• Published 11th May 2013
  • 9,280 Views, 1,082 Comments

Denuo Fortuna - Firecaller



She was a unicorn on the run. She needed somewhere to hide, somewhere quiet and boring. The tourist pamphlet was out of date but the place sounded ideal... Ponyville

  • ...
28
 1,082
 9,280

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 36 - Flawed Plans

Chapter 36 - Flawed Plans

Applejack leaned forward as she carefully inspected the two-wheeled wagon in front of her. Lifting a hoof, she prodded the wheel to the wagon and shook her head at the play.

‘Poorly maintained, but it should hold together long enough to get us back.’ She glanced around at the other wagons parked in, what she assumed to be, a loading bay just inside the entrance to the complex.

‘It’s not sayin’ much, but it’s the best of what’s here.’ Applejack looked up from the wagon. ‘Now, where’s Rainbow got to?’

Looking over at the other side of the bay, she scanned along the wooden platform that ran the entire length of the other side of the wall. A platform that led to an open set of double doors.

Applejack’s ears pinned back onto her head as she glared at the open doors. “Rainbow! Goshdarn it girl, I thought you said you weren't going to go wandering off.”

After a couple of seconds, Rainbow stuck her head around the door with a big grin. “I said I wouldn’t go far AJ.” She stuck her tongue out at Applejack. “Well guess what? I found a store-room back there filled with field supplies.” She frowned for a second. “Looks like some ponies have been in there recently and taken some stuff, but it’s still pretty well stocked.”

Applejack pointed to some hoof tracks in the sand. “Yeah, I’d guess they did, didn’t notice the tracks the first time we came through but now I’ve had time…” She studied the hoof tracks. “Looks like two ponies, and a load of foals. I’d say they came through here not long ago, heading out.”

Rainbow shivered. “Foals! Here? Now that gives me the heebie-jeebies. Well as long as they're heading away from this place that’s all that matters.” She trotted out onto the platform and seated herself down as looked around at the wagons. “You made a decision to which one to take yet?”

Applejack prodded the wagon next to her, grunting in disapproval at it’s overall condition. “This seems to be the best of what’s here. It should hold the weight of Sunbeam, and some supplies, until we get back. The others are all pretty much falling apart.”

Rainbow glanced at the main entrance into the complex and shook her head. “Yeah, they're not really into maintenance are they? A single wonderbolt could break through those doors, no trouble. Heck I think Fluttershy could.” Rainbow shook her head. “I think they’re relying on nopony ever coming looking for them too much.”

“They ‘Were’ Rainbow, they ‘were’ relying...” Applejack sighed. “And I think they’d be right, what sane pony would want to come here?”

Rainbow nodded looking away. “Yeah. Agreed. Well... Anyway, as I said that store room looks pretty well stocked. Should have everything we need.” Her voice dropped. “As there’s no pony around to stop us we can take however much we need.”

Applejack hung her head, a tight feeling in her chest. ‘We can take however much we need as there's no pony left to stop us, no pony left to object. No pony left, period...’

Rainbow shrugged, forcing a smile. “You know what? I honestly think Twilight would go back and try to take that crystal if she could.”

Applejack snorted. “Glad that thing’s fixed down. I do not want that much stored magical energy bouncing around in the back of a wagon ready to go off. As for the supplies, I know we need them, doesn’t mean I feel right comfortable in taking them.”

Rainbow slumped, her good wing dropping to the floor. “Yeah, it does feel like we’re looting the dead. I mean, I’m glad they’re all…” Her hoof flew to her mouth, her eyes wide. “I didn’t mean that… Maybe I did… I...”

She closed her eyes. “I don’t know anymore AJ. I can’t believe Sunbeam did... That she could... All those ponies AJ! I know I agreed to some… But to all? Part of me says I should be horrified.” Rainbow’s voice became a whisper. “And part of me is whispering I’d already agreed to it by saying ‘yes’ to some. That I’m just haggling over the price of our escape. A price I’ve added to.”

Applejack turned to look at her.

Rainbow’s head lowered and she took a swipe at a rock on the floor. “That stallion, back in the crystal chamber… I keep replaying what happened over and over in my mind. What I could have done instead. That maybe I didn’t have to... if I’d done something different. If I’d just...”

