• Published 23rd Jun 2013
  • 2,281 Views, 129 Comments

The Elements of Honor - Flanagan



The story of three stallions and their journey to fine their true destiny, rated Teen for blood, gore, sexual innuendos and language

  • ...
6
 129
 2,281

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 31: He was Never Alone

“Wake up,” a voice whispered into Greatsword’s ear. “Hey buddy, wake up.” Greatsword’s eyes shot open. Only one pony ever called him ‘buddy’. “Comet?” he asked.

“Uh, yeah,” Comet said to Greatsword, “Who else calls you ‘buddy’?”

“Is this a dream?” Greatsword said, looking around, “Why am I here?”

“Well, buddy…” Comet said, looking to the ground, “You’re kinda dead…”

“What?!” Greatsword yelled, “I-I’m… dead?”

“Why else would you be talking to me?” Comet asked, pointing to the pony behind him. “And why else would SHE be here?”

Greatsword gazed upon the figure beside him, his jaw dropped at what he saw. “Record Keeper…”

“It’s been a while hasn’t it, Greatsword?” Record Keeper said, making her way to Comet’s side.

“Why am I dead?” Greatsword asked.

Comet laughed a little at the question, “Even YOU can only withstand so much, buddy.”

“Getting large chunks of your flesh ripped out of you can be quite hazardous to your health, love, but now you can be with us,” Record Keeper walked even closer to Greatsword. “You can be with us forever.”

“You’re NOT Record Keeper.” Greatsword growled.

“Oh whatever do you mean?” Record Keeper asked, “I’ve always talked like this… don’t you remember?”

“Record Keeper wouldn’t say something like that…” Greatsword said glaring at the false Record Keeper, “Shadow…”

“Shadow?” she replied, surprised. “He killed me don’t you remember?”

“Yeah buddy,” Comet added. “She jumped off the roof and everything.”

“You were dead before she jumped off the roof.” Greatsword replied.

“Oh… about that… well… she told me when she got here,” Comet explained. “So very tragic.”

“He’s really tried to make me feel better,” Record Keeper said. “It’s like I never-“

“ENOUGH!” Greatsword roared. “What are you doing here?!”

“Well there’s no point in pretending anymore I guess…” Comet and Record Keeper said simultaneously forming into the dark alicorn. “You really are no fun…you could have at least played along for a bit longer, it would have made me feel better.”

“What do you want?” Greatsword asked him.

“Well, you aren‘t actually dead, you’re just MOSTLY dead.” The Shadow explained. “Your soul is in the space between existences now, but your body is too damn stubborn to let it go completely.”

The Shadow walked past Greatsword, looking around the vast expanse of nothing. “It’s been nearly four thousand years since I’ve been on this plane. It hasn’t changed at all, still pretty much a void, but when I saw that you were here. I just had to give you a little visit.”

“Don’t expect me to be flattered…” Greatsword said glaring at the shadow.

“I don’t…” The Shadow smiled. “But you should have company here soon, that Scoot-loo pony will be making her way here in a few minutes or so.”

“NO!” Greatsword yelled. “I saved her!”

“Again Greatsword, you were too late…” the shadow said, grinning. “Another pony is dead because of you, it almost just makes you want to let go all together doesn’t it?”

“You’re a liar,” Greatsword said. “She’s alive… I can feel it.”

“The out of body experience is strong with this one,” The Shadow joked. “Well I’m bored now. No reason to keep you ‘round here anymore.”

“What are you talking about?”

“I’m sending you back.”

“What?!”

“You’re too much fun to go out in this fashion,” The Shadow said summoning a dark thrown to sit in. “Plus there’s still plenty of things I have planned for everypony in your little group, so you get to go home… but don’t worry, I’ll see you again soon enough.”

The shadow waved as Greatsword fell from whatever he was standing on. His eyes shot open again, looking around for a few moments he realized he woke up in a hospital bed. Three ponies were sitting at his bed side.

“Welcome back to the world of the living, bro.” Battleaxe said smiling. Warhammer just nodded. The third pony remained quiet. Battleaxe softly patted her on the head. “Fluttershy here never left your side for the past week. She barely ate or slept the whole time.”

Fluttershy’s eyes slowly opened as Battleaxe’s hoof lifted off her head. She looked around for a short time before casting her eyes on Greatsword. She let out a sigh of relief and smiled. “Are you feeling any better?” she asked softly

“I’m alive, I’ve got that going for me.” Greatsword replied, Battleaxe and Warhammer chuckled at his joke.

“F-for a while the doctors thought you weren’t going to make it.” Fluttershy said cringing at the thought. “Timber wolf bites almost always lead to horrible infections.”

“That’s good to know.” Greatsword smiled at Fluttershy, sheepishly hiding herself behind her mane. “I’m glad that you two got me here, last time I remember I was passing out on her couch.”

“Actually, Fluttershy made sure we were able to get you here,” Battleaxe said. “She had you pretty stable until she ran out of medication.”

“I-I take care of things in need,” Fluttershy said. “So I used the medicine I use on the little animals on you, and I stitched up your injuries.”

“And she sure can sow.” Battleaxe said, looking to Fluttershy.

“Well thank you for taking care of me Fluttershy.” Greatsword said, looking impressed.

“Y-you’re welcome…” Fluttershy squeaked.

“Well, we better check up on Scootaloo.” Battleaxe said giving Warhammer a nudge on the shoulder. “Coming little bro?” Warhammer nodded and the two left the room, leaving only Greatsword, Fluttershy and the heart monitor inside.

“How is Scootaloo?” Greatsword asked, concerned. “The last I saw her see was delirious.”

“Oh, uh… She’ll be completely checked out in about an hour.” Fluttershy said. “You saved her life.”

“Thank Celestia,” Greatsword said relieved, “I was worried about her.”

“I-I remember,” Fluttershy said. “You even said that you didn’t matter.”

“I didn’t matter at the time, she needed her life saved.” Greatsword said.

“Why would you say that you didn’t matter?” Fluttershy asked.

“I was more concerned with the life that was worth living,” Greatsword answered. “Not my own.”

“Why do you feel that way?” she asked.

“Five years ago I lost everything that made my life worth it.” Greatsword said. “Now I live my life keeping lives worth living safe.”

Fluttershy stared at him for some time after what he said and he stared back. They both sat there doing nothing more, nothing less, until Fluttershy spoke again.

“How does Long Shot know Scootaloo?” she asked.

“I don’t know, Fluttershy,” Greatsword responded. “Did you ask him?”

“Oh no, but he’s stopped by from time to time walking from her room to the cafeteria and back.” Fluttershy said.

“Never knew Long Shot to be the one to stay around hospitals for a long time, she must’ve been something special during training to keep him around. But I should get back to sleep, I need rest after what I‘ve been through.”

“Oh, alright, I guess,” Fluttershy said as Greatsword closed his eyes and went back to sleep.

Battleaxe and Warhammer walked into Scootaloo’s room, Long Shot was helping her get her things together so they could leave. “Hey you two,” Battleaxe said, catching them both off guard. “Need any help getting everything ready to go?”

“No Battleaxe, but thank you,” Long Shot said, smiling. “This is good father daughter bonding time.”

“So the test come back positive.” Battleaxe grinned.

“Ninety eight percent match.” Long Shot said, patting Scootaloo on the head. “And matching blood types to boot.”

“If it weren’t for that I might not be leaving today,” Scootaloo smiled at Long Shot, “Thanks Dad.”

“I’m just trying to make up for lost time.” Long Shot replied.

“No doubt it was rough at the start,” Battleaxe said. “Thinking you’re an orphan, then your dad pops out of nowhere.”

“Yeah it was,” Scootaloo said. “But he explained everything to me and I’m not going to shut him out if he’s trying to be here now.”

“You have no idea how much that means to me Scootaloo.” Long Shot said, tearing up.

“Aw, Dad!” Scootaloo exclaimed. “Don’t get all gushy on me in front of the others!” everypony in the room laughed.

“Well it’s good to see that you have one another.” Warhammer said. “It’s more than some have in their entire lives.”

Twilight walked into Greatsword’s room, when she saw that Fluttershy was still there she shook her head. “Fluttershy,” she said. “You really should get something to eat. He’s ok now after all.” Twilight sat at Fluttershy’s side, she was still watching over him.

“What’s with you Fluttershy?” she asked her. “You’ve never been like this with anypony or even an animal.”

“I-I don’t know Twilight,” Fluttershy answered still looking at Greatsword. “But I think I knew him before I met him…”

“What?” Twilight asked. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“When you told me his story, you said that he had no memory of who he was beyond five years.” Fluttershy said. “Well when we first made eye contact there was something about him.”

Twilight looked at Fluttershy then to Greatsword, “So you think that you’re somehow connected to his past?”

“Yes… but I’m not sure how…” Fluttershy answered. “I’ve had dreams of when I was younger, when I was in danger there was a guardian who kept me safe.”

“You think he kept you safe all those years ago?” Twilight gasped.

“I think he did far more than keep me safe,” Fluttershy said, brushing her hoof across Greatsword’s face. “I think he loved me.”

“This is news to me, Fluttershy.” Twilight said. “Why did you never tell anypony?”

“I thought they were just dreams, Twilight.” Fluttershy said. “Now I think those dreams might be real.”

The moment Fluttershy finished her statement Rarity and Rainbow Dash walked into the room. The two ponies stood opposite of Twilight and Fluttershy all of them looking at the sleeping stallion. Rarity took a deep breath and leaned close to his side.

“He’s quite handsome when he’s sleeping…” she said. “I wonder what he’s dreaming about?”

“Does it even matter?” Rainbow said rolling her eyes at Rarity. “I don’t even know how you talked me into coming.”

“He nearly died, Dash,” Rarity said, slightly shocked. “You could at least be a little bit grateful that he saved your little friend.”

“He did save Scootaloo…” Rainbow said looking at him with a small amount of guilt. “I guess he deserves credit for that.”

“Of course he does,” Rarity said. “I wish I could give him something as a reward for such an action.”

“You could make him a suit.” Twilight said, offering a suggestion.

“Twilight, darling, you are a genius!” Rarity said wrapping her forelegs around Twilight, “I know my visit was short, but be sure to tell him that I was here and that once he’s released to stop by my boutique for his reward.” Rarity ran out the door, leaving the other three inside with odd looks on their faces.

“Why are you really here, Rainbow?” Twilight asked. “I know you didn’t come here just to say ‘hi‘.”

Rainbow Dash shot a glance at Twilight then continued to stare at Greatsword. “When I came to see him two days ago, his entire body was completely broken,” Rainbow explained. “He gave so much to save Scootaloo and he barely knew her. Then I realized that he probably gave even more to try to save Comet.” A tear trickled down Rainbow’s face. “I know now that he did everything and more to try to save him, I came to say I was sorry. Sorry for blaming him for what happened.”

“I’m sure he’ll accept your apology when he wakes later, Dash.” Twilight said. “You’re more than welcome to stay with us if you like.”

“I think I will, Twilight,” Rainbow Dash said wiping the stray tears away from her face. “I think I will.”

Soon after, Battleaxe and Warhammer walked in to check on their brother. They saw the other three watching over him and smiled. Taking their place by them they continued to watch him dream, what about only he knew.

The five ponies stayed past visiting hours, falling asleep in Greatsword’s room. Greatsword was the first to wake in the morning and the first thing he saw was a long pink mane splayed across his face. He softly brushed the mane away from his eyes to see Fluttershy’s head resting on his shoulder. Greatsword smiled. She had a soothing effect on him, almost like his worries could be let go of for a moment if he looked at her sleeping peacefully. He closed his eyes again and went back to sleep.

Battleaxe woke up as the sun shined its light in his eyes. When he went to raise his hoof to block the unwanted light it was met with a great deal of resistance. Battleaxe opened his eyes to see a deep purple mane inches away from him, Twilight somehow managed to scoot her way nearly on top of him while they were sleeping. He fought the urge to throw her off of him as he tried to find a way to get out from under her without waking her up.

After a few minutes of adjusting and controlling a very hard thing to control in the mornings anyway, Battleaxe was left with no other choice. “Uh, Twilight…” he said awkwardly, “Twilight, wake up.”

Twilight slowly opened her eyes once she saw that Battleaxe’s steel colored eyes were a mere inches away from her own, she jumped into the air in shock.

“WAHH!” she yelped before falling back onto Battleaxe. The two fell onto the ground rolling over one another until they were pretty much the same position they had started in.

“Twilight…” Battleaxe said.

“Yes Battleaxe.” Twilight said calmly.

“Do you know what’s going on right now?” he asked.

“No, I don’t,” she said, “care to explain?”

Battleaxe pointed to their foreheads, “Our horns are touching…” he said

Twilight looked up, and sure enough her horn was crossed with his. Twilight quickly jumped off of Battleaxe, her cheeks a deep red, “I can’t believe that just happened…”

“Usually I have to get a few drinks in a mare before I get THAT far…” Battleaxe said, smiling deviantly.

Twilight punched Battleaxe in the shoulder her face turning an even deeper red. “That’s not funny…” she said.

“Oh come on, Twilight,” Battleaxe said, still smiling at her. “You know you liked it.”

Twilight’s face grew as red as a chili pepper, “Well I-” she tried to think of what to say, but as much as she hated to admit it, she knew he was right. “That’s NOT the point!”

Battleaxe began to laugh so hard that he woke up the other sleeping ponies. All of them looked in confusion at the two, Battleaxe was still laughing and if Twilight could turn anymore red she would have. Rainbow Dash smiled to herself, waiting for Twilight to try to explain her way out of the situation that she had somehow got herself into.

PreviousChapters Next