• Published 8th May 2013
  • 2,463 Views, 82 Comments

Hal 9000, Space Impact - Iridescence T Wind



Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic computer. Otherwise known as H.A.L. Deactivated for a fault in his programming that lead to the deaths of four of the five members of his misson and deactivated by the survivor.

  • ...
6
 82
 2,463

Waiting Till Nightfall

"The rapture of pursuing is the prize the vanquished gain."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

|-((o)) ((o)) ((o)) ((o)) ((o))-|

The falls themselves were a sight to behold. Even as far away from the viewing area as they were the falls were easily within sight. the towering cliff pumping enough of the greenish water to easily fill a hundred times the global populace each minute was hurling itself off the visibly well worn structure of the fall with the speed enough to cause a mighty large splash at the bottom where the resulting mist would be sent meters into the air. Judging it to the human Equivalent would make it's current fast enough to get a speeding ticket back on the human planet of earth. It would be a pain to try and swim through such currents.

Never the less did the trio of ponies approached the viewing platforms themselves, gaining a better overhead view of the situation. Confirming Hal's suspicions as he read a few historic facts from one of the many signs describing the fall's origins and history, obviously meant for tourists who would be interested in such trivia. Daring Do was also taking the time to read the same signs though that left both Pegasus ponies hurrying along to catch up to Doctor Grounds. After a bit Daring asked, "So how are we planning on getting into this sunken temple if we can't even fight the current when swimming?"

The doctor looked up from his notes looking around until he caught the sight of Daring before responding, "We don't have to, judging from the estimates on this map..." he trailed off for a moment going through his notes again, "The cave to reach this temple is in fact, inside the waterfall itself, "he gestured to a spot in the middle of the falls where a large rock above jetting out above the water was barely able to keep the water separated for a few meters before the water rejoined in a narrow V shape. Which prompted another question, this time from Hal, "And how do you plan on reaching this... cave. I don't think that either of us would be able to fly through that water."

The doctor rolled his eyes before gesturing to his horn, "Don't worry, Unicorn remember? I'll make us a shield to block the water overhead, though this means at least one of you two will be needing to carry me though. Anyway lets get some rest at the Inn, we will begin at nightfall when everypony is in their beds asleep."

|-((o)) ((o)) ((o)) ((o)) ((o))-|

The steady sound of hooves against metal plating leaving a click clack sound every step for every member of the patrol echoed throughout the metal hallway. Darkness and grim filled these ruins, the former barely removed by the Night Guard's few unicorn members recasting long lasting glow spells could they even see in the dark ruins. There were five guards per squad, three bat ponies ponies and two unicorns for each. The total squads were seven with two squads of said number residing in the 'Main Hall' as they had termed the large room that looked like it used to be a shopping center of some sort back in the day.

"So..." One of the two Unicorns among them started, an uneasy expression on his face, "Does anyone else feel like they're being watched?"

"Don't be ridiculous Blunt, These are ruins," That was their captain, a bat pony with a scar over one eye, "The only thing down here at most would probably be one or two small critters and skeletons of whichever poor chaps were stuck down here to die way back when."

The building groaned with the sound of metal shifting, a sound they had heard at least ten times in the last hour, "Still though..." Blunt continued, lighting his horn up for another set of lights, "The smell and sounds aren't helping with all this darkness around. Do either of you three see anything?" he directed the question to the bat ponies of the group.

They shook their heads, "We may see better in the dark then other ponies but we still have difficulty after a certain distance." Another commented on that, "Though I can say that I feel like something is lurking out of the corner of my eye at that as well."

Their squad leader smirked, "Who knows, we may find that popular horror figure lately known as Slender mane could be around."

Two of their number laughed uneasily at that, they all heard of the stories surrounding that horrifying creature that looked like it came right out of a nightmare night story. the two who didn't laugh just moved closer together and shared an uneasy glance with each other, subconsciously tightening their grips on their spears. The leading bat pony noticed and smiled, he was a believer in the tough love method so he called for a halt with a signal of his bat like wings as he rounded on the two, "What's wrong cadets, afraid of a fictional ghost story?"

The two who had gotten their leaders attention grimaced. The Unicorn of the two spoke up, "Those stories took Luna a week to stop, so yes. Scared of them as much as the rumors of what Celestia does to the guards of her personal chambers." They all shuddered at that, captain included.

Their leader was the first to recover, "Well I can't have you two wetting yourselves when this place already smells foul enough."

They all nodded in agreement and began to move again, though it wouldn't be moments later until bronze shield, the second unicorn of the group commented, "Does anypony else hear that?"

"Do we hear what Bronze shield?"

The unicorn gestured at the way ahead,"Shh, Listen."

They stopped moving and listened, sure enough it was faint but slowly growing louder, a series of heavy thumps as something approached slowly but surely. After a few long tense moments it sounded like it was right on top of them but it stopped and a long wailing roar vibrated throughout the room of what seemed like a mix between a whale call and a bear's growl followed by an eerie silence. Not even the building seemed to make a groan and the five squad members instinctively formed a circle around each other as they waited out the tense silence. Only then did they see the red lights from the walk way above as something huge jumped and crashed down upon them, smashing the first unicorns head into a bloody crater with the weight of it's hoof alone.