Applejack cut her off. “Don’t sugar. Don’t go down that road. What happened, happened. At that time, and that place, you made the best choice you could make. Remember, you didn’t have the luxury to sit and think about it, you had to act there-and-then, with the information you had. You stopped him before he could do anything, and if you hadn’t, we might all be strapped back down in the chamber right now.”

She paused and lowered her head. “Also remember what happened there is a might different to what Twilight and Sunbeam went and done RD.” Stamping a hoof, she sent up a small cloud of sand. “They had time to think about it, Sunbeam had time to decide to do it.”

Applejack’s ears fell flat. “But what’s eating me up something fierce RD, is the fact that Twilight was right. However much I don’t like what happened, she was right. About them coming after us if nothing had been done.”

"Truth is, as much as I've been going on at Twi about not telling us, I'm darn glad she didn't. I'm glad that responsibility was taken off of me, then I turn around and rebuke her for it. I'm not sure which of us I'm lying to, and I don't think it rightly matters. Either way makes me feel like a hypocrite."

Rainbow walked over to Applejack and hugged her. After a second, Applejack hugged her back.

Neither said anything for several minutes before Applejack looked up. “Well, all this moping around ain’t gettin’ things done. Let’s get those supplies loaded and…”

Both jumped when a small earth-pony mare, in a green robe, ran through the double doors, her hooves clattering on the platform before she skidded to a halt.

Rainbow and Applejack took a step away from each other, both crouching down slightly.

Looking round the mare spotted them and slumped with relief.

“Oh thank goodness. I thought I was the only one left. You’ve got to help! Quick Step and Wood Turner went off to the dormitory to find the others… but they never came back!” She looked down at the floor. “Why didn’t they come back? All the guard rooms I checked are full of… W-where is everypony? Where is Brother Adeptus? I - I don’t know what to do.”

Both Applejack and Rainbow stared at the mare with blank expressions as she trotted down some wooden steps to ground level.

The mare looked at them. “Please, h-help me. Tell me what I need to do.”

Applejack drew herself up to her full height and took a step towards the mare.

The mare backed away.

Applejack lifted a hoof to point at her, took a deep breath in… and slumped. The hoof fell back to the floor, her voice sounding weary when she finally spoke.

“Sugar. My advice is go hide until after we’re gone. Then go anywhere that will accept you and just try to be a good pony. Just don’t tell them what happened here. What you were a part of.” Applejack looked away, her voice becoming quiet. “Lie if you have to.”

The mare took a step forwards. “Go, out there? By myself? I… don’t… It’s been so long. C-can I come with you?”

Applejack closed her eyes and took several deep breaths. Opening her eyes, she spoke through clenched teeth. “Listen… sugar… I’m trying real hard to stay civil here, I really am. But after all we’ve been through I’m finding it real hard to do so. So take my advice, and go hide until after we’re gone.”

The mare took a step back. “B-but…”

Applejack took a couple of steps so she was next to a barrel. “So help me you, you... ground-pounder, if you ain’t out of my sight in the next five seconds I swear…” Applejack spun and bucked the empty barrel, venting all her frustration on it.

The barrel flew across the cavern in a flat trajectory, shattering into shards upon impact with the wall.

The mare’s face went white before she let loose a shriek and bolted back up the steps and back into the complex.

Rainbow didn’t look away from the open door. “Wow AJ. You were scary there.” They both listened to the galloping sounds get quieter. “I’m impressed.”

Applejack turned away and started walking towards the wagon. “Don’t be, I’m not. In fact I’m right ashamed of what I just did.” She sighed. “I turned away a pony asking for help. But I don’t think I could stand being around a pony from this place right now.” Applejack looked around at Rainbow. “It’s safer for her. That’s what I’m gonna be telling myself in the small hours when I can’t sleep. Now, lets start getting those supplies loaded. Remember to leave room for Sunbeam.”

* * *

On the green mountain meadow outside the complex, Fluttershy looked up from Sunbeam. A medical kit, rescued by Pinkie from a suspiciously empty guard room, lay open next to her.

“I can’t see anything physically wrong.” She lowered her head. “Well, nothing that would cause a coma anyway. I’ve cleaned and dressed her injuries as best I can and, provided we keep them clear of infection, they should start the healing process now.” She looked down. “I’m sorry, but Sunbeam has lost that half of her ear. I hope she isn’t mad at me for that.”

Twilight put a hoof on Fluttershy shoulder. “I very much doubt it Fluttershy. You’ve done everything you can for her, I’m sure she’ll thank you for treating her if she comes round…” Rarity coughed. “...When she comes round. From Pinkie’s description of what happened, and from what you’ve said, I’m certain that this coma is magically induced now, brought on by Sunbeam running her reserve dry.”

Sitting next to Twilight, Rarity spoke up. “I must admit Twilight, while it does sound like Sunbeam did, indeed, run her reserve dry, a coma is not a normal consequence of that.”

Twilight rubbed her eyes. “No, no it’s not. That’s why I think Sunbeam went way beyond merely running her reserve dry. I think she was casting on an empty reserve for quite a while.” Twilight looked around at Rarity. “There is a small group of unfortunate, but well-documented cases, where a unicorn in a… disturbed frame of mind was able to keep casting despite an depleted reserve. They were all so focused, normally on somepony, that they unknowingly started pulling the energy needed to cast directly from their own bodies.”

Twilight shuffled her forehooves. “Apart from one who was tackled by guards and was subdued almost immediately, the rest carried on casting until their bodies couldn’t take it anymore and shut down, sending them all into coma. Two recovered, but their ability to cast magic was affected permanently afterwards. The rest...” Twilight’s voice went dull. “If they had received the proper medical attention in time, they might have been saved.

Twilight looked down at Sunbeam. “Sunbeam here is already comatose and has been for quite a while now. This puts her into the last group straight away. In fact, her body should have already started to fail. However...” Twilight rubbed her eyes. “Fluttershy, how would say her body is coping?”

“Well Twilight. When I examined her, all her vitals were strong.”

Twilight stamped a hoof. “Which doesn’t make any sense! Her body should be showing at least some signs of duress, if not outright failure by now.. I don’t understand how she is even still alive!” Snorting, Twilight looked down at Sunbeam. “How are you still alive Sunbeam? How are you even...? How…?” Twilight stamped a hoof. “Argh! She has every symptom, every sign, everything but the critical one! This is so frustrating!”

Rarity placed a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder. “Twilight dear, please calm down. We’ve all had a very trying time recently. Some more than others.” She added quietly. “...And none of us are at their best right now. I’m sure it’ll come to you. But what I am also sure of is that you are glad that Sunbeam is still alive.” The hoof tightened on Twilight’s shoulder. “Aren’t you.

Twilight looked up sharply. “O-of course. I… I didn’t mean that I was frustrated because Sunbeam was still... I meant it because I didn’t know… Please, I didn’t mean it like...”

Pinkie put her hoof over Twilight’s mouth. “Silly. We know what you meant. You’re weren’t trying to be mean, you were just being focused.” Pinkie looked serious for a second. “But what can we do to help her?”

Twilight shook her head. “Out here, nothing. She’s still alive, I don’t know how, but she is. So that’s a good sign. Trying to force anything, without specialized equipment, would be counterproductive at best. All we can is hope she recovers naturally and wakes up within a day or two.”

Pinkie twitched an ear. “So we can’t do anything?”

“No Pinkie. Intervening without knowing what is actually going on has more chance of making things worse than helping. I would consider it unwise to upset any balance that might exist in her right now.” Twilight put a hoof on Pinkie’s shoulder. “Look, I want to help her Pinkie, I really do. But until I figure out what’s going on, doing nothing is the best course of action.”

Pinkie looked like she was processing this for a second before she broke out into a big smile. “Okeedokee, if it’s the best thing for Sunbeam, then that’s what we’ll do.”

Twilight and Rarity shared a look. Rarity opened her mouth to say something but the doors opening to the complex cut her off.

Applejack came out, pulling a wagon, with Rainbow following a few steps behind her.

Applejack gestured with her head at the wagon behind her. “We found a wagon that should last long enough to get us back, although no promises on that as she’s right beat up. We’ve also loaded enough supplies to last us all up to a week.”

Rainbow trotted around to stand by the side of Applejack. “Even got a room for sleepy-head there.”

Rarity glanced at Pinkie before shrugging and turning back to Applejack and Rainbow. “Good work girls, any problems?”

Both their smiles flickered. Applejack shook her head. “Nothing worth mentioning. Which way are we headed then?”

Twilight looked at the track leading along the bottom of the cliff. “I think upwards is the best plan. Wheat-thorn is a high altitude plant, so the higher we go the better chance we have.”

Fluttershy pointed at Sunbeam. “But shouldn’t we be trying to get Sunbeam back to help?”

Twilight shook her head. “I’m sorry Fluttershy, a lot of ponies are dependant upon getting this cure and we’ve already lost too much time. Besides, we wouldn’t get her to help in time to do anything meaningful. All we can do is hope she wakes up before we have to start feeding her, and dealing with... other bodily functions as a result thereof.”

Rainbow pulled a face, catching on to Twilight’s meaning a little before the others.

* * *

The forest trees had become twisted and leafless a couple of days ago. A layer of moss covered most of them now, with vines hanging down from the branches, some low enough to touch the spongy ground. The air was humid and the sun was a fuzzy circle through the mist that seemed to permanently encase the forest now.

Sharp Fang spun around and fired a blue bolt into the trees, at the retreating... thing. A cross between a spider, a lizard, and a tree.

He quickly scanned around. The attack had finished as quick as it had begun.

“Casualties, anypony hurt?”

There was a moment’s silence.

Quickblade spoke up. “None. This time, sir.”

Sharp Fang relaxed for a second before stamping a hoof on the soft ground. “Damnit, this is the third time today.”

Quickblade walked over to him and nodded. “This is getting ridiculous. We’re already behind schedule and these attacks are just making it worse.”

Sharp Fang nodded. “And the damn ambient magic of this bucking forest makes sending any messages, in or out, impossible. I swear if I get my hooves on whoever deemed travel through the Everfree Forest as merely ‘difficult’...” He shook his head.

Quickblade shuffled his forehooves. “Yeah, I will take great pleasure in making them write ‘Extremely hazardous’, at knife point, over the top of it.”

Sharp Fang looked around and saw Listed Scrolls smirking in his cage. Rolling his shoulders, he fought down the temptation to wipe that smirk off of him.

Stiffly walking over to him, Sharp Fang seated himself down next to the cage.

“Find something amusing?”

“No lad. I’m quite safe in here. Not like the two poor earth ponies who were pulling me in the first attack. Or your team members on the third and fourth days. My, don’t they all have little scars now?” He looked over himself. “Apart from me of course.” He shook his head. “You poor things. Who knew that those…” He tilted his head, then shrugged. “Whatever they are, were so persistent. Tell me lad, how heavily have you been relying on those amulets? How much charge will be left by the time you get to Icefang?” Listed Scroll’s smile grew. “And who are you going to get to pull me along this time? I’d quite like to see you taking a turn to be honest.”

Sharp Fang merely smiled at him. “If we have to, we’ll leave you here, Mr Scrolls. You’ll be safe in your cage.” He slammed a hoof against the cage, making Scrolls flinch. “Certainly safe from the terrors of food and water.”

He spun round and stalked away from the cage, back towards Quickblade.

Quickblade looked at Listed. “He’s right you know, sir. We’ve been having to use the amulets a lot heavier than planned. We’ve got three almost burnt out already.”

Sharp Fang nodded, rubbing his eyes. “Yeah, I know.” He looked at Quickblade. “But do you think we should stop using them?”

Quickblade shook his head emphatically. “Oh heck no. I like living. But we are going to arrive at Ponyville, outside the mission window, with low amulet charge available. If the Elements of Harmony are there to contest the extraction...”

Sharp Fang shook his head. “This mission will be short lived. Argh! This all went teats-up from the very beginning. The agent was supposed to neutralize the Bearers before we got to town, thus removing the only real bucking threat in Ponyville.” His voice went high and nasally. “Poison them all at the gala, all in one go, it’s the easiest way. Best chance to get at least one, maybe more...” His voice turned normal. “What a great bucking idea. Instead she managed to get every other pony apart from her primary targets.” He sighed. “But what else could we expect from sub-contracting? At least we know that the Elements aren’t there at the minute, out trying to get a cure probably. So the window is still open for us to extract Icefang uncontested. Providing we can get there before they get back anyway.”

“If we don’t sir?”

“We improvise. Getting Icefang back is our top priority. I have no intention of leaving without her.” He strode away to talk to a pony checking on supplies.

Quickblade nodded, keeping his face neutral. ‘Almost right sir. The amulet is mission critical, Icefang is just high priority now. I wasn’t aware of your ‘blood relation’ to her until the minister told me and it explains a lot.’ He smiled. ‘And I suspect that is why you were selected for this mission in the first place. They knew just how far you’d be willing to go.’

Quickblade frowned. “So I do hope we can achieve both objectives without them coming into conflict. Because I’m sure you wouldn’t give her up in favor of the amulet, not without a fight. Speaking of which...”

Quickblade trotted over to Sharp Fang. “So, how much open damage can we cause?”

Sharp Fang nodded to the pony and turned round to face Quickblade and smiled. “As long as we can pin it on the Unicorn Supremacy Group we can be fairly open in our actions.”

All within earshot winced but kept looking outwards.

Quickblade pulled a face. “There’s a bunch of mutants, morons, and retards. The quite essential patsy group.”

Sharp Fang nodded but smiled. “Yep, I hear the minister was quite pleased that he was able to set that group up. We can do what needs to be done and pin the blame on them. For the retirement of a bearer, if need be.”

Quickblade looked at Sharp Fang. “Risky, that will attract the attention of Celestia…”

There was a moment’s silence where everypony, including Listed Scrolls, shivered and looked around. The day princess failed to materialize amongst them.

Quickblade looked down. “Sorry all, even for mentioning…” He looked back up. “So any idea which one it’ll be?”

“Not Twilight that’s for sure. I’ve no wish to mess with any alicorn, even if she’s not at full power yet. Rainbow is military and fast so she’s next lowest on the list. Applejack is easily locatable but tough. Fluttershy is protected by her pets, Pinkie is unpredictable, so that leaves Rarity as the highest probability. But we shall have to see which is the most viable target at time of contact.”

Sharp Fang looked around. “Okay ponies, you know the drill. Their attack pattern has become predictable. So now is the time to keep on your hooves. They could suddenly change their attack style, relying on us becoming complacent. So keep those eyes peeled.”

He looked around at Listed Scrolls’ cage. “Fireblade, Curved Fang, take up pulling that thing. I want protective cover around them ponies. We’ve lost two team members and two guards already, so I don’t want to lose anypony else. I want constant, non-amulet scanning of immediate surroundings on a one-on, one-on-stand-by basis, just as before. Try not to use your amulets unless necessary, but don’t hold back if you need to.”

As ponies started sorting themselves out, he looked ahead. ‘Just hold a bit longer Icefang. I swear, you’ll be back home and safe soon, little sister.’

* * *

Pinkie had insisted on pulling the wagon with Sunbeam in it, much to everypony’s surprise.

They walked along the track, mostly in silence. Occasionally one would make a remark or a joke, the others would listen, smile and nod, and then the silence would return.

Walking behind the wagon, Twilight noted that they had entered a sparse pine woods. She also noted the odd rhododendron bush growing between the trees, filling the air with the scent of their flowers and mixing with the scent of pine.

Looking away from the wagon, she looked at the setting sun through the trees. With the mountains in the background she was sure it was quite a view, but in her current frame of mind, she knew she wasn’t in the mood to appreciate it right now.

She looked back at Sunbeam. ‘What’s keeping you alive Sunbeam? It must be something I’ve overlooked. Ugh, think Twilight think. Again, from the top.’ Twilight slowed down, letting the wagon pull ahead of her as she lost herself in thought.

‘Fact: Sunbeam went into a coma. Fact: Her body should have shown signs of organ failure almost immediately. Fact: It didn’t. Conclusion: Something prevented it from happening. So what could it be? The only thing that could’ve prevented it would have been it she’d been hooked up to a life-support machine.’ Twilight snorted. ‘I’ll check the wagon, but I suspect that kinda thing wasn’t among the supplies Rainbow or Applejack found. So, I can rule that option out. Stupid idea anyway. Sunbeam would have needed the support so quickly that unless she’d been actually wearing it...” Twilight stopped. “Wearing… the… life… sup...’

Twilight jaw fell open, a moment later she face hooved. “Arrgh! My mind must've be addled not to realize that sooner! Pinkie. Stop!”

Twilight galloped up to the wagon as Pinkie came to a stop and looked over her shoulder at her.

Rarity looked at Twilight. “Twilight dear, are you okay?”

Stopping at the wagon Twilight put her hoof under Sunbeam and pulled her amulet out from under her.

A huge grin grew on her face. “Yes, yes, yes, yes!”

Applejack trotted up and stood next to her. “Care to share sugar?”

Twilight looked like she was about to start dancing on the spot. “Her amulet! Yes, I understand now. This is what’s been keeping her alive!”

They all looked at Twilight.

Twilight held the amulet up as far as the chain would allow. “Don’t you see? Her amulet, it’s clear! It used to have a flicker in it now it’s gone.”

Rainbow gave her a flat look, her ears splaying out to the sides. “Uh?”

“Her amulet, it’s a resoulten gem.” Twilight calmed down as she looked at the others confused looks. “Okay, in lay-ponies terms, it stores up a charge of ‘life energy’ from the wearer, which it gives back to them in times of injury. Think of it as a short-term life-support.” Twilight’s hoof tapped the side of her head. “I can’t believe I didn’t see it earlier. I mean, Sunbeam’s been asking me to get books in on them for long enough. Certainly long enough for me to have read one or two myself out of curiosity and learn how they work.”

Pinkie flicked an ear, looking over her shoulder at Sunbeam. “Funny, she always complained her amulet didn’t work.”

Twilight shrugged. “As far as I can see, it’s worked perfectly. Although it does look like it’s pretty much empty now.”

Fluttershy walked up to Sunbeam. “Oh dear, does that mean it’s stopped keeping her alive?”

Twilight waved a hoof. “Yes, but it’s done its job. It’s the initial shock of the body shutting down that is the impetus for the damage. Without knowing she was being supported, I was convinced that this was only a temporary respite before she succumbed. Now I can see what’s happened, I think I can say she’s out of immediate danger.”

Pinkie started jumping on the spot, causing the wagon to bounce until Applejack managed to put a hoof on her shoulder to keep her still. “You mean Sunny could be waking up soon?”

Twilight jubilant smile faded as she sagged. “I don’t know. This is entirely a new situation. She’s still comatose from something that really should have killed her. I’d say she’s out of the immediate danger so she’s got a very good chance of making a full recovery... But I don’t know is the honest answer. It’s the coma itself I am unsure of now. We are just going to have to hope she wakes up by herself.”

Twilight looked down. ‘But I’ve no idea if there’s any mental, magical or physical damage. No… the amulet must have started supporting her almost immediately… In time to prevent any damage… Hopefully. She just needs to come out of the coma now. Yeah, ‘just’.’

She looked up again and gave a wan smile. “A trigger could help bring her out of it, something she likes or is familiar with. A sound or smell could help.”

“Anypony got any Jackie Dee?” Applejack noted with a smile.

“Or pizza?” Pinkie added.

“Coffee?” Rainbow chipped in.

Applejack’s smile grew. “Coffee! I think I saw some in the supplies. Anypony care to make camp now? Maybe get some coffee going?”

A round of smiling nods followed.

Twilight’s smile faded as she pulled an inhibitor ring out and stared down at it.

She could feel the stares on the back of her neck as she slipped it over Sunbeam’s horn.

She didn’t look round. “Look, it’s to keep her from casting any spells when she wakes up, her body is still recovering, so any magical strain needs to be avoided at all costs.”

Twilight’s head fell as the stares bored into the back of her head and the silence drew out. “Okay… That’s mostly the reason. But she will need to refrain from casting any spell to help her heal.”

* * *

The minister looked up from the report he was floating in front of him.

“How reliable is this?”

“Very, sir. Two independent sources from Canterlot have verified it”

The minster floated the report away and rubbed his eyes.

“The mission window is closing. I take it we haven’t had any communications from the strike team, confirming that they’re in position yet?”

“Negative sir. They still appear to be in the Everfree, a known communications black-out zone.”

“They should have exited it by now.”

His secretary shifted uncomfortably. “Yes sir, I thought so as well. So I took the liberty of doing some checks. There is a possibility that our official information on the Everfree may be incorrect.”

The minister looked up sharply.

“Our records on of the Everfree haven't been updated in a long time sir. According to the head-of-records, any new information they received on it was just rumors and hear-say, nothing based on first-hoof reports so nothing was ever entered. At no point did they actually bother to investigate the rumors either sir, however consistent they were.”

The minster growled.

“I’ve looked into it sir and, based on the rumors, it is entirely possible that the rating of ‘difficult travel’ in the Everfree could be misleading. Extremely so in fact.” The secretary drew himself up. “Sir, I have also taken the liberty of reliving the head of records from his post, pending an investigation.”

“Good. I want someone nailed to the wall for this. We’ve thrown all our remaining amulets into this mission, just for them all to be put into jeopardy just because somepony was too lazy to check on some travel information. Damn.”

He floated the report back. “At least the second part of this report states that Elements are still out of the picture for the moment. However nice that is, I would desperately like to know where they are so we can plan appropriately.”

The secretary cocked his head to one side. “None of our agents know where they are?”

The minister shook his head. “Not even the Princesses themselves seem to know. What we do know is that the Element Bearers are not in the secure facility they’re supposed to be in. It should also be noted that the Night Princess can’t contact them either.”

“Could they be dead sir?”

He shook his head. “Wishful thinking. Apparently it’s a known problem with the Bearers up in Canterlot. The Night Princess can’t access their dreams, something to do with when they actually became Bearers. A magical overload is the best answer we’ve been able to find out.”

He permitted himself a small smile.

“But we do know they are not in Ponyville at the moment. So thanks more to luck than planning…” He winced at that. “The mission is still viable. Keep trying to reach Sharp Fang. I want to know the minute we have contact again.”

The report floated in front of the minister again.

“He needs to know this. He will have to make an on-site decision, when he’s reached Ponyville, on whether to proceed or not. And hopefully, Quick Blade will not have to assume command.”

He looked up at his secretary.

“Don’t get me wrong, I want Icefang back as much as the next pony, maybe more than most realize, but retrieval of her amulet is now the most important objective for the entire clan right now.”

“Yes sir.”

As his secretary left, the minister unlocked a drawer and took out a plain file made by his predecessor.

He stared at it without opening it. “This is all thanks to you. I’m glad I retired you in time to prevent this. All these years we’ve survived by not being noticeable, by hiding in the shadows... and you wanted to jeopardize it all by openly attacking Canterlot and the Princesses.”

He sneered at the file. “We’ve carved out a niche here. Got power and influence now. We are very comfortable here thank-you-very-much. And if you’d succeeded... we’d have had the entire Equestrian army on our doorstep, within the week, baying for our blood. Not to mention the Day Princesses herself would probably be leading it.” He shivered at the thought. “And then most of us would’ve rather slit our own throats rather than risk being taken alive by her.”

He looked up and smiled without humor. “Oh, and let’s say you succeeded beyond all expectations, that you actually managed to kill both princesses in the attack, did you have a plan on how to raise and lower the sun afterwards? Had you even thought about that eventuality? Or were you too focused on trying to restore us to past glories to even care?” The minister rubbed his chin. “Hummm, you know, I wish I’d been able to ask you this before I retired you.”

He flipped to a marked page in the file.

Projected casualty rate of Canterlots' general populace at T-plus twenty-five minutes from spell ignition: 99%+

Appraisal of both Princesses being among fatalities -

Optimistic rating: Fair to good.
Realistic rating: Poor to fair.
Pessimistic rating: Negligible to poor.

Note: The caster themselves is projected to have a ‘very-good to excellent’ chance of survival. This would be down to the casters’ inherent abilities coupled with the amplifying effect of an active amulet. The combination of both of these factors would effectively make the caster ‘all-but-impervious’ to the extremely low-temperatures that would be generated by the spell. (See page 14 for power output, duration and area-of-effect projections.)

This would mean that the option to deploy the caster to other targets, after Canterlot, is a viable prospect. (Secondary targets listed on page 32.)

The minister shook his head as he closed the file. “As a defensive asset, to deter the princesses, it’s a sound theory. However, as an offensive asset like you’d envisioned…”

He put the file away in his drawer and locked it. “Madness. If you’d set off down this road we would’ve been damned if you had failed, and even more damned if you’d succeeded.”

* * *

Sunbeam lay unconscious on the bed roll. The mug of coffee in front of her was now long cold.

Rarity was seated next to the fire as the others lay in their beds.

Looking over at Sunbeam, she sighed before levitating the cold mug of coffee away from her.

Lifting her head, Rarity took a deep, calming breath.

The mix of the fire, the pine trees and the faint smell of the rhododendrons all joined together to create a relaxing scent.

Unseen by Rarity, Sunbeam’s nose twitched.

Author's Note:

A massive thank you to Greynoise for his editing.

If you spot any errors I missed, let me know and I shall attempt to rectify them. Constructive criticism welcome. I've still got stuff I need to learn after all.

Okay, only 3x Chapters left to update. I apologize, but it's taking a lot longer than I thought to do them. Rule 1 of planning a schedule: After working out how long you think something will take, times that number by three for a (more) realistic number.

PreviousChapters Next