The Writers' Group 9,331 members · 56,860 stories
Comments ( 26 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 26

Most peaceful discussion in a comment section of a TCB fanfic:

Seriously why are they so Hostile and argument filled?

hmaf43 #2 · January 8th · · 1 ·

Because toxic fanboys

Pro-humans: humans are superior you bunch anthropomorphic!
Pro-ponies: Cry louder you xenophobic! Our cute horse waifus are stronger!

Personally, TCB is up there with reverse gender role and caribou. Poke it with a stick made me feel dirty.

Personally I agree with your sentiment, but sadly the truth is the subject matter is argumentative in nature. The story/setting itself (despite any attempt to be partial in its storytelling) inevitably takes one side over the other. Believe me, I tried to be neutral in trying to present a TBC story as I try to showcase that both sides have much to lose and gain from the war, but ultimately, someone has to start the conflict or justify it and unfortunately it has led to become a subjective storytelling.

The Conversation Bureau.

You'll know when you read them

It's Conversion not conversation

Fic where ponie come to earth and bring a magic dome thingie that kill all non ponie things. The pony have serum thingy that transform human to pony but side effect include forget all previous life, become subservient/fanatic(usually happens in most story I read) anyway himan pony war happen and that where comment conflict is spawned

What is a TCB fanfic?

The Conversation Bureau.

The Conversion Bureau

Know the difference.

Personally, TCB is up there with reverse gender role and caribou. Poke it with a stick made me feel dirty.

Same. And I'd add Striping, and Zebra-Dom/Sub genres to that list for the same reasons. Any story or genre that has the central focus on a conflict based on different species just smacks of racial overtones that I'd really rather just forget exists when I come to this site. At least when the show did it (with changelings, gryphons, yaks etc) the resolution was befriending rather than defeating.

I won't condemn them as genres for existing, (kettle & pot, free speech and all that). I simply don't seek them out. But it's really no surprise that something with this kind of political or social charge to it would turn the comment sections into a dumpster-fire flame war.

It's easy enough to ignore by not reading it or seeking it out. But unfortunately controversy generates comments and views which I think some people use intentionally to manipulate the site's algorithms. And I can't really fault them for beating the system at it's own game.

But I do blame the viewers and commenters who rise to the bait in this way, and in general, people who seek out offensive material just to get offended and voice their offence. That does not help anyone, and worst, exacerbates the very problem they are complaining about by increasing its popularity metrics.

Know the difference.

Jeez. Sorry for accidentally getting it wrong for the first time. Don't need to act this hostile over a mere error in wording. :rainbowderp:

Seriously why are they so Hostile and argument filled?

Do you have any examples to show how the comments compare to non-TCB fics such as those by Sonic_Applejack2005

I very much doubt he's trying to be hostile, even if you didn't find the examples funny.

7923852 I'm never hostile. Could these innocent eyes of mine ever be mean to anypony?

I mean, really, what's up with people always assuming a defensive stance around me?

I don't understand what you mean:rainbowderp:
Sorry English isn't my first language

My brain hurts from reading that

It's been a few years, but I remember it differently.

Equestria world was dying, so Celestia and the other Princesses move the entire land to Earth.

Conflict ensues, but things are largely peaceful.

I can't recall if Equestria's magic infests Earth, or if Celestia just wanted peace. But As a solution, Celestia creates The Conversion Bureau, to convert humans into ponies so they can live together in harmony.

That's the overall base of the universe.

Celestia claims that the new breeding stock helps repopulate their numbers. But whether this was an intentional lie is unclear.

At first the potion was voluntary. Until hostile attacks on ponies ensues, then Celestia begins to force the conversion on Earth, by way of the magic dome that slowly engulfs the world.

Turns out, converting to a pony renders a human sterile, and has a brainwashed devotion to Celestia; forgetting their past life and exudes perpetual happiness to the point they are in agonizing pain, but can't express it.

This was the reason for the attacks, because Celestia was suspected to have knowledge of the devastating side effects.

Celestia continues to lie to Twilight, believing the humans are over reacting and of course doesn't question Celestia, who goes into hiding.

I do think it's getting better.

While general human(HiE, displaced) groups filled with Pro-human, the pro-ponies seem to be dispropotionally smaller nowaday, and confined to their specific niche groups and only active in some specific stories.

Personally, I think it's Equestria girl that kill the momentum. Why use vanilla human world when you can based of EQG?

The original The Conversion Bureau (TCB) was an okay-ish escapist fantasy where humanity was destroying itself and polluting Earth through our excesses. Celestia noticed this and made contact with Earth. She couldn't help the planet, but she could rescue humans through bringing them to Equestria. Doing so required them to become ponies (Equestria's ambient magic was harmful, or something). The main character gets convinced to be ponified, and up to that point the story does an okay job of the character needing to consider this huge decision. After ponification, the main character realizes that being a pony is great and goes back to convince more people to help themselves via ponification.

From my memory, the story just stops there because the author stopped writing. There is quite a bit of yay-pony, boo-human, but on the whole it's not a very aggressive or politicalized setting. While ponies are portrayed as ideal, humans aren't strictly bad; mostly we just fucked up and need help. But people liked the idea and other authors picked up the theme of ponification to save humans from themselves.

Enter Chatoyance.

Chatoyance is/was a major TCB setting enthusiast who vigorously pushed the idea that humankind is actually just awful, and that ponykind is fully justified - and right - in saving us from ourselves via ponification. Ponification is our only savior in Chatoyance's version of TCB. And Chatoyance is/was very vocal about their viewpoint. They were definitely writing what they themself believed.

Now, there were a number of bronies who didn't like this idea of Chatoyance's, especially Chatoyance's constant vocalness about it being the absolutely correct one. This resulted in a loose collection of authors writing the anti-Chatoyance TCB, where instead of ponykind saving humankind from itself, ponykind - SuperEvilCelestia especially - was using forced ponification to turn humans into slaves, and using Equestria's ambient magic to exterminate any humans who she couldn't convert.

And this is where we are today.

Chatoyance's yay-ponies TCB on one end, and the anti-Chatoyance human-pony war of extermination TCB on the other end. In the middle you have the forum arguments between these two sides. #DumpsterFire

Wow that's a wayyy better explanation. thanks dude!

Guys, someone can give me some context, what's this group? Can I join :p

The context on the group is on the front page of the group, did you read it?

This thread is not for telling about context of the group, read the goddamn front page won’t you?

hawthornbunny
Group Admin

There's no need for that rudeness. Please treat other members with due respect.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 26