• Published 27th Apr 2013
  • 4,344 Views, 244 Comments

Alula and Diamond Tiara's Adventures in Romance - Yukito



The adventures of the cutest couple in Ponyville Elementary School

  • ...
8
 244
 4,344

Chapter 6

… Oooh, Diamond Tiara… You’re so cute when you blush like that. What? Kiss? Right here? Oh my, you’ve gotten bold all of a sudden. Not that I mind, but shouldn’t we at least wait until after class? Well, if you insis-

“Alula!”

Whu? M-Mum?! Go away! I’m about to kiss-

“Alula! Time to get up!”

Get up? What are you talking abou-

… Oh, you’ve gotta be kidding me. It was all just a dream?! Well, that’s certainly a disappointment. And I didn’t even get to the good part, either!

“What time is it?” I ask with a yawn.

“Good morning to you too, sleepyhead,” my mother says back. “It’s time for you get a move on, before you’re late for school.”

“… Can’t I just skip school today?” I already know the answer, but I really don’t want to get out of bed right now.

“Come on, Alula!” The sheets are yanked off of me, and my wings stick out as my body feels the sudden change in temperature. Stupid mum! She knows I’m at the age where it’s hard to control my wings. It’s gonna take forever to get them to fold back up again! “Well, I suppose I could let you skip school…”

… Wait, did I hear that right? Is she being serious right now? There’s no way that can be for real, right?

“But only if you’re sick, in which case you’ll also have to miss Diamond Tiara’s cute ceañera this weekend, too.”

“I’m up!” That’s right, I almost forgot! Diamond Tiara’s having a party tomorrow to celebrate getting her Cutie Mark! I already gave her a present. A silver heart-shaped locket with a feather pattern engraved on the front. On the inside is a picture of the three of us together. I couldn’t find any pictures of just us two, but it will do… for now.

Anyway, I may have already given her a present, but I’m still invited to the party, and it’s going to be so much fun! There’ll be cake, and punch, and games, and other foals from school will be there!

“Now then, hurry up and eat your breakfast, and then brush your teeth, before you’re late to yet another class.”

“I’m not late that often,” I say as I climb out of my bed, almost collapsing onto the floor because of my tiredness.

“Miss Cheerilee begs to differ. Now go on. Move faster, young filly.”

“I’m moving as fast as I can…” I say with another yawn, slowly making my way over to the door at the door at the other side of the room. “Ugh. I bet Di doesn’t have to put up with this in the morning.”


Mm… Daddy packed my favourite lunch today… No Alula, I can feed myself. Silver Spoon, stop encouraging her… I know the answer, Miss Cheerilee! Nine times nine is… ninety-nine. That’s right, worship me all you lower-class…

RINGRINGRINGRINGRINGRINGRINGRINGRINGRINGRING

Wha? My alarm clock? … Oh, I see. It was a dream. It’s morning… Morning! “Oh my gosh! I have to get ready!”

Tomorrow is a special day for me! That’s why for once I’m in a hurry to get ready for school today, so that tomorrow can come faster.

First, a quick shower to wash off the sweat from last night’s sleep. Think I’ll wash my hair with the orange-scented shampoo today, since it was thanks to oranges that I’m in such a great mood right now.

Now that that’s done, brush my mane in front of the mirror. Spray some perfume, to counter-balance the smell of that dusty old classroom. Place my tiara on my head. Hmmm… Should I wear my new dress to school? No, probably shouldn’t. I have to sit next to that hick Apple Bloom, and she’d just make it all dirty.

Hm? My drawer is open? I open it up and look inside. Oh, that’s right. Alula gave me this locket yesterday. A silver locket with a feather engraved on it. Inside is a photo of myself, Silver Spoon, and Alula. It doesn’t really suit me, so I just tossed it in here.

Anyway, I’m now ready! Now to go downstairs to have the breakfast daddy should have already set out for me by now. Aah, he has! And it’s my favourite, too: cinnamon waffles and eggs! It’s the first breakfast I had when my daddy decided I was old enough to start learning the ins and outs of running a business, so it became my favourite then.

“Aah, there’s my big girl!” Oh please, daddy. Don’t start talking like that again. It’s so embarrassing. “My little Princess is all grown up now. Why, it won’t be long until I can pass on the deed to Barnyard Bargains to you without any worry!”

“Daddy, did you remember to book Sugarcube Corner for my party tomorrow?” I have to make sure. Daddy can be pretty forgetful sometimes.

“Yes, yes. I told you last night, it’s all taken care of.”

“And the dress?”

“Miss Rarity’s got it ready and waiting to be picked up.”

“The snacks?”

“The Cakes and their apprentice are working on it as we speak.”

“What about-”

“Diamond, honey, relax. I’ve told you, it’s all taken care of. Now, eat up, before your breakfast gets cold.”

Hmph. I just want to make sure that everything goes right on my special day. “This is going to be so great!” I raise my fork into the air and lower it towards my waffles. “What was your cute ceañera like?”

“Aah. Things weren’t the same back when I was your age.” Oh no. What have I done? He’s going to start talking about ‘the good old days’, and he won’t be able to stop any time soon! “You see, back when I was a colt, only fillies had cute ceañeras. Colts had to make do with a pat on the back and a “Well done son!” from their fathers.”

“Really? No party? No cakes? No presents?” Daddy laughs, though I can’t understand why. That sounds pretty serious to me!

“Yes, yes, it was a dark time to be sure. Which is why I’m working extra hard to make sure my little- I’m sorry, my big girl gets an extra special party. One that she’ll enjoy and remember for the rest of her life! After all, your Cutie Mark only comes once.”

“And what a Cutie Mark it is!” I look over my shoulder to look at my awesome new Cutie Mark. “A Cutie Mark for being a manager. A leader! I bet you’re so proud of me!”

Daddy laughs again and pats my head with his hoof. “I couldn’t be any prouder. Though I’m sure you’ll sure a little restraint with showing your Cutie Mark around the class, right?” What? Why should I? “I’m given to understand that not everypony in your class has their Cutie Mark yet, and they might be upset if they think you’re trying to rub it in their faces.”

It’s not my fault those blank flanks haven’t discovered their talents yet! If they even have any talents, of course…

“Diamond Tiara…”

Sigh. I guess I’ve got no choice. “Fine, daddy. I’ll try not to show off my brand new awesome Cutie Mark too much.”

Daddy gets up and walks away to pack my lunch. Silly daddy, you never said what counts as too much. I can just direct all my bragging to only those two blank flanks, and it will be equal to only showing off a little bit to the entire class.

Oh yes. Today is certainly going to be fun.


Today’s lesson was oddly appropriate for the special event that’s happening today. I don’t know why Miss Cheerilee decided to teach us about Cutie Marks when most of us already have them. It’s not like it’s even a complicated subject in the first place.

In any case, I wonder what Diamond’s up to? Probably getting ready for the party happening tomorrow. Hm? Oh… Or maybe she’s making peace with Apple Bloom and Twist?

“Don’t worry you two. You’re still totally invited to my cute ceañera this weekend.” Yeah, see? They’re totally getting along now… Except, Diamond and Silver Spoon are now circling around them like sharks.

I wonder what the deal is between Diamond and Apple Bloom, anyway? Everypony knows they’ve been enemies for such a long time now, but nopony’s ever been brave enough to find out why.

“See you this weekend…”

“Blank flanks!”

… Well, whatever the reason is, I think it’d be best if I stayed out of it. Besides, I’ve got more important things to worry about. I start chasing after Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, passing by Apple Bloom and Twist on the way. “Hey Di!”

The two stop and turn to face me. “What do you want?” Diamond asks. “We’re a little busy planning for my cute ceañera tomorrow, Alula.”

“I thought so. So, anything I can do to help?” I’m ready to help out however I can, so that Diamond’s party tomorrow is the greatest ever!

“Alula, didn’t I tell you already? We’re having professionals take care of the party preparations. My new dress, the snacks, the decorations… All of it is being done by Ponyville’s finest and Pinkie Pie.”

Oh… “So, there’s nothing for me to do then?”

Diamond thinks about it for a second, and then smiles and walks over to me. She puts her foreleg around my neck… Her mane smells nice. “Well, maybe there’s some use we can find for you.”

“Anything!”

“Can you stop by the flower shop and pick me up some roses for the party? I’ll give you the money, of course.”

Flowers? That’s it? “You just want me to fetch some flowers?”

“Is that a ‘no’?” she asks in a disappointed voice with a sad face.

“Oh, no no no no no! Of course not! If that’s what you want me to do, then I’ll get you those flowers faster than Rainbow Dash!”

“Good! And make sure you give them plenty of water and look after them at your place until tomorrow. I’m counting on you.”

She gives me some money, and I take off down the road towards where the flower shop is. I won’t let you down, Diamond!


“Well, that was fun.” I don’t even care that the classes today were slower than usual. Showing off my new Cutie Mark to those two blank flanks just made it all better. Especially when I saw the look on Apple Bloom’s face. She was so jealous! It was really great! “So, what should we do now? Maybe stop by Carousal Boutique to see my new dress?”

“Sounds good to me,” Silver Spoon says.

“Hey Di!”

Oh no. Don’t tell me that’s- Yes, it is. Alula. “What do you want?” Please don’t say you want to tag along with us. You’ll make a mess of my dress! “We’re a little busy planning for my cute ceañera tomorrow, Alula.”

“I thought so. So, anything I can do to help?” She wants to help? But, this is my cute ceañera! Not some school outing! Everything has to be perfect, which means it has to be done right. Not by some filly who’s known for spacing out and making messes.

“Alula, didn’t I tell you already? We’re having professionals take care of the party preparations. My new dress, the snacks, the decorations… All of it is being done by Ponyville’s finest and Pinkie Pie.”

“So, there’s nothing for me to do then?”

Hmmm… Actually, I may just be able to use this to keep her busy for the rest of the day, actually. Providing she doesn’t… Nah, she’s too slow to see through my schemes. Putting on my best smile, I walk over to Alula and wrap a foreleg around her neck… D-Did she just smell my mane? I know it smells good, but- No, pay it no mind!

“Well, maybe there’s some use we can find for you.”

“Anything!”

“Can you stop by the flower shop and pick me up some roses for the party? I’ll give you the money, of course.”

She looks disappointed with my request. “You just want me to fetch some flowers?”

“Is that a ‘no’?” I ask, starting to feel a little annoyed. Oops. I hope that didn’t show in my voice.

“Oh, no no no no no! Of course not! If that’s what you want me to do, then I’ll get you those flowers faster than Rainbow Dash!”

“Good!” She bought it. “And make sure you give them plenty of water and look after them at your place until tomorrow. I’m counting on you.”

I give her some money, and she takes off down the road. Beside me, I hear Silver Spoon giggling. “What?”

“Nothing. Just found it amusing how you went to such lengths to keep her away without hurting her feelings.”

“I…” I did that? I just didn’t want her bothering us all day. Her feelings never even crossed my mind. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You sure? Then why don’t we catch up to her and just tell her straight-out that she’s a nuisance? You can still get your money back before it’s too late.”

“… It’s only a few bits. Not really worth working up a sweat to catch up to that athletic nut.”

Silver Spoon giggles again, and I silence her with a quick, authoritative glare. “Or perhaps I’ll give her your position as my best friend forever?”

“Would you, though?” she asks, that evil grin of hers forming on her face. “Well, go ahead, if you want to be crushed to death by her new and improved BBF hugs of doom.”

… She raises a good point. “Oh, whatever. Come on, let’s go pick up my new dress already.”

“Right behind you, boss!” ‘Boss’… Heh. Now that’s a nickname I could get used to.


Well, that could have gone… a little better. I should have noticed sooner… Diamond Tiara stopped having fun at some point, and suddenly disappeared from the party. I asked around, and found out that she had gone upstairs with Silver Spoon.

After going upstairs to check on her, I find Silver Spoon standing guard over one of the bedrooms. “Oh, you decided to show up finally?” she asks as I walk closer. “What’s the matter? Did the party end?”

“Not yet,” I answer, coming to a stop in front of Silver spoon. “Is Di in there?”

“What do you care?” … D-Did Silver Spoon just… Was that anger in her voice? I’ve seen her get jealous before, and even bitter, but never angry… “Why did it take you so long to realise she was upset? You’re supposed to be her friend, aren’t you?”

“I-I’m sorry,” I say quickly. “I didn’t think she’d be that bothered by what Apple Bloom and the others said, and-”

“You think that’s what has her so upset? It’s not the blank flanks, Alula. This party was something special to Diamond Tiara.” Special? I guess a cute ceañera is a special occasion. “This is something she’s been looking forward to ever since her first ever lessons on what a Cutie Mark is. To her, it’s like… you, being selected to perform at the Equestrian Games.”

… Oh. “I-It’s that important to her?”

“Yes. She wanted this day to be perfect. For everypony to celebrate her, and pay attention to her.” Silver Spoon steps closer to me. “And now she’s all depressed, and won’t even come out of that room until everypony leaves.”

“Then, why are you just standing here? We should go talk to her!”

“I was waiting for you.” Y-You were? “You’re right. We should go talk to her. Together.” Her face softens up a little bit, and she smiles. “After all, we’re all friends, all three of us. This is when, more than ever, we need to stick together.”

“… Y-You’re right.” She steps aside. “Heh. You’re right as usual. Sheesh, you should be in one of those smart schools up in Canterlot or something.”

“And leave my BFF with somepony who doesn’t even know a teaspoon from a salt spoon?”

What’s a salt spoon? No, no time for that! “Right, well then… just leave this to me. This is where I shine.”

Not as Princess Erroria.” … Fiiiiine. I put my fake horn away, and open the door slowly. Inside, I see Diamond sat on the bed, her back to me and her head hung low.

“…” I walk inside slowly, and Silver Spoon follows me. “Di?” No answer. “Di, are you okay?”

“… What’s up? Is the party over?”

Oh, good. She said something. That brings at least a little relief. “Not yet. I just couldn’t have any fun. You weren’t there, after all.”

“… Just leave me alone.” Dear Celestia, she sounds terrible! Silver Spoon and I walk closer. “Please-” She stops talking as I wrap my hooves around her, gently. Silver Spoon approaches her side and also embraces her, adding a little nuzzle to her cheek too.

“You don’t have to go back to the party,” I tell her. I feel her hoof connecting with mine. “We’ll stay here with you and have our own party, if you like.”

“We’ll be here for you, Diamond,” Silver Spoon adds.

“… Thanks…” she whispers softly. A moment of silence passes, and she manages a weak chuckle. “You two are so getting promoted after tonight is over.”

I smile, and both Silver Spoon and I join her in laughing together.

So things may not have gone exactly the way she planned, but hopefully, this will still be a memorable night for her. Because the three of us are here and laughing together. Maybe it’s not exactly what Diamond wants from this party, but it’s all I can give her. And I’ll give whatever I can to make her smile.

Because I love you, Diamond Tiara. I love you, so please don’t let me see you be upset ever again.


“Welcome home,” daddy says as I walk through the front door. “Did everything… go alright?”

No. It was a disaster. Nopony paid attention to me. Those three blank flanks totally stole my thunder. Everypony was talking to them. And that stupid colt took the first bite out of my cake!

“It was alright…”

“Are you sure? You look a little-”

“I’m just tired daddy.” I rub my eye and let out a fake yawn. “We partied pretty hard. I think I’m just going to go straight to bed.”

“… Well, if you say so.” I walk past my daddy and begin to walk up the stairs. “Diamond Tiara?”

“What?”

“You know you can talk to me about anything, right?”

… I know, daddy. But just… not right now. “I’m just tired, really.”

“Just as long as you know. Sleep tight, my little Princess.”

“Goodnight, daddy.”

I walk up the stairs and enter my room. I don’t feel like brushing my teeth tonight. I’m just going to hop straight into bed. First, remove my tiara, and- Hm? My drawer is open… Alula’s locket is hanging out.

Alula…

I take the locket out of the drawer, and place it with my other lockets and necklaces in my jewellery box. A silver locket with a feather engraved on it… and a picture of all three of us inside.

… Huh. Suddenly, the fact that everypony else ignored me at my own party doesn’t bother me that much. I guess I really am tired.

I turn around walk over to my bed. I let out a loud yawn, and then climb in.

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle. Those were their names, right? Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle. Those three blank flanks… I won’t be forgetting their names any time soon. Watch out, you three. You’ve made a powerful enemy today, and I will have my revenge. Nopony messes with Diamond Tiar-

AAAAHHHH! A SPIDER! “DADDYYYYYYY!”

Author's Note:

Thanks to Blue_Paladin42 for pre-reading and helping me out :pinkiehappy: