• Published 4th May 2013
  • 15,363 Views, 910 Comments

The Watcher: Rise of the Purveyor - GnollReader



After two hundred years of absence, the purveyor returns to Equestria. For the better, or for worse.

  • ...
27
 910
 15,363

Chapter 24: City of the Unborn

Princess Celestia had seen many things in her long life, both strange and terrifying; but nothing, not even her one journey into the void at the purveyor's side could have prepared her for what she found in the depths of the empty crater city.

They were countless. No matter how long she traveled the dark tunnels and how deep she went, the walls were lined with countless chambers of glass and metal; and inside she saw what was going to be the creation of a new race upon Equis. Little, fragile bodies suspended and unmoving in a substance she could not discern. Suspended in time for seemingly all eternity.

Slowly, she traveled on; her own light casting eerie shadows along the tunnels as she stole glances at the little faces. She knew that there was no life in them, for no matter where she looked and how far her senses reached there was only silence to be heard. No movement, no sounds other than that of her own hooves on the hard floor. And yet, it almost felt as if they all were watching her pass; waiting for their creator to return and bring them life.

It was terrifying to her. Celestia had hoped her aimless walk would calm her troubled mind, but every chamber she passed made her more and more aware of the impact her pact with the purveyor would have on her world.

And even with her thoughts and doubts already in turmoil, she still found herself unable to believe what she was seeing when she finally reached what could only be the main chamber.

At first, the only thing her light brought forth was a railing; heading off both to the left and the right with the walls holding more chambers as the path slowly disappeared out of her light and into the darkness. Beyond the railing only black, empty space greeted her both upwards and downwards.

For a short moment Celestia paused to take a breath and calm herself, her light dying down before bursting to life once more with new-found vigor; a shining, miniature star that shone from her horn before detaching itself and starting to travel forwards and upwards. And as the light grew brighter and brighter, Celestia could finally see the true expanse of the purveyor's work.

It was a huge shaft; wide enough to make it hard for her to see the other side and deep enough so that even with her renewed light she could not see the end of it in both directions. And all over the walls of the shaft, stacked upon seemingly endless levels in rank and file were more chambers; every one of them carrying an empty host waiting for a soul.

"I see you found your way into one of the main shafts," the sudden break in the silence caused her to whirl to her left in surprise. There, barely at the edge of her light the purveyor stood motionlessly; his mask of polished glass the only thing showing clear form in the darkness. "Has your curiosity been sated?"

Celestia stared at him, unable to find an answer at first but then allowing his words to sink in. "One of the main shafts?" she whispered with dread. "How many more are there?"

Mine...

The purveyor stepped forward, detaching himself from the darkness and slowly walking towards her. "There are eight shafts in total... holding two-hundred-fifty-thousand and six-hundred-thirty chambers."

Children...

"Two-hundred-fi-" Celestia stopped herself from repeating the word in her shock and let her gaze travel over the countless chambers again. "So many," she whispered in silent disbelief before turning back to him. "How will all of them survive in this land? It will be chaos!"

"No, Celestia..." Zaeres shook his head. "Only so few. There are millions that followed me here, millions that still cling to me and all of them wait for a new life." He turned his head towards her after a short glance at the bottom of the pit. "And they will not awaken all at once. There will be a delay... to ensure that their numbers do not get too large at once."

"And those that remain without a body?"

"I will find a way to bind them to this place," Zaeres quietly spoke. "They will become the souls of the newborn, as will those that die. Reincarnation, if you will so. Once their numbers grow over those I brought with me... new souls may be born."

Creation...

Celestia turned her attention back to the pit, trying her best to suppress a shudder and ignore her dry mouth. "And how will they find their way out? There is no light in these tunnels."

"They will find their way by instinct," he replied. "Also, there is a fluorescent algae living on the surface of these walls. The light they supply will be faint at most, but it will be sufficient."

"How did you do all of this?" the question caused Zaeres to turn back to Celestia. "How did you build all of this within only a few days? Even with your power, the knowledge all of this requires is-"

"Not of this world?" The purveyor allowed a tired laugh to escape him. "I was a scientist, before my..." a bitter smile found its way onto his lips as he spoke the word. "Duty. I was among those that planned and built the old city... and I was the first to find how to bind the void." Zaeres took a moment to allow one of his hands to trail the railing and push back his pained memories. "But even so, this is the best I could do."

