• Published 27th Apr 2013
  • 4,346 Views, 244 Comments

Alula and Diamond Tiara's Adventures in Romance - Yukito



The adventures of the cutest couple in Ponyville Elementary School

  • ...
8
 244
 4,346

Chapter 11

“Mum! I need more glitter!” I shout as I throw more glue onto the card at my hooves. My mother passes me some glitter and I sprinkle it onto the card. “Ooh! And some hearts!” My mother passes me the tub of paper hearts and I tip it upside down over the card. “Do we have more paper flowers left?” My mother passes me the last three paper flowers we have and I place them onto the card.

“… It’s perfect!” I declare as I look over my finished project. “This is the best Hearts and Hooves card I’ve ever made! It’s the only one, but still!”

“It’s wonderful dear,” my mum says from behind me. “But, just one small thing… where are you going to write on it?”

Obviously I’ll write insi- … I seem to have glued to card shut. No biggie, just a little force and- Oh no! The inside is covered with glitter and sprinkles! And glue! Um, okay, I’ll just write on the back. Except… the entire back is covered with hearts and flowers. “There’s nowhere for me to write!”

I feel a hoof on my shoulder and turn around to face my mum, holding a simple, store-bought card in her hoof. “It was a lovely attempt Alula, but perhaps next time you should hold back on the glue, and the sparkles, and the… everything.”

I take the card and cringe at its simplicity. “Mum, I can’t give her something like this. It has to be something special.”

“Dear, listen now. If this filly loves you as much as you say, then she will hardly care if the card you give her is something plain and ordinary like this, now will she?” Um… Maybe… “What matters is that you can properly relay you feelings to her, right?”

… I guess that’s true. “Yeah. You’re right!” I reach forward and give my mum a hug, which she returns. “Thanks! … So, what should we do with…” I motion my head towards the mess behind me, and mum giggles in response. It’s not that bad… right?


Blech! I hate walking to school on Hearts and Hooves Day. There are so many cheesy couples everywhere, hugging, and nuzzling, and kissing. It’s so gross, and they don’t even seem to care that they’re outside where everypony can see them!

The worst part was seeing DJ pony kissing that posh-looking pony on the neck. Isn’t that indecent exposure or something? Though there were some good sights on the way here, too. Like seeing that one stallion get the big turndown by Applejack, and seeing Rumble get rejected by Archer. Those were fun times.

“Hey there!” Oh, and now it’s her. Rainbow Dash, the most obnoxious Pegasus pony on the planet – save for that chicken classmate of mine – who seems to get Hearts and Hooves Day cards from practically everypony in our school each year. “I’m guessin’ you’ve got a card for me too, huh? No need to worry, you haven’t missed your chance!”

The first year it happened she spent the entire day bragging about her fan base. Every year after that she flies around the school area specifically so that ponies can give their cards to her. It’s so sad. “Actually, I don’t have a card for you,” I tell her with a grin. The look of shock on her face is priceless. It’s as if she can’t contemplate I’m not a huge fan of hers.

“Oh, that’s cool. I suppose you’d much rather have my autograph, huh?” I knew she’d say that, and I was planning on saying no, but… now that I think about it…

“Oh, yes please,” I answer, widening my eyes to adorable levels to make sure she can’t say no.

“Alrighty! I’d hate to let down a fan!” Totally not your fan. I just have a use for this… which is making Chickenloo do whatever I say. “Here ya go!”

“Uh, thanks…” Such scruffy hoofwriting! It’s like she’s never held a quill before… Which may be right, considering she used one of her feathers to write. Rainbow Dash takes off into the sky and flies off towards her next unfortunate victims, and I continue my journey to school.

After passing by many gross displays, such as Lyra sharing an ice-cream with Bon Bon, and Miss Minuette cleaning some stallions teeth in public (some ponies in this town are just plain weird), I finally make it to the schoolhouse.

“Good morning Miss Cheerilee,” I say as I enter the building. Miss Cheerilee looks up from her papers and smiles at me.

“Good morning Diamond Tiara. How are you today?”

“I’m fine.” Minus my breakfast wanting to come up my throat from everything I saw outside. “I have a Hearts and Hooves Day card for you.” Despite all the homework and detentions she gives me, she’s still an alright teacher… sometimes.

“Oh, why thank you!” She takes my card and places it on her desk, next to five other cards she must have received today from other students. “It’s always nice to know that my students appreciate me.”

“Good morning Miss Cheerilee!” Ugh. Those voices. It’s those three losers.

“Do you mind? You’re blocking the door!” Oh! And Silver spoon’s here, too! “Get this… monstrosity out of the way!”

“It’s not a monstrosity!” Apple Bloom shouts. “It’s a Hearts and Hooves Day card for Miss Cheerilee!”

That… thing is a Hearts and Hooves Day card? “Are you sure?” I ask as I approach them. “It looks more like something Silver’s cat would spit up.”

“Alright, everypony. Settle down.” Of course Miss Cheerilee would have to interrupt us just when it was getting good. “Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, perhaps you should take your seats as class is about to begin?”

Silver Spoon and I exchange glances, before turning around and walking over to our seats. Today, Silver Spoon decides to sit right behind me instead of two seats away, since we are doing group work today anyway.

I suppose now would be as good a time as any to give Silver Spoon her Hearts and Hooves Day card.

“Hey Di!” I turn to Alula, sitting next to Silver Spoon… and she offers a card to me. “Happy Hearts and Hooves Day! This is for you!”

… Uh. I… She’s giving me a card? What should I do? Silver Spoon? … She’s just smiling. I guess I should take it. “Uh, thanks.”

“Oh! Is that for me?” she asks as she points to the card on my desk.

“Uh, no. This is for Silver Spoon.” I give the card to Silver Spoon. “We give each other a card every year.”

“Oh.” Alula leans back in her chair and lowers her head. “I see…”

… Is she upset? Why? What did I- Oh! Was she expecting a card from me? How was I supposed to know that? What should I do? It’s not like I can just magic a card out of thin air!

“Psst!” I turn to Silver Spoon, who’s holding up a piece of paper with some writing scribbled onto it in black crayon. Does she want me to read it?

“Uh, I… I didn’t get you a card, because…” Silver Spoon holds up the next line for me. “… Everypony gives cards on Hearts and Hooves Day. It’s not special e… nough for… you?” Blech! What kind of corny dialogue is she making me say?

“You mean it?!” WAH! W-Well, at least it seems to be working…

“Uh…” Silver Spoon holds up the next piece of paper for me. “Y-Yeah. I got you something better…” I don’t like where this is going. “T-Tickets to Harmony Land this weekend?!”

“Harmony Land?!” Alula asks, jumping out of her seat and pulling me into a strong hug. “Ohmygoshohmygosh! That’s so- I don’t even know what to say! Thank you thank you thank you!”

“A-hem!” Alula stops and lets me go, and the two of us turn to see Miss Cheerilee standing beside us. “If you two are quite finished, perhaps we can begin today’s lesson.”

“Yes, Miss Cheerilee,” we both say in unison as the whole class begins to laugh.

Miss Cheerilee turns and moves back to the front of the class, and I turn around to face Silver Spoon. “What did you do that for?!” I whisper to her. “I don’t have tickets to Harmony Land, and I certainly can’t get any before this weekend!”

“Relax,” she whispers back to me in a calm tone. “I got you out of the doghouse, right?” What’s that supposed to mean? I just didn’t want her moping all day because I didn’t get her a card, that’s all. “As for the tickets, I totally have some. Three, in fact.”

“Y-You do?”

“Of course. Did you think I would come up with something like that if I didn’t have it all planned out?”

“… I guess not. So, wait. Does that mean we’re really going to Harmony Land this weekend?”

She nods. “Yep. And best of all, we get VIP access, which means we don’t have to wait in any lines.”

My eyes grow wide. That… is… awesome! “Oh my gosh! Silver Spoon, you’re the best!”

“Heh… I know…” Hm? That’s odd. She sounded kind of sad there for a moment… Nah, I’m sure it’s just my imagination. Anyway, VIP tickets to Harmony Land! This weekend is going to rule!


The walk to school today was great! It was so lovely to see other ponies in happy relationships too, and the thought that one day Diamond might actually be comfortable enough to let me display my affection for her just makes me smile so much!

To be honest, I was kind of worried when she didn’t seem to have a card for me. I thought that maybe she had forgotten, or even worse, that she didn’t care about me anymore! But, silly me, I jumped to conclusions! I knew my Diamond would show how much she cares in a much more special way than just giving me some card with hearts on it or something. To think that she went out of her way to get tickets to the most amazing, most fun, most outrageously expensive theme park in all of Equestria!

And the way she nervously stuttered about as she tried to tell me… it was so cute!

“Alula!” Huh? What? Where did Diamond and Silver Spoon go? “Over here!” I turn around to see both Diamond and Silver standing so distance away, down opposite path to the one that I took. “Where are you going?! The park is this way!”

