• Published 27th Apr 2013
  • 4,344 Views, 244 Comments

Alula and Diamond Tiara's Adventures in Romance - Yukito



The adventures of the cutest couple in Ponyville Elementary School

  • ...
8
 244
 4,344

Chapter 9

“It’s outrageous!” How dare she make me look like a fool! That was what I wanted to do to her! “It’s not fair!” I was prepared to have fun, not be made fun of! “It’s appalling! Abysmal! Disastrous!”

“Easy there, Diamond,” Alula says, walking in front of me to stop my pacing. “Take a deep breath and calm down… and while you’re at it, do you have a dictionary I can borrow? I don’t know what some of those words mean…”

“Calm down? CALM DOWN?!” Alula, you really are so stupid sometimes! “Don’t you realise what that blank flank did to me today?!”

“So she got the better of you this time. You can still get her back.” Alula, honestly! It’s not a matter of losing this one time! I shouldn’t lose at all to the likes of that blank flank! Maybe if she had a Cutie Mark that showed her special talent was like mine, running a business or leading a company, then I’d accept it (JUST maybe). But a talentless blank flank, raised on a farm?!

“Alula’s right, Diamond.” Silver Spoon, you too?! “Getting your hair in a mess over this isn’t like you, and it certainly isn’t going to help anything. It’s just going to make the blank flanks’ victory that much sweeter.”

“Hmph! I seem to recall you sided with them that day!”

“Well, my father told me that in life, as in business, you have to know when to back down… before you fall even harder.” Silver Spoon picks up a hair brush and walks over to me. I turn to look in the mirror and… my goodness. My mane is such a mess! I guess I can let Silver Spoon take care of that for me.

“So what, you think I should’ve just given up back there?”

“Snapping at Granny Smith like that was a bad move. Thankfully her little… act with the bees made most our classmates agree with you, so your reputation isn’t damaged by it. Still, you’ve gotta know when to back down. For once, the blank flank had us beat.”

“Hmph! It was bad enough daddy never told me that story before, so I was totally embarrassed in class, but then he made me jump the watering cans wearing this ridiculous thing!” These stupid bunny ears! Why am I still wearing them?! … Why is Alula smiling like that? “What? You want them?”

She jumps, and her smile grows wider. “R-Really? You don’t want to keep them?”

“Why would I? They look stupid!”

“… Then, I guess I can take them off your hooves for ya.”

Done and done. I throw the stupid bunny ears at Alula, and she squeaks and she picks them up. “All those other kids saw me! It was so humiliating! I’ll never be able to live it down, and I’ll never be happy again until that blank flank gets her comeuppance!”

“Hey, I know!” Oh great. Alula has an idea. “Let’s send her some of those really spicy cupcakes that Pinkie Pie makes! Y’know, the ones you said nearly killed you?”

… Hmmm… Those are some spicy cupcakes, and they look just like regular ones, so there’s no way she’ll it coming. But… “No, it’s not good enough. For what Apple Bloom did, there can only be the maximum penalty given to her! … I wonder if daddy would be willing to buy their farm for me?”

I feel a hoof on my shoulder and turn around to see Silver Spoon looking down at me. “Before we go and reign doom upon their entire family, how about we try just taking some time to cool down and start thinking clearly.”

“But…”

“For now, we’ll send her those cupcakes like Alula suggested, and go watch out to watch a movie together. If you’re still angry after, then we’ll step up our revenge a little bit. Does that sound alright?”

“… Ugh. Fine.” There’s no way I can argue with her when she’s giving me that dumb old ‘please do it for me’ look of hers. And Alula seems excited about the cupcake idea, so… “I guess starting off small and building up to something grander is also a good way to get revenge.”

“Sounds good to me!” Alula says… whilst wearing those stupid bunny ears from earlier. “So, what movie should we go see? I’m up for a martial arts film myself!”

“Those things are boring,” Silver Spoon says, and I couldn’t agree more. “Personally, I think we should go watch Titanic. It’s a classic.”

Ugh. Really, Silver Spoon? That’s just as bad as Alula’s tastes. “Hmph. I’ll decide what we’re going to watch, since it was me that got humiliated, after all.”

“Fair enough,” Silver says with a shrug. “We’ll go just as soon as your mane is sorted out. Alula, go get Diamond’s tiara for me.”

“Sure thing!” Alula runs off to my bed and picks up the tiara that I threw on there earlier in my rage. “So, what movie you got mind, exactly?”

Hmmm… Ah, I know what I want to see! “You’ll see when we get there…”


I should have figured… Diamond has already come out to see this movie five times since its release, and she’s been trying to get us to come along with her for a while now. The new Pokémon movie. I haven’t really watched the series much besides a few episodes with Diamond now-and-then. Diamond really likes it, though, and despite my and Silver’s attempts to get her to pick a different movie, she insisted that she wanted to see this one.

I’ve got to admit, it’s not bad. But it’s just not as entertaining as watching some guy spin around in the air a couple of times and then kick his opponent in this head, or as funny as watching a cat and a mouse fighting each other with explosives and complicated devices, but at least I’m not falling asleep. And besides…

It’s making Diamond happy. I’m glad. She looks her best when she’s smiling. I bet by now she’s forgotten all about that little grudge of hers. Though I don’t understand why she was so mad in the first place, really. She looked so cute with those bunny ears on! I hope one day she’ll let me put them on her again. I wonder why she didn’t want me wearing them outside, anyway?

Whoa. This movie is starting to pick up. Oh my gosh, epic fight scenes! Oh wow, this is… this awesome! Why did I not see this movie sooner?! Is the series like this? I’ve gotta ask Diamond to lend me her videos some time!

Oh my gosh! Did that… did that guy just bite the dust? Oh man… t-that’s so sad. Poor Pikachu… He just lost his best friend. I couldn’t even imagine what I’d do if something bad happened to either Diamond or Silver Spoon. This movie just went from epic to heartbreaking… I think I need to hold onto something.

“Alula!” Diamond whispers to me. “What are you-”

“You didn’t tell me this would happen…” I tighten my grip around Diamond’s foreleg.

“Y-You idiot… Let go already! Look, he’s about to get better!” I continue watching, and… she’s right. The tears of all the Pokémon are bringing him back! “See? Now let go!”

“Uh… right. S-Sorry…” … D-Did I just cry to a movie for kids? In front of Diamond Tiara, no less? … I’m never going to be able to live this down…

The movie ends, and the three of us get up and leave the screening room. “That was so awesome!” Diamond says as soon as we’re outside. I stretch my legs and my wings, and then hear Silver Spoon giggling beside me.

“What?” I ask.

“Oh, just remembering how one of us got a little teary-eyed near the end of that movie.”

Diamond Tiara also giggles, and I suddenly feel like burying my head in the trash can next to us. “S-So what?! That just shows I have a heart, that’s all!”

“So you’re saying that Diamond doesn’t have a heart?”

What?! “N-No, of course not!” Why you… You know that isn’t what I meant! I would never say that, or even think it! “I was just saying-”

“So, feeling better now, Diamond?” Don’t interrupt me! And don’t ask her that! I was going to ask her if she was feeling better, darn it!

“… A little, I guess,” Diamond says. But her tone isn’t quite as sharp as earlier, and there’s no way she can deny the smiles I saw in that screening room. “Still not too happy with that stupid blank flank though…”

She’s definitely feeling better, but I don’t think we should leave her alone just yet. Let’s see, what else can we do to help her out? … “Oh! That’s it!”

“What’s ‘it’?” Silver Spoon asks.

“We can go check out that new mini golf place that opened up just outside of town!” The two give me a confused look. “Uh… I-It could be a lot of fun? And, uh, I heard there’s a prize of all-you-can-eat ice-cream.”

I see Diamond’s ear twitch. Yep, that seemed to do the trick. “You don’t say… Well, if you want to go check it out so much, I guess there’s no helping it.”

“I’ve got to warn you two,” Silver Spoon says as we begin to leave the cinema, “I’m a pretty good golfer. You two aren’t going to beat me so easily.”


“Hah! A birdie!” This puts me back in the lead! Like I’m going to let Alula beat me at something! “You’re going to have to pick up the pace if you want to beat me!”

“Darn it. I was never good at these stupid windmill holes…” Excuses, excuses. “Well, at least I’m not in last place.” There are only three places you could be, though, so you’re still technically second-to-last.

