• Published 13th Feb 2012
  • 4,127 Views, 300 Comments

Future Progressive: The Speedfics and Drabbles of Present Perfect - PresentPerfect



A collection of speedfics and other stuff. Most of it is really goofy.

  • ...
13
 300
 4,127

PreviousChapters Next
Rainbow Dash and Fluffle Puff Try to Play an MMORPG

Rainbow Dash and Fluffle Puff Try to Play an MMORPG
by Present Perfect

Rainbow Dash was a mare of action.

Unlike certain Fluttershies or Rarities, or even occasional Twilight Sparkles, Rainbow Dash did not just sit around doing nothing. Sure, ponies might deride her for constant napping, but when you were in motion as much as the Rainbow Dash, you needed to rest up a lot so you had the energy to stay in motion the rest of the time. Besides, they were power naps.

The point being, Rainbow Dash was both unaccustomed to and less than thrilled about being glued to a dungeon floor back-to-back with a large, fluffy pink pony.

"Remind me again how we got here?" she groused, picking unsuccessfully at the adhesive once more. She'd managed to dig a little divot in a spot just under her right buttcheek, but the excavation was slow going. She was mostly just succeeding at making herself more irritated. Conversation would help make the monotony more bearable.

"Pffftttt," said her companion. "Bllffth frrpttt pth pth flrrrpt blth. Blrrrrp frpth pllth thplllllrrrft frpl thf!"

"Really?" Rainbow resisted the urge to scratch her cheek. Her hoof, the one she had been using to pick at the glue, would only end up stuck to it. "Are you sure?"

Her companion rocked against her. Rainbow assumed she was nodding vigorously. She tended to do everything vigorously. Why else would Rainbow hang out with her so much? Rainbow Dash was a vigorous pony.

"Fpth pllrrrt! Pthfth fllllpt ptrrrrpt fthfthfth blp! Pbbbbrt flthp rrrrrrp blblblblth!"

"Huh." Rainbow squinted across the room. There was really only enough light for her to see her immediate surroundings, but it didn't stop her from trying to discern small details that might help them escape. It was what Daring Do would have done. Daring Do was a mare of action, too.

"I musta been knocked out or something for that part, 'cause I totally don't remember it."

She was pulled upwards by a shrug. Back-to-back, she was only about head-high to her companion's shoulders, after all.

The fact was, if either of them had really wanted to, they could have worked together to tear free of, at the very least, the floor. But given how much hair would be lost in the process...

"You know what I was looking forward to the most?" she mused. "Making a character. It's always so awesome setting all the sliders and stuff. I mean, just really working your creativity onto this... Avatar, that's the word, right? The thing you're gonna use to represent you." She sighed and stopped picking. "I can't really explain it. Sometimes I'll start a new game just so I can make a new character, y'know?"

Knocking her head back against whatever she was leaning on was a typical habit of Rainbow's when bored, tired or exasperated. In this situation, however, it only resulted in a pained gasp behind her.

"Sorry!" she said immediately, leaning forward as much as she could. It wasn't much. "Sorry. Won't do that again." She sighed once more. "I just... I guess I'll never get to make that character now."

It wasn't giving up, no. Rainbow Dash was not a mare who gave up. She was just being smart enough to know when to recognize reality for what it was. Various Twilight Sparkles would have been proud. Twilight Sparkles were thinking ponies.

"Plrrrrft!"

"Huh? What do you mean you made a character?"

Vigorous shaking set in, up and down and up and down.

"Hphhhflr flrrbbbbt thlrrrrp pftt blrrrpll plrrrrbth!"

"Table-top? What's that?"

There was a loud gasp, and something rustled behind Rainbow. She craned her neck around to the side and got a view of a piece of graph paper. On it, written in shaky crayon, were a veritable plethora of statistics -- height, charisma, mojo, etc. -- surrounding a poorly-rendered picture of what looked strangely like the changeling queen. She squinted at the name written at the top.

"Does that say 'Princess Puffbutt'?" She resisted the urge to snicker.

A flat raspberry was her only response.

"Oh." Dash sighed. "Of course. Figures."

Author's Note:

Explanation. Thank to Deluxe Magnum, Petrichord and Pascoite for feedback. Fluffle Puff of course belongs to Mixermike.

PreviousChapters Next