Spike Fanfictions 2,960 members · 5,609 stories
Comments ( 26 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 26

Why do people keep giving Spike harems? Why can't one of the other main characters get one? It is possible to give a girl a harem, you know.

Because among guy characters Spike was the most reoccurring of them and closest to the Mane Six the most

7753256 Well, there are plenty of stories involving Twilight (or occasionally another mare) having a harem, unless you mean a story with a mare having a harem filled with stallions, that's usually not all that common.

Well think about it he's a dragon it makes sense and yeah what Wildcard25 said he is the most recurring male character in the series

And given the bs he goes through in the show, he deserves quite some love.

Just enough of a palatable to use as a projection character, and people love to give themselves lots of women

As for women centric harems, people are cowards

Nobody likes to talk about Season 4...

Whats your solution on that one?

Enforce the Slapstick Knows No Gender Trope for every one of the Mane Six. What, think that just because you're now a Princess or a professional dressmaker that it means you are now exempt from bad luck or pain or inconvenient misfortune from happening to you? Ha-ha No...

7753256 Because Spike gets all the fillies/colts and mares/stallions.

Because this is a spike fan group.

There are plenty of mane 6 character stories or other main lady characters with harems too. Look up a ship or a group.

I personally don't like harem it dosen’t work in practice not to mention I had an uncle who got killed by one of his wives after that experience I never liked them (my uncle was Islamic by the way)

It because he is very close to alot of the main females and he dosent have much of a character so you are able to give him a characteristic to the story your making. Seeing he is kinda of a plblanke slate you can make him fall in love with any female or male seeing he personality is very one sided

It's mainly due to there not being many other options since the mane 6 have hardly any other mutual male friends that they are all close to, besides Spike.

Another reason is that sometimes harem stories are wish-fulfillment and a male writer may prefer to use a character that matches their gender. It's part of the reason why most OCs in harem stories are male, despite how female-female romance stories far outnumber female/male romances on the site. Using Spike as a pseudo-self-insert instead of an OC or self-insert can be a way to avert the stigma that self-inserts (or even OCs that might come off as self-inserts but aren't a true self-insert) sometimes have.

To compensate for his being short and underage. Not sure how that's supposed to help, but I don't write these things.

He's not underaged, he's just small for his age. After all he's not much younger than Twilight herself.

Eh, by dragon standards he just hit puberty in season 9, "Molt Down". I'd suggest age-wise, that he's anywhere from the ages the CMC were in season 1 to their ages in season 5 by that time... (Since season 5 is where they got their cutie marks, but their classmates got them in season 1.)

Also keep in mind that Twilight got her cutie mark when Spike was hatched. That really is a fair amount younger...

--Sweetie Belle

It's true, Spike is not underage, he is just short and a slow "Evolver", it was even mentioned that Spike was somewhat older than the girls because dragons age differently.

As to answer your question, I agree with "Thepinkedwonderer" male writers use Spike as a means of self-insert and since his personality during the show is not developed to its full potential it is easy to give him a new personality or add him to stories in such ways that you don't start to question it (Like Fluttershy suddenly acting like Pinkie.)
Or because many fans think he deserves it for being more of a "tool" than a friend during the show.

You also seem to not remember, she was just entering a school specifically for gifted unicorns. So I'd say that Twilight at that time was either four or five years old at the time given how she had some difficulty using her magic before she hatched Spike. So I'd say he's only four or five years younger than Twilight. You have to remember she looked much younger than the CMC. Also it's implied that many of the cmc's classmates got their cutie marks much earlier than the girls. Throwing the fact that apparently the majority of the main six were also late bloomers, it's unusual for ponies to get their cutie marks so late in life. I mean Fluttershy and Rarity are the oldest members of the main six to the point that Fluttershy when she got her cutie mark was going through that awkward stage of growth where your limbs are too long for your body. Also Spike seems to be a late bloomer just like most of his friend Circle.

*nods in StarMaudTrixieTwiPest*

You do realize this is a Spike fanfiction group, right?
Try going for other characters' or harem/polyamory specific groups if you want to see that.

One thing before I give my reasons for this, this is a Spike Fanfiction group. A question like this would not fit here if it refers to harems. I would suggest going to the Harem/Polyamory Groups since it would be much more suitable there.

Anyway, to answer your question, my most significant reason for Spike getting a harem is that there aren't really that many stories where Spike has more than one mate. I've read a few stories where he gets with one of the CMC, the Main Six (definitely Rarity), and Ember too. Either that or there are some characters in MLP that others do not think would be compatible or have good chemistry with our dragon boi. Therefore he's shipped with the ones he's known the longest and has the most. Reasons that I can understand.

On a side note, I'm one of those people who have a soft spot for the harem genre. Especially in Anime. In spite of how most of them are done for the fan service and not for the actual plot and story itself. I have seen at least a couple of well-written harem anime so I'm not gonna say that all of them are done horribly. Just gotta look for the right ones.

Perhaps it's just my reading habits but I've seen far more "Mane Six form a harem around Twilight" stories than I have Spike harem stories.

Again, there is a folder for Spike harems the Spike group. Thus, I assumed I would be allowed to make such a post. None of the mods complained, so I also assumed what I did was fine with them. I fail to see why you are getting bent out of shape about something so silly, or how I am being, in your words, "a whiny idiot," especially since nobody else in the group seems to be getting upset. To be honest, if you don't want me around asking questions on the group your are in that you find offensive, you should take it to the mods or leave because I'm not going to go away because some random person on the internet says so, especially if they are being nothing but rude to me for no reason like you are. Good day, sir.

You're a sad little thing, aren't you? Took you this long to realize you could reply to me here? Or was it to come up with a retort?
Whatever, keep up with whatever your goal may be. I won't waste my time replying to you again.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 26