“Silver Spoon’s got that position secured.” Silver Spoon gives me an angry look. Like I care. Not my fault she’s so bad at this game. “What was that about us not beating you so easily?”

“This game makes no sense!” Silver Spoon shouts. “I made all the calculations before each of my shots, timed them all perfectly, put just enough force on each of my swings… so why do I keep missing my target?!”

“Er… ‘cause it’s mini golf? Also known as crazy golf? Wouldn’t be any fun if it was predictable.” Alula taps her ball, and it manages to fall into the hole on par.

“Alright, five more holes left, and there’s just a one point difference between us,” I announce as I mark our scores for this hole down. “Meanwhile, Silver Spoon is in the positives…”

“I hate this game…” Silver Spoon mumbles to herself.

“I love it!” Alula shouts so loud the other ponies around us tell her to be quiet… again. “We should put our all into winning that free game at the end!”

“And the ice-cream.” That is the whole reason I agreed to coming here anyway. “The next hole looks like an easy one.”

Too easy, if you ask me.” Well nopony asked you, Alula. Though I suppose you’re right… This just looks like a straight path to the hole. There are no bumps, no obstacles… nothing. “Par four? That can’t be right.”

“You’re up first,” Silver Spoon says.

“I know.” Alula places her ball down and readies her club. “Okay, not too much force now… YAH!” Alula swings the club and hits the ball. It starts rolling… then stops barely a few feet from the tee. “… What the…”

Silver and I giggle at the pathetic attempt. “Not quite enough force on that one,” Silver says. “The aim is to get it as close to the hole as you can.”

“I’m sure I hit it harder than that!”

“Sure you did,” I say, totally not believing her one bit. “Stand back. I’ll show you how it’s done.” I place my own ball down. Thanks to Alula, I’ve got to take a little detour. Oh well, no hole-in-one for me, but I’m still ahead right now anyway. I pull back my club, swing it, and… “What?!” My ball travelled less distance than Alula’s!

“Something’s not right here,” Silver says. You’ve got that right! “Let’s see here…” Silver Spoon lowers her club onto the ground and starts dragging it across. She suddenly stops. “Whoa! … Oh my gosh! Now I see what this hole’s trick is! The green has like, super-high friction!”

… It has what now? “Oh… I see. Yeah, well, obviously that’s what it is. You’d have to be a total idiot not to have worked that ou-”

“Friction is the force that slows down moving objects,” Silver explains to me.

“I knew that!” I totally didn’t, but she doesn’t need to know that I didn’t know. “So what are we supposed to do?”

“Remember how we told Alula not to hit her balls into orbit?” Yeah, I remember. “Basically, now we drop that rule. Like so.” Silver Spoon places her ball down, pulls back her club… very far. That ball’s going to go over the wall for sure! … What?! It stopped just short of the hole. “Close! Almost got my first hole-in-one.”

“Ooh! I get it!” Alula shouts out. “It’s like some super-slow-down thing, right?”

“… Sure. Let’s go with that.”

“Well, there are only four more holes after this,” I point out. “I’m sure they can’t be much more difficult than the rest of the course.”


I whack my ball, and it once again falls into the river. “ARGH! That’s the fifth time in a row!” I stomp over to retrieve my ball and place it back in its previous position. Meanwhile, Diamond and Silver Spoon are laughing behind me. They both sunk their balls already, yet I’ve been stuck on this obstacle for so long.

“Why don’t you two move on ahead, and I’ll catch up?”

“We have to make sure you don’t try to cheat,” Silver Spoon says. Yeah right, like I’d do that… Though it’s certainly tempting at this point.

“Well, I’m tired of all this standing. I’m going to go sit over by the next hole.” Diamond walks over towards the start of the next hole, not too far from where we are right now.

Okay, take it nice and steady Alula. You can do this. Pull back, aaaaand…

“Hey.” ARGH! SILVER SPOON!

“You made me miss!”

“Whatever, we’ll just not count that one,” she says as she walks up to me. “Listen, I wanted to thank you for bringing us here.”

Really? “Uh, why? You’ve been losing this whole time.”

“Not for me. I’m thanking you for Diamond, since her pride won’t let her thank you herself.”

Oh. “… Diamond wants to thank me? Are you sure?”

Silver Spoon nods. “Yeah. Haven’t you noticed just how much of a better mood she’s in now than she was earlier?”

