• Published 11th May 2013
  • 9,279 Views, 1,082 Comments

Denuo Fortuna - Firecaller



She was a unicorn on the run. She needed somewhere to hide, somewhere quiet and boring. The tourist pamphlet was out of date but the place sounded ideal... Ponyville

  • ...
28
 1,082
 9,279

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 26 - Unpleasant Surprises

Chapter 26 - Unpleasant Surprises

In the midst of packing her saddlebags, Sunbeam paused to ponder the question she’d just been asked. “Humm… I’d have to say… a double mushroom pizza, with extra onion and sweetcorn. A cold beer to wash it down.”

A round of nods met the answer.

“A nice, thick, vegetable stew as made by Granny,” Applejack stated firmly.

Grinning, Sunbeam turned towards Rainbow and held out a hoof. Rainbow held up her hoof and shook her head.

“...With an apple pie and cider.” Finished Applejack.

Sunbeam’s grin faded and with hints of a scowl starting, levitated a single bit out of her saddlebags and flipped it nonchalantly towards Rainbow, who caught it midair.

“Hah! See, apples with everything.” A smug looking Rainbow crowed. Sunbeam’s gesture in return was carefully hidden so only Rainbow saw it.

Twilight looked around. “A daisy sandwich, with a side order of hay fries. Plus a nice white wine.”

Rainbow's response was cut off before she could finish it when Applejack, Pinkie, and Twilight all chorused: “Hay burger, fries and a soda!”

Pouting as she crossed her forelegs, Rainbow hovered next to the group and grumbled. “I do not always have the same thing.”

“Well, I suppose a tomato salad with green tea, would be nice when I get back.” Fluttershy ventured.

Mumbling something, Rarity finished with. “...And a Chateauhoof-du-Pape wine.”

Flying up next to Rarity, her forelegs still crossed, Rainbow looked her in the eye. “Say again Rares.”

Rarity, her left ear twitching in irritation, sighed. “Okay, uncouth as it may be… a cheesy hay fry sandwich… with a Chateauhoof-du-Pape red wine.” With a toss of her head, she added. “A lady is allowed some vices you know.”

“Me next, me next.” Pinky bounced. “Fried rice balls, with vodka.”

“And you Greywing?” Sunbeam inquired.

A faint smile formed as he thought. “Found a nice little place just outside the barracks in Canterlot that does a mean prawn curry. Would love to go back to get one.”

Waving a hoof in dismissal, Rainbow pulled a face at Greywing's suggestion. “Ugh, sea bugs.” Her face slowly transformed into a look of mischief. “How about some fish Sunbeam… I seem to recall you like fish”

“Blegh!” Sunbeam pulled a face herself at the suggestion. “Don’t Rainbow! Ever since our little eating contest, I can’t stand the thought of fish.” Sunbeam jabbed the hoof at a now grinning-madly Rainbow. “And you know it!”

As Rainbow and Sunbeam continued commenting on each other dietary habits, among other things, Twilight looked around the campsite, her gaze briefly stopping on the pile of spoiled food that should have been their breakfasts. Clapping her hooves together, interrupting Rainbow and Sunbeam, she spoke up. “Well, I suppose the lack of a breakfast will motivate us to get to the mining outpost sooner. All this talk of what we’ll eat when we get back isn't getting us anywhere. Let's get moving girls,” Twilight attempted to sound chipper. ”Only a couple of hours and then we can have a proper meal.”

Rarity spoke for the rest of group. “Twilight dear, you really do need to work on your motivational speeches.”

- - - - - - - -

Walking up to the door to Celestia’s private quarters, Luna gestured for her guards to remain outside before raising a hoof to knock.

“Come in Lulu.”

‘How does she always know it’s me?’

Walking in, Luna was treated to the sight of Princess Celestia before she presented herself to the public. Minus all her usual princess garb, her mane and tail tied back in rough ponytails and munching a spoonful of cereal from a levitated bowl, she wore a happy look at seeing her sister.

Swallowing the mouthful of cereal, she smiled at Luna. “Lulu, to what do I owe the honour this early in the morning? Or is that late last night for you?”

“It’s still last night for me and I must admit to feeling extremely fatigued at the minute. However I must speak with you, we may have a problem.”