Oh shoot! I wasn’t paying attention and just keep going straight! “Sorry!” I shout as I run to catch up with them. Miss Cheerilee let us go early since today is Hearts and Hooves Day, and now we’re on our way to the park to… to… Uh-oh. I wasn’t paying attention earlier; I was just thinking about Diamond Tiara! Or more specifically, going on a date with her!

Let’s see… they don’t have a basket, so we’re not going on a picnic. And Diamond didn’t bring her little notebook, so we’re not scheming anything against Apple Bloom and her friends. Silver Spoon’s got a big bag with some paper sticking out…

Ah, that’s right! Silver Spoon mentioned how she was going to enter that art contest thingy and asked us if we could help her out today. I guess that’s what we’re doing right now.

“Alright, this spot should do,” Silver Spoon says as we stop at a lovely, isolated space in the middle of the park. Isolated save for the beautiful flowerbeds and the butterflies flying about. “Now, you two crouch down beside one of the flowerbeds as if you’re tending to it.”

“For how long?” Diamond asks.

“You can’t rush perfection,” Silver replies. “But at least an hour.”

“A what?! You except me to stay crouched down in the dirt for a whole-”

“Is that a no?” Silver Spoon asks, her lips curling into a pout and her eyes widening. It seems to be effective on Diamond Tiara.

“Ugh, fine. But just an hour.”

“Thank you,” Silver Spoon says with a smile. “Alula, is that alright with you?”

“Huh? Uh, yeah,” I answer. I suppose that this way I can spend an entire hour by Diamond’s side.

“Cool! Then get into posit-” Silver Spoon stops and looks around. “Do you hear that?”

“Hear what?” Suddenly, the sound of laughter enters my ears. “Huh. Guess somepony’s having a good time.”

“Miss Cheerilee?” Diamond asks, pointing her hoof towards some bushes. I move to look beyond them and… “And is that… that blank flank’s brother?”

“What are they doing?” It looks they’re giggling together… whilst walking very close together… whilst nuzzling each other… whilst gazing into each other’s eyes so lovingly…

“You’re my shmoopy-doopy sweetie-weetie pony pie,” Miss Cheerilee says to Big… Big… Hackandtoss?

“You’re my shmoopy-doopy sweetie-weetie pony pie,” the stallion whose name I can’t remember says.

“Uh… what?” Diamond asks, cringing as she watched the two walk by.

“You’re my cutie-patootie lovie-dovie honey-bunny,” Miss Cheerilee says… in a disturbing voice… Suddenly it feels like I’m about to lose my lunch.

“What did she say?” Silver Spoon asks.

“You're my heartie-smartie smoochie-woochie baby-waby,” the stallion says.

“Blech!” Diamond also looks like she’s about to lose her lunch. The two pass by us, leaving us in complete silence now that… whatever that was… is now over.

“… Do we have to do this at the park?” Diamond asks. “I’ve got a lovely flowerbed back at home.”

Silver Spoon nods. “That’ll work. But first, I need to erase the last five minutes from my brain.”

Diamond gasps and her eyes light up. “Anime marathon?!”

“… Sure.”

Well, I’m not one for just sitting around watching the TV all day, but yeah, I agree with Silver Spoon. “I’m in too. But what do you think could have happened to them?”

Diamond shudders as she turns to walk away. “I can only imagine it was something of the darkest, most evil nature known to ponykind. Possibly a demon that escaped the gates of Tartarus.”

“Hey,” Silver Spoon says as we start walking, “Weren’t the Cutie Mark Losers saying something about fixing Miss Cheerilee up with a date.”

“You think they had something to do with this?” I ask.

“Oh please,” Diamond scoffs. “Even those idiots couldn’t possibly mess up so badly as to cause… that.”


This has got to be the best week ever. Not only did it turn out the Crusaders were responsible for whatever happened to Miss Cheerilee and Big Slackingoff, meaning they got punished by both of them, but Miss Cheerilee’s been so distracted by her new relationship that she totally forgot to give us that test we were supposed to have yesterday! And homework. And she forgot to mark our previous homework, giving me a chance to slip mine in that I forgot to do. And classes have basically been extended naptime lately.

And now I’m here at the gates to Harmony Land with Alula – who for some reason is more dressed-up than usual today, wearing a fancy purple dress – and I’m just waiting for Silver Spoon to show up so that I can-

“Excuse me.” Whoa! Featherweight? He has an uncanny skill to pop out of nowhere and startle ponies. “Message from Miss Silver Spoon.”

He holds up an envelope in his hoof. A message from Silver Spoon? What is she doing? She’d better not be late. “Give me that,” I order the colt as I take the letter from him.

He bows his head slightly. “Have a good day, ma’am.” He turns around and walks away, stopping for a brief moment to take a photograph of some ponies kissing on a bench.

“What’s this all about?” I ask myself as I open the envelope. I take out the letter and read it.

My dearest friend, Diamond Tiara,

I regret to inform you that I made a crucial mistake, and in fact only have two tickets, not three. It is unfortunate, but I have decided to give my tickets to my two closest friends, so that you may enjoy the day together to its fullest. I know how much you both wanted to go, and wouldn’t dream of tearing you away from it.

Well, go ahead and have fun now! And good luck ;)

Silver Spoon

P.s. Do not tell Alula about this. I don’t want her feeling bad about me not being there. Just pretend you only had two tickets all along or something, okay? ^_^

She… miscounted her number of tickets? How do you miscount something like that?! There were three days that she could have noticed her error!

“What’s wrong?” Alula asks as she returns from the restroom.

Silver Spoon told me, for some reason, not to tell Alula about this. “Uh… nothing.” I reach into the envelope and take out the two tickets, and then stuff the envelope and letter into my saddlebag. “C’mon, let’s go…” Well, your loss Silver Spoon, I’ve been looking forward to this day too much to just give it up now!

“What should we ride first?” Alula asks as we enter the VIP line into the park.

“First a few ground rules: no water rides.” I don’t want my mane to be ruined, and I still have bad dreams about water after that incident in the water park. “Second, if you’re going to vomit do it away from me.”

“Don’t worry!” We both pass through the turnstiles and enter the park. “I don’t get sick even on big rides!”

Well good for you. “Finally, our first stop is the gift shop. I want to make sure I get something for Silver Spoon.”

“… You really care for Silver Spoon, don’t you?” Well, duh.

“We’ve been friends since kindergarten. We do everything together, and even formed our own secret language together.”

“You did?” Ah! What am I doing telling her that?! “Can you teach me some time?”

… “No.” It’s one thing to let that secret slip, but I am not going to admit that I forgot the very language I made up!

“Aw, come on!”

“I said no!” I say as I start to run. “Now to the gift shop!”

“I promise I won’t tell anypony!” I hear her running behind me.

“Just drop it! I didn’t say anything!”

“Diamoooooooond!”

“I said drop it!”


Beautiful day? Check! Lots of fun? Check! Have Diamond eat my homemade lunch? Check! Everything’s just been so great! The rides, the zoo, the haunted house (though Diamond kicking one of the ghostly actors in the stomach probably would have gotten us kicked out, were we not VIPs)… This whole day has just been so great!

As we jump off of the Nightmare Doom ride, Diamond picks up her tiara and our bags from the loose articles compartment as I run on ahead to check out our photo. Let’s see, where are we? … Ah-ha! There we ar- Pfft!

“Hey!” I turn to see Diamond approaching me. “At least carry your own stuff… What’s so funny?”

I take my bag and compose myself long enough to point to our photograph. “Your face!” I manage to say before I start to laugh again.

Diamond’s face in front of me shows her annoyance as she stares at her face in the photo. “Yeah, yeah. That wasn’t even funny the first time.” Oh, I disagree. “Anyway, this was the last attraction, right?”

I stop laughing and shake my head. “Not yet. There’s still one more,” I say as I leave the photo stall, with Diamond following behind me.

“What’s that?” I point my hoof towards the giant Ferris wheel on the other side of the lake in front of us. “The Ferris wheel? But they’re so slow, and boring!”

They’re also romantic. “But the view from the top is great! C’mon, we’ve got time, right?” I hear Diamond groan. So she’s gonna play hardball huh? “Pleeeeeeease?”

“Alula.”

“Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?” I put on my cutest face, knowing that there’s no way she can resist it. She turns to look away from me, so I try to follow after her. Only, I bump into somepony passing by as I do so and end up spilling their ice-cream on the floor. “Oh! Sorry ‘bout that!”

“You klutz! Watch where you’re going!” the teenage-looking mare shouts at me as she take a step towards me, looking… pretty fierce… “I hope for your sake you have the money to make up for this!”

“Y-Yeah! Sure! H-How much? Three bits?”

“Three? Try twenty!” Twenty?! For an ice-cream?! No way! “You got a problem with that?” But, she’s the bigger pony here.

“N-Not at all. Here you- WAH!”

“One ice-cream does not cost twenty bits!” Diamond shouts as she pushes me to the side. “And it was you that walked into her!”

“You getting smart with me kid?!”

“Doesn’t take much to outsmart a stupid mule like you!” Diamond turns to her right. “No offence.”

“None taken,” a random mule passing by says.

“Look kid,” the bigger mare says, “I’ll give you one chance to apologise, before I-”

“Before you what?” Diamond asks. “By the way, you realise we’re in a public area, right? And that ponies are looking at you threatening a child?” The older mare’s ears twitch and she looks around. “If I were you, I’d worry about getting out of here before security gets involved.”

With a grunt, the older mare turns around and runs away. I turn back to Diamond, who flicks her mane with a huff. That was… “That was amazing!”

Diamond turns to me and walks closer. “You moron! Why were you about to give her your money so easily? Why didn’t you try standing up for yourself?!”

“Well, s-she was bigger than me, so-”

“So what? You can’t let ponies walk all over you just because they’re bigger than you, otherwise they’ll always be walking over you! Just look at Miss Fluttershy!”

“But aren’t you the one that walks all over her when she foalsits you?”

“That’s not the point!” She grabs my hoof and starts to walk away, pulling me along with her. “Come on, let’s go!”

“W-Wait! Where are we-”

“The Ferris wheel, duh! That’s where you wanted to go, right?”

Huh? But, wasn’t she against it earlier? Ah, whatever! I pick up my pace to match hers and she releases my hoof… Not that I would have minded her holding onto it a little longer, of course.


“Wow! This is great!” Alula says as she looks outside of her window. I join her by looking outside, and… “See? I told you it would be good!”

The view is kind of beautiful up here, especially with the night-time sky and all the lights on down below, and-

BANG!

Oh, fireworks are going off. I guess that means it’s nine o’clock now, since that’s when the show is scheduled to start. “We’ll have to leave after this,” I tell Alula. “Daddy will be waiting outside soon.”

“I know,” she says. “Today was really fun, wasn’t it?”

I guess it wasn’t bad… Okay, that’s a lie. Even without Silver Spoon here, today was totally awesome! Until that stupid ugly mule showed up, of course. I had no intention of riding the train home with a depressed Alula, and it would reflect badly on me if one of my… associates, was robbed right in front of me.

So I stepped in to save the day, of course. And to cheer Alula up, I agreed to this stupid Ferris wheel ride. But I’ll admit, I’m liking this. I’m actually glad that Alula convinced me to ride on this thing… though it could definitely go with being a bit faster.

“I love you…” Alula mumbles next… to… me…

WHAT?! “W-What did you-” She’s… sleeping… She’s talking in her sleep? Wait, Alula loves somepony? Who? I thought Alula didn’t have many friends, hence she’s always hanging out with me and Silver. Who could she possibly have feelings for?

Maybe if I listen closely, she’ll say more… N-Not that I care, but there’s not much else to do up here now that’s asleep. Wait, no, I’d better wake her up, before we reach the bottom.

“Hey, Alula.” I give her a nudge. It does nothing. “Alulaaaaaaaaaah,” I yawn as I rub my eye. Oh no. I’m getting sleepyyyyyyyyy…

Take that blank flank… I now own your farm…

“Miss?” Go away. I’m monopolizing. “Miss, wake up. It’s time for you to get off now.” Hm?

I open my eyes… and see a pair of green eyes from the stallion operating the Ferris wheel looking at me. “Oh good, you’re awake. Wake up your friend now. It’s time for you to leave the carriage.”

I turn to my left, and Alula curled up next to me… snuggling against my mane. “Ah! A-Alula, wake up!”

I yank my mane away (ouch), and Alula rolls off of the seat and lands on the floor of the carriage. “Whuh? What’s wrong?”

“It’s time for you to leave, Miss,” the stallion tells her.

“Oh… Oh!” Alula’s face turns red and she quickly jumps out of the carriage. I follow, and of course, everypony in the line outside is either laughing or ‘d’awww’ing at us.

“Let’s just go,” I say as I lead the way towards the theme park’s exit.

“Y-Yeah…” I hear Alula following behind me, and we continuing walking in complete silence, save for the fireworks going off in background behind us.

… Huh. I get the feeling I learned something important earlier, but for the life of my I can’t remember it.

“Uh, d-did I say anything funny in my sleep?” Alula asks. Anything funny? I don’t think so…

“I think we fell asleep at the same time.”

“Oh, okay…”

Hmmm… Oh well, whatever it was, I’m sure it wasn’t important.

Author's Note:

Thanks to Blue_Paladin42 for pre-reading and helping me out :pinkiehappy: