• Published 21st May 2013
  • 23,609 Views, 902 Comments

My Two Most Faithful Students - Flaeirye



Twilight changes Star Swirl's time spell to travel back to the past once more. She ends up in the Pre-Equestrian era and unwittingly saves two fillies in the process. Little did she know what teaching them magic can do for the fate of Equestria.

  • ...
33
 902
 23,609

Chapter 4 - The Second Night

Under the bright moonlight’s gaze, the two sisters debated about what Twilight should prepare for the evening meal. Although grass was a handy food at times, it was still rather bland for a pony’s taste. Twilight herself had to admit that she was getting sick of it. But after what seemed like hours of constant arguing, the unicorn doubted if it was the right decision to let the fillies choose the meal.

“I tell you, sis. We should have some mushroom stew,” Selene said, licking her lips as she wistfully looked at at the sky. The mere mention of the dish triggered some pleasant memories of a village hut in Trote; a time where they were confident enough to leave a bowl of steaming mushroom stew unguarded.

Celeste sighed in annoyance. “For the hundredth time, we just had mushrooms this morning.” Suddenly, a large grin split her muzzle. “I still think we should try salad, with extra tomatoes!”

“Eeew. Tomatoes taste funny, and not the good kind of funny. Mushrooms are better.”

“Tomatoes.”

“Mushrooms.”

“Tomatoes!”

“MUSHR—”

“Why don’t we compromise?” Twilight hastily interjected, not wanting to see where this argument could lead.

The two fillies blinked at her suggestion, doubt filling their eyes. Celeste was the first to speak up. “How?”

Twilight combed her mind for a good solution. “I can cook two dishes for dinner, if you want. That would take time, but it should be worth the trouble.”

Selene’s ears began to perk. “Can we really have two meals tonight?”

“Of course,” Twilight replied gleefully.

Holding back a squeal, the young filly looked at her sister conspiratorially. Leaning close enough to her ear, once Twilight was out of earshot, she whispered, “If you give me your share of mushroom soup, you can have my salad.”

Celeste gave her a similar look of interest. More tomatoes means more happiness. It was her sister’s loss, after all. “It’s a deal.”

They both silently giggled at their contract, earning Twilight’s attention. Choosing to ignore this adorable display, she called the fillies with a tap on the forest floor.

“Okay, girls. While I’m away, you can both play a game both of you can enjoy.”

Surprisingly, Celeste and Selene frowned at the idea. “Why don’t we practice magic instead?” the white unicorn asked.

This baffled Twilight a bit. She expected them to be ecstatic at the chance to play and have fun. Well, maybe they’re really dedicated to learning magic. With her brow furrowing in thought, she contrived another activity to take up their time as she foraged for food.

Using her magic, she carefully picked four gems from their hoard and waved them in the air. Three of them were diamonds with a purple hue, slightly varying in size. The last one was an emerald as big as a hoof. She gave the three violet diamonds to Celeste, and the lone emerald to Selene.

“I’d like you to practice what you learned yesterday with the gems,” she explained while preparing her saddlebag. “I’ll be away to get ingredients, so you take care of yourselves now.”

They both nodded in approval. Twilight noticed a hint of sadness in their face, so she hugged them as tight as she could. “Don’t worry. It’ll only take me a few minutes.” She didn’t know if it worked, but they were returning the gesture. After a few seconds, she released herself from the hugs and went off to her search.

“Take care, Twilight!” Selene called out as Twilight threaded through the thick trees of the forest.

Celeste, however, couldn’t say anything else. Her mind was occupied with a wish she knew Twilight could grant. A simple wish best left unsaid.

Please, Twilight. Please don’t leave us too.

---

When Twilight came back from her search, the sight of the two fillies struggling with their gems greeted her. Celeste’s purple diamonds were visibly wobbling in the air, the yellow aura that surrounded it fading at times. Selene’s emerald could only stay floating for seconds until it fell. For Twilight, these were major improvements from last night, when they couldn’t even make the stones do what they want.

“I’m back!” she announced, dumping vegetables and mushrooms from her saddlebag to a wooden bowl. Happiness quickly washed out their frustrations, leaving the gems behind to move to Twilight’s side.

“You’re back!” Celeste exclaimed with joy. After a small hug, the filly stared at the stack of vegetables. “Did you find any tomatoes?”

Twilight nodded in confirmation. “I found some along the way.”

Grouping the vegetables in an organized manner, she gave her wards an encouraging smile, mostly directed to herself rather than the fillies. “Now let’s do some cooking!”

---

With Celeste’s help, Twilight was able to prepare both the mushroom stew and salad faster than the mushroom soup she cooked in the morning. Selene wanted to add some mushrooms that she found growing on a tree, only to discover from Twilight that they were highly poisonous and could kill them easily. Since then, she busied herself with staring at the stars, connecting those little dots to form shapes.

“Dinner’s served!” Twilight called out to Selene, who immediately stopped her stargazing and went to the two. True to their word, they both swapped their share of mushroom stew and salad with each other, filling up their small tummies to the brim. It has been silent the whole time, for the two fillies couldn’t do anything but enjoy their meals.

“That was great! It has been a long time since I ate that much,” said Celeste as she gave her now-empty bowl to Twilight. Selene contentedly wiped the stray piece of lettuce from her muzzle, still puzzled at the thought of just how she was able to finish her food. They both sat there unmoving, thanks to the extra weight, while Twilight used a basic cleaning spell on their bowls. Satisfied with her work, she prepared their beddings using similar leaves from last night.

“Come on, girls. Time to go to sleep.”

The words Twilight said made the fillies’ ears drop.

“But I don’t wanna sleep yet!” complained Selene.

“Yes, Twilight. It’s still early,” added Celeste.

Those two pleading sets of eyes, an irresistible technique well-practiced by foals everywhere, almost forced Twilight to flinch. What now? Two sleepless fillies is a recipe for disaster! What would Fluttershy do? “What about a bedtime story?”

That brought the life back in their eyes. “The one with your friends back where you came from?” the blue filly asked excitedly.

“I was thinking about the three little pigs, but that works fine too.”

Tucking them both on the leafy beds, she randomly searched her memories about the little adventures she had with her friends in Ponyville. Most of them may not be about the fate of Equestria’s future, but they were still precious nonetheless.

“This story is about how Pinkie, a friend of mine, showed me something that both science and magic are unable to explain.”

Their full attention was now on Twilight, without any clear signs of fatigue written on their faces. This was the first time somepony would tell them a bedtime story, and they wanted to treasure every second of it.

“It was a bright and beautiful day in the land of Equestria…”

---

“… After that, I learned that there are things in this world we just can’t explain, and that sometimes, it takes a friend to show you the way.”

The two fillies managed to stay awake the whole time, even when their eyelids seemed to grow heavier with each passing word. Stifling a yawn, Celeste tugged Twilight’s mane to grab her attention. “Did you discover what pinkie sense was, later on?”

“Sadly, I didn’t. But it is, as I said, impossible to explain Pinkie as a whole. I learned that the hard way.”

Selene let out a small laugh. She never failed to crack up in the parts where Twilight was hit by something falling from the sky every time Pinkie’s tail twitched.

“It’s just like magic,” she said in a whisper, closing her eyes. “We don’t understand it, but we just accept it.”

Twilight wanted to argue about that; she understood almost everything there is to know about the study of magic. “You don’t understand it? But it’s written in every kindergarten-level magic textbook around! How could you even—

You’re in a time before professional magic practitioners, Twilight. Everypony here treats magic as a grab-bag of arcane curses.

“Yes, just like magic,” Twilight finally said, ending it with a heavy sigh.

In a few seconds, the silent air of the forest night was filled with the peaceful snores of the fillies. Left alone without any distractions, Twilight could not help but take her time thinking about just how much she had become attached to these unicorns she had just met yesterday. Leaving them behind in this world was becoming very close to something that she would not even dare to consider. Then what would happen if I finish the spell? What if I can’t find them a suitable place to live? Will I leave them? Pain gripped Twilight’s heart, unable to bear the thought of choosing between her life in Equestria and her life with her foster children. She thought she had resolved this fear already, but her doubts got the better of her. It’s not like I just waltz around this place, tell the world to love them, and then be happy back at the future. It just… doesn’t work that way.

Family will never be easy, but it’s something we must fight for.

She felt the words form inside her head, cool as a breeze in a summer night. Even so, her mind simply couldn’t sweep the harsh truths under a convenient rag. How do I fight for it when I could risk the world itself? What’s the use of fighting for something when I know it will not end well?

Silence filled the air again, and she sensed the maddening embrace of sadness. Looking at the sleeping fillies, she could see a small smile on their muzzles, probably dreaming something nice for a change. With that image, she felt the hollow voice again.

You know, a mother would do many impossible things just to protect her precious little daughters. For the two of you, I would do anything, just to see those happy smiles.

Her eyes widened at the realization, as the memory of those words echoed inside her. For reasons unknown, she defeated fifty Gem Hounds armed only with a threat and a dozen dozen gems. She remembered that spark of love, how it felt so right at that moment. Yes, I will risk my own future just to give them a place where they can live in love and kindness. I will fight for this because they are my family.

For the second time in their relationship, she felt that she was truly their true mother. Succumbing to the sweet call of sleep, she smiled at the last thought that hung in her mind.

Friendship is magic, yet family even more so.

Author's Note:

Finally! After weeks of waiting, let me present this chapter! If you haven't read that blog post about why this story is taking too long to update, let me summarize things for you: Fausticorn and Angel Bunny are doing their best to fix this chapter (And a couple of debates as to where this story may lead) and I have a very tight schedule to follow. I think things are settling down, so I'll try to make the updates a bit faster.

Let's just hope everything will go smoothly after this.