• Published 21st May 2013
  • 23,641 Views, 902 Comments

My Two Most Faithful Students - Flaeirye



Twilight changes Star Swirl's time spell to travel back to the past once more. She ends up in the Pre-Equestrian era and unwittingly saves two fillies in the process. Little did she know what teaching them magic can do for the fate of Equestria.

  • ...
33
 902
 23,641

Chapter 7 - Something a Cake does



Heavy silence permeated the whole room, making for a tense atmosphere between the two ponies locked in a stare-down. Twilight didn't like this situation one bit. For some reason unknown to her, their disguises were in danger of being compromised thanks to this orange filly who wouldn't drop her stare dripping with suspicion. Of course Twilight had the resolve to protect those two fillies peacefully sleeping on the bed—even if she had to fight Southern Earth by herself—but if possible, she wanted this to end without any magic beams. Think, Twilight, think! Put those prized brain cells of yours to work!

“Hey, I’m still here, you know?” Cookie snapped her out of her thoughts.

Twilight had no other choice but to answer the filly’s question as fast as possible to avoid being compromised. It was time to wing it.

She heaved a dramatic sigh. “Like I've said, we're from Trote — and we ran away from there after the unicorn raid. They stole all the food and burned every house. We took all that we could and—.”

“—My cousin! He lives there! Have you seen him? Please tell me he's okay!" Twilight's words were cut short by Cookie shaking her whole body.

Obviously, the disguised unicorn wouldn't know who Cookie's cousin was. In the first place, she didn't even know anypony there save for the two sisters (there was that ungrateful earth pony who attacked her, but unfortunately, she was unable to ask for a name).

Cookie's eyes begged Twilight for an answer, and so an answer she gave. “...I’ve seen several ponies make their escape.”

“Ugh, this is terrible.” Cookie was disgusted. “Usually, they march to Trote every year, unfairly taking the food and greedily ordering even more next year. But burning all the houses? Just what were they thinking?”

“Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,” Twilight said.

“No, it’s okay. I hope my cousin's alright.” After collecting her wits, Cookie mind snapped back to the topic at hoof. “I still don’t see how you got this gem. You didn’t happen to steal it from those unicorns now, did you?”

"Of course not.” Twilight racked her prized mind for another excuse and finally came up with another explanation. “On our way here, the three of us took a different route from the others. We passed through the woods then stumbled across the Gem Front. We did pick up a gem or two, not until those gem hounds almost made it impossible.”

Cookie doubted that the purple pony had survived that place. She heard stories about the gem hounds, and none of them involved ponies returning alive. “Just how on earth did you manage to escape those dreaded gem hounds? They’re tough, fast, and they’re all carnivores! No earth pony could ever run away from them! They even pop up from the ground and grab you down to their dens!”

And here she was, Twilight, the pony defeated a whole pack of gem hounds. Where could she even begin explaining this?

“And you just gave away the gem that you’ve risked your life for a common argument that happens every day. Why?”

“Simply put, I’m a generous pony.” Twilight smiled, but behind her cool facade was a nervous unicorn ready to teleport her and the kids in a moment's notice.

“That’s, quite unusual for an earth pony.” The filly still couldn't believe.

Twilight couldn’t take any more of her suspicions.

“Well, if that’s really the case, then I would like to have my gem back.” She stretched her hoof out, making a gesture of wanting the ruby back.

Cookie's skepticism was swept away after hearing that demand. Maybe the purple pony got lucky on running away from the hounds?

No amount of suspicion was worth a ruby. “You know what? Forget it. Thanks for the gem!” She dashed outside.

Finally. Twilight thought that the filly would never drop her doubts. After she let out a sigh of relief, the day's events came crashing down on her as she dropped down to her bed in fatigue. It was time for some sleep. Closing her eyes, she heard a voice inside her head.

That was a close call, Twilight.

--- A few hours ago ---
Gem Front. One of the few dangerous places inside earth pony territory. A battalion of unicorns marched along the glistening sunset as they arrived at their destination. Gems, jewels, and diamonds were scattered all over the ground, evidence that a great battle has taken place on this very land. The first squad held their position and the others did the same. Emerging from behind was the great leader of the knights, scanning the area with a sharp glare.

“Why did we stop, Captain?” asked the grey elite knight beside him.

“It’s that rogue unicorn,” Aura Gleam muttered as he scrutinized the scenery, dragging his trots along with his thoughts.

“The one who abducted your fillies?” asked the elite knight as he followed behind him.

Aura Gleam didn’t reply; instead, he coldly stared towards a certain direction. The loyal knight knew the answer from his resolute gaze. The captain faced his troops and gave out a new command: “Let’s set up a forward base camp here. I want this place secured! Everyone needs to be prepared for the upcoming battle soon!”

The unicorns hustled to their new objectives, piling up wood and setting up tents. Some just magically did their task. The first regiment went out to patrol the area as they were ordered while the others looked for a spot to take a rest from their journey.

“What are you planning?” inquired the grey stallion.

Aura's glare grew even harsher. “We’re going to raid Southern Earth.”

“One of the fortified villages? It’ll be harder than the last one. And we don’t know their infrastructure too well.”

“Indeed. But we already have a unicorn inside there now, don’t we?” Aura Gleam stared at his officer. “Now go. I want these words sent back to Unicornia,” he commanded.

The elite knight regrouped back to his squad with a salute and carried on with his tasks. Aura Gleam knew the purple unicorn headed there since that was the nearest settlement from this location. Plus, he sensed a great magical aura leading to the direction he was facing.

He levitated one of the scattered gems from the ground as a private came along trotting towards him.

“Captain, the perimeter is secured. Scanners spotted a few creatures retreating, but they were gone before we could even proceed to engage,” he reported.

Must be those cowardly dogs, he thought. Aura Gleam brought the emerald to the soldier. “Oh, and do collect all these gems, private. We’re going to use it.”

--- Next Morning ---
The sun has once again unfailingly risen from the horizon and Southern Earth's streets were filled with its bustling citizens. Ponies came out from their houses to do groceries at the grand bazaar. Stalls were set up on every side of the corner on the street. It was a common sight to see customers argue loudly with the vendors. And all those noises made Twilight groggily lift her eyelids. Heavy eyebags could be seen below her eyes, a telltale sign of her lengthy conversation with Cookie last night. Although Twilight wanted nothing more than to doze off back to dreamland, it was a luxury she couldn't afford today. There was that "plan" after all.

“What time is it?” Twilight groaned on the bed with a blanket to cover her face from the bright light. Letting out a few stretches to chase away the morning haze, she reluctantly swung herself out of the bed. Twilight skimmed the room and noticed that Celeste and Selene weren't anywhere in sight. They must've gone to the kitchen and ransacked it for food. That thought prompted Twilight to leave the room and remind those fillies to practice moderation. Before she could do so, the door slammed open, revealing a butter-coated filly. It was Butter Cookie, her face painted with a never-fading smile.

She came in with a cheerful expression. “Good morning Twilight! I see you’re awake! And about to miss breakfast!”

After shouting those short bursts of words, she rapidly trotted back to wherever she came from. The way she followed her own pace without faltering was similar to a certain pink pony back from Twilight's own time, making her inadvertently smile. She donned her tattered cloak and trotted near the window to overlook the busy streets of Southern Earth, filled with ponies passing by with baskets as their saddle bags. Twilight noted to herself to reread all those history books she had back in Golden Oaks library.

Trotting downstairs, she noticed a grand table filled with sweets and treats. She heard the indistinct chatter of the fillies as she took her steps. Mr. and Mrs. Cake greeted her before they left the house.

“Good morning, Twilight,” said Mr. Cake, carrying a huge box tied up on his back. “Another pleasant day we’re havin’. We hope you slept well last night.”

Resisting the temptation of mentioning Cookie's unwelcomed interrogation last night, she simply replied, “Yes, I have.”

