The Writers' Group 9,291 members · 56,392 stories
Comments ( 39 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 39

With the series over there are a lot of questions that were never answered. I was trying to make a list and wanted to see if anyone could add to it. These are the ones that popped up off the top of my head.

1. What happened to all the alicorns before Celestia and Luna? We see statues and art depicting them, but no word of what happened to them.

2. Who built the Well of Shade?

3. Is Discord the only draconiquis? If not where are the rest? If so, where did he come from?

4. Flurry Heart' a significance. We can call her the "Princess of Buy Our Toys" except there aren't Flurry Heart toys. Was she supposed to be a full plotline that was never followed up on?

5. What exactly happened to Bright Mac and Pear Butter?

6. What happened to Starlight Glimmer's mother?

7. Where are the bat ponies and how do Equestrians as a whole feel about them?

8. Where exactly are the Zebra Lands?

9. Why did Zecora come to Ponyville?

10. Who are Cozy Glow's parents?

11. What's up with the Harmony Tree House? They made it and then nothing was done with it.

12. Does the Cutie Map still work after the destruction of the Tree of Harmony? It was never used in the final season.

13. Where exactly did the three main tribes migrate to Equestria from during the Hearthswarming Story?

14. Why are all the powerful artifacts ancient? Shouldn't the most powerful artifacts be more more modern creations if knowledge is increasing? Does this mean Equestria is technically in a dark age following the fall of more magically advanced civilization?

15. Pony genetics... How is having wings or a horn the same in terms of traits as having different colored eyes or hair in humans? These aren't small genetic variances, those are whole other body parts.

Honestly wish that Season 9 didn't have to rely on that stupid arc it gave us.

In other words: WE WOULD OF GOTTEN ANSWERS TO THOSE QUESTIONS ONCE AND FOR ALL!

These are good questions. Gives people a lot of inspiration!^^

Do you want more questions or some answers? ʼCause I can give both. I have a long list of possible answers and an equally long list of additional questions. Just let me know, please.

So many unanswered questions. Only wish that season nine give us some answers to these questions

Don't look at them as unanswered questions, but rather as points that you're free to explore as an author.

indeed! Where are the answers we need?!

I think these things are left up to our imagination. Some say alicorns are not immortal but just live longer than other ponies. There was a thousand year gap between Celestia and Lunas time as the bearers of the elements and Twilight becoming an alicorn. Now if alicorns were immortal there could have been a great war which killed them. Though I go by the book Journal of the Two Sisters stating that Celestia and Luna remained young through their powers to raise the sun and moon.

Here's another one. Why the fuck did Hasbro think kicking the Mane 7 to the curb and making them look as incompetent and stupid as they did back in Season 1, was a good idea?

They knew back in Season 8 that Season 9 was the final season of the show. The treehouse is just the perfect example of how much Hasbro didn't have a plan for any of this.

And the Tree of Harmony? Another sign of incompetent writing all around. Her thank you to the girls. You know, the ones who saved her life? She all but said "Fuck off boomers! You never mattered to me. Aside from stealing your look Twilight. Because I'm too lazy to be original."

I could go on. But this sums up why I forever abandoned the show in Season 8.

Honestly, I don't think of these questions would have changed the story had we had an answer to them. Could be wrong though.

As much as I like the idea of batponies existing, as far as I'm concerned, the show has hinted that they do not exist.

Their first appearance was during Nightmare Night, when most ponies would have been in costume. There is also the chance that it is just a uniform, as evidenced in this scene from Part 2 of the Cutie Re-Mark:

You've got ponies that aren't grey, plus Rainbow Dash, all standing there, looking like Luna's "batpony" guards from the Nightmare Night episode.

I would say you're not wrong. The writers do some dumb things. Like in the Cutie Mark Chronicles, they showed Twilight as a filly when her Canterlot friends were full grown, but it had already been established they knew each other at the school of magic. Also I heard it was planned for her to have a brother all along so what was the point in waiting till a Canterlot wedding to introduce him.

As much as I like the idea of batponies existing, as far as I'm concerned, the show has hinted that they do not exist.

Do NOT say that in front of me. BAT PONIES ARE REAL! >:( :flutterrage:

Answer to all those questions - writers are lazy hacks.
Additionally regarding 14: it is common dumb trope frequently appearing in fantasy, I think it was born from misapplication of low fantasy tropes to high fantasy.

I think the good thing about all of these questions is that Hasbro might learn from them while doing Generation 5. Most of these questions always have to be about debatable topics without a resolution. And since Generation 5 is gonna be mostly for adults, the questions they have might be answered instead of what we ended up in Generation 4.

Plus they both have great amazing female designs for sure. X3 :heart:

Here are some more questions,

16. What happened to Spike's parents? Are they still alive? And how did Celestia get the Spike' egg?

17. Where did Princess Cadence come from? How did she became an Alicorn? Is she immortal?

18. What became of the Storm King's Empire?

What do I think?

Answer to all those questions - writers are lazy hacks.

Agreed.

Or another Female of course, just so a new meme can be established for Discord: Discord gets all the Female Draconequus. XD

Well none of these can really be answered. It's just our imagination as far as I know. Though I did hear there was something set up for Cadences backstory. You should look at the Princess Cadence Backstory video on YouTube. It goes by what was said in a book about that topic, as for Immortality that's not answered either. The whole alicorns are immortal thing is just a fan made idea based on the fact that the sisters have lived for a thousand years, but it's never been revealed in the show how. Dragons are obviously longer lived than ponies but alicorns have magic and we know age spells exist so that's another possibility.

If you accept the G. M. Berrow chapter books as canon, there's some backstory for Cadance in the first one, Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell. I haven't read it for ages, but I do recall the big takeaway, which is that Cadance was born a pegasus.

Yes I've heard of them but I don't consider them canon.

I actually have that book btw! It's the first MLP Chapter book I ever gotten. X3

Oh yeah, so many. (Although a show probably should have at least a few.)

1. What happened to all the alicorns before Celestia and Luna? We see statues and art depicting them, but no word of what happened to them.

Are there really such depictions that are sufficiently detailed we can tell they're not the Royal Sisters? Even if that was the case, art doesn't mean there were any - it's a pretty obvious symbolic representation of the three-in-one interrelation of the pony tribes.

2. Who built the Well of Shade?

And why - to empower the darkness, contain it, or use it for their own purposes?

3. Is Discord the only draconiquis? If not where are the rest? If so, where did he come from?

I have him as the greatest success of Echidna, the Mother of Monsters - a rather experimental deity who can also be blamed for manticores, chimeras and various other implausible hybrid beasts. "Draconequues" is an Old Ponish word for such unlikely hybrids, born from a mix of anti-draconic and anti-miscegenation sentiments that might leave it quite inappropriate for use today if anyone actually remembered them.

4. Flurry Heart' a significance. We can call her the "Princess of Buy Our Toys" except there aren't Flurry Heart toys. Was she supposed to be a full plotline that was never followed up on?

First, there are. Secondly, can't a pony at least graduate preschool before needing some grand destiny? The Manes made it all the way to adulthood before they did much important.

5. What exactly happened to Bright Mac and Pear Butter?

6. What happened to Starlight Glimmer's mother?

Nothing good, I suspect - although the latter may survive somewhere after having left her family, which is... better?

7. Where are the bat ponies and how do Equestrians as a whole feel about them?

Two identical, silent monstrous-looking ponies glimpsed momentarily on Nightmare Night, in the service of a known shapeshifter and illusionist, when it was already suspected the Guard's appearances were less than natural? I really couldn't tell...:trollestia:

Honestly, somtimes I wonder how it was taken seriously for so long, and then I remember how Derpy and Lyra got started. Of course, this isn't a bad thing per se - there have been many very good fan depictions, and yours in particular comes to mind when I imagine a night pony society. But that's in worlds where Luna was never banished - not the one we see in the show.

8. Where exactly are the Zebra Lands?

9. Why did Zecora come to Ponyville?

Further away then anywhere we've been in the show that wasn't in another dimension.

And while I suspect that the fascinating botanomagical potential of the Everfree has something to do with it, one can't help but find something suspicious about someone who runs to the other side of the world and then even there lives outside a small town. I'm not saying she's definitely hiding from someone, but she could be.

10. Who are Cozy Glow's parents?

A lot of people like to give her abusive ones, for obvious reasons - or just make her an orphan. I personally like the idea of her being from a perfectly normal blue-collar pegasus family, but I admit their utter absence in Season 9 does suggest otherwise slightly.

11. What's up with the Harmony Tree House? They made it and then nothing was done with it.

Quite frustrating - I almost thought it was a grave marker, but on rewatch the Tree spirit seems to have survived. It would be nice to think the Map still worked, but I won't hold my breath.

13. Where exactly did the three main tribes migrate to Equestria from during the Hearthswarming Story?

I have them coming from what's nowadays called Eastern Equestria - but then, my map is rather differently shaped to the canon one.

14. Why are all the powerful artifacts ancient? Shouldn't the most powerful artifacts be more more modern creations if knowledge is increasing? Does this mean Equestria is technically in a dark age following the fall of more magically advanced civilization?

Filtration effect - no-one save magical historians cares about the countless ancient artefacts which are less than impressive, and that's the one's whose magic hasn't expired long ago. Creating powerful, lasting items seems to be a "great mage" thing anyway, so it would come and go according to talents. And there are a few impressive items that are definitely modern ( Spike's enchanted comic, as much as I prefer to retcon it as a Discord prank) or of ambiguous age (Neighsay's EEA medallion.)

15. Pony genetics... How is having wings or a horn the same in terms of traits as having different colored eyes or hair in humans? These aren't small genetic variances, those are whole other body parts.

Don't forget their massive colour variance! But I figure it's not just genetic, but pre-natal development thing too. After all, all humans start off anatomically female but by the time they leave the womb it's about a 50-50 split.

No. Perhaps a couple of them, but plenty are just not on the show's radar.

Background ponies were not chracters back then, just crowd fillers (as evidenced by the many duplicates).

And since Generation 5 is gonna be mostly for adults,

Citation very much needed.

16. What happened to Spike's parents? Are they still alive? And how did Celestia get the Spike' egg?

I've never seen the need to answer the first two - but the last one has bugged me hard since at least Dragon Quest, because unlike the others there's no reason for the characters not to know it.

17. Where did Princess Cadence come from? How did she became an Alicorn? Is she immortal?

She got a chapter book origin, which I use (and embellish).

18. What became of the Storm King's Empire?

Ugh. If show worldbuilding is a cracked glass, movie worldbuilding is a shattered one.

As for questions of my own...

• How come Ponyville has one teacher and no police, but a full-scale hospital?
  • How come Apple Bloom was born when AJ was a foal, but Diamond Tiara's parents were still engaged (and Apple Bloom mysteriously absent) when AJ was older?
  • How have the CMC not graduated after 9 seasons?
  • Why was Luna upset about people sleeping through the night when her primary activity requires people to be asleep for her to be able to do it?
  • How come all non-ponies seem to have about a town apiece, while Equestria is vast and filled with all sorts of settlements?
  • Are hippogriffs at all related to ponies or griffons?

I'll think of some more later.

Where are the bat ponies and how do Equestrians as a whole feel about them?

Bat ponies should not be real because they have no place in the Hearth's Warming story about every pony race having some kind of job and purpose for the sake of farming, and their existance is a consequence of hype about Luna being misunderstood and not deserving banishment.

What happened to Spike's parents? Are they still alive? And how did Celestia get the Spike' egg?

Dragons do not care about their offspring. They lay eggs and leave, and the so-callded Dragonlord takes all the care. Garble and Smolder also have no parents around, so Torch and Ember probably are the only sane dragons.

Why was Luna upset about people sleeping through the night when her primary activity requires people to be asleep for her to be able to do it?

...actually, i have an explanation here, but it is too long and logical, so let's say that she was young, stupid and excessively emotional, as she partially still is. I mean, she created a monstrosity capable of screwing "ALL EQUESTRIA!!!" just because she could not forgive herself for her rebellion.

How come all non-ponies seem to have about a town apiece, while Equestria is vast and filled with all sorts of settlements?

They don't know friendship and can't work together, and also have no magic. Ponies are the superior species.

Dragons do not care about their offspring. They lay eggs and leave, and the so-callded Dragonlord takes all the care. Garble and Smolder also have no parents around, so Torch and Ember probably are the only sane dragons.

Smoulder explicitly states that her parents kicked her brother (and presumably, later her as well) out when they molted. Ergo, unmolted dragons are under parental care most of the time - reinfoced by the line line back in Dragon Quest " You fly in on your mommy's back during the migration?".

They don't know friendship and can't work together, and also have no magic. Ponies are the superior species.

Hippogriffs don't seem particularly lacking in it, but I suppose it could be more subtle. Not sure how that keeps their populations so small, though.

Smoulder explicitly states that her parents kicked her brother (and presumably, later her as well) out when they molted. Ergo, unmolted dragons are under parental care most of the time - reinfoced by the line line back in Dragon Quest " You fly in on your mommy's back during the migration?".

Well, they were first to embrace friendship after Ember. And how do you think parents should find their babies when all generation hatches simultaneously with only one adult to watch them?

Hippogriffs don't seem particularly lacking in it, but I suppose it could be more subtle. Not sure how that keeps their populations so small, though.

Well, whenever a villain comes they probably can not respond as it was in the movie. But on the other hand, all villains want only Equestria to steal its magic or love and friendship...

Long before that, though. And scent markers, probably. (Although in that case, you'd think Smoulder could smell if Spike and Sludge were related - but perhaps they wear off after infancy.) Notably, Sludge's apologetic presentation of losing Spike's egg also implies that dragon parents are supposed to be involved in their children's early lives.

Then it is weird and inconsistent to abandon eggs but take hatchlings. As for Sludge, he lied and designed the story to impress ponies and Spike who adopted their mentality.

Not if the dragons can recognise their young after hatching. And yes, that's possible... but is Sludge really that smart?

Not if the dragons can recognise their young after hatching.

Yes, because if you care, then you care since the very beginning and until it grows adult enough. An egg is sort of even more vulnerable than a hatchling. It could get cold, it could be stolen and can't respond even by crying for help.

Sludge is just as incosistent as the others with then ahahahah. :rainbowlaugh:

Can also take forever to hatch - dragon's can't be bothered with that. They'll do the parent thing when their baby proves it's strong enough to come into the world.

(Either that, or blood ties just don't matter and dragons who want kids do first-come-first-served.)

I like that those questions are unanwsered. If they were all explained, we would have very little to write fanfics about. Sometimes it's better that some things are just implied, not shown or explained. It's up to the viewer.

to be fair, I don't think anyone is asking for all of them to be explained, but it would have been nice if at least a few of them were.

Although part of me do wonder if the show meant to have so many answers unanswered because they know about so many fans writing fanfics, so they wanted to leave us plenty of ammo for them. Or, if the writers were just being lazy and/or wrote themselves in corners with some of those questions, but got around it by just not trying to answer them. Or, they just ran out of time to do it.

Leaving things open also lets them come up with the answers later if they think of something good.

7245961 Reminds me of:

We may never now...

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 39