.. Huh. Now that she mentions it. “I didn’t really notice. I was just having so much fun with her that… I guess it slipped my mind.”

She sighs and shakes her head. “Well, in any case, she’s certainly cheered up now, and she seems to have forgotten all about getting payback for Family Appreciation Day.”

“Well that’s good. I mean, I know Diamond enjoys her rivalry with Apple Bloom, but sometimes I feel she takes it too personally. I just want her to be happy.”

“That’s right,” Silver Spoon says with a nod. “When she’s teasing Apple Bloom, it should be for fun, and not out of malice.” … Uhhh… “Anger.” Oh. “Anyway, Diamond’s happiness should be our number one priority. In fact, I think we should always be looking out for each other. Don’t you?”

“… Wow. I never thought I’d hear you say something like that. In fact, now that I think about it, we’ve been hanging out together for two years now, and I still don’t know that much about you.”

“That’s because father says not to reveal your hoof so easily.” Uh… what? She smiles at me and extends her hoof. “But, I like you, Alula. I know you feel threatened by me, but is there any chance that we can become good friends from this point on? After all, we both have a lot in common, don’t you think?”

Is she talking about how we both like the same filly? ‘Cause I really don’t see what else we have in common besides that. But… I guess she’s right. We’ve both been there for Diamond, and for each other, for so long now. I should really try to… get along better with her.

“Hey! What’s taking so long?! If you hit eight strokes, just mark it down and move on!”

Silver Spoon giggles, and that somehow causes me to do so, as well. “We’d better hurry up, before Diamond loses her patience.”

“Yeah…” I turn my attention back to my ball, and… Huh. Suddenly, this is much easier… Double bogey. “Alright, time to catch up to Diamond…”


I WON! I mean, it was so obvious that I would. But still, I WON! And I also got the bonus shot for the all-you-can-eat ice-cream! This is totally the best day ever! And to think, it was all Alula’s idea. That filly’s getting better and better as time passes by!

“So we’re meeting up tomorrow for the ice-cream, right?” Alula asks as we reach the fork in the road where we split up.

“Yeah. Since it was your idea to play mini golf, I’ll let you in on it, too.” Alula licks her lips and jumps in the air, hovering for a few seconds.

“Great! I can’t wait! Just… don’t tell my mum, okay? She says I need less sugar in my diet.” Couldn’t agree more. “Bye Di, Silver!”

… Wait.

“Diamond?” Silver asks. “What’s up?”

“… Since when did Alula start calling you just ‘Silver’?”

“Oh. Well, I guess, since we’ve been hanging out for so long-”

“She’s always called me ‘Diamond’ or ‘Di’. Why did it take so long for her to start calling you by just your first name?”

Silver Spoon doesn’t answer. She just stares at me with… shock? Surprise? What’s up with her?

“You’ve… grown up some these past two years.” Uh… Well, yeah. Ponies do. In fact, I’m almost as tall as you now, Silver Spoon! “One year ago, you never would have noticed that. But now it catches your attention immediately.”

“Hmph! I’ll have you know my grades have gone up a whole ten percent these past few months!”

“I know. But, I wonder if it’s something more than that? … If I didn’t know better, I’d say you were jealous of Alula becoming so familiar with me.”

What?! Jealous?! “Why would I be?!”

“No need to overreact, it was just a suggestion.”

“Well it’s a stupid one!” Stupid Silver Spoon! “I don’t think of her that way!”

“What way?” … Shut up! “Are you blushing?”

“Shut up! Stupid! I’m going home!” Silver follows behind me as I start walking, very calmly. I am not angry!

“Awwww, come on! I was just teasing! If you don’t feel ‘that way’ about her, then why are you acting like this?”

“Shut up, shut up, shut up!” I make it home and part ways with Silver Spoon. She’s still grinning and spouting nonsense as I walk towards my front door, but I pay it no mind. It’s all stupid, and it’s all wrong. Alula’s just a friend, despite how irritating she can be sometimes, and I definitely don’t feel anything else towards her.

Nothing.

Stupid Silver Spoon! I’m going to go take a bath and then take a much needed nap.

Author's Note:

Thanks to Blue_Paladin42 for pre-reading and helping me out :pinkiehappy: