• Published 8th May 2013
  • 2,463 Views, 82 Comments

Hal 9000, Space Impact - Iridescence T Wind



Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic computer. Otherwise known as H.A.L. Deactivated for a fault in his programming that lead to the deaths of four of the five members of his misson and deactivated by the survivor.

  • ...
6
 82
 2,463

Sinking Feeling with Leather Straps and Rope

"To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities."
-Bruce Lee

|-((o)) ((o)) ((o)) ((o)) ((o))-|

The Doctor smirked, "Everypony ready to pony up?"

"That doesn't even make any sense." a female voice cut across from behind a stall door in the darkness of a moonless night.

"It's a figure of speech, how about you Hal?"

There was a groan from the same door, "This looks completely ridiculous. Can't we just tie you to us with rope and hold onto you?"

The Doctor retorted, "Hey those are harnesses I made myself! Come on, they aren't that bad!"

"Your right..." Daring's voice replied from behind a door, "They're worse than bad! I feel like a freak just looking at them! Now that I'm wearing this..." the Pegasus was cut off with a very clear shudder of discomfort.

"I believe humans have a name for this sort of...fetish..." Hal agreed from behind the door with an equal voice of discomfort, "And for the world's sake I refuse to name it in case it becomes a thing on this planet as well. I am not wearing this outside."

The Doctor scoffed, "Come on, it's the middle of the night, no one is going to notice the harnesses. You can take them off once we get inside the cave."

"No means no Doc!" Daring's voice came again, rather vehement at the mere suggestion to expose herself in this fashion.

The Doctor rolled his eyes, "Hey I'm in mine, lets get a move on," He opened the door reaching at the two ponies dressed in thin leather straps complete with various metal rings and places where a rope was meant to interlock.

He was promptly met with a pair of angry eyes and a blinding world of pain from a pair of hoof punches to the face by both Hal and Daring Do.

|-((o)) ((o)) ((o)) ((o)) ((o))-|

"I'm taking the liberty of burning those contraptions when we get back." Hal remarked with a sour expression. Tied between them with rope was their doctor, who was sporting two differently sized horseshoe shaped bruises, one on each cheek, for what he had tried.

"Hey... those took forever to make!" The Doctor said, rubbing a hoof on a bruise, wincing occasionally.

"Shouldn't of made them in the first place Doc." Daring snorted, her left eye twitching as she recalled the skimpy... No, mind bleach it, must not think about it. Drown it in all the mind bleach.

After a few moments Hal had to ask, "So what exactly are we supposed to do again to avoid being crushed by several tons of water falling down each second and enter this cave again?"

"Well... The plan was..." the Doctor began, still annoyed his plan hadn't taken to his two companions, "that you two were to use the..." he paused as both of his aides glared at him, "Suits... to allow you two to carry me to the falls where I would construct a shield. But failing actual support. That's where this comes in." He gestured to the cloud Daring had fetched earlier in the day.

"A cloud?"

"I need somepony to hold me up, and since your afraid of heights, I assume that Hal will be the anchor so I don't fall to my demise, being a unicorn and all that can't exactly, you know... Walk on clouds." The Doctor gave them a plain stare, "Daring will be the pony to move the cloud around with you on it and me dangling beneath focusing on a shield so the water doesn't, as you say, 'Crush us'."

"Well. No time like the present," Daring smirked, pointing her hoof at Hal, "Come on then, Let's see if it works."

"Please try not to ram me into the side of the cliff when I part the falls." Doctor Ground's commented, he himself having second thoughts as he peered over the edge, "I'd rather not lose concentration and end up with three tiny splats on the very bottom of this... very... large waterfall."

Daring chuckled dryly as Hal clambered onto the soft thick cloud, sinking hooves deep into it's moist, cotton like depths as Daring began to raise it up, the rope connecting Hal and Doctor Ground's becoming taunt while Daring's was still loose. It was an unsaid precaution in case Hal's rope would snap, so that the Doctor didn't end up a Unicorn pancake. As much as he deserved it right now for those truly horrid harnesses, they still needed him in one piece.

"Alright, raise us up to the entry point, give five meters of space between us in the water though, I'll need some space if this is going to work." the Doctor ordered, prompting Daring to push the cloud until it was no longer above the safe viewing platform, but instead directly over what must be at least a hundred meter drop into a never ceasing rapids that the waterfall's water created. Hal had to close his eyes in order not to panic though he could feel himself sink a few more inches from the Doctor's weight, and braced as not to allow the now hanging Unicorn from pulling him down as well.

As they approached the falls, the Doctor's horn lit up and started to form a slanted surface above them, similar to an umbrella, as it increased in complexity Hal could see the Doctor visibly strain as he reinforced it before giving a curt, "Now." Causing Daring to start pushing them, and as a result the reinforced magical umbrella, with them towards the ever flowing downward current of the falls. The sound was deafening as water impacted against the shield, causing the Doctor to groan as the shield forced the water to either side of them, the entrance luckily was easy enough to find, thanks to Hal's minor corrections of where it would be, and the cloud passed through without incident to the flooded cavern beyond, the shield cracking as the pressure became constant, before completely giving way as the Doctor no longer needed to maintain it.

"Well..." the Doctor said, hanging mere inches out of reach from the surface of the flooded cavern's waters, "Get your diving gear on, when you're ready, it looks like we have a long swim ahead of us." The doctor squirmed in his tied up state, struggling while hanging to reach his own set before yanking it on, Hal similarly had problems with the heavy doctor pulling at him, but he managed to put on his as well while Daring beat them all and untied her end of the rope.

Before long they were all in the water with the cloud tied to a small spire of rock with the rope they had brought, and with a final nod to each other they dived into the cavern waters, following the light provided off their friend's horn as they descended its depths.

|-((o)) ((o)) ((o)) ((o)) ((o))-|

"Ma'am, squad Delta isn't reporting in." a Communications Officer stated, "Nor is Havoc Squad for that matter."

Their leader, a feminine bat pony who's helmet was lying on a nearby camping table looked up from her paper work, grimacing, "What happened?"

"Your guess is as good as mine Ma'am." The guard replied, before turning back to his work, "Though if it's my guess, I'd say either they found trouble or they are about to get into some, Ma'am."

The captain rolled her eyes, "There couldn't possibly be anything in these caverns Sergeant. This is an abandoned hidden temple after all. No pony has lived here for hundreds if not a thousand years."

"As you say Ma'am." the guard replied, not turning from his work, "Should I alert someone to check on them?"

The captain nodded, before realizing that he didn't see it, "Yes Sergeant, send Beta and Zeta respectively to check on them. Keep Alpha on track. Our next reinforcement is due in a few days in any case."

"Ma'am, yes, Ma'am." The Officer replied writing another pair of order scrolls before sending them away to their respective leaders with magic.

Author's Note:

In my eagerness to post this, I forgot to edit it. Still publishing it anyway, and decided to give you all this snippet before passing out at near 5am in the morning. I'll probably write more when I wake, See you next time as we start to introduce something else Discord brought into reality before being turned back to stone. See ya'll around!