope that at least one hears my calls.”

“No, no, no, no… NO!” Battleaxe roared, “You’re supposed to be back! We put the heart in you!”

Twilight softly placed her hoof on Battleaxe’s shoulder, in an attempt to calm him down. “Maybe were missing something,” she said, “maybe Dante didn’t tell us-”

“YOU THINK?!” Battleaxe snapped. Twilight jumped back from him, surprised at the sudden anger that came to him. Once he realized what he had done he quickly wrapped her up in his hooves, “I’m sorry Twilight…” he said with tears running down his face, “I didn’t mean to-”

“It’s ok, Battleaxe…” Twilight said returning the embrace. “I know how you feel about this…”

“There’s got to be some reason it’s not working…” Spike said looking over Greatsword’s body.

Upon hearing those words one pony in the groups ears instantly perked up. Fluttershy rushed past the group surrounding the body, everypony present looked to her with great shock, none of them had ever seen her behave in such a manor.

“Wha-what did you say?” she asked Spike meekly.

“There’s gotta be some reason it’s not working.” Spike repeated, with a look of confusion on his face.

“Th-that’s it!” she said grabbing Greatsword’s body. “He needs a reason to come back!”

“WHAT?!” Battleaxe said turning his attention to Fluttershy, he looked at his brother’s body then to Fluttershy again, “By Celestia, you’re right…” he said shaking his head, “how could I’ve been so blind.” Battleaxe rushed to Fluttershy’s side and looked to his brother, “Ok… a reason to live… I need to give him a reason to live…”

“YOU DID IT!” Greatsword yelled excitedly. “You actually did it!” his celebration was cut short by the silence of the two alicorns, “What’s wrong?” he asked. “You got one of them to realize what they had to do.”

“I didn’t even attempt to try to send my influence,” Omnipotent said turning to Greatsword. “The one called Fluttershy came to the realization on her own.”

“How is that even possible?” Greatsword asked. “I thought you found a way to make them realize that I needed a reason to live.”

“Perhaps there is something more to her…” Omnipotent said looking to the mare in his portal. “Perhaps the bond she has forged with you expands far beyond the grips of death…”

“But that would mean…” Greatsword said looking to the portal.

“Yes…” Omnipotent said with a smile, “she does…”

Battleaxe and the others surrounded Greatsword’s body. He leaned close to his fallen brother’s ear and spoke into it. “Greatsword…” he said, “Equestria needs you, so get your sorry ass up and help us save it.”

He stepped back and waited, hoping what he said would bring his brother back to life, but after a few tense moments there was no reaction. He walked back to the body and began to shake it violently.

“COME ON BRO!” he yelled, “I gave you a reason to come back!” Greatsword’s body just flopped limply around in his hooves. “What better reason to come back than to save Equestria?!”

“I-I don’t think that’s a good enough reason…” Fluttershy said placing her hoof on Battleaxe’s shoulder. She looked at him with knowing eyes; Battleaxe nodded and placed Greatsword’s body at her hooves.

She lowered herself to him and leaned very close to his ear. The others tried to listen to what she said but she was so soft spoken that they only saw her lips move. The moment she pulled away Greatsword’s body instantly tensed up and began to float midair.

“ERAH!” Greatsword yelled falling to his knees and clinching his chest, “What’s… what’s happening to me?!”

“Your soul is returning…” Aurora said, “Somepony gave you a reason to live.”

“It’s hurts…” Greatsword groaned, writhing in pain. “It didn’t hurt this much the first time…”

“That’s because you weren’t here.” Omnipotent said, turning to him, “it is far more painful for your soul to return from this plane of existence.”

“I will endure any pain to save what I love…” Greatsword grimaced, his eyes fixed on the portal.

Then Omnipotent’s legs buckled again. Aurora ran to his side, “Omnipotent!” she said, “What’s the matter?”

Omnipotent looked up to her and smiled, “Our daughter…” he said looking to Gaia, “our daughter is-”

Before Greatsword could hear him finish his statement, Greatsword roared in agony as a blinding light surrounded him and in a flash he was gone. He opened his eyes to see a shattered city and his brothers and friends around him. He tried to rise but he quickly fell back to the ground, but he was quickly caught by Battleaxe and Fluttershy.

“Greatsword!” Battleaxe said squeezing him as tightly as he could. “You’re back!”

Greatsword tried to speak, but between just returning from the grave and Battleaxe’s embrace. It was impossible for him to utter a single word. Battleaxe realized what he was doing and quickly released him. They took a step back from him and saw him rise then after a few moments, he spoke.

“It’s… it’s good to be back…” he growled.

“I know the two of you are having a moment…” Long Shot said, looking at the three in the middle of the group, “but don’t you three need to stop Destruction from tearing our world apart.”

The three looked at one another and then to the bleeding sky. Destruction, though in the middle of ripping Equestria apart, paused and turned to the group. The look on his face turned to one of pure anger.

“The weapon reformed, my bane returned…” his crest began to emit its dark magic, “but it matters little, for now this world will still burn!” he fired a blast of his magic towards the group.

An explosion of apocalyptic proportions concentrated itself around the group. The smoke and flame around the blast area bellowed from the crater, Destruction looked upon the scene and smiled. “Is the last hope of this land truly this easily defeated?” he laughed, “if only that fool were still here, he may have stood a bit longer…” Then the smoke and fire cleared the three floating in midair while the rest of the group looked to them in awe.

“You really think that you could win that easily?” Battleaxe asked, a deviant smirk plastered on his face.

“Again you underestimate the defenders of this land…” Warhammer added. “And again it will cost you.”

“You cannot stop me!” Destruction roared. “I have grown more powerful than ever!” he slashed at the group, but a royal blue aura blocked him from hitting any of them.

“You are not the only one who has grown stronger, Destruction…” Greatsword said, he then opened his eyes they were glowing like the brightest of sapphires, “and with the strength of my brothers and I and elements of honor, we will finish what Omnipotent started six thousand years ago. We’re going to kill you.”

PreviousChapters Next