• Published 23rd Jun 2013
  • 2,272 Views, 129 Comments

The Elements of Honor - Flanagan



The story of three stallions and their journey to fine their true destiny, rated Teen for blood, gore, sexual innuendos and language

  • ...
6
 129
 2,272

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 17: There Will be Blood

“Ok, everypony,” Greatsword said as the 1025th stood in front of the abandon mine shaft they were going to enter, “let’s get into positions.” the 1025th nodded as they readily awaited their orders. “First team; you already know who you are, take positions on the left side of the mine.” The five ponies nodded as they quickly but silently made their way to the entrance of the mine. “Second team, make your way to the right side of the mine’s entry.” The next group of five ponies followed their orders with no hesitation, moving to their positions on the right as Greatsword had instructed them to do.

“Still waiting, ‘sir‘…” Battleaxe said tapping his hoof impatiently.

“I’m getting to you, Battleaxe,” Greatsword replied with minor agitation in his voice, “now, where was I?” Greatsword took a moment to think after his brother’s rude interruption. Fumbling through his thoughts he finally remembered what he was going to say before that. “Right, Third Squad, to the center, head out.”

The last group of five ponies obeyed quickly, making their way to their designated post. “Now, Command team, that’ll be myself, Battleaxe, Warhammer and Roadmap, we’ll head up behind Third team.” Greatsword looked towards Roadmap. “Do you have the mine’s layout ready?”

“Right here, sir,” Roadmap said waving the item in question back and forth, “and we are good for taking care of business.”

“Excellent,” Greatsword said smiling towards the mine then the ponies of the 1025th, “Alright gentlecolts, let’s get this done.” Greatsword made a motion with his hoof to signal all the ponies to move into the mine and with no hesitation, the 1025th entered the mines. “Unicorns,” Greatsword said cautiously. “Be sure to keep your illumination spells at their minimum level, we all know that changelings are very sensitive to the changes in lighting in their environment.”

“Yes Sir.” They responded dimming their spells to the most fain of glimmers.

The unit continued down the dank and dark corridors of the once booming diamond mine. But among the high tension and silence of the mine several of the members had begun to notice that there was one thing out of place.

“Why haven’t we run into any changelings?” Battleaxe asked whispering quietly, “You’d think we’d run into at least a scout or two by now… right?”

“Maybe Greatsword was right about there being no changelings in here.” Flare Flash replied quietly back, “Maybe for this one time, Ol’ Princess Celestia’s smiling down on the 1025th.”

“I doubt that, Flash,” Long Shot said from across the mine. “Our Intel was accurate, and changelings aren’t the type to pull out before at least trying to accomplish their main objective.”

“Voices down, stallions…” Greatsword said. “We don’t want to give off our positions if there are any changelings nearby.”

“This isn’t right…” Cloud Seeker said flying next to Greatsword. “This feels like a trap.”

“We have our orders Cloud Seeker,” Greatsword replied. “Get back to your team and cover Pyro while he sets the charges.”

“Yes sir…” Cloud Seeker said with a salute. “But I still believe this is a trap.”

“I understand, but we still need to accomplish the mission. Head back and after all this is over I’ll buy you a drink.”

Cloud Seeker returned to his team, his eyes darting around the mine, just waiting for something horrible to happen. The minutes continued to pass without incident, prompting several of the 1025th to relax to the point of talking again.

“Damn, I’d love a hay milkshake right now.” Camo said quietly to himself, placing his hoof on his growling stomach.

“I’d drink your milkshake.” Battleaxe whispered over to him, “I’d drink it up.” he made a quiet slurping sound as the other ponies who heard the conversation giggled quietly.

“Gentlecolts, enough…” Greatsword growled. “Roadmap, were exactly are we in the mine?”

Roadmap looked towards the map in his hooves, “Well, we passed ten of the mineshaft supports already,” he said closely examining the paper in front of him. “So there should be four more before we are in the main cavern then we should pass six supports in there, finally another thirteen supports in the mineshaft opposite of this one, after that we’ll be out and we can make a small canyon for the ponies of Los Pegasus.”

“Good,” Greatsword said as he returned his gaze forward into the blackness of the mine. “We’ll be done before nightfall.”

“I ain’t even 'eard one of ‘em fer all this time.” Ridge Cracker said as the 1025th continued down the mineshaft, “I know I ain’t no smart pony, but somthin’ ain’t quite right bout that.”

“Well, I guess we won’t know until we’re finished if they’re actually here.” Comet said looking in every direction for any kind of evidence of changelings.

After Comet’s statement, a long, deep, chilling laugh came from the darkest reaches of the mine before of them. The 1025th all froze and stared into the darkness straining their eyes in an attempt to look at what the source of the laugh was.

“What the hell was that?” Battleaxe said to all the ponies as they still stood in silence.

“I d-don’t know…” Cannon Fodder stuttered quietly, “b-but I don’t l-like it one bit…”

The same laugh came again as if to respond to Cannon Fodder’s obviously fearful tone. Greatsword took a few steps forward into the black abyss, still trying to see what was making the laugh. His attempt was in vein, the mine was just too dark, he could barely even see his own hoof in front of his face.

“Your kind is bold entering a place like this…” a voice with the same tone as the laugh said as it echoed through the mine. “Such bravery can kill, you know…”

“Who’s there?” Greatsword called out into the dark, “Show yourself and be identified.”

The voice laughed again, amused by such a demand, but then it responded. “My master said that you would come…” it replied, “and my master was right, because here you stand, before your doom…”

“We have no time for such games creature,” Greatsword called out again, “if you are the changeling leader, I ask you to surrender your forces, if not, I will be forced to engage.”

“You think of me as a simple changeling?” the voice said laughing at the thought, “You certainly need to learn to better distinguish between the voices of the inhabitants of Equestria…” the voice paused to gain its composure, “Greatsword…”

“Y-you… you know my name?” Greatsword said backing away from the direction of the voice.

“Yes…” the voice responded. “Yes I do… I know everything about you…” the voice paused again. “And your brothers…”

Even Warhammer flinched in shock of this revelation. This voice knew who they were before they had woken up that fateful day around five years ago. The 1025th all took positions behind their leader, still unsure of exactly what they were facing. The voice laughed at their formation and spoke again.

“You should’ve brought more ponies, Greatsword… even with Battleaxe and Warhammer you cannot hope to defeat me.”

“Who the buck are you?!” Battleaxe shouted into the darkness.

“Ah, I forgot that my master was very thorough with the memory wipe…” the voice replied “but my master was bound to miss something, I can only assume that’s why you’re still alive…”

“You still haven’t answered my question, creature.” Greatsword said staring into the dark of the mine.

“All you need to know Greatsword, is that I will kill you and your brothers and once I have completed my task the only threat that stands in my master’s way will no longer remain,” the voice became more sinister as it continued, “but, if you must know the name of your killer, I suppose I will not deny you that.”

And then there was only silence leaving nothing but the tense atmosphere. The seconds passed like hours until finally the 1025th heard a faint rumble, the rumble grew increasingly violent, causing stlagtites to fall from the roof. It didn’t take much longer for them to finally realize what was causing the tremors.

FUUM! A large ball of flame lit up the cavern and flew towards the 1025th narrowly avoiding the group in a whole, but the explosion of the flame had reviled their adversary. A massive, black and red dragon, it seemed that shadows steamed of its entire body. With a loud roar the dragon spoke again.

“I am your doom! For I… AM… SMOG!” Smog belted another ball of flame at the 1025th, separating quickly they barely avoided the attack.

“Merciful Celestia…” Battleaxe said in awe. “How the hell are we going to stop that?!”

“Ponies of the 1025th!” Greatsword roared, “Prepare for battle!”

“And I shall prepare you for your graves!” Smog laughed back.

The 1025th was prepared for a fight, but they were far from prepared to fight a dragon, especially one the size of Smog. Even though they knew that they stood no chance against him, they had to fight to stay alive and there was only one option for that, a fighting retreat. The 1025th would have to fight like they never had before to escape Smog and fall back to the Royal Guard who were waiting outside of the mine. Making their way back through the mineshaft they had entered, fighting for their lives while Smog continued his ruthless assault.

“You all fight bravely ponies…” Smog said raising on to his massive hind legs. “But you will all rot in this place!” he roared sending his claws toward the land locked forces as the pegasi sped out of its destructive path.

“Get the shields up!” Tower Shield called out to Iron Hide, with little hesitation the two summoned their defensive barriers, combining them into one titanic shield of magic “Get behind us! We can hold-”

CRASH! Smog’s claw easily tore through their barrier, and continued towards the two unicorns. Tower Shield and Iron Hide did their best to avoid Smog’s claw, but their best was not enough, the two unicorns became buried under the combined weight of Smog and the unforgiving ground.

“NO!” Ridge Cracker yelled watching his friends die in an explosion of dust and blood, “I’LL GUT YA FER THAT!” he roared charging Smog in blind fury.

Smog saw the furious pony charge him blindly and with a twisted smile he swung his other claw, SMASH! Smog gave Ridge Cracker the same fate as his two comrades.

“Damn it!” Battleaxe called firing another bolt of his silver magic, “We’re already three down and our defense is gone, we’re going to need to speed it up down here!”

“I assure you, Battleaxe…” Smog said still smiling, “I’m only getting started…”

The ponies did their best to make a hasty retreat, but Smog was somehow able to control them from behind. “DAMN IT!” Long Shot shouted in anger, “I’m out of bolts! I’m falling back!” Long Shot narrowly avoided a swing from Smog’s tail as he flew past the remaining members of the 1025th.

“I’m taking Lug Nut and Camo!” he shouted flying past the fray “I’ll get us a way out! I swear!” were the last things he said as he flew into the dust and darkness.

“Your allies have abandoned you…” Smog said laughing, “It looks as if your choice of friends will kill you.” Smog looked directly at the three who still defiantly stood against him, “You efforts are in vein, I will kill all-” Smog roared with draconic fury as he reached for his eye, Comet, Flare Flash and Cloud Seeker had used this distraction to attack one of the dragon’s only weak spots.

“That’s for or friends, you bastard!” Flare Flash called out as the three pegasi flew away from the thrashing dragon. Smog, however used the insult to his advantage, he hurled a massive ball of flame in the direction of Flare Flash’s voice, with no warning the flame overtook Cloud Seeker, his cry of agony was all the alarm the other two pegasi got before the flame was upon them.

“Comet! LOOK OUT!” Flare Flash shouted pushing Comet out of the flame’s path.

“FLASH! NO!” Comet yelled out to his friend, but it was too late, Flare Flash’s fate was sealed by a plume of fire and a cry of unimaginable pain.

“Do not fear, pegasus,” Smog said, “your fate will be the same!”

“Not if I have anything to say about it!” Greatsword roared swinging his hoof into Smog’s good eye. Smog roared again in pain as he snapped his jaws at Greatsword, who narrowly avoided the attack.

“I can still smell you…” Smog growled with both his eyes closed, leaking blood.

Smog continued his literally blind attack on the 1025th, biting, slashing, and swinging his tail as they continued to fall back. Smog swung his tail towards the retreating ponies, crushing Snowstorm, Javelin and Pyro. None of them had time to scream before they lay flat in pools of their own blood. Smog’s tail landed close enough to Med Kit that he was thrown into the side of the mine, breaking both his back legs.

Roadmap rushed to the side of his fallen companion. “Don’t worry, Med Kit,” he said throwing his friend to his back, “I’m getting you-” Smog’s flame fell on the two ponies, their bodies turned to ash before the other ponies even saw what had happened.