Celestia felt a strange shiver run down her spine as he started to approach her. "Now," the purveyor spoke with a strangely anxious voice. "Are you ready to begin your work and finish mine?"

Completion.


"Serra'lhi... Serra'ihl?" Twilight shook her head in distress. "No! That can't be right!" she rubbed both sides of her head with her hooves, trying to wake her tired mind as she sat hunched over countless papers and more ancient writing. "Why is this so hard?!" She slammed both hooves onto the table, surprising herself at her sudden outburst and cringing as the sound echoed through the huge library.

"Spike," she mumbled through closed eyes and a growing headache. "Can you-" she broke off as she looked up, only to find herself alone. "Oh..." she hung her head as she was once again reminded that Spike was no longer here. He had returned after a brief time of absence; only to bid her goodbye and leave again. He had headed back to Ponyville and left her behind; sad, depressed and at a loss of what to do or how to feel.

Twilight sighed in dismay, Spike's departure had left her with a feeling of emptiness she could not describe. Her friends, her brother, her family; all of them had left her and now, Spike had as well. Was it something she had said? Had a word spoken without care sparked all of this long ago, or had it simply been a matter of time for this to happen?

She couldn't decide how to feel. She felt many things; guilt, sadness, and even anger. For some reason, even though she repeatedly told herself that she should respect his decision she could not help but feel betrayed. Was her entire life going to be spent in solitude? In servitude of a being she did not know for certain she could trust or even understand?

Twilight had spent hours searching her feelings in vain, but only found more questions. And when she had finally decided to calm her mind by continuing her research she had quickly found another brick wall to her thoughts.

It was a list of commands for the golems, she was sure of it. One of them had brought it to her after she tried to communicate in vain. Yet no matter how long she tried to decipher the commands and work on the pronunciation, the silent beings of stone and marble did not respond. They simply continued to move in silence, passing her table unheeded of her words and only stopping occasionally to set down a new book or taking back one of those she had already given up upon.

"This is hopeless," she groaned. "I'm going to have to ask him for help with this." A heavy sigh escaped her at the thought and she looked at the page in the book with a small flash of anger. "Why couldn't they have written it in a simpler way? How am I even to know which letters are silent and which are-" she deadpanned as she watched the word before her and remembered something. "The 'h' in Mel'anch is silent..." she whispered to herself.

Twilight looked up in time to see one of the golems silently put a crystal cauldron filled with water onto her table along with a delicate glass. She looked down at the word before her, then up again as the golem was about to take its leave.

"Serra'i."

The golem stopped in its motion, turned around to face her; and then without a sound, it knelt on the ground before her and stopped moving altogether.

For a short moment, she could only stare at the unmoving being. Then, a small laugh escaped her. "The 'h' is silent.." she whispered again with a small smile before quickly grabbing a quill and making a note on a piece of parchment. "Serra'hi [Serra'i]: Kneel."

Twilight looked up at the golem with a smirk and then reached out to pull the book closer to her. "Let's see," she mumbled as she searched the words. "How about this one?" she gave the golem an expectant look. "Mer'ja."

The golem did not move.

"Mmm." Twilight looked at the word again and furrowed her brow. "Maybe," she looked up again. "Mer'jal?"

This time, the golem showed reaction. No sooner had she spoken the word, the golem stood up again; arms pressed against its sides as it stood straight and motionlessly before her once more.

Twilight smiled and made another note. "Merh'ijalh [Mer'jal]: Stand," she gave the golem a short glance and made an addition to the note. "At attention?" she chuckled at her own uncertainty, feeling slightly better about herself for the time being. It was a success, a small one, but still one she would treasure.

"Let's see now," she returned her attention to the book and searched for the next word she would try. "This one looks promising." She looked up at the golem with a smile and gave a determined nod. "Zean'et."

The result was to this was suprising to say the least. The golem stood silent for a moment, then simply walked off along a corridor framed by two of the countless book shelves; but before a corner it stopped, and looked back at her.

"Is it.." Twilight furrowed her brow "Waiting for me?"

The figure made from marble kept silent, its features unmoving as it remained standing, the empty face turned towards her.

She pushed herself of the chair she had been using, and silently she began to follow the silent guardian of the library; the golem leading her along shelf after shelf.. and finally down masterfully crafted and decorated flights of stairs, deeper into the depths of the ancient library.

Author's Note:

I felt some changes were needed to the last part of this chapter before i could start a new one.