• Published 23rd Jun 2013
  • 2,280 Views, 129 Comments

The Elements of Honor - Flanagan



The story of three stallions and their journey to fine their true destiny, rated Teen for blood, gore, sexual innuendos and language

  • ...
6
 129
 2,280

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 43: Traitors

The group ran to the sight of the crash, what they saw they could not believe. Dante and Smog had taken their battle to the ground; each dragon sported massive wounds whether they be by fang, claw or flame. The two giants continued to slash and bite into one another, filling the crater with deep pools of red and black blood. Of those who looked on in awe, there was one truly unsettled by the event.

“Dante…” Derpy said with misty eyes, slowly making her towards the two dragons her wings outstretched, but Greatsword stopped her.

“Derpy don’t….” he said, holding her back. “He can do it.”

“DANTE!” Derpy cried reaching her hoof out to the dragon.

Smog slashed Dante across the face, sending the titan to the ground. Laying there motionless Smog’s shadow stood over Dante, preparint to deliver what might be the last blow of their fight. Greatsword did his best to shield Derpy’s eyes from the scene, but he was too late, the poor pegasus had seen everything.

“NO!” she cried, gaining the attention of Smog.

Smog turned around ready to send a ball of flame intended for Dante towards the group instead, but before he could Dante ran his own claw went through Smog’s chest cavity. Dante’s foe fell to his knees, spilling black flame and rotted blood into the crater. Holding tightly Dante ripped Smog’s arms clean off, now flailing uncontrolablly, Smog tried to unleash his flame upon Dante, only to engulf himself in the fires. Now a struggling, burning mass Dante threw one of his claws into the neck of his opponent, holding him in place.

“This will end it!” he roared stabbing his free claw into the base of Smog’s skull. Smog Roared, frantically struggling to free himself form Dante’s hold, but with one last draconic roar of power, Dante tore Smog’s head off. He threw the severed, still snapping head into the air and fired a large ball of flame at it, ending the battle in a emmence ball of flame. After a few moments to catch his breath, he rose to hus hind legs, roaring in victory.

“Sweet Celestia…” Lug Nut said, ogling at the scene. “That son of a bitch actually-”

Lug Nut’s comment was quickly ended by a broken horn running though his chest. “Rule number one…” The Shadow said laughing hysterically. “NEVER turn your back on an opponent, no matter how cool the show in front of you is…”

“NO!” Long Shot yelled reaching for his crossbow, but the shadow teleported away before he could get a clear shot.

Long Shot, Commander Garrison and Patches ran to their fallen friend. Lug Nut was doing his best to hold the contents of his chest cavity inside, but to no avail. Princess Celestia then flew into the group of ponies, angrily looking in all directions.

“Where is that monster?” she said looking around. “That coward ran in the middle of battle.”

Her attention was then sent to the small crowd not far from where she was standing and she finally saw Lug Nut, coughing up blood and holding his still beating heart in his hooves. The sight sickened her to see it, but what truly made her tear up were the reaction of Long Shot and Patches, both pulling out gear from patches bags, hoping they would find something that could help . The Princess Quickly looked to Patches, who was feverishly working on him to save his life. She placed her hoof on Patches shoulder and sadly shook her head. “Not even I could heal such a traumatic wound…” Princess Celestia said with misty eyes.

“B-but… but…” Patches whimpered, looking to Lug Nut still trying to breath.

“I refuse to die…” Lug Nut said between bloody coughs. “Not… until… Pinkie Pie…. Tells me how she does it…”

The group looked to Pinkie, who looked back at all of them then to Lug Nut. “Oh…” she said walking to him. “Do you promise not to tell anypony?”

“I promise…” Lug Nut said looking at her and smiling.

“Pinkie promise?” she asked making a gesture over her heart and placing her hoof over her watery eyes.

“Pinkie promise…” Lug Nut repeated doing the same gesture.

“Oh… ok…” Pinkie said. Then she drew close to his ear and whispered something into his ear.

“So… THAT’S how you do it?” Lug Nut said coughing up more blood. “It all makes since now… so… simple…” He closed his eyes and with that Lug Nut drew his last breath.

