The Writers' Group 9,291 members · 56,392 stories
Comments ( 34 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 34

So, how many of you dear writers listen to music while you write? What do you listen to? What do you write when you listen to it? Does it actually help you write? Do I ask way too many questions? Probably.

This is mine.

I listen to this while writing fight scenes against Changeling Hordes.

4811336 I listen to a lot of different music while I write, but a lot of the time I'll listen to some glitch step. It blocks out the white noise and helps me focus while setting a pace for me to write to. I typically listen to metal if I'm writing a fight scene, but I've got several choices as to which bands and subgenres. If I want the feeling of a story or scene to be light, I might switch to something more along the lines of Imagine Dragons. Dubstep and Punk Rock are my genres of choice for comedy. :twilightsmile:

P.S.: Don't be a stranger, K? I miss talking to you. :pinkiesmile:

I listen to music in just about anything. I listen to it when I'm in a car, walking, writing, playing games.....

:applejackunsure: I probably need some help.

But I really like listening to tracks like this:

They're just so catchy, and they get me pumped up to do stuff. which i dont

Me. Owl City. Stories about dreams. Yes. Yes.

4811336 If you're fighting Changelings I suggest used silver instead of steel :derpytongue2:

I usually listen to the soundtrack for legend of korra

Another favourite of mine is this:

So, how many of you dear writers listen to music while you write? What do you listen to? What do you write when you listen to it? Does it actually help you write? Do I ask way too many questions? Probably.

A good deal, I would imagine. Several authors I know do, in any case. For me personally, it depends on what I'm writing. When it does, usually VG OST's {see: Seasons of War } interspersed with various other genres - everything from southern rock to trance. I usually write my less thought-intensive stories when I have music going. For my primary stories I'm all focus so that I don't stick my foot in my mouth with some plot elements and break continuity. It helps me write but not always write well. Mm, depends on who you're asking I suppose. In my opinion, not really.

This is a collection of the best Owl City songs to date. (Or it was to date whenever it was made)

This is a collection of the best Owl City songs to date. (Or it was to date whenever it was made)

Sorry about the double post.

4811336 I listen to just about anything, but when it comes to writing I have a play list set up to help me when I'm writing; it mostly consists of Carlos Santana, Enigma, Enya, Orthodox Celts, and a few others.

Depends on what I want to be in the chapter, and how do I want to write it.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4811336 It's not that it helps me to write. It's just I kind of enjoy listening to music sometimes. It's nice.

I listen to music when I do a lot of things, not just write.

I listen to my favourite NIN album. Here it is:

I like it because it ends with R]right where it belongs and that always makes me feel like I accomplished something

4811336 I usually listen to some tsfh

or this

4811370 but silver for Monsters doesn't sound as cool!
:pinkiehappy:

I can't help but feel that if you're writing fight scenes against changelings, you should be listening to Silver for Monsters instead :trollestia:
EDIT: Damnit, someone beat me to it

Personally, I can't listen to music when I write. I end up paying too much attention to the music (singer instincts are hard to ignore). I just wind up sitting there thinking, "I SHOULD be writing, but damn if that chord progression ain't sexy..."

I don't have specific music to write to.
Its usually a mix of stuff I use for all day.
Nothing with just speaking because that is too distracting.

Current mix
Tool
Rob Zombie
Best of Miles Davis
Static-X

I am getting bored with this mix and will move to another one.
This one might be the next one.

NIN- No quake soundtrack though
Stan Getz
Cal Tjader

Piano Guys. Piano Guys forever.

4811680 Agreed. The Piano guys are awesome.

Those are fighting words. But, as everyone knows, the best battle theme in 3 is

For general stuff? Stvore and similar.

For calmer stuff, I love Atrium Carceri's Phrenitis album.

4811336 Steel is for other monsters...

I listen to lots of stuff while I write. I listen to things like Golubye Berety, Gruppa Kaskad, Vanya Vorobej, Vladimir Vysotskij, Mikhail Krug...

I enjoy listening to various different VGMs while I write. When I want to set up a serene atmosphere, I would use something like Tokyo from Shin Megami Tensei IV or Boundary Between the Wind and Earth from Baten Kaitos Origins. When I want to write a melancholic struggle of character, I would use Melancholia by Hiroyuki Sawano (I know it's not originally a VGM, but it's in Xenoblade X so it counts). Then, when I want to write a battle scene, I listen to the Boss Theme that will appear in Shin Megami Tensei IV Final or something like that. It just has that darkened edge that fits when writing those life and death scenarios.

4811336 I don't listen to anything. I find that listening to anything at all breaks my concentration.

4811659 So close.

4811716 Debatable. :trollestia:

Oh, these old things? Monster slayers. Why do I hold two? One's for killing creatures brought to this world by the Conjunction of the Spheres. Some intelligent, some far less so. Some can even fly.

The other one? That one's for hunting a far more cunning, deceptive kind of monster.

Humans.

-Vesemir

I use one to kill Drowners. I use the other one for kings. And the occasional Wolf.

-Letho of Gulet

I listen to a lot of different things depending on the mood I want to put into the story. A lot of background music. :twilightblush:

4811336 I normally listen to video game soundtracks, such as:

Or this Celtic music by Adrian von Ziegler:

Or other music, depending on the mood of the story.

Cool, I listen to Adrian von Ziegler as well.

Yeah I like to listen to music while I write too. I'm writing a Fantasy Warhammer fic right now so I like to listen to some heavy metal while I write. Here's a couple of examples.

Anything instrumental will do. The point is to shut out my surroundings so I won't be distracted.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 34