• Published 4th May 2013
  • 15,357 Views, 910 Comments

The Watcher: Rise of the Purveyor - GnollReader



After two hundred years of absence, the purveyor returns to Equestria. For the better, or for worse.

  • ...
27
 910
 15,357

Chapter 5: The Barrier

After leaving behind a terrified Kalseru, the purveyor felt a slight passing of enthusiasm overcome him for the first time in eons. His meeting with the old dragon had proven more than interesting, he had managed to find himself an ally before the actual council had even started. With the old dragon's support, it would be much simpler to stake his claim.

He wondered though, was Nithhogr actually trustworthy? He had been grinning while Kalseru had whimpered at the purveyor's display. He knew that the old dragon was not one to simply take interest in the world around him, there was an intent hidden behind his actions.

It didn't matter, he would find out with time... and Nithhogr would most likely not survive another century. No matter what interest Nithhogr had in the rebirth of his race, the purveyor would make sure that he would not pose a threat. One way, or the other.

The void shifted around him once more, seeking out his next destination. There were still a few of the younger and lesser deities left, but he felt no need to survey the present situation more; they would pose no threat.

The next deity however, was a different matter altogether. He had always been a threat to the purveyor's work, his actions always threatening to overthrow order and corrupt the energy he had worked so relentlessly to collect.

Zaeres' vision aligned itself. He had found him. His mere presence still served to disrupt the flow of the world around him. Even encased in a prison of stone, Discord stood true to his name. Of all the deities, his very existence was by far the most troubling one. Not by his powers alone, but by the fact that his actions were simply completely unpredictable.

The purveyor observed Discord's trapped form from the shadows, studying every move in the flow, scrutinizing every inch of the underlying fabric that formed the deity's prison, searching for any sign of weakness.

He couldn't see any signs of weakness in the prison, but the chaotic nature of Discord had eluded him often enough. Even the smallest disturbance in the net could be enough, and Discord's very form constantly served to create them. It was an elusive prison, and it could break at a moment’s notice.

Zaeres did not know what preparations the alicorns had made for such a scenario, and he did not care. Whether the alicorns had regained their powers over the elements or if new incarnations would be born with time, it was not important. If Discord would pose a threat, he would be dealt with.

But for now, Zaeres would leave him unaware of his existence. He would not spur Discord's interest by appearing to him earlier than necessary, and he was hesitant to threaten him as well; Discord would likely take it as a challenge to interfere. The draconequus would one day break through his prison again, Zaeres was sure of it, and he would attend the subject when it became a problem. Until then, he would wait... and prepare.

The purveyor allowed his vision to lose itself again, and his mind reached out far. Across the main continent of Equestria, beyond the expanse of Eternity's Crossing, Camelu, White Pass and into the Lost World. There, behind the seemingly endless salt desert this world knew and feared as the Empty Plains, he found the Barrier. The last border of legends, a place so hazardous and empty of life that not even the dragons dared to tread it.

It was perfect for his intentions. The purveyor stepped out of the void and into the ragged world of never-sleeping volcanoes and fire. For a moment, he allowed himself to take in the scene before him. This place of the world was still young, it still moved and struggled to take shape. Here, a new part of the world was being born before his eyes, and it was here that he intended to bring his race back into existence.

The purveyor closed his eyes, the whispers in his mind starting to roar as he reached out even further. Down into the very fibers that held the existence of this word, where the net of his void was lying in wait for him, filled with the life of countless generations passed.

He reached out, everything became silent... and his mind touched it, shuddering as he felt the life of a whole world at his command, making the volcanic earth beneath his feet shake as he started to pull more and more of the energy out and into his own form.

When the connection was finally established and secured, the purveyor started his work. Above and beneath him, the world shuddered and roared... The Barrier was his now, and he would shape it to his wishes.

---

She felt it. Just like two hundred years ago, Celestia felt a tremble go through the world like a scream. Next to her, Luna shook with terror. "Tia! What is happening?"

Celestia watched the sky with concern. The source of the disturbance was far away, but even here she could feel it so clearly it put fear into her mind. And she knew that only he could be causing it.

"Wait here," she said, spreading her wings. "I will see what is happening."

Celestia took off into the air. Once she had reached a certain height, she closed her eyes and concentrated, pinpointing the source of the disturbance and realizing with dread that it lay within the Barrier. Her horn lit up as she summoned her magic, and with a flash of light she teleported herself to it.

---

The moment she appeared over the Barrier, her senses and body were attacked with enough force to almost rip her out of the air. All around her, clouds and thunder roared through the air at an unimaginable pace. Celestia frantically flapped her wings to gain height. When she had ascended above the roaring air, she looked down... and into a roaring maelstrom of darkness.

Beneath Celestia, the world itself had come to life. Storm clouds roared around her in a gigantic whirlwind, and below, mountains and earth alike shattered and crumbled before her very eyes. Volcanoes grew from the earth in a display of fire and flowing stone only to die again in mere moments, time seemingly flowing at a maddened pace. The earth itself moved, reality changed before her eyes. And in the center of it all, surrounded by the roaring shadows and with his arms stretched outwards, stood the purveyor.

Celestia watched in terror, as the purveyor changed the face of the Barrier forever.

Celestia saw him lift his arms, and she felt another tremble shake the air with enough force to make her mind scream in agony. Beneath her, she saw the ravaged earth break open and fall down, opening a crater wide and deep enough to hold a mountain. And guided by the purveyor's will it still continued to deepen.

The shadows started to reach out and into the pit, the earth they touched within the crater starting to move and realign itself... just like she had seen so many years ago in the tower of the purveyors. Slowly, the walls and earth within the endless pit started to take form and patterns started to become clear.

Celestia watched, as the purveyor made a new, endless city rise from shattered earth and shadows.