“We’re glad to hear that from you. It's our first time having guests staying with us. We’re sorry if there’s anything bothering you here.” Mrs. Cake secured the rope around the box to prevent from falling.

“I’m fine, thank you for your hospitality.”

“We’re going to deliver these deserts to the refugees today. If there’s anything you need just ask Cookie, she's kinda smart for her age. Maybe you can help out with the contest,” added Mrs. Cake.

As the couple left the bakery, Twilight was left puzzled about this new event and tilted her head in confusion. "A contest?"

“Oh! You didn’t know?" Cookie popped out behind Twilight's back. "We always have a competition between the Sweets every year near winter.”

“Near winter?”

“That’s right,” she replied with a beaming smile. “Oh, I know! I’ll introduce you to my plans.”

"But shouldn't you be worried instead?" Twilight inquired Cookie.

"Of what?" Cookie's ear perked.

"You know, the unicorns." She leaned closer to the filly to avoid anyone else in the room from eavesdropping. "There may be a slight chance that they'll raid this village."

Cookie gave a quick scan of the surroundings then beckoned the purple pony to listen closely. "I’m completely aware of that, but we shouldn't make a fuss about it."

"Wait, you didn't tell your parents about our conversation last night?"

"Well, just between you and me, they can be a little too paranoid when hearing the words ‘unicorns’. And telling them that there might be an attack soon? Everyone in the village would be panicked. And besides, we've got the second strongest fortification among the Earth Villages." Cookie’s normal voice resumed with a cough. "But anyway, let's get started!"

Without warning, Cookie grabbed Twilight’s hoof and zipped towards the dining room, joining the other three fillies on the table. Selene saw her mother entered the group and felt glorified. “Yay! Mommy's going to help us bake!” She threw her hooves up in the air, and so did Butter.

“Alright, today we’re going to make a treat that will surely carry us to victory. Something unique.” Cookie stood up on a stool. “So, what kind of baked goods do you ponies suggest?”

“I would say cake! Cake’s my favorite,” stated Celeste as she ate the slice of cake on her plate. Her obsession with cake remains unexplained.

“Cookie! A bigger one! With different taste.”

“Giant Mushroom! That will make you grow big,” Selene added as well.

There was a short silence in the dining room. The pink disguised unicorn whispered to her sister, “Mushrooms aren’t desserts.”

“Oh, make it a pie then!” she corrected.

All the fillies turned to the oldest one around them for her suggestion. “I don’t have any ideas to propose, let alone how to bake,” said Twilight.

“That’s okay, I can think of something where you might be helpful.” The orange filly didn't know what Twilight’s cutie mark was but she ignored it and laid out some of her special recipes on the table.

“Cookie, is it my turn to put up the sales on the stall today?” Butter jumped on the table in front of her sister.

“Of course, Butter. Don’t forget to keep an eye out for those Sweets,” Cookie replied. “Who knows, those Sweets might be trying to steal our sweets.” She laughed at her own witty joke.

“You can depend on me, big sis,” Butter said with a hoof on her little chest. She zoomed right to the counter and grabbed some boxes of sweets, transferring them to the wagon outside the bakery.

A thought came to Twilight after observing the younger sibling.

“Maybe I could help out with the stall, since I’m not that good at baking anyways,” Twilight proposed. She took this opportunity to make proper use of her time. The Cakes had mentioned something about refugees a while ago. They were probably talking about those ponies from Trote.

“Butter can handle herself,” said Cookie. She turned to look at her sister struggling to push a single box, immediately changing her mind. “I guess Pudding might try to pull something off this time. Okay then.”

“Oh! Can I join too?” asked the green filly.

Butter gasped with happiness, seeing that Selene wanted to join the stall band— or at least, that’s what she was thinking. “You will?! This will be fun!”

“I’m afraid I can’t let that happen, Luna. You should stay here.” Twilight declined Selene’s appeal to join them. She had her own reasons, though.

“Aww,” the fillies' excitement was doused.

“She’s right. We need all the help we can get to bake the best baked good of all Southern Earth,” Cookie stated.

"I guess baking can be fun as well,” said Selene.

“Cya’h later then, Lena,” Butter said as she waved goodbye. Twilight followed and placed the last box on the wagon.

Before the purple pony left, she faced her two fillies and gave them a reminder. “Oh and while I’m away, I’m hoping you two won’t cause any trouble. Okay?”

“Don’t worry Twilight. I’ll be more responsible,” Celeste asserted as she drew Selene closer to her.

Twilight pulled the wagon and gave the fillies a final glance, hoping in her heart that they wouldn't cause any dilemma while she was away. The two sisters kept waving their hoof until they couldn’t see their mother anymore.

“Well then, let’s get started. Follow me.” The orange filly went to the kitchen with a clay pot on her head. The two fillies followed closely behind as they raced each other to the kitchen with laughter.

---
“Do all bakers participates in this competition every year?” The purple pony asked some questions while helping the butter-coat filly set up the stand.

“Yes we are!” the filly responded. “There are also other types of cooks in this place. It’s not just bakers, silly.” She took the treats outside the box. “Actually, there are only two bakers here in this place. And that’s us and the Sweets.”

“Why near winter?" Twilight inquired as she moved the empty crates behind the stand.

“I don’t know. The event planner wants everypony to stock up our foods before winter, so we can make it through few months. I guess that’s why she started this competition. It’s mostly for fun, I tell you.” She stated.

“I see.” Twilight wished she brought her paper and quill with her. Never thought this small filly knew so many things about their situation.

“Our parents lived in Central Earth before, but our families thought of expanding our trade. So they came here. It didn’t make the Sweets happy though. They even consulted the event planner to add a prize in every contest. Can you imagine? The winner shall be able to advertise their goods in every earth village. Our business will be booming!” Butter shouted excitedly, earning some odd looks from the ponies around them.

Twilight knew who would win. Mr. Cake in her time told everything about their family history when she was studying everypony’s family tree. “So how’d it go?” she asked.

“We lost. Every year”

Scratch that. Mr. Cake lied. “Lost? How come?”

“Well, if you keep your reputation up with every resident in this village, then they might actually vote for you. I guess the Sweets were just better.” She shrugged. “But that didn’t stop us. I have a feeling that the odds will sure turn things around. Not sure when.”

Why do I have the feeling that the odds involved unicorns attacking, Twilight thought to herself while staring at the unloaded crates. She was reminiscing about her bedtime stories for Spike — meaning history lessons. The dragon was so bored that he forcefully went to sleep. It made Twilight smile remembering that moment. The disguised unicorn knew that the earth ponies didn’t lose any of the earth villages. She felt confident that the earth ponies were prepared for anything. Even if those unicorns came to raid this town.

But what if it wasn't? What if those history books were wrong? What would happen then? Doubt after doubt kept entering Twilight’s mind. Every history teacher in Equestria knew that all major earth villages had successfully defended themselves from every siege. Maybe she was here to make sure the timeline stayed that way. Yep, that could probably be it.

I could do a few checkups on the town’s defenses. It’s not like I’m changing anything. The purple pony watched the great walls looming far away. A single thrown pebble wouldn't be able to change the current of a river.

“Earth to Twilight, hellooo.” Butter tried catching her attention by swaying a hoof in front of her.

“Oh, were you trying to say something?” Twilight focused back on her task, watching the empty crates.

“I’m just wondering if you’re going to stare at those boxes all day.”

“Sorry, my mind has been quite busy lately. Everything set?” Twilight stepped beside Butter to inspect the treats that were ready for sale. Why did they even need this stall when they already have a shop?

“Sure is.” Butter hopped at a stool for a better view. “Say, my sister said you’re from Trote. Do you know how this selling stuff works?”

“Of course," the purple pony replied with a confident smile. The sleepless nights studying history was showing its worth. "We can trade goods from any commodities as long as its condition is of good quality. Gems are also acceptable for bargaining, but I assume they’re rare to find.”

“Right, gems are really hard to find out there. Having one could almost buy an entire town.” The filly thought about the gem that Cookie showed yesterday. “I’m wondering what my sis is going to do with that ruby. It’s pretty awesome if you think about it”

No surprise why Cookie was so suspicious last night. A single gem could make anypony feel rich, but how about a saddle full of it? Twilight didn't understand much about the earth villages’ economics, knowing that the unicorns can obtain gems so easily like picking plain rock on the ground. “Can I ask you something?”

“What do you want to know?”

“Actually, I was going to excuse myself for a little walk. You know, to try and get familiar with the place. If that’s okay with you,” she added.

“Sure! This place is pretty big. I wouldn’t mind if you wanted me to tag along.”

Twilight declined Butter's offer. “It’s just a little walk, I’ll be fine on my own. Although, thanks for the offer.”

“If you say so,” said the filly. “Don’t get yourself lost.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.”

“Oh, and hurry back, we got baked goods to sell!” Butter cheered at the departing pony. A new customer came along, passing her sight. She took this opportunity to sell her wares. “You sir! You look like you haven’t tasted any tasty treats in your entire life. Would you like to try some of the delightful desserts I have here to offer? I got some fine bread too this morning.”

Curious, he looked at the items, and then at the filly. “The pony who left you here right now. Isn’t she supposed to do the selling?” asked the brown customer.

“Nope, you’re looking at the right filly here, buster,” Butter replied with pride.

“Aren’t you too small for this kind of thing?”

“Hey, I’m a big pony!” she blurted out.

The earth pony raised an eyebrow at this claim. “A’ight then, I’ll take several bread, for two cucumbers.” He held the small-sized vegetables from his saddle for a trade.

“Hmm, I could use some of those back home. Sure!” Butter accepted the trade, thinking it would be perfect for her secret salad recipe.

The pony rolled his eyes and took the offer with him. The total cost of it would normally be equal to five cucumbers. He wondered if the filly knew that. Nonetheless, he didn’t bother telling her this at all, thankful for the wonderful bonus.

---
Walking on top of the village stone wall, the purple pony reached the corner of Southern Earth defenses. Ballistae and a dozen huge spears were placed at every angle she saw during her walk. Visiting this artifact at the Canterlot museum was quite fascinating. Imagining what would happen if a pony got hit with it...

“Hey! You there!” a guard yelled as he approached, “this area is strictly prohibited from civilians!”

It gave Twilight a good jump. Good thing her illusion spell was still active. “I’m sorry. I was just taking a breather,” she said, calming herself internally. She gazed at the horizon, breathing deeply to add to her excuse's legitimacy.

“Do that somewhere else. Refugees should stay at the infirmary or to their respective momentary shelter. Not here.” He pointed his hoof right at the center of the town.

Twilight’s ears perked. Refugees? They must have arrived from Trote. “Pardon me, but can you show me where exactly the infirmary is?”

“I’m not allowed to leave my post. Go ask the residents if you’re lost,” the guard replied with a scowl.

“What’s going on here?” A lookout with a crossbow on her back approached the two with a cautious look.

“This pony got lost.”

“Oh really? Were you struck at the head from those unicorn's crazy magic?” the sentry asked the unicorn in disguise.

Twilight knew a thing or two about confusion spells; one strike at the head would cause a pony to forget today’s event. Speaking of concussions, she really needed to visit the infirmary instead of talking to these two sentries. “I’ll just leave.”

Still, there was something she wanted to know about: Cookie’s cousin. What did he even look like? She was probably just going to ask one pony at a time. It wouldn’t be too hard asking somepony who you never met before. Especially when you’re stuck in the past where nopony seemed to care about suspicious cloak-wearing ponies like her, right?