“My sight has returned!” Smog roared opening his blood stained eyes wide, “Not even your souls will leave this place!”

“NO!” Greatsword yelled, “RUN! DON’T LOOK BACK JUST RUN!”

The remaining ponies stopped trying to fight Smog and began making a mad rush for the place they had come from. “You think you can outrun me?!” Smog roared laughing, “Challenge accepted!” he called beginning to presue his prey.

Those left kept running, knowing that if they stopped their fates would be a horrible death. Their eyes darted from left to right looking for some kind of exit or other means of escape, but there was nothing. Hope began to fade from them until they heard a fimilar voice cry to them in desperation.

“HEY! OVER HERE!” Camo called shouted over the chaos, “Long Shot found another way out, he’s got Lug Nut holding it! Follow me and I’ll get us there, I don’t know how log Lug Nut can hold it so run faster than you ever have!” The other ponies began to follow Camo sprinting to Long Shot’s exit, Smog closing in with every passing second.

As they continued to run it was made apparent that Smog’s sheer size made his pursuit even more dangerous, because the closer they got the to the exit the smaller the tunnel became. Smog’s body began to smash against all sides causing gigantic boulders to collapse all around the surviving members of the 1025th. They did what they could to avoid the massive rocks, but Camo never saw one as it fell towards him, with a loud crash and blood pooling under the huge stone, Camo’s fate was sealed. The 1025th kept running, they would have time to mourn if they survived.

“EIEAH!” Cannon Fodder screamed as a boulder landed on one of his back legs when Long Shot’s exit was finally in sight.

“Cannon Fodder!” Greatsword shouted turning around to get him. “I’m not losing you too!”

“NO!” Cannon Fodder forcefully yelled at his superior, “The charges are still set and this is one of those rare times a pony knows when he’s going to die!” tears fell from the small unicorn’s eyes. “I can set them to explode and kill this bastard when you get out! JUST GO!”

With misty eyes, Greatsword granted Cannon Fodder’s last request. He returned to the other running ponies quickly. Smog was having trouble staying with them, for his size was constricting his movement as he got closer to the exit. Boulders still fell around the survivors, though now in less number they still posed a great threat. One such boulder, met Patches’ front hoof. “GEAH!” she cried as she fell not twenty feet from the exit.

“PATCHES!” Greatsword and Comet yelled simultaneously as the turned around to gather her. “Not you too.” they said in unison again as they carried her to the exit, where now, Battleaxe and Lug Nut were both struggling to hold the opening up.

Cannon Fodder saw them draw closer to the exit, he closed his eyes and drew one last breath, “Cannon Fodder, Special Forces unit 1025, Hell on Hooves.” he said smiling, “Die you son of a-”
BOOM! The massive explosion filled the mine with flame and dust, causing the mine to fall into itself. The explosion flung the ponies inside the mine through the opening and caused all the ponies who stood at the opening to be blown away from it as well, everypony was covered in their own blood and the blood of their friends. They all looked around to see who was still left, but before they could get a count, Shining Armor ran up to the remainder of the 1025th.

“What the hell happened down there?” he asked the bloodied Greatsword, who was still disoriented form the blast, but before he could answer, Smog burst from the rubble, letting out a monstrous roar. He slashed at the ponies that stood near the fallen opening, striking only Warhammer, sending him flying nearly fifty feet before he hit the ground. Then he turned to Shining Armor, Smog gave him a twisted bloody smile as he slashed at the Prince of the Crystal Empire. With no hesitation Greatsword pushed Shining Armor away from Smog’s attack, taking one of Smog’s claws to his face. Then the dragon became limp and collapsed, dead, Smog had been killed, but at a terrible cost. Greatsword, broken and bloodied, said to himself as he lay in a pool of blood, “This… was supposed… to be an easy detail…” the last thing he saw was the dark figure of a unicorn standing over him, then nothing but blackness.

PreviousChapters Next