The Writers' Group 9,300 members · 56,502 stories
Comments ( 39 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 39

Let me start by saying that nothing will necessarily come of this, or it might not be written immediately, but I'm willing to try, because I've not seen it be done before, and who knows? Maybe I'll start a trend.

What I want is simple: Users should leave the name of one character in the comments section, each user can only submit one character. Should a fair amount of submissions be made, I would like to take the five most upvoted characters, whoever they might be, and work them into a short story together. (No OC's or unnamed characters though, please.)

So to break it down:
1. Submit a character suggestion if you have one.
2. Upvote whichever comments interest you (please don't write a character's name down if it has already been taken, just upvote the existing comment).
3. I'll take the five most upvoted characters and work them all into a story (if I feel I can!).

Again, no promises that anything will come of this, and if it does, no promises that it will be soon. I just want to see what could be done with a character prompt like this.

Thanks for reading, and feel free to participate!

All Art Is Quite Useless

5873670 Princess Luna! AKA Best Princess/Pony. :raritywink:

Also, can you upvote your own comment, and what's the limit to comments you can upvote?

5873677 I didn't think it was possible to upvote your own comment, huh.

I've not considered a limit yet, I suppose that would be relative to how many comments there are, so for now I'd say you get upto three up votes for every ten suggestions.

Hope that works!

AAIQU

Hayseed Turniptruck

Queen Chrysalis.

having a bunch of villains might be cool, no? :pinkiecrazy: Then those random ones that make it all the better. By the way this is a super cool idea!

5873753 Could be very cool indeed! I feel like the character combinations might very much limit just what the story could feasibly be based on, but I'm interested to see what I can come up with! (If anything.)

I'm glad you like the idea! If it goes well this time, I have a plan for intensifying it a little in future.

Thanks for the suggestion!

AAIQU

gamexpert1990
Group Admin

5873768 That picture actually got me! You've made me laugh way too loud considering how late it is, bad dragon.

AAIQU

True, the more broad the group voted on or the more central? the ones picked could indeed change drastically what could be written for them. I'm interested as well. :pinkiehappy:

Well I hope it goes well then, as I would love to see what else you do with the idea. And you're welcome! :twilightsmile:

Twilight Velvet

This is a very cool idea, and I don't know if I'm hoping the characters fit well or not at all lol

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Dragon Lord Torch.

--Sweetie Belle

Cinder Vel
Group Admin

The one, the only, The Great and Drunk Berry Punch. For every vote others get, she will punch someone.

There have been some interesting submissions so far! I'll keep submissions open for another day or so, okay?

Thanks for all the comments so far!

AAIQU

Hmm. If we upvote your original comment, does that mean you have to write a self-insert? You're not unnamed, and probably not an OC, so . . . :raritywink:

5874203 Now that you've said that I really wanna slap a veto on it! But no, I don't ever intend to write a self-insert, so I would rather not!

Oh yeah, I might make a character suggestion too, anyone mind if I do?

AAIQU

5873670 Since we have some interesting characters here, why not throw in Maud?

5874441 Is it just me or does Maud look a little like Uma Thurman there? Maybe it's just me.

AAIQU

I don't see any point in keeping this running any longer, as the votes seem to have ceased, so let's look at what we've got! And once again, thanks to everyone that participated!

Coming in at first, we have Minuette Colgate, in one of those pairs of sunglasses that nearly everyone owned at some point. So far, great, I've wanted to write a Colgate fic in the past.

Second, we have Fluer! Will be interesting to write her without Fancy Pants, but now I have to link her to Colgate! Of course, logic dictates that Fleur has a dentist's appointment with Minuette, or something like that, but that would be too easy, wouldn't it?

In joint third/fourth we have Tirek and Discord. Writing Tirek with Discord doesn't sound like too much of an issue considering the past these two have, but incorporating Minuette and Fluer? Maybe they're off draining pony power once again, and they burst in on Fluer's tooth whitening session and have a big old fight. Again, too easy.

And in fifth, we have another joint placing between Chrysalis and Tiberius. For the sake of personal interest, I'll pick Chrysalis. But then, where does that leave the last idea? Suppose it could be a battle royale, Tirek trying to drain power and magic, Chrysalis trying to drain love, Discord being Discord, two heroic mares fighting the forces of evil etc etc.... But I'm not going to write that, no way.

I've got an idea of what I could write around these five characters, a tenuous one, but an idea still. It'll take me some time to plot and outline it, but I do plan to begin writing it soon, as I feel the result will be interesting. Will keep everyone who participated (and anyone else who is interested) updated, and I'll tag you all once it's out!

Thanks for helping to make this headache possible,

AAIQU

As much as I'm sad to see Twilight Velvet didn't make it in, I'm super looking forward to this fic now :yay:

Cinder Vel
Group Admin

Well that will going to be pretty fun story. So glad Minuette won but I was far to late submitting Berry. Anyway got to love the wining All-Stars cast, make us all proud!

5875683 Shit man, you should be writing this. That's really not a bad idea! Of course, now that you've had it, I have to try and disregard it, but it totally trumps mine. Back to the drawing board I think!

AAIQU

Wooooooo *cheers* glad me ling Chryssy made it, if only barely. *hoof bumps* I am very excited to see how this turns out, we got three villains(well kind of... Discord 'was' reformed...) against two awesome background ponies, this should be a lot of fun:pinkiecrazy:.
I look forward to the crazy shenanigans they all get into and seeing what you come up with!:pinkiehappy:

About the Fleur/Colgate/Discord/Chrysalis/Tirek fic, I've managed to give it a name and description, I know what I'm writing about, and have the majority of the plot worked out. Now I just need to write it.

AAIQU

Edit: By the way, I know that's a real long wait for something so insubstantial, don't expect that to be representative of how long the actual story will take, I plan to write it fairly soon.

Pretty sure I tagged everyone! (I'm quite tired.) Anyways, update, the story is finished! I recently had a strange form of inspiration that pushed me to conclude the story differently to how I had initially planned, but regardless, it's finally done, after all this time! I bet a lot of you thought I had given up or forgotten about it, but it's done!

So, as soon as it's passed moderation, I'll happily link you to the first and only story to ever use the 'Discord', 'Chrysalis', 'Fleur', 'Colgate', and 'Tirek' character tags all at once. I'd like to thank everyone once again for participating, this story wouldn't have happened if it weren't for those of you that submitted characters, voted, and engaged with me. So, when this story is released, if you submitted a character, or even upvoted one, then you wrote this story just as much as I did. (Am I sharing credit or blame here? I can't tell.)

Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks, and I'll post the link as soon as its ready! (Hopefully shouldn't be too long, now that I've done my part.)

Thanks again!

AAIQU

Awesome. Can't wait to read it. :twilightsmile:

Oooooh, I am so excited to read it! Looking forward to that link! :pinkiehappy::raritystarry:

Glad to see some enthusiasm! I'm surprised to see that anyone remembers this ancient thread still. Well, once the moderators give my story the approval that my father could never give me (joking, chill out.) I'll be straight over here with the link, to show you what everyone's effort resulted in!

AAIQU

Story has been approved and the link is now here: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/370079/antagonistics-anonymous

Thanks again to everyone that participated in the character selection process, I hope that you all enjoy the result, let me know what you think!

AAIQU

Oooooh! *Wiggles in excitement and hurries over to read.*

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 39