“He’s gonna pay…” Long Shot growled. “That bastard’s gonna PAY!”

“I will see to that,” Princess Celestia said taking flight again. “I still need you to cover the ground. The shadow fiends have nearly pushed every guard into the towers.”

“Understood…” Commander Garrison said. Then he turned to Shining Armor. “You better make DAMN sure he gets what he deserves.”

“You don’t have to remind me…” Shining Armor replied looking at Lug Nut’s body, Patches still cradling his lifeless, bloody body.

“We need to get to Dante!” Derpy exclaimed, tugging Greatsword’s foreleg and pointing at the dragon.

“Dante’s fine, Derpy,” Greatsword said reassuringly. “Now that he killed Smog he can help us clean out the city…”

“LOOK!” Event Horizon and Rainbow Dash yelled in unison, pointing in Dante’s direction.

Everypony looked to Dante, who seemed to have weak footing. Then with a loud crash, Dante fell to the ground, unleashing a wave of red and black around him. The battle with Smog had taken its toll on the ancient and now he looked helpless as dozens shadow fiends surrounded him. The group ran to Dante’s aide, killing any shadow fiend who tried to stop them from reaching him. Once they finally got to him, Derpy and Spike ran to his face.

“DAD!” Spike cried, placing his claw near his eye.

“DANTE!” Derpy said mimicking Spike’s gesture.

“Derpy… Spike…” Dante said growing a smile. “You both have made your father very proud…”

“WHAT?!” the group said. “Derpy’s your-”

“Daughter… Derpy is my daughter,” Dante replied Derpy and Spike on their heads. “And I love my children equally…”

“But she’s a… you know… a pony.” Battleaxe said confused, looking at Derpy.

“She found me over fifteen years ago,” Dante answered. “Over the years I grew to love her as my daughter.” He cast his gaze to the teary cross-eyed pony looking up at him. “I still don’t know how but she was able to remember you, after Destruction tried to make everything forget, I sent her to find you and bring you to me if she could.”

“Are you gonna d-die?” Spike asked with tears falling down his face.

“These wounds will heal with time, my son,” Dante replied, struggling to his feet. “Go now, I will completely recover shortly.”

The group reluctantly left Dante’s side, making their way deeper into Canterlot. They were several blocks from the castle when a wall of black magic blocked their path. Darkness enveloped the group, escape was impossible. Huddling in a circle they heard the sounds of erie laughter and soon after, The Shadow emerged from the surrounding darkness.

“There’s NO way you’ll win this…” he said laughing. “Half the guard is already dead AND your biggest gun is down.” he looked at each one of the ponies, rubbing his chin. “Now, who to kill first… decisions, desisi-”

A blast of golden magic enveloped The Shadow, causing a massive explosion. Princess Celestia landed next to the group shortly after the dust form the blast had settled. She was breathing heavily with sweat and blood pouring out of her now destroyed armor.

“That… that was one of my most powerful spells…” she said glaring to the crater. “He shouldn’t-”

A sudden blast of black and red magic fired from the crater her spell caused, heading directly to the group. Princess Celestia acted quickly; using her own body she shielded them, while taking the full brunt of the attack.

“Princess Celestia!” Twilight cried, running to the fallen Princess’s side.

“Don’t cry Twilight…” Princess Celestia said looking up to Twilight. “I’ll be-”

The shadow teleported over her placing his hoof over Princess Celestia’s mouth, “I’ve never had to work so hard to get some tail…” He said licking his lips,
“I guess that will make it feel even better, you know putting more effort into it and all....” his horn began to glow its familiar color. “I’ll be off now, but I’ll be back in fifteen minutes-”

Commander Garrison’s hoof struck the shadow directly across the face actually sending him flying a few feet before he fell to the ground. “You won’t touch her…” the Commander growled.

“Aw, did I hit on your special somepony?” The Shadow said getting up.

“Sir, this isn’t your fight!” Battleaxe yelled. “WE need to fight him, WE can KILL him!”

“You can get Princess Celestia out of here faster if I hold him off!” Commander Garrison shouted, looking back to the group. “Now RUN! That’s an order!”

They hesitated for a few seconds, but they followed the order nonetheless. The moment he saw them heading for the castle he turned his attention back to The Shadow, he was actually waving playfully towards the retreating ponies. The Commander snorted grabbing his foe’s attention and took an offensive stance.

“You know I can just teleport right?” the shadow said chucking.

“Then you’d be running away from an old grunt with back problems,” Commander Garrison grunted. “Are you really THAT scared of fighting me?”

The shadow eyes grew red with rage at the old stallion’s insult. “Fine…” he growled. “After I beat the hell out of you I’ll make you watch before I kill you both.”

The shadow and Commander Garrison stood opposite of one another, glaring intensely as they paced back and forth. Then with a lion-like roar, Commander Garrison charged the shadow. The shadow avoided his attack with ease, but was not prepared for the Commander to stop nearly on a bit and turn to fire a blast from his horn. The shadow was knocked off his hooves and fell to the ground. He rose to see Commander Garrison charging again, but this time he was ready. The shadow teleported next to Commander Garrison, grabbed him and slammed him into the side of a nearby building.

“That should be enough…” The Shadow said smiling. “Now, to find where did my date and her friends run off to?”

A blast of magic came from the hole which Commander Garrison had made, taking the shadow off guard. A single hoof rose, followed by a helmless Commander Garrison. “I didn’t get to be the special operations commander for dying easy…” he said dragging himself out of the hole.

The two continued to fight one another, magic and steel clashed as they fought on. The Shadow threw Commander Garrison into another wall, but instead of finishing him he paused to speak. “You know, Commander… you actually impress me,” he began. “Tell you what, join me and I’ll reunite you with your family and make you immortal to boot.” He approached the visibly wounded Commander trying to rise. “What do you say to that?”

Commander Garrison looked up to The Shadow, his eyes watered at the mention of his family. He imagined them standing next to him once again for a few brief moments. Then he looked up to the shadow and smiled, a single stream of blood poured out of the corner of his mouth.

“I guess that means-” The Shadow’s statement was cut short by a mixture of spit and blood splattering across his face. His eyes glowed in fury while Commander Garrison smiled at him.

“Buck you…” Commander Garrison said smiling.

He roared one last time and charged The Shadow, but his foe’s horn was already aglow with a powerful spell. The blast hit Commander Garrison directly. The Shadow’s spell tore him apart with every step, but he kept charging through his pain, knowing that every second was one used for his ponies to escape. The Shadow was amazed, a normal pony would have been ashes by now, but the Commander still kept coming. He increased his spell’s power, finally the Commander halted, raising a hoof in defiance he roared one last time before falling and becoming nothing, his armor the only reminder of his existance.

“A VERY poor choice…” the shadow growled walking away slowly before teleporting off.

“Is Princess Celestia going to be alright?” Twilight asked Patches.

“She’ll be fine,” Patches said wrapping another wound around Princess Celestia’s torso. “She may be royalty, but she can really take a beating.”

“We have been to war before, Patches,” Princess Luna said looking to her sister while she was being tended to. “We both have suffered far worse than this.”

“Indeed…” Princess Celestia said rising to her hooves, only to fall back into Greatsword and her sister’s forelegs. She rose quickly again however and looked to them. “So long as I stand I will defend my land and its inhabitants…”

“You are in no condition to go back out there, sister,” Princess Luna said, her horn aglow as dark, spiked armor covered her body. “I shall continue to lead them while you heal.”

“I don’t think that will be necessary…” Event Horizon said looking behind him. “Because The Shadow’s back.”

“DAMNIT!” the shadow said. “You spoiled the surprise!”

“Where’s Commander Garrison?” Greatsword said stepping between the shadow and the group.

The shadow rubbed his chin, “hum… well I WILL say this about his whereabouts… if his flesh was as hard as his steel, you might still have a body to bury.”

“That stallion was the closest thing I had to a father …” Greatsword growled, “You will answer for your sins.”

“At least I didn’t drop a house on him,” the shadow said chuckling, “THAT would’ve been a bit too unoriginal.”

Greatsword charged the shadow, only to be knocked into the group by the flick of The Shadow’s hoof. The three rose quickly and stood ready to fight The Shadow, but when they looked to where he once stood he was gone. Every eye in the group scowered the nearby buildings, hoping to catch a glimpse of their nemesis, but after a few quick glances a terrifying realization came to Warhammer.

