• Published 2nd Jun 2013
  • 6,884 Views, 199 Comments

Step-Sisters - Speedy Quill



Scootaloo has the worst sister in the world.

  • ...
8
 199
 6,884

Common Ground

Scootaloo was sprawled out on her cloud, staring at the ceiling. She was never going to see her friends again. She would never be able to leave the mansion. And why was that? Because she had nothing in common with Diamond Tiara. That prissy little- Sometimes Scoot just wanted to...

---------------------------------

Diamond Tiara took a pillow from her bed and screamed into it. Her life was ruined. She was going to be a loser like every pony at school! And it was all Scootaloo's fault. Why'd she have to be so dumb? Sometimes she just wanted to...

---------------------------------

Rich sat down in the kitchen for an afternoon snack. Today had seemed like a great day. He wondered what was so different...

"AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!"

Rich dropped his plate of cookies as the high-pitched screams echoed through the mansion. He covered his ears until the sound subsided. He looked down at the broken plate and now-crumbled cookies. He narrowed his eyes and put his head back.

"GIRLS!!!"

---------------------------------

Scoot and Diamond sat in the library alone. Their father had put he in here in hopes that time together would force them to get along.

"What do you like to do?"

Scootaloo looked up. "Huh?"

Diamond rolled her eyes. "What do you like to do?"

"Umm.... Usually I like to try anything that could get me my cutie mark."

"We'll that doesn't help."

"What about you then?"

That forced Diamond to think. She remained silent for a few minutes. Scoot took to looking at the shelves of books while she waited.

"I like to...mrflmxpd."

Scoot turned to the filly. "What'd you say?"

"I like to...mrflmxpd."

"Say that again."

Diamond hesitated before repeating herself again. "I like to rollerskate, okay!"

Scoot stared at her in shock. "You?"

"I... I don't do it often. I think it's...fun. But you better not tell anyone!"

"How come you don't have a skating cutie mark then?"

"I started skating after I got it."

Scootaloo couldn't believe her ears. This pain-in-the-flank liked skating!

Diamond sighed in defeat. "Look, I want this punishment over with as much as you do. So why don't you get your scooter and we can go."

Scoot slowly nodded in agreement.

---------------------------------

The two fillies walked out into the garden. Scoot pushed her scooter along while Diamond carried her skates. They paused by the fountain and Diamond began to slip the skates on.

Scootaloo looked around the garden. "This will be the best area. Walls all around so nopony spots us. And right at home so Dad will spot us. And the garden has a pretty good path. Almost like a racetrack."

Diamond Tiara nodded as she laced the last skate. "Let's get this over with."

Scoot smiled. "Race ya!"

With that she took off, her wings moving rapidly as they propelled her forward. She made the first turn without trouble, chuckling at leaving Diamond in the dust.

And then something passed her.

Diamond stuck out her tongue. "Catch you later!"

The pegasus couldn't believe what she was seeing. She almost biffed the next turn, narrowly missing the garden wall. Her wings went into overdrive as she worked to catch up.

Diamond looked behind her as Scoot closed in. "Pretty good for a blank flank."

Scoot narrowed her eyes. "Pretty fast for a stuck-up priss."

They rounded another turn and evened out, rolling side by side. The fountain was just ahead.

Scoot looked at her opponent and smiled. "Finish line?"

Diamond nodded. "Agreed."

And now it was on.

---------------------------------

Rich stood up from his desk and stretched his legs. He had been working too long in one position. He paced around his office, passing by the window.

Wait...

He backed up to the window and looked down into the garden. He rubbed his eyes to make sure he was seeing clearly. The girls were racing!

---------------------------------

Scootaloo and Diamond Tiara both skidded to a stop at the fountain.

"Yeah! I so beat you!"

"No, I beat you!"

"Priss!"

"Blank flank!"

They glared at each other for a moment before falling over, both giggling.

"We'll I didn't think it was possible."

The fillies sat up as their father walked up to them.

Rich smiled. "Diamond, I didn't know you could skate."

She brushed herself off and shrugged. "It's just a hobby."

Scoot nodded. "Yeah. We just wanted to see who was faster."

Rich chuckled and turned back towards the mansion. "Why don't you two go out. You've been cooped up for far too long."

They stared after him in shock.

Diamond was the first to regain her voice. "You mean... We're not grounded anymore?"

Rich gave a curt nod and disappeared inside. The girls looked at each other for a moment before giving each other a high-hoof.

"Yeah!"

They froze, realizing what they were doing.

Diamond yanked her hoof away. "That...never happened."

Scoot smiled. "Agreed."

"So...I won right?"

"What?! No way!"

"Rematch?"

"You're on!"

---------------------------------

Rich returned to his office, ready to finish the day's work. Just as he was about to sit down, he looked out his window again. The girls were racing again. He smiled to himself. "Have fun you two."