• Published 4th May 2013
  • 15,360 Views, 910 Comments

The Watcher: Rise of the Purveyor - GnollReader



After two hundred years of absence, the purveyor returns to Equestria. For the better, or for worse.

  • ...
27
 910
 15,360

Chapter 9: Words unspoken

Twilight told us that nopony else would read these.

The purveyor raised an eyebrow as he read Rainbow Dash's letter, the writing looked like something he would expect from a child.

I'm not really sure what to write to you. I don't even really understand what happened, and I'm not sure I want to know. Don't get me wrong, you're still super creepy, and I didn't say a word to anypony, I swear. But if you think you can just expect us to sit around quietly while our world is at stake, you're wrong. We'll find a way to rescue it. Or at least Twilight will. I hope. She's always the one with the good ideas, so I think we'll do fine.

The purveyor shook his head with a sigh as he continued to read.

Fluttershy told me what you did.

This next sentence made a huff of surprise escape his lips.

And I guess, I should thank you. I mean, it's not that I trust you, and you still creep me out, but Fluttershy was really happy about it so I guess... thanks.

The letter ended there, which surprised him even more. He had somehow expected her letter to hold more boasting or elements of her tomboyish demeanor.

He turned the letter over and a hint of a smile found itself onto his lips, there it was: she had drawn a picture of herself kicking him in the head, and had written "That's you! Don't tell Fluttershy!" in big letters beneath it. She had drawn in stink lines around him too...

Zaeres closed the letter and put it in the back of the small parcel, opening the next letter as he did. As he scanned the writing a small curse formed at the back of his throat... this one was from Rarity. And by the looks of things, it was all about his lack of taste and fashion. He was about to close it again, but then the last paragraph caught his attention.

We were all devastated by what you said to Twilight... I think it still hurts her that she couldn't do anything to help the princess. But I think you are wrong.

He raised an eyebrow.

Even if all things come to an end someday, and no matter how inevitable you say it is... you are wrong. Hope always prevails, and kindness is forever remembered by those we care for. We may be forgotten with time, or we may not... but our love and hope will be carried on by those after us. The next generation will pick up the fight for our world when we can no more, and this thought fills me with hope for our future. As long as our hearts are filled with hope, this world is safe.

The purveyor frowned as he read the last words of her letter.

And if you ever dare talk like that to poor Twilight again, I will personally destroy you!

He didn't read any further but closed the letter instead. The shadows covering his form twitched in response to his mood. What an insufferable mare... did she really believe that their world could prevail on nothing but hope and good intentions?

Zaeres did not even need to open the next letter to know who it was from, the pink envelope alone already told him which pony had written it. True to his suspicion, a small cloud of confetti escaped the letter as he opened it. There was no doubt now, this was Pinkie Pie's letter.

He started to read.

Did you like the cupcake I sent you?

He felt a shiver run down his back.

I baked it just for you and made it extra-superliciously sweet!

The words even had little balloons drawn in between them.

Twilight said she couldn't send it, so I just did it myself though I don't know when it will reach you. I'll write down the recipe just to be sure, so you can make it yourself if you feel hungry again! First, take two cups of sugar...

The purveyor closed the letter with an annoyed shake of his head... he had almost expected something like this from her. He would never be able to truly understand how anyone could be so carefree.

As he closed the letter though, he noticed that there were words written on the back of the envelope.

I knew you'd probably not be interested in the recipe, so I continued here.

He groaned.

I just wanted to tell you that I know you care, even if you don't think so. And I know that when the time comes, you'll realize it too and make the right decision.

The purveyor eyed her words for a short moment, letting them sink into his mind as held the letter in his hands. A sigh escaped his lips, and as if fearing he would discover any more hidden messages, Zaeres put it on the back of the parcel.

The purveyor opened the next letter, and by the writing... this one was probably from Fluttershy. What surprised him though, was how short it was.

I wanted to thank you again for helping the little mouse, that was really nice of you. I hope you are alright, wherever you are and if you ever do need a hug

The words cut off there, and Zaeres could almost see Fluttershy flushing furiously over her own letter.

I don't know what happened while the princess was gone, but she looked really sad when she came back. I know that sometimes bad things happen,

The purveyor frowned, did she think he was a child?

but you'll always get better again if you don't give up on yourself. If you someday do come back, please help the princess and Twilight save our world.

Zaeres closed the letter and added it to the bottom of the parcel, he was slowly starting to tire of their messages.

Applejack's letter was next, and it took him a lot of effort not to discard it the moment he saw it.

I'm not usually one to write letters. When I want something said I say it and just get it done with, but since I'm probably not going to see you again, I'll write this down. Of all the strange critters and things I have encountered in my life, you are by far the strangest one of the lot.

The purveyor felt a frown grow on his face, did she just call him a critter?

I have never in my life met someone as bitter as you.

He paused for a moment as he read those words.

I don't know what made you this bitter and I certainly ain't one to judge, but don't think we'll let you get us down in the pits. All of us have lost friends and loved ones, and we still keep on going anyway!

The issue of her parents... he remembered it just like he did so many other things; distant, and without emotion.

When life gets us down, we walk with our heads held high because we know that our friends and families will be there to support us. Being bitter doesn't get you anywhere and

There was a break in the line, something had caused her to pause at this part. The purveyor's eyes followed the text where it continued again.

I may have gone a bit overboard there. But I wonder, don't you have anyone to support you? Isn't there anybody who cares for you and doesn't fear you? I can't imagine that anypony would want to live like that. Surely, if you'd have a friend to

He did not read any further, he was sick of being lectured.

The purveyor shook his head with rising anger; what did she even know of the ones he had lost? Of the sacrifices he had made for the sake of those that had later cursed his name? It was one thing to lose your parents. It was one thing to lose your parents; tragic, he agreed, but that was simply the way of things. But for a father to bury his own child, he remembered how her body had felt in his arms, his tears...

The shadows around him became tinged with a deep red, slashing out around him and ripping into the ground.

In another moment he locked the memory away again, barring his mind from anything but his intent. The shadows around him returned to their normal state once more.

He looked at the parcel in his hand, there was just one more letter to be read. Twilight Sparkle's special report... With one hand, he reached out and picked up the report... and let go of the remaining letters, sacrificing them to the relentless storms of the Barrier in the process.

As the frail pieces of paper were ripped away by the wind, the purveyor remained standing at the edge of the crater, his plans and intents awaiting his attendance deep in the bowels of the new city. He eyed the letter in his hand for a lingering moment. "Wasted words and unused time," he whispered to himself. "Let us hope your report is of more use to me than those of your friends..."

In the back of his mind, a new whisper started to mingle with the countless others; a voice so quiet and weak that it could barely be heard... but with words older than the purveyor himself.