• Published 23rd Jun 2013
  • 2,272 Views, 129 Comments

The Elements of Honor - Flanagan



The story of three stallions and their journey to fine their true destiny, rated Teen for blood, gore, sexual innuendos and language

  • ...
6
 129
 2,272

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 34: Spending Time Together

The day started early for everypony, for today was the first mail call they had received in nearly a month. Greatsword, Warhammer, Battleaxe and the others stood in front of town hall waiting patiently for the mail pony to deliver what they had in their bag. While waiting for the mail to arrive, Battleaxe noticed Spike, Twilight and Rarity making their way to the Town Hall.

“Hey there you three…” he said. “It’s good to see you again. How did you two get Spike to wake up this early?”

“Rarity’s going back home today.” Spike said. “And it’s my duty to insure that she is safe on her trip back.”

“You’re such a genteledrake,” Rarity said looking at Spike. “I thank you for your willingness to assist me at a moment’s notice, but I think I can handle a small walk, darling.”

Spike’s face went a shade of red when Rarity said the word darling. “S-she just called me ‘darling’…” he said under his breath to Twilight, who was now standing next to Battleaxe.

“She calls everypony ‘darling’ Spike…” Twilight said rolling her eyes, “I doubt she means anything by it.”

“Hey, you don’t know that,” Spike said. “I think since I’ve grown, she’s really starting to dig me.” Spike looked over to Rarity, who was making idle chat with Lug Nut and Patches.

“You didn’t tell him what happened between her and Greatsword did you?” Battleaxe asked Twilight.

“Oh, Celestia no,” Twilight said, turning a little red, “THAT would have been a heart crusher to him, even if it were under those circumstances. How did you know about that?”

“I can be a bit nosey at times,” he explained grinning, “ESPECIALLY if I see my brother carrying a sleeping unicorn across town to the library.”

“Oh…uh… right… It would be kinda hard to NOT notice that minor detail.”

“Yeah…” Battleaxe said moving closer to her, “REALLY hard to notice.” he looked over to Rarity and Spike, “I guess you found a reversal to that bastard’s spell?”

“Oh yes, Princess Celestia referred me to some herbs that might help,” Twilight explained. “And my friend Zecora was more than happy to provide me with them once I explained the situation.”

“Well, that’s a relief,” Battleaxe said, looking up to the sky. “Oh look, the mail’s here.”

Everypony looked to the sky to see a single pony with overloaded saddle bags flying towards them. Several letters flew out of the bags as the pony started to slow her descent to the ground. Twilight squinted her eyes to see if she could identify the pony that was quickly approaching them, once she realized who it was her eyes widened and her jaw dropped.

“Oh no…” Twilight said.

“What’s the matter?” Battleaxe said, “Do you know the mail mare?”

“Yes…” she said, backing away slowly, “EVERYPONY TAKE COVER!”

Twilight sprinted under a nearby bench while Spike grabbed Rarity and shielded her with his body. The other ponies had no idea what was going on until they turned their attention back to the mail pony, who hadn’t slowed down at all. They tried to take cover but it was too late.

CRASH! The mail pony slammed into the group standing on the patio. Once the dust settled, it showed everypony tangled up in a massive pile. Only the mail pony was unaffected by the crash, she was sitting on top of the pile.

“Oops, I’m sorry everypony.” she said, “I just don’t know what went wrong.”

“Derpy Hooves,” Twilight said, crawling out from under the bench, “you’re back form college.”

“Well, yeah I am.” Derpy said, “Why else would I be back?”

“What did you major in again?” Twilight asked, “It’s been so long since anypony has seen you.”

“Well, I got a bachelor in sociology, chemical engineering, Economics, Biology…” Derpy said rather proudly. “And I got a doctorate in theoretical physics.”

“Wow… you must’ve been very busy,” Twilight said.

“Nah, all that was easy,” Derpy said. “Oh yeah, I got mail for you!”

Derpy rooted around her saddlebags for everypony’s mail and began to pass it out. Derpy made her way down the line until she came to the three. Once she looked at them she dropped the mail in her hooves.

“Oh my gosh! It’s YOU!” Derpy exclaimed, suddenly hugging Greatsword.

“Do I know you? Because I’ve never seen you in my life.” Greatsword said awkwardly while the ponies around him stared at the two.

“Of course you do!” Derpy said happily, “Well, at least you did, according to him…” Derpy turned away preparing to fly off, “Don’t leave, I’m gonna go tell him you‘re here right now… I’ll be back.” Derpy said vanishing into the clouds.

“What was that all about?” Battleaxe asked.

“I don’t know…” Twilight said. “But she’s always been like that.”

“Oddities aside, let’s get the day started.” Greatsword said. “We got new ponies to train anyway.”

The others nodded in agreement and made their way back inside the town hall, where an unexpected visitor was waiting with a basket full of balloons and envelopes. “Hi everypony!” Pinkie exclaimed. “Are ya doing anything special today?”

“How did she even get in here?” Lug Nut asked. “We were right outside the whole time.”

“It’s just Pinkie,” Patches said with a smile. “We’ve been here for over a month; you should’ve accepted it by now.”

“She’s not a unicorn…” Lug Nut muttered. “She has to do it somehow other than magic, and I’ll find out… even if it kills me.”

“I doubt that…” Patches said rolling her eyes. “Now just-“

“Here you go Patches!” Pinkie said handing her one of the envelopes. “I hope you can make it!”

“Make what?”

“Well you gotta open the envelope silly!” Pinkie replied happily passing out the other envelops.

Patches examined the envelope momentarily, but then she unwrapped the package, revealing a small piece of paper. After skimming over it she looked back to Pinkie who was right back in her face. “So are ya gonna make it?”

“Pinkie…” she began. “We’re still working… I don’t think we can make it to a picnic this afternoon.”

Pinkie’s hair suddenly went flat, and her eyes suddenly began to water. “Oh… ok…” she sniffed a little. “I’ve just seen you around town, you look so sad all the time. I thought a nice afternoon with your friends would be nice for you.”

“That’s very kind of you.” Patches said. “But-“

“It’s just an introductory meeting, Patches,” Battleaxe said. “I’m sure we could find some time, if we can convince Greatsword.”

Pinkie’s hair puffed up again and in an instant she was right in front of Greatsword, her eyes wide and her lip stuck out. “Can all of you come to my picnic?” She asked, her pupils doubling in size. “Please?”

Greatsword stared right back into her eyes, seemingly unphased by her puppy eyes. Then out of the corner of his eye he saw Battleaxe nodding with a small smirk. Letting out a deep breath, he revealed his answer.

“I guess a few hours couldn’t hurt,” He said shrugged. “We’ll be there at 1730 shar-“

“OH THAT’S PERFECT!” Pinkie said suddenly wrapping her hooves around his neck. “We’ll have so much fun!”

In an instant Pinkie darted back into town, leaving the others staring in the direction she’d ran off in. after a few moments of silence Greatsword finally spoke up.

“Well, we should get ready…” he said looking to the others. “We’re meeting the new recruits in thirty minutes.”

The others nodded and went back inside. After the introductions were done, the group made their way to the hill Pinkie had specified, but there was something amiss.

“Where is everypony?” Battleaxe asked. “Didn’t you say we’d be here at 1730?”

“I did…” Greatsword said. “And it’s 1730.”

“Maybe the others remembered they had previous engagements,” Lug Nut said. “I mean I forget things all the time, I’m sure that’s why they’re not here… let’s just head back to town and get ready for the next day.”

“I’m sure there’s a reason for them not being here yet…” Patches said looking round. “Maybe if we wait for a few more minutes.”

“Or we could just go back home…” Lug Nut said pointing back to town. “It’s just-“

“YOU’RE HERE!” Pinkie exclaimed hopping from out of the horizon.
“Right there…” Lug Nut said disappointedly.
“I’m so glad all of you could make it!” Pinkie said plopping down right next to Patches. “Especially you!” Pinkie wrapped Patches up in her forelegs, turning the scene into a rather awkward moment for Patches.
“Uh… thanks…” Patches said gently pushing Pinkie Pie away from her. “Glad to see you so happy.”
“Well yeah!” Pinkie said pulling a quilt out of nowhere. “I love being happy! But what I love more is making others happy!”
Just then the Pinkie’s other friends appeared over the hill, all caring their own individual baskets and boxes. The 1025th looked to all of them with some confusion, then Pinkie’s head lowered to the ground.
“Oh, I’m sorry…” she said apologetically. “I was supposed to tell you that you were supposed to bring something for the picnic…”
“Of course…” Lug Nut said slamming his hoof into his face. “Why wouldn’t you forget THAT detail.”
“Lug Nut, leave her alone…” Battleaxe said making his way to Twilight. “I’m sure it just slipped her mind.”
“That’s not the only thing that’s slipped…” Lug Nut grumbled.
“We’ll be fine without food…” Warhammer said. “It’s just nice to be among friends for a while.”
“Couldn’t agree with ya more little bro…” Battleaxe said sitting down next to Twilight. “But it would be nice to have something to eat…” he said reaching for his grumbling stomach, “I’m starving…”
“I brought plenty for everypony.” Twilight said grabbing a daffodil and tomato sandwich from her basket, “Do you want one?”
“Twilight I love you.” Battleaxe said looking to Twilight.
“What?!” Twilight exclaimed with her face turning red.
“Daffodil and tomato is my favorite kind,” Battleaxe said grabbing the sandwich. “Don’t know what I’d do without you.”
“Oh…” Twilight said fanning herself. “You were talking about the sandwich… just the sandwich… well your welcome.”
“Do you think I should tell them?” Warhammer said nudging Greatsword as he pointed to the two.
“I think they’ll find out soon enough…” Greatsword said nodding. “How’s Luna been doing?” Warhammer gritted his teeth and took a deep breath. He was still enraged from the night before when the shadow showed him the horrible memory. “Warhammer?” Greatsword asked. “Are you doing ok?”
“I’m fine, Greatsword…” Warhammer growled. “I just remembered something I don’t particularly wish to remember.”
“If you say so…” Greatsword said just before he felt something brush against his flak. He turned to face what it was that touched him, only to see a sea of pick blowing into his face.
“Oh… I’m sorry Greatsword…” Fluttershy said holding her mane down. “I didn’t mean to-“
“It’s fine Fluttershy.” Greatsword said, holding back a sneeze. “It’s pretty windy today as it is.”
“I-I guess your right…” Fluttershy said with a smile. “Do you want something to eat?”
“What?”
“Are you hungry?” Fluttershy asked reaching into her basket. “I brought plenty of celery and peanut butter.”
“You’re very kind Fluttershy…” Greatsword said. “But I’ll be alright.”
“If you say so…” Fluttershy said grabbing a celery stalk. “If you want any let me know.”
Greatsword nodded and turned his attention back to the others. The group was truly enjoying themselves, even Lug Nut had loosened up from his initial reaction. But what got Greatsword the most was Patches, she was actually smiling, not a fake smile like she had been, but a real genuine smile. It had been almost four months since Comet had died, but Patches was adjusting to what had happened. Greatsword looked back to Fluttershy and shook his head, if she’s ready to move on, he thought, maybe I should try too.
“Fluttershy…” Greatsword said placing his hoof on her shoulder. “I think I’ll take a few celery sticks.”
“Oh, ok…” Fluttershy replied with a smile, reaching into her basket. “Here you go.”
“Thanks…” Greatsword replied. “When’s the next time you need help with those critters?”
“Oh, I wouldn’t want you to think you need to help me.”
“I know you can take care of yourself… but maybe an extra hoof would be nice to have.”
“I wouldn’t hurt…” Fluttershy said rubbing her chin. “How does Saturday at eight sound?”
“I’ll be there…” Greatsword said nodding his head.
“Hey…” Battleaxe said tapping Warhammer’s side. “Hey little bro… look at that.”
Warhammer pointed to where Battleaxe was pointing to see Greatsword and Fluttershy talking to one another. Warhammer smiled and looked back to his brother.
“It seems that our brother is actually starting to make friends.” He said nodding, “This will be good for him, if any of these ponies could bring him peace, it would be her.”
“Big bro’s gotta marefriend.” Battleaxe said patting Warhammer on the shoulder.
“I believe it’s far from that Battleaxe.” Warhammer said. “Fluttershy seems willing to help bring him to peace, nothing more.”
“If you say so, little bro…” Battleaxe said rolling his eyes. “But I think they look good together, the ultimate opposites attract… I mean, our big bro, a cold, hard, angry militant and Fluttershy, a quiet, timid, kind peace lover… I can just-“
“That’s enough, Battleaxe…” Warhammer said, covering Battleaxe’s mouth. “I think we’d all appreciate you not trying to force a relationship on two ponies who clearly don’t want one.”
“Ok… ok…” Battleaxe said batting Warhammer’s hoof away. “How bout we just eat?”
“Indeed…” Warhammer said looking back to the two.
He was lying of course, Warhammer could see that Greatsword was reaching out to her, and for some unknown reason, she was reaching out to him. Could it be possible? He thought, is she the one who has haunted his mind for so long? His thoughts were cut short by Battleaxe tossing him a sandwich. Now wasn’t the time to think like that anyway, there were other matters that they had to attend to. The group finished the picnic and went on with their lives, but little did they know, future events would change not only the courses of their lives but the fate of Equestria as well.

PreviousChapters Next