• Published 4th May 2013
  • 15,350 Views, 910 Comments

The Watcher: Rise of the Purveyor - GnollReader



After two hundred years of absence, the purveyor returns to Equestria. For the better, or for worse.

  • ...
27
 910
 15,350

Chapter 1: Return

Princess Celestia watched, torn between shock, concern and wonder as the purveyor stood at the shattered window to the old newborn station in utter silence. Only the small music box in his hand continued to play in the silence around them as he stared into the old room.

Just like two hundred years ago, his face was covered by the impenetrable blackness of his polished mask. And just like she remembered, the shadows softly swirled around his form. But there was a difference: unlike before, the shadows now carried small traces of red; the crimson lines intertwining with the black mass around him, disappearing into his form only to reappear at another position.

"You're back..." she finally whispered. Fear and worry started to spread over her face, "Does this mean..."

"No." he replied without looking at her, "The time has not come yet... I still can not hear the cycle approach."

She breathed out in relief but continued to watch him with concern, her worst fear pushed aside for only a moment.

"What happened?" she asked after an agonizing moment of silence.

The music box stopped playing, the last notes from the little machinery echoing through the empty corridor softly. He closed his hand around the delicate device and returned it to his robes before turning around slowly to face her. For a moment, Celestia thought she could hear a whisper go through the old halls of Canterlot Central.

"We died." He stated with a grave voice. "Just as I commanded, the void came and swallowed everything..." he paused for a moment. "How long was I gone?"

"For over two hundred years..." Celestia replied with a sad voice. Many of her beloved subjects had left during that time, and many new ones had come to leave just like the others. No matter how much she tried, remembering the loved ones she had lost to time always saddened her.

"Two hundred years... It felt like more time had passed..." he said with an impassive voice. "Then again, the void never had a real time line of its own, and without the order we imposed on it..." his thoughts trailed off to the time spent in solitude within the void, countless decades spent in silence. For all he knew, thousands of years could have passed unnoticed by him and in utter darkness. Until...

"What happened to you?" His thoughts were interrupted by Celestia. Again, for a moment she thought she could hear a whisper on the verge of her hearing. But there was no one here except for him and herself.

He looked into her face. "I changed..." he paused for a moment. "When the void came to swallow us, I waited for it to consume me as well... but it never did. Instead, I floated through the darkness aimlessly, waiting for my end to come... but nothing happened." Celestia shuddered at the thought of spending an eternity in that place. "So I did what I have always done, I waited... and I listened..." his voice was almost a whisper now. "And I learned."

He turned away from her to look through the broken windows once more. "I had almost forgotten what the void sounded like... but with my race gone it was finally quiet enough for me to hear its whispers once more. So I listened... and I changed..." he held out his hand and immediately, shadows started to form from the walls and items around him, traveling through the air and towards his open hand from all directions.

"The void I once embedded this world with is still present..." he allowed the shadows to curl themselves around his arm. "As is its bond with me..." the shadows slowly fell from his arms and retreated into their surroundings again. "It shall be of use for me..."

"What do you mean?" Celestia asked with worry.

"Can you not hear them? Even when I still lock my mind from your thoughts you should be able to hear them..."

Celestia's eyes widened, there it was again. Nothing more than a breath, but it was there. A whisper in the air around her.

"Now..." the shadows from his form started to grow and reach out to her. As the black wall roared around her she could make out the whispers even clearer, and she could hear his voice; "See, what I see..." he performed the phase shift, the world around her vanished.

What Celestia saw next would haunt her for the rest of her life. She saw the purveyor stand alone in the darkness, and roaring like a storm above him, she saw them.

Millions of them; uncountable to the eyes alone, roared around him in an endless maelstrom. Souls, innumerable souls... and all of them were screaming.

She could hear most of them scream at her in anger and frustration, while others begged for mercy or cried for lost loved ones. And while most roared there were also those that stayed the closest to his form, only whispering softly in short sentences and with broken words. The pleas and screams around her were deafening and Celestia had to struggle to keep herself from falling to her knees.

Celestia looked down, and saw the purveyor stand at the center of the vortex, his mask removed and a strange expression on his face as he observed the storm around him in silence.

Then, with a motion of his hand the screaming stopped, and the vortex slowed down. Only a soft murmur remained as the souls continued to drift around him at a slow speed.

"Who are they?" she whispered in fear.

"As I drifted through the darkness, I only realized too late that it would be nothing but a matter of time until they found me..." he spoke without looking down, "And after an eternity of listening to the void, the first of them did. It took time for all of them to arrive... but as I was the only thing that remained of their old world they were drawn to me like moths to an open flame."

The purveyor turned to her, and Celestia felt a shiver run down her spine as she looked into the impenetrable darkness of his eyes, "They are the souls of those lost to the void... the dreams and memories of my lost kind... and now... now that they are bound to my form and are finally able to leave the void with me again, I shall fulfill their desire."

Celestia took a step back, dreading what he was about to say next. The mask reformed on his face, and the world around her changed back to the old Canterlot Central hospital. The souls were gone again, but she could still hear their murmurs carry through the air softly as the shadows retreated from her form.

He stood before her, observing her in silence and waiting for her response.

"Why have you returned?" she whispered, afraid of the answer.

"I have come carrying the lost souls and forgotten dreams of my race along with my own, and now... I have the chance to give them what I was unable to give them for so long... A new life, outside of the void."