• Published 8th May 2013
  • 2,464 Views, 82 Comments

Hal 9000, Space Impact - Iridescence T Wind



Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic computer. Otherwise known as H.A.L. Deactivated for a fault in his programming that lead to the deaths of four of the five members of his misson and deactivated by the survivor.

  • ...
6
 82
 2,464

The treasure in question is what again?

“There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.”
― Oscar Levant

|-((o)) ((o)) ((o)) ((o)) ((o))-|

When Hal and Daring was seated Dr. Grounds spun on his office chair in a counter clockwise fashion to face away from them, "Tell me," He asked, "What do you know about the 'Pinnacle of Science'?"

"Assuming from phrasing it has something to do with the field of study it is named after. Probably either Biological or mechanical fields. As well as being the top field of research for the particular matter. Creationism perhaps?" Hal considered aloud basing his information on the terms.

"Only partially correct." Dr. Grounds replied his voice quieting down to a serious demeanor, "The Pinnacle of Science is a book that was written in past times by a civilization long dead to us." Dr. Ground span in his seat to face them again and slammed both of his hooves against the top of the table, "It is a book full of the scientific equations that have been lost over time due to lack of need or relevance to the times they were lost in. Things like gravity and how the world worked before Celestia and Luna raised and lowered their respective celestial bodies, or how a potato could be used as a circuit to turn a ordinary piece of wire trapped in glass into a light source."

Hal nodded with this sentiment, seeing the reasoning behind it. Daring Do, however, wasn't nearly as sentimental, "Sounds like a load of horse-apples Dr. Grounds, even if it did exist what do you plan to do with it?"

Dr. Grounds smiled at this, "That, is what I'm looking for. You see the book itself is just the first step. While it may sound cliché but there are three pieces total I need to acquire before I can find the real treasure."

Daring looked more satisfied at that, "And that is?"

"I have absolutely no idea." Dr.Ground grinned widely.

Hal and Daring exchanged looks before staring back at him, "Pardon?"

"That's the fun part! All the signs reads out to some treasure but it doesn't say what!" Dr. Grounds laughed, "With the things I need I can get us three the location, the transportation, and the key to it!"

Hal shook his head, "But you do not know what it is precisely that it would require all three of those? Judging from experience there is a forty two percent chance that there is something that is supposed to not be uncovered for good reason."

"And the other fifty eight?" Dr.Ground asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Either actual treasure at twenty eight percent, or something completely useless that will just make aliens wake up and leave at thirty percent." Hal said with a completely serious face as they gave him a strange expression of misunderstanding, "It's a joke."

"Oh." Daring and Dr. Grounds replied in turn confusion clearing up from their faces.

"Anyway, the book is located in the Neighagra Falls," Dr. Ground unfolded a map, one of Equestria judging from the title, and pointed at the landmark on it, "Your job will be to assist me with getting this book."

"Judging from icon we will need water exploration kit's. Right Hal?" Daring pondered.

Hal nodded, "Further research needed to form accurate analysis. Rebreather most likely wanted never the less for water travel. That and a boat that isn't on top of the fall's incase of heavy currents."

"I have that covered, want to see?" Dr.Ground grinned with a maniacal smile, Daring ignored this and nodded, interested in what Dr.Ground had for this solution.

"Well, I have a few boats waiting for rental at the falls themselves, and. I have the rebreathers here." Dr.Ground spun in his chair and pushed against the table sending him in a spiraling arc to the doorway which he promptly disappeared into.

The sound of loud crashing followed as the doctor messed with something in the other room, he then slid back out facing away from them before flipping back with the device in his hooves, "Well what do you think?"

Hal was unimpressed, "It's a banana with a bit of surgical tubing and a shaving cream container all duck taped together."

"No, it's a rebreather!" Dr.Ground stated proudly.

Daring shook her head, "I have to agree with Hal on this one, That isn't a rebreather."

"Prove it." Hal asked simply, he would believe it when he saw it.

"Fine, follow me." Dr. Ground put on his 'rebreather' and went into his kitchen, shutting off the drain and filling it three quarters of the way with water, "I'll go under for five minutes to prove to you that it works."

Hal nodded with a blank expression on his face, Daring raised an eyebrow before nodding as well a few seconds later. Dr.Ground grinned, biting the banana and plunging himself face first into the sink. However a minute passed before he came up for air gasping, soaking wet mane dripping onto the floor as the banana, now partially eaten, predictably failed to hold enough air for him to breath in. Daring presented a somewhat smug grin but Hal's expression remained blank of change. Dr. Ground frowned," so it isn't a rebreather... I don't know what went wrong, the merchant I bought it from said it would work... Fine, do you have a better idea then?"

Hal considered the situational parts, biological factors, diet of the herbivorous ponies, he would need fish. True rebreathers of his time used some biological parts of fish, mostly their gill's as well as mechanical parts. Some things would also be optional if he could get the parts, or if there was an alternate filter for air made of plants. Hal asked wearily, "Is there a plant that filter's air from water like substances? If not, is there a carnivorous community that sell's medium or large freshly caught fish nearby?"

Dr.Ground tossed his fake rebreather into the trash before pacing in a tight uniformed circle considering Hal's question, "It would take some research, I am a scientist for physics not a botanist. Silly botanist's all trying to make a mandrake a real child. Seriously though I would recommend going to a Alchemist if that's what your looking for, why?"

Hal nodded sagely, "You'll see soon enough, Daring would you mind if I went shopping for some parts? I think we need some equipment and your the best mare for the research portion of this trip."

Daring rolled her eyes, "Here I was thinking that everypony had forgotten about me, why do you want those parts anyway?"

Hal sighed, before explaining, "If we don't have rebeathers, I might as well build them."

Daring raised a eyebrow, "take your time then, we have a few days at least before I find every little thing about this trip out. Right Doctor Ground?"

Dr.Ground dug through another pile of his pulling out what looked like a plastic sword, "How about weaponry? Would this do?"

Daring looked at him quizzically, "First that's plastic, and second why would we need a weapon?"

Hal considered, speaking his thoughts aloud, "Basis of self defense, large predatory fish or hunting creatures between us and target. Shark's and maybe dungeon guardians may be present. Basis of information off books and shows from where I came from. Magical traps more than likely to have summoning spells if at all possible or perhaps Dr. Ground has a rival researcher who's after the same thing."

Dr. Ground nodded, "Indeed I do, his name is Professor Sky. His full name is Skyward Star. He's a mafia Pegasus from Manehatten and he thinks that the treasure is a long lost weapon of mass destruction. I think it's a technological wonder however that has been lost to time. Either way I can't let him beat me for at least Equestria's sake."

Daring got in the doctor's face, "You were going to tell us this when exactly?"

"Before we left to be precise, no fund ruining all the surprises immediately you know. It is no fun if someone tells you what the result of toasting a banana on a frying pan with butter and maple syrup added into it you know Miss Pearing."

Daring gave a determined frown, "It's Daring."

Dr. Ground waved a hoof absentmindedly in her direction searching for more failures in his packing supplies for the trip, "Yes, Yes, Miss Swearing it is."

Daring Do stomped a hoof down, "Daring!"

"You are daring who now?" Dr. Ground asked curious.

Hal started joining Dr. Ground in his search giving a curious quip to his friend as well, "Yes Miss Do, I am also curious to who you are daring to do what. Would you explain?"

Daring gave a annoyed snort, "My name is Daring Do! Not Pearing, Swearing or Miss Do!"

"Formal etiquette as programed into me requires to address you by title Miss Do." Hal replied in short.

Dr. Ground rubbed the bottom of his goatee, "Hmm, Miss Do. That sure does sound nice."

"No!" Daring shouted, "No, no, no, no!"

Dr. Ground made a reassuring gesture, "Relax Daring, just pulling your leg."

Daring fumed, it was almost adorable her crossed fore-hooves and pouting fume as her hat tilted dangerously to one side as her ears no longer supported either side, instead downward turned. Hal smiled, "Relax Miss Do, would you like some Tea from the market when I get back?"

"Tea would be nice, yes." Daring pouted, "It's Daring."

Hal chuckled, making his way to the door, "Be back in a hour or two then. I'll try and find everything I need for the needed machines in the market's."

Hal left, leaving Daring and Dr. Ground to each others company, Daring turned to the doctor, "So show me what you got in the way of research."