Celestia nodded and took another mouthful of cereal. With both her ears aimed at her, Luna knew her sister was still paying attention to her, whatever else she may be doing.

“Tia, I tried to contact the mind, Sargeant Greywing, last night. No matter how hard I tried, I could not find him in the dreamscape. Now there are many reasons that...” Luna trailed off as a puzzled expression settled on her face.

Celestia set the bowl down. “Lulu, are you okay? You look…”

A detached part of Luna’s mind noted the floor tilt and rush up to her as she fell sideways. Laying there she could see Celestia’s mouth moving in shock as she rushed over to her, but she herself couldn’t hear anything. Even when the guards rushed in, spears ready and looking for any threat, there was no sound. Feeling her head being picked up, Celestia's face filled her vision, urgently mouthing her name over and over. Luna’s vision became grey as Celestia held her.

‘Tired… need to … sleep. Why Tia… look… look…’

Blackness edged her vision.

‘...So ...scared?’

Luna closed her eyes.

- - - - - - - -

Sunbeam, with her camouflage cloak pulled over as much of her as possible, carefully peered around the solitary tree on the crest of the hill. From there, she had a good view of the mining outpost below.

‘Ugh! Isolated cover. Okkaayyy, that mining outpost is more like a town. Time to observe and...’

“Whatcha up to Sunny?” Pinky asked, bouncing next to her.

Sunbeam’s expression never flinched as kept looking at the town below. “Hello Pinkie. What I am trying to do is: Not silhouette; not draw attention by movement; not draw attention by sound; and finally…” Sunbeam took a deep breath. “Trying my damnedest not to be bright pink in a green-and-brown landscape.”

Pinky nodded enthusiastically. “So it's like hide and seek then.” She looked down at the mining town. “So you’re like playing hide and seek with them. Should I wave?”

With a shrug, Sunbeam went and stood next to Pinkie. “I don’t see why not at this point. In fact…” Sunbeam raised a hoof and waved with Pinkie at the town below.

- - - - - - - -

Looking up, Twilight watched as Sunbeam and Pinky came back down the hill while the rest of the group lounged on the road, taking a break.

Sunbeam found herself resisting the urge to salute as she trotted up to Twilight. Sitting down, she looked back up the hill. “Given the size, that mining outpost is more like a town Twi.” Tapping her chin in contemplation, she added after a second. “And I’d say it's about another hour or so away.”

Twilight nodded. “So, what is your impression of it?”

Sunbeam tilted her head to one side. “I’d say… For its size… One sheriff and one deputy. Or guard equivalent. A high probability of a local militia made up of volunteers. They'd have light training and equipment, but they’d be tough ponies, given the location and type of town, so best not to underestimate them. Most likely all to be rugged individualists, so not too hot on co-operation. That can be both a plus and a minus. It does mean that pulling them together could take a while, so you’d have time to…” Sunbeam’s assessment tapered off at the look Twilight was giving her.

Sunbeam started again. “Ahem… The road leads straight up to what I take to be the mine, which consists of two large buildings and several smaller buildings. The big ones are probably warehouses for the ore, the smaller ones being administration and such like. About half a mile before the mine’s there's a crossroads, to the right is a collection of, in a rather haphazard pattern I must say, of what looks like living huts and houses. One big house, set away from the rest, is probably the foreman’s. On the left is one main street, Appaloosan style. Both sides are surrounded by woods and hills. That means the tree line is not too far away and once you get to it… So what's the plan Twi?”

The sudden question catching Twilight by surprise, she answered it rather than ask any of her own questions. “Go in, get supplies,” Twilight looked up at the sky, ”it took us longer than expected to get here, so maybe stay the night at an inn. A soft bed would be welcome after sleeping rough I must admit. Off in the morning. Keep as low a profile as possible.”

Smiling, Sunbeam nodded in approval. “Soft beds and low profiles suit me.”

Watching Twilight walk over to Greywing Sunbeam idly hummed as she drifted off into thought.

‘Right, low profile here Sunbeam. Don’t take off your cloak. Really need to include some dye into my ready bag. So, no doing anything to attract attention. Just be a meek little pony. My cutie mark is okay, but my back could still raise suspicions. I really wish I’d had a chance to dye that. Right, I don’t take off my cloak no matter what! Hum, I wonder how much my reward has gone up?’

