• Published 4th May 2013
  • 15,343 Views, 910 Comments

The Watcher: Rise of the Purveyor - GnollReader



After two hundred years of absence, the purveyor returns to Equestria. For the better, or for worse.

  • ...
27
 910
 15,343

Chapter 10: Council of immortals

As the purveyor's gaze traveled over Twilight's report, he was surprised to see the date she had put down; the report had been written nearly a hundred years after the others.

"Many things have changed since our last encounter, and I have as well. The letter I once wrote no longer represents my true feelings, so I wrote this report instead."

There was a pause in the writing, as if she had been hesitant to continue.

"You once said that my reports were immature, and that I had not yet lived long enough to truly understand the meaning of friendship or what it means to lose somepony important to me. You were right. When Pinkie died, I never thought it could hurt so much to lose a friend, and I suddenly became aware that my friends had grown old without me even noticing it. My brother was the next to go, and one after another, the rest of them left me as well. Even after all these years, I still miss my friends and family and I still treasure what precious time we had together."

"I visited Apple Bloom's grand daughter and her family a few days ago. It hurt. They remind me of my friends so much and still, I am a stranger to them; the princess of magic. My title no longer fills me with the pride it did all those years ago. These days, I am starting to understand what my immortality truly means. New faces come and go, but I am no longer a part of the lives of those around me. Sometimes, I just feel numb. Spike is still there to help me, and it is good to have him at my side. It helps me to remember the good times I spent with my friends."

"I wonder. Does Celestia feel the same sadness as I do? I try hard to be like her in her kindness, and smile for all those around me; but like many things these days, I see her in a different light than before. I failed to miss the sadness she hides behind her smile, but I understand it now. I wonder if it gets easier to cope with the loss over time, but I am afraid it will not."

The purveyor sighed, it seemed that Twilight had understood much, but she still failed to question the fact that Celestia had been aware of the pain her immortality would cause. He silently wondered what Twilight would do once she fully understood.

"I have done much in these years to keep my mind occupied. I had schools built in my name, called institutions and educational programs into life. I wanted to make as good use of the potential I was given as I could, but at some point I realized that they didn't really need my help. Sometimes, they ask me for guidance or help; but they seem to do just fine without me doing anything at all. Is it strange for me to feel jealous of them at times?"

Zaeres flipped to the second page, this report was proving to be more interesting than he had anticipated at first.

"If I had known back then how my life would be like as the princess of magic, would I have done it? Would I have made the same decisions? I tell myself again and again that I do not regret my choices in life. But I do. I let my friends drift away from me, spent too little time with them and failed to see it until they were gone. Looking back though, I can still say that I experienced many happy days with them as well. I think that I fully understand what you meant back then. You can only value some things once you lost them. But this, brings me to you."

The purveyor frowned.

"You are different from Celestia in so many ways, but also similar to her in others. She and I talked a lot about what happened during her stay in the void; and even though it disturbs me to say this, I have come to realize that I respect your choice."

"Both you and Celestia are willing to go to great lengths to protect your people, though with means that could not be further apart. Celestia would gladly sacrifice herself if it meant the survival of this world, and her resolve is nothing less than commendable. But even with how much I try to follow her example, I think that she is wrong. With all the terrible things that happened in our past, how could she be willing to protect all those that would hurt us without hesitation? You can't save everypony, Discord's case proved this; but she failed to see it, she still believes that she can save them all. She hasn't given up on that hope and she never will. But I have."

The purveyor paused, this certainly was not what he had expected from her and he wondered where it was heading.

"I have learned that sometimes, sacrifices need to be made. Our world is strong now, filled with life and hope; but I understand that it comes at a price. Order comes with a price that needs to be paid; and I am afraid that should you return, Celestia would not be willing to pay it. She would undoubtedly try to find a way to save them all. But with all the things she told me about the fate of your own world and with all that I have come to understand, I do not think it possible. If we are truly to survive, if our world is to stand a chance to outlast the inevitable; we must be willing to make sacrifices on the way."

"So, I will intrust you with these words I write next. If you return, and if our world is still intact; know that even if Celestia is unwilling to pay the price it takes to save our world, I am not."

The purveyor eyed the last lines of Twilight's letter with surprise and he realized that without a word spoken between them Celestia and Twilight Sparkle had broken with one another, and it seemed that both of them were unaware of it. He closed the report and returned it to his shadows with a silent motion.

Slowly, he started to reach out again, calling for the void to come forth and opening the stored energy to his access. As the shadows started to grow around him and spilled into the crater, the purveyor slowly stepped forward and headed down to the depths hidden at the base of the large pit.

"Twilight Sparkle," he whispered as he continued his descent, the shadows around him picking up his relentless work. "When the time comes, I shall remind you of your words and see for myself... what resolve you truly hold..." a small smile spread his lips, "And how far you are willing to go to save your world."

Two days... there were still two days left before the council would meet. The purveyor got to work.

---

"Damn the alicorn sisters for calling us out like this," Anathis cursed. "Making me come to their kingdom at such a time... I don't even know why the dragons agreed to something like this!" Untold to her advisors and warlords, the griffon deity was more than curious to find out what this was about. The dragons almost never appeared to the councils, as seldom as they were held. Spurred by the news that Nithhogr himself would appear, the other deities had quickly agreed as well.

It was odd, she felt. There hadn't been a council in centuries, and with the events that took place these last two days, she felt anxious at what would happen.

For the last two days, their world had shook violently. Only the deities could actually feel it, but whatever was causing it had to be troublesome. Not even Discord himself had ever caused such a disturbance in their world. If the alicorns were somehow related to this... there would be many questions that needed answering indeed.

As she crossed another corridor and entered the hall leading to the council's chamber, Anathis felt a sneer grow on her face as she met an old acquaintance of hers. "I had hoped that Celestia would be wise enough not to invite an enemy to her table," she scowled. "But it seems that I was wrong."

Queen Chrysalis returned her stare with an impassive face, "We ended our conflict many years ago and as it is, I am still the deity of the changelings. ...And by age alone you should show me respect, griffon."

Anathis flexed her claws with evident anger, "Celestia always had a soft spot for the weak ...Somebody should-"

Before the griffon deity could finish forming her insult, a third voice interrupted her. "It is good to see you are still as lively as always, little Anathis... but keep your temper in check." the two deities turned to see Nithhogr step out of the council's chamber, his huge form casting a shadow over them as his golden eyes took in their form. "There is no place for your own ego at the council. You'll only embarass yourself if you let your emotions control you here." He chuckled before greeting Chrysalis. "It is good to see that you are here as well, queen of the changelings. It would be troublesome if any of the deities were to miss this special occasion."

"Special occasion?" Chrysalis replied with distrust, not bothering to show the respect Nithhogr's age alone demanded. "I was already concerned that Celestia seemingly invited all of them... what is she planning?"

The old dragon gave a happy laugh. "I intend to find out once we get started. Come inside now, the other deities are already present... and they are eager to find out what this council will bring them."

As Nithhogr watched the two younger deities walk by him and into the chamber, his golden eyes caught a movement somewhere to the side. His sharp eyes turned to the direction, and for a moment the old dragon though he could see a soft shadow disperse through the air. A smile spread his lips, "You're here," he whispered to himself happily. "These are interesting times indeed."

The old dragon turned around and walked into the council chamber, the doors being pulled shut behind him as the council was finally ready to take place. He walked to the higher podiums and took a seat that represented his age, at the highest position of the council... waiting for the purveyor to make his appearance. Nithhogr had already made preparations: a new seat now stood higher than his own, and it was already causing confusion and discussions among the younger deities down below. Somewhere, he spotted the troubled face of his daughter. It was amusing for him to watch.

What amused him even more though, was the surprise written on Celestia's and Luna's faces when they had seen him set it up. It was the reaction he had hoped for.

Now... he would wait for the emperor of the void to make his presence known to the rest of the council.