Trotting down the streets, Twilight faced a hard time finding the refugee zone. Every building in this place looked awfully similar to each other (although they came in different shapes and sizes, her point still stood). Everypony was busy minding their own business, sharing gossips and whatever ancient earth ponies did, to help her with her problems.

This was when she caught sight of a stallion walking in her direction with a couple of baskets crammed with vegetables—specifically, carrots— and utensils slung on his back. It was a good place to start as any, so she took her chances and approached him.

“Excuse me, could you help me locate where the refugees took shelter?"

Surprisingly, contrary to his tired appearance, he gave a reply that didn't push her away. “If you want to, I’m heading there right now.”

“Oh thank goodness, that would save me a lot of time searching around.” Twilight felt relieved. She was already behind schedule to meet up with Butter.

“No problem.” The stallion still looked as weary as could be, but it was better than nothing.

As they walked side by side, Twilight couldn't help but notice their slow pace. “That’s a lot of carrots you’re bringing. You need help with that?”

“Nah, I got it,” he replied with a sigh. “I’m just tired of seeing those unicorns ransacking our home every year. But this time they took it too far. They have freaking magic, so why aren’t they using it to grow their own food instead of robbing ours? Thinking about it always makes me want to smack some sense into them.”

“Sorry to hear that.” Twilight gaze fell. He had a point, there were some common easy-to-cast agriculture spells that unicorns could do, but she doubted the word ‘common’ in this timeline meant easy.

“So you’re from Trote?” Twilight asked, forcefully trying to shake away the gloomy atmosphere between them.

“Yep. What about you? Looking for somepony?” he asked.

“A friend of mine. I just wanted to know if he’s okay.” Or not. She had no clue if he was even here. There was even a slight chance he would get to Cookie first before Twilight reached him.

The stallion chuckled. “Heh, I guess we both have somepony to look— Watch out!” He swiftly grabbed the purple pony away as they both stumbled on the ground. Soon after, a passing wagon ran past where Twilight just was.

“What the hay! Watch where you're going!” The pony threw up his hoof at them, then ran off on high speed. Coughing from the dust, she slid down her hood as she dusted off the remaining filth.

“That pony will crash to Tartarus someday.” The stallion stood up and picked up his grocery scattered all over the ground.

Twilight has a slight feeling she knew this stallion. She helped him out by picking up carrots with her mouth. This would have been easier if she could just use telekinesis, but disguised unicorns couldn't be choosers.

“It was my fault, I should’ve seen that coming.” Looking around the market, she couldn't see anypony care about what just happened. Definitely not like Canterlot.

“Don’t be. It was his-…You?!” The stallion glared at her.

“Me?”

“You!” He pointed out repeatedly.

“Twilight!” A filly jumped in.

“Cookie?”

“Uncle Carrot!” Cookie ran toward the stallion and gave the warmest welcome hug a filly could give.

“Carrot?”

“It’s good to see you again.” He ruffled her mane, noticing his niece has grown since his last visit. “How long has it been?”

“You?” Twilight 's ears drooped down. The ungrateful pony she fought back in Trote was Cookie’s relative? Now her cover was completely exposed!

“Twilight, I’m glad you already met my uncle,” she grinned then started to look around for her cousin. “Is Ginger with you?”

Uncle Carrot. The pony she didn’t expect to meet -- or more importantly, never wanted to see. He said nothing, only glaring back at the disguised unicorn. Twilight couldn't take any more of this stare. First it was Butter, then Cookie, and now this pony. Is this something a Cake does all the time when they met somepony new? She could feel the burning turmoil rising on the stallion’s eyes.

Aside from that, Twilight couldn’t help but think if Cookie seriously just left Celeste and Selene alone at her house. What was she doing here? But then again, she already ditched Butter -- though it wasn't her intention.

It would be simple to cast teleportation and grab her two daughters out of here. But she couldn't. Nopony knew that she was a unicorn-- yet. There had to be a way other than running. She could almost hear her head screaming for whatever possible solutions.

“Oh dear.”

Author's Note:

Not dead. Only lazy.