“Sunbeam.”

‘Of note, the big building at the end of the street, is right next to tree line. So I need to aim to run towards that, that way I won’t end up getting turned around.’

“Sunbeam.”

‘Once in the woodland, aim uphill, that’ll generally take me away from town and stop me going in circles...’

“Sunbeam!”

Jumping, Sunbeam span round, placing a hoof on her chest. Incidentally, just where her daggers were under her cloak. “Damnit don’t do that!”

Twilight gave her a slow blink. “I called your name three times. We’re setting off.”

Giving Twilight a curt nod, Sunbeam mentally prepared herself. ‘Right, low profile Sunbeam… As low a profile as it is possible with: One Pinkie Pie; one drama queen; one pegasus with oh-so-subtle colours and attitude; one alicorn… one alicorn… oh buck!’

Sunbeam’s breath caught in her throat. Her voice came out as a hoarse whisper. “Twi! Wait up, Twi! I think I’ve spotted a flaw in the whole low profile thing…”

‘Oh they are sooo gonna get me caught.’

- - - - - - - -

“I assure my good doctor, I feel fine now,” Luna grumbled from her bed. “The effects of the toxin have passed for now and I promise to take things easier.”

Doctor Everhealth didn’t look up from his watch as he held her wrist. “That may be, but you need to remember that while your resistance is higher than normal ponies, you are not immune to the poison. And working too hard only exacerbates the situation, your highness.” His tone softened. “You gave everypony quite a scare when you collapsed like that, why Princess Celestia herself turned up at my house… what’s left of my house anyway, requesting my presence to attend you.

“What’s left of your house?” One of Luna's eyebrows lifted.

Still not looking up, doctor Everhealth continued in an almost a bored tone. “Well, the good Princess has stated that the treasury will pay for any damages and distress caused…”

Celestia took an interest in the ceiling.

The doctor continued. “Because when the Ruler of the land turns up at your house first thing in the morning and proceeds to rip off most of the front wall looking for you... Then gallops into your bedroom, before teleporting not only herself, and the good doctor you see before you, to the castle, but also his wife and the bed they were in at the time… Let's just say you're going make damn sure that the patient she wanted you to see is okay before you even think of leaving.”

Celestia took an interest in the floor. Avoiding Luna’s eyes.

Luna addressed the doctor in a perfectly calm voice. “Doctor, may I have a few minutes alone with my sister.”

Celestia nodded. “Doctor, I do believe that Princess Luna and myself need to clear a few points up.”

Doctor Everhealth could feel the fur on the back of his neck start to rise. “Actually, that’s a good idea.” With almost unseemly haste, left the room.

Luna waited until the door clicked shut. “Tia! What on earth possessed you? You’ve never acted like that before.”

Celestia, still watching the door the doctor had left by, let the silence stretch out before she answered. “Because it wasn’t you before!” Celestia turned to look at Luna.

Luna was shocked at how tired Celestia looked. “I can’t lose you again Lulu. Not again. I’ve seen empires rise and fall, too many good ponies come and go… And all through I’ve been a bastion of light and hope. Somepony all ponies could look to for stability. Never once showing pain… never allowed to show any pain.” Celestia closed her eyes. “All those years without you Lulu… Not letting anypony else get too close. Too scared to let anypony get too close… It would have been too much when they… Twilight wasn’t supposed…”

Celestia’s ears fell flat against her head as she looked up at Luna. “I was going mad Lulu!” Her voice softened. “I went mad Lulu... What I did after… after you went away was awful, I blamed them… I still do.” A fire erupted behind her her eyes. “And I’d do it again… I won’t let anything take you from me again… I need you, I need...”

The fire in Celestia’s eyes died before her head dropped, her voice low. “All those years in court, watching what I say. Knowing that the smallest wrong word could hurt so many... All that time, all that practice... And I still say the wrong things to you Lulu. I make it sound like it’s all about me... Just like before.” Her voice became strained. “Lulu, please forgive me, but you’re the only one I can… I, I thought I was strong, but I can’t face the thought of being alone again Lulu.”

“Tia, dearest sister…” Luna opened a wing towards Celestia as she looked up, gesturing for her sister to come to her, the wing remained outstretched.

With hesitant steps, Celestia approached Luna. Once close enough Luna wrapped her wing around Celestia’s neck as she lay down next to Luna.

The two sister lay side by side in the bed. Luna with a wing around Celestia, as Celestia buried her face into her sister's neck. “All those years… never able to show any emotion… all those years alone.” Princess Celestia, Ruler of Equestria, Riser of the Sun and a long list of other titles, voice cracked. “I’m so sorry Lulu, I’m so sorry… Please don’t ever leave me, please... don’t ever leave me alone again.”

Luna held her sister tighter.

- - - - - - - -

The door opened and Princess Celestia strode out and nodded to Doctor Everhealth.

“Princess Luna is now ready for you. Please express my apologies for my rash actions this morning to your good wife. The treasury will reimburse you for any costs my actions may have led to. Please consider the crown to be in your debt.”

Bowing, Doctor Everhealth tried to say something but only succeeded in open and closing his mouth a few times.

Looking around the room, Celestia could see it was filled with Lunar Guards, Solar Guards, courtiers, and assistants. They were all looking at her for reassurance and leadership.

“Princess Luna is going to be okay! With the ministrations of the good doctor here, she will be back with us in no time. But we still have a country to run and a crisis yet to resolve…” Celestia gave a small smile, “...my little ponies.”

Celestia strode down the hall, radiating calm and optimism to all.

- - - - - - - -

Sunbeam’s rear legs had given way, sitting there she stared at Twilight, as Twilight turned to present her left side, then her right to Sunbeam. Both sides without wings.

“I changed after your report on the... guard strength of the town.”

Sunbeam shifted uncomfortably at that as Twilight continued. “An alicorn can change their appearance to some degree. Enough to look like a normal pony anyway.”

Sunbeam tried to get her jaw working as an unpleasant thought formed. “Uhh, c-can all alicorns look like normal ponies? Like say, for instance, Ohh, I don’t know… Celestia! Could she be wandering around looking like…” Sunbeam’s voice became strangled, “a normal pony?”

Rainbow flew up next to a now nervous looking Sunbeam. “Yep, who knows, you might have already met her. Maybe at the market, maybe at the library, maybe even at,” Rainbow nudged her with an elbow, “the hospital…”

Sunbeam blinked then looked down at herself.

‘Lets see, all four legs still attached. Internal organs… still internal. And I’m not screaming at the spiders crawling around inside my skull.’

Sunbeam looked round at Rainbow. “I think I’d remember if I’d met her.”

- - - - - - - -

Everypony is looking at us.” Squeaked Fluttershy as they walked up the street.

“That’s to be expected,” Sunbeam stated. “These company towns do to tend to attract young stallions seeking their fortune. So a single stallion,” Sunbeam nodded towards Greywing, “leading seven young mares into a town filled with all those young, single, hot-blooded stallions... stallions with urges, urges that need to be met. Well, let's just say our presence here could be... misinterpreted.”

Sunbeam smiled slightly as she waited for the response.

Her smile grew at the chorus of “Ewwwww’s!” that followed.

That smile faded as she caught sight of the leering expressions on a group of three young stallions, stallions that started following them on the other side of the street.

‘Right now, I would willingly pay to be wrong.’

- - - - - - - - -

Looking up at the sign, Twilight nodded and turned to the rest of them. “This looks like the town’s inn. Rainbow, Applejack can you two go and see about procuring tents, sleeping bags and such like for eight ponies. We can meet back up here.”

“You gotcha boss.” Rainbow saluted and shot off as Applejack rolled her eyes at her friend's behaviour before following her.

“Rarity, can you and Pinkie see about getting us long-term provisions for eight ponies for a week’s worth of camping.” Twilight tapped her chin. “In fact, Greywing can you go with Rarity and Pinkie, give them any assistance they might need. I will go and see about food and lodgings for tonight, with Fluttershy and Sunbeam.”

Rarity nodded. “You can count on us Twilight.”

As Rarity’s group left, Sunbeam kept a close eye on the group of leering stallions. ‘Huh, trying to decide which group to approach are we? Groups of mares are scary aren't they! Well let's make this easy for you.’


Sitting down on the boarding outside the inn, Sunbeam made sure that Twilight and Fluttershy had gone in before turning her attention back to the stallions. ‘C'mon then, it’s just one, little, defenseless mare, all by herself, oh deary me, what shall I… Ah, there we go.’

Suppressing a smirk, she watched the three stallions cross the street and head straight for her.

‘That’s right, c’mon my brave little soldiers. One lone mare is obviously all that you ‘three studly stallions’ feel they can handle. Right, focus! Let's see... Two earth ponies and a pegasus. The big earth pony stallion in the middle is probably the leader. From the leers they were giving us, I do believe I am going to have to explain our presence here is not what they are thinking. Possibly with the aid of a pointy stick… Okay, nice and pleasant Sunbeam, low profile, quietly correct them and we can all be about our business, hopefully with little-to-no bloodshed.’

The lead stallion, a reddish-yellow pony, stopped and looked Sunbeam up and down, sizing her up. “Hello there darlin’, how much?”

‘Annnnd I already want to pull your intestines out through your nose... Smile, be nice….’

Sunbeam cleared her throat. “I do believe you might be mistaken about our presence here, sir. We are only passing through. We most certainly are not...”

“Well darlin', I’m sure after I’m done with you, you’ll want to stay for more.” A braying laugh followed.

Sunbeam ground her teeth. ‘No to the intestines thing! Be! Nice!’

“Sir. Let me restate that we are not…”

“I have the bits right here and I bet I can get you screaming my name.” He turned and laughed, this time, the other two stallions joined in.

Her expression turning blank, Sunbeam’s voice became low. “Oh… I‘m sure I can make you scream.”

Their laughter increased. The pegasus leaned towards the big stallion. “I liked the yellow pegasus, I bet she’s good in the sack.”

Her ear falling flat sideways Sunbeam looked them up and down. ‘Ugh, a combined IQ of single digits, coupled with ‘mummy never said no enough’, means I’m probably going to have to end up doing something... regrettable. Damnit, I’m trying to be nice here, I really am.’

Taking a deep breath in, Sunbeam tried to smile. ‘One more try, perhaps if I get the leader alone, where he doesn't have to show off to his friends, maybe I can convince him… Or at least I can minimize the witnesses.

Raising a hoof, Sunbeam pointed off into the alleyway next to the inn. “I think a more private location may be needed for the following negotiations.”

Getting up, Sunbeam trotted off towards the alleyway. The leader, almost falling over himself in his hurry to keep up, gestured to the others to stay put.

Lowering her head, Sunbeam shook it slowly. ‘Pathetic. I don’t think the head on his shoulders is the one doing the thinking at the minute.’ A slow, nasty smile spread on her face ‘Not many would willingly follow Icefang into an alleyway alone...'

The stallion almost walked into the back of her when Sunbeam stopped dead.

“Okay there darlin'?”

Not looking round at him, Sunbeam’s head lifted up, her words coming through gritted teeth. “I, am, Sunbeam!”

“Hey, don’t need to know your life story here darlin’.”

Still facing away from him, her head lowered, she whispered. “Let’s get this over with.” The whisper became a whimper. “I’m trying to be nice, I really am. Why does everypony make it so hard?”

- - - - - - - -

Walking into the Inn, Twilight's eyes took a moment to adjust to the gloom from the bright sunshine outside. A set of stairs to the left and the bar itself on the right, the rest of the room was dedicated to tables, nearly every one of which was in use. The only one that wasn't, had a large clear area around it, as if nopony wanted to get any closer to it than they had to.

An elderly unicorn, sweeping the floor with a levitated broom, passed close.

Stepping forward, Twilight tapped on her shoulder. “Excuse me ma’am. We’re looking for rooms for the night.” Even in the gloom,Twilight could make out her red-rimmed eyes, but she still tried to smile at back at Twilight.

“Sorry honey, but if you’ll take an old mare’s advice, you’ll jus’ keep on moving.” She looked her over. “But I can see you’re fixin’ to stay.” She turned her head towards the bar. “Ask behind the bar. Be warned though, she’s back tonight.” With that, she lowered her head and carried on sweeping. Twilight shivered at the tone, the old mare had said ‘she’ with enough venom to poison a full grown dragon.

- - - - - - - -

Placing a hoof under Sunbeam’s chin, he lifted her head to look up at him.

Sitting down, her teeth now almost welded together and her tail twitching nearly constantly, Sunbeam tried again. “Look, moron, I am trying to be nice here. Something you should really be appreciating, as being nice to you is hard, and getting harder by the minute.”

His leer grew at her words.

Sunbeam face-hoofed. ‘I’d say one track mind, but I don’t think it stretches that far.’ Dropping her hoof, Sunbeam looked at him, murder creeping into her eyes. “I will say it again. We... are not... of that... profession! Can you get that through your thick skull? I said no!”

Sitting down the stallion rubbed his chin a thoughtful expression forming.

Sunbeam felt a flicker of hope. ‘Is that a brain cell firing? Halleluja. See he just needed a little...’

“Pa says that all mares are heartbreakers. None of them know what they really want. Or their teasers.” The leer returned “Pa said there’s only one thing to do with teasers… An’ I think you’re a teaser.”

Sunbeam’s face lost all expression. ‘I will -so- hurt you! Then I think I’m gonna go visit your Pa and...’

Leaning forward, causing her to flinch, he whispered into her ear. “Jus’ lay down an’ lift your tail. Then we can be start havin’ a good time.”

Sunbeam blinked slowly at him, not even aware of her own hoof slipping under her cloak until it touched the hilt of a dagger. Looking down with surprise, she carefully placed it back down on the ground, totally missing the stallion lifting his hoof towards her.

Sunbeam jumped when he stroked the side of her muzzle.

“Now you jus’ be a good little filly for me, an’…”

- - - - - - - -

Everypony inside the inn paused, turning to look at the wall where the loud thud had come from.

Twilight turned back to the innkeeper. “Look, those rates are nothing short of extortionate. I…”

The innkeeper kept polishing his glass. “Nows it’s forty bits, per night, per pony. Missy”

Stuttering into silence, Twilight sat down in shock and stared slack-jawed at the innkeeper. She didn’t even notice when Sunbeam trotted into the inn and seated herself next to her.

Sunbeam caught the innkeepers eye. “Hey, do you know a big earth stallion, reddish-yellow in colour?”

He gave her a questioning look. “Yellow mane?” Sunbeam nodded. “Yeah, that’s Blunt Spade’s son.”

“Well, he just ran straight past me and straight into the wall.” Sunbeam shook her head. “Damnest thing I’ve ever seen. Didn’t even slow down.” The innkeepers eyes widened. “He just slammed right into it.”

Fluttershy brought a hoof to her mouth. “Goodness, is he alright?”

Twilight, still sitting in shock at the innkeepers attitude, managed a “Huh?”

Sunbeam shook her head “Don’t think so, pretty sure he has a concussion. When I tried to talk to him he’s just babbled nonsense. He couldn’t tell me the right date, thinks Clover-the-Clever raises the sun and...” Sunbeam inspected her hoof, “is spouting something ridiculous about sweet-innocent-little-me throwing him against a wall.”

‘Several walls.’

Sunbeam cleared her throat. “I think he might need some medical help, his two friends seem to have run aw… abandoned him.”

A few patrons in the inn got up, only two actually headed off to get help.

‘Right, now to priorities.’ Sunbeam nudged Twilight. “So how are we fixed for rooms and soft beds Twi?”

Snapping back to the here-and-now, Twilight glared at the innkeeper. “The rates are just ridiculous, every time I said anything he just raised them even more. It’s just, just…argh.” Twilight stamped a hoof. “We’re going to be roughing it tonight.”

Sunbeam’s eyes narrowed. “And I’d set my heart set on a soft bed for tonight.” A pleasant smile formed. “Tell you what, I‘ll talk to the Innkeeper, see if I can change his mind. Twilight, would you mind waiting outside, a fresh start and all that.” Twilight opened her mouth, Sunbeam cut her off as she re-phased her request. “Consider it a new approach on an experiment, but I need to remove any previous personal bias influences that could invalidate the test results.”

At this, the Innkeeper snorted, but Sunbeam watched as Twilight, grumbling, but unable to find a flaw in Sunbeam’s argument, left. A concerned looking Fluttershy consoling her.

Turning back to the Innkeeper, Sunbeam smiled at him. “Can I ask your name?”

“Clean Glass.”

With small nods, Sunbeam repeated the name several times before looking back up at him.

“Well… Mr Clean Glass.” Her horn glowed and in one swift and violent motion, he was hauled over the bar until only his rear legs were resting on it, the rest of him was floating in mid-air between the bar and Sunbeam.

Her head snapping round to the remaining patrons, some halfway through getting up, her voice was like a whip-crack in the sudden silence. “Sit... Down!”

The ponies in the bar that had started to get up hesitated and then returned to their drinks. They’d been through enough already not to worry about another ‘tough’ pony. The collective thought was variations along the lines of: ‘She was back tonight and she’d put this new pony into her place, besides, better the devil you know.’

She turned back to Clean Glass, making sure her voice carried. “All my ‘nice’ has been used up for today. I want a soft bed tonight and I am going to get one…” She leaned a little closer to Clean Glass. “Even if I have to use yours!” Her voice became a snarl. “My only offer… four rooms, five bits per room. And as a bonus...” Sunbeam’s tone turned pleasant as she held up a hoof. “You get my continued goodwill… An amazing bargain let me tell you.”

Leaning forward until her nose was almost touching his, Sunbeam looked him in the eye and smiled. Serving behind the bar for years now, Clean Glass prided himself on knowing when he could safely throw patrons out... and when it would be best to go hide and hope the damage was minimal. He looked into Sunbeam’s eyes.

“K-K-Keepsake… Get the keys… Get the keys! Now damnit now!”

Gently placing him back down, Sunbeam continued to smile at him as if nothing had happened. ‘I tried to be nice, I tried so hard… Nice wasn’t working. So I’d be stupid to keep trying something that wasn’t working. I’m not in Ponyville, so I can relax a bit.’

Her inner voice agreed. ‘Yep, you can relax, you can chill, you can be yourself… Icefang!’

- - - - - - - -

Sitting in the corner of the inn, a pegasus and a unicorn calmly watched Clean Glass get hauled over the bar. Turning his towards the unicorn mare, the pegasus gestured towards Sunbeam with his head.

The unicorn looked at a small device held in a hoof under the table, then shook her head.

She whispered back to him. “Below average magic reserve. Limited use as a magical asset. Besides, we’ve been waiting for that one,” she nodded towards the empty table, “for two days now. From the stories alone, her magic reserve should make her a major asset, so I’m not gonna waste time on small fry. What I’ve also heard is that she likes to make an entrance, so we should know when she gets back. I’ll check her out, then we persuade her to join us.”

She tilted her head to one side until her neck clicked.

“One way or another.”

- - - - - - - -

Twilight was practically bouncing on the spot. “I can’t believe you persuaded him to let us have the rooms so cheap Sunbeam!”

‘Could have got him to give us the rooms for free Twilight, but paying him, even a little, makes them feel like they haven't been totally humiliated. Thus drastically reducing the chance of them doing something... unfortunate.’

Sunbeam shook her head as she realised Twilight has been still talking to her. “Sorry Twi, what did you just say?”

“He was being so, so… obstructive. It was like he didn’t want us there. How did you…”

Sunbeam pointed at Rarity, Pinkie, and a loaded down Greywing, heading towards them. “Oh look, Rarity’s back. Poor old Greywing looks like he really needs help there, I’ll be right back.”

Sunbeam galloped off to help Greywing as Twilight watched her go. Twilight slowly brought a hoof up and rubbed her chin. “Hummm.”

- - - - - - -

Sitting outside the inn, the rest of the group watched Rainbow and Applejack return. Applejack was pulling a wagon loaded with gear while Rainbow flew next to her, sporting a new hat that looked suspiciously like Applejack's old one. Twilight noted that Rainbow was flying just far enough away to be staying out of Applejack's reach.

“Twi, ah got the gear in the wagon. Not the best, but all they had. If you wanna grab it, I’ll go return the wagon.” Applejack’s voice turned sour. “An’ get ma’ deposit back. Saying I don’t look trustworthy… the nerve…”

The gear was levitated out, encased in three different colour aura’s

“Okay Applejack, we’ll take these up to our rooms and start sorting them out. Stairs are on the left just after you go in. We’re in the first rooms you come to.” Turning, Twilight headed off into the inn, the others following.

Clean Glass scowled as the group walked in. As Sunbeam walked in she suddenly stopped and looked straight at him. Shying away, Clean Glass looked at the floor almost instantly. With a nod, Sunbeam continued, heading upstairs.

Keepsake tapped Clean Glass on the shoulder. “I think she’s almost as scary as her.” He gestured to the empty table in the middle of the inn.

Clean Glass nodded but didn’t say anything for a minute, just staring at the table. ‘She is ‘hurts you for fun’ scary.’ He glanced at the way Sunbeam had gone. ‘But she was just… cold.

He pointed to the same table as Keepsake had. “She’s back tonight.” He then pointed upwards and swallowed, “And with her being here as well… Two scary ponies in the same room, at the same time... Keepsake! Remove all the breakables possible from the bar. This is going to be a bad night, I just feel it.”

‘I don’t know what the pony upstairs can do, but I do know that’ he glanced at the table, ‘she killed the marshal and her deputy. We’ve all heard stories of what she’s done, even if only half of it is true, the one upstairs doesn’t have a chance. I tried to stop them, I tried to get them to leave, in my own way… What happens to them now is all their fault.’

- - - - - - - -

Sitting at the table close to the middle of the inn, Sunbeam played with her food.

Sat next to Sunbeam Rarity looked over at her in exasperation. “Why did you order it if you don’t you like it? And, I must ask, are you going to insist on wearing that cloak everywhere?”

Sunbeam continued to push the food around without looking up. “Yes to the cloak thing, as for the food thing, I love the dish. It’s just....”

‘Oh come on you stupid mare, it's not drugged. All the others are all fine... A slow acting drug maybe? Stop us from waking up at night as they creep into our rooms?’

Rarity arched an eyebrow. “Sunbeam! Will you please just eat that.”

Sunbeam’s ears fell flat out to the sides. “Fine! I’ll eat it.”

‘And if we end up horribly murdered in our sleep, I’ll blame you.’

Hesitantly, Sunbeam brought the fork up as Rarity turned back to her nearly finished meal.

The door behind her slammed open and a voice called out. ‘I’m baaaack!’

Her fork floating inches from her mouth, both of Sunbeam’s ears twitched. ‘And you’re also annoying.’ Looking up in exasperation, she had a clear view of Clean Glass, looking at her with anxiety. ‘I really don’t like the way he’s...’

Clean Glass took a deep breath, looking at Sunbeam all the time, and shouted out.

“Icefang is here!”

Sunbeam’s fork fell to the floor. Her lips started to pull back as she went to rise.

“Hello Icefang.” The rest of the inn chorused in a flat tone.

Sunbeam slumped back down as her legs failed her. Her breathing becoming rapid and shallow as her eyes darted back and forth around the crowded room. No pony lifted their head to look at her, all remained unnaturally still, staring at their drinks. ‘A-a-a trap! T-too many, too close...’ Sunbeam clutched her amulet, still desperately looking around the room. ‘Too many… There's t-too many. I’m so... ’

A green unicorn mare... with a white back... trotted past Sunbeam.

Clean Glass hastily placed a bottle of tequila onto the bar. “Y-your drink Icefang, ma’am.”

With a snort of dismissal, ‘Icefang’ grabbed the bottle with her mouth and trotted off towards the empty table. A pegasus and an earth pony following close behind her.

Looking over at Sunbeam, Rarity sighed. Daintily dabbing the corners of her mouth with a napkin before leaning over, she lightly placed her hoof under Sunbeams chin... and gently closed her mouth.

“It's rude to stare dear.”

Author's Note:

As usual, see anything wrong... spelling, grammar, continuity, let me know and I will see what I can do.

In the original draft it veered a lot closer to 'mature' territory, especially around the Mr 'Leering-Stallion' part. Had to tone it down a bit as Sunbeam's opinions and threats were not family friendly. Threats concerning removal of certain part of his anatomy and their subsequent use thereof... definitely not.

PreviousChapters Next