“Where’s Luna?” he asked frantically looking around.

“WARHAMMER!” Princess Luna’s voice rang out. “WARHAMMER HELP-”

Her cry was cut short by a hoof pushing into her throat. “Oh please just shut the hell up…” The Shadow said holding her by the throat. “You’re ruining my the moment.”

Princess Luna whimpered as the shadow’s eyes uncomfortably gazed up and down her body. The Shadow drew close to her and licked his lips slowly. “Have I ever told you that YOU are HOT?” he said lowering his head to her abdomen. “I always loved your stomach, it’s just so...” he brushed his free hoof across her belly, “delicious…” He then placed his ear on her stomach, “What’s this? Is the innocent little Luna eating for two?” he paused to listen longer, “Oh no… she’s eating for three…” The Shadow rose his free hoof into the air. “But I’ll be happy to make it one again.”

Before he could strike two dark figures rammed themselves into the shadow, causing him to drop Princess Luna. Warhammer sprinted faster than he ever had and with a leap of faith, caught his lover. The shadow looked to his attackers, Dark Knight and Night Wing had arrived.

“None shall harm the Princess…” Dark Knight growled.

“And we brought some friends…” Night Wing pointed to a massive shadow approaching from the south, the Lunar Guard was entering the fray.
The two Lunar pegasi charged The Shadow striking him with all their fury. The shadow was thrown down to the streets, Dark Knight and Night Wing following close behind. The two continued their relentless assault, even drawing blood from their foe. Their fight went deep into the streets, fighting through the descending Lunar Guard and the shadow fiends unfortunate enough to be landed on. The group looked on in awe, seeing the two handle their foe with such ease.
“We’re doing it sir!” Dark Knight yelled to Greatsword.
“We’ve got him on the ropes!” Night Wing added.
For a moment it seemed that way, the two Lunar pegasi holding their own against a foe like The Shadow, but after a few more well-placed blows, he had taken all he could.

“ENOUGH!” He yelled, intrapping his opponents and pulling them to him. “I have to admit, for being average, normally useless Lunar pegasi you have a great deal of nobility for coming after me like that… and now you’ll pay for it.” the shadow’s horn grew even brighter, Dark Knight and Night Wing screamed in pain as their lives were being taken from them.

The two then looked to the shadow and before their final breaths they said in unison. “To give one’s life for the Princess of the Night is the greatest honor.” SNAP!

“Whatever…” The Shadow said throwing the two dead ponies to the side, “now, where is Princess-”

The Shadow winched in pain for a moment. He hadn’t felt something like that in so long. Looking down to his chest he saw a single, dark blue horn jutting out of where his heart should be. The horn pulled out, releasing the blood that had pooled behind it. Gasping for air he turned to see Princess Luna behind him, wiping her horn clean of his blood.

“Rule number ONE…” she growled angrily. “NEVER turn your back on an opponent…”

The Shadow hit his knees, coughing up blood. “It seems I taught you well, Luna…” He said laughing with darkness enveloping him. “And I look forward to seeing you again… in hell.” the shadow took one last breath before darkness completely surrounded him and with that, he was gone.

“Princess Luna,” Battleaxe said. “You actually KILLED him…”

“His death came too quick Battleaxe,” Princess Luna said, staring at the place the shadow was only moments before. “He DESERVED to suffer…”

“He will, Luna,” Warhammer said. “The deepest pit in Tartars is reserved for traitors.”

“This victory came at a terrible cost…” Greatsword said looking to Dark Knight and Night Wing, “I only hope they will be the last deaths in this-”

Greatsword took a giant gasp for air. It felt as if something had just ran through his chest. He looked down to see a royal guard pike sticking out of his body. Then another sudden pain came to him, this time a silver horn glowing with red magic. He turned around to see his attackers, but the pike twisted before he could see them. His knees went limp, his eyes diloated and his mouth became agape before he finally hit the ground his eyes turned in the direction of attack, allowing only a second to see two ponies standing behind him, one holding the pike.

